AMSTERDAM - Johan Cruijff ArenA (55,134) - UEFA EURO 2020 - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #21
Judazzz
Derp?

Likes (Received): 2811

A picture I snapped last weekend:

It most certainly is an impressive structure, but I don't really like it: too cold and impersonal. And colors of the seats make the the interior look really tacky: I wonder what it would look like in red-white...
Judazzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #22
EPA001

Likes (Received): 11413

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post

We have the same her in Turkey
GS announced his stadium (52,500 with retraceable roof9
6 months later FB announced that they want to increase to 56,509 (+6,000 seats) and add a retraceable roof
Well I like both the planned GS stadium and the Şükrü Saracoğlu stadium. The last one is also a very impressive venue. With an expansion and a retractable roof it will become even better. BTW both teams have probably the most noisy and fanatic supporters in European football. In a even more closed up stadium the sound and noise they will create, must be impressive for any opponent to play there against the home teams!
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #23
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 3024

Actually FB has got big problems with the acoustic. This summer they want to do something against it.
As same Ajax fans already mention, the aqoustic in the ArenA isn't ver good.
This was a big fear of the GS fans.
But thanks to the board, Arena group and asp, it looks we won't have this problem (speciall "Acoustics" steel etc.)

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (2): 2009, 2018

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (2): 2017, 2018
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #24
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

Likes (Received): 8692

this doesnt look at all to be 70 meters in height.

70 meters equals a 18 floors building!

The diagrams at skyscraperpage shows several stadiums with such enourmous heights, and I highly doubt the acuracy.

I think they measure stadiums from the bottom of the FOUNDATIONS below earth to the top of illumination masts and such.
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #25
EPA001

The height is measured from the ground to the top of the arches! That is just over 70 meters I believe. The pitch lies at 12 meters above the ground due to the parking garage underneath. That leaves an interior height of about 48 meters. I am estimating that the arches are close to 8-10 meters or so in diameter.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #26
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

this stadium is a milestone for stadium development and one of the best football stadium in Europe.
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #27
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 203

^The field is one of the worst in the world :P
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #28
Red85
AARRGGHH

Likes (Received): 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuvvaci View Post
this stadium is a milestone for stadium development and one of the best football stadium in Europe.
A milestone of how to make a epic fail. This is rubish. In a football match you are miles away from the pitch, 'cause of a big ditch where you can easely turn a truck in. and for concerts its madeness. echo's all the way. every year I'm in the stadium 15 times or what and every time I think, why does a club like AFC Ajax and a city like Amsterdam deserve this stadium.
Red85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #29
Splish

Likes (Received): 854

+ it looks horrible.
Splish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #30
Red85
AARRGGHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splish View Post
+ it looks horrible.
I forgot that.. actually..
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #31
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Some years ago a Ajax fan said to me this
"Its an event venue and not a Stadium"

Last edited by www.sercan.de; May 17th, 2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #32
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red85 View Post
A milestone of how to make a epic fail. This is rubish. In a football match you are miles away from the pitch, 'cause of a big ditch where you can easely turn a truck in. and for concerts its madeness. echo's all the way. every year I'm in the stadium 15 times or what and every time I think, why does a club like AFC Ajax and a city like Amsterdam deserve this stadium.
I couldn't believe to hear that. I just saw this stadium from outside when I visited your city as a tourist. You know better than me of course. What I see on TV is a wonderful stadium.
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #33
Red85
AARRGGHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
Some years ago a Ajax fan said to me this
"Its a event venue and not a Stadium"
he or she's right. Many of the fans feel that way. including me.
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #34
Kuvvaci
Strange User

actually this arena is mentioned as a good example in Turkey. For example Galatasaray's new stadium is inspired by Amsterdam Arena (though stands are close to the pitch)
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #35
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Kuvvaci this stadium has so many faults. Therefore the Amsterdam ArenA Advisory group was involved in the GS stadium. GS stadium is "the better Ajax stadium" or the "Ajax stadium without faults"
At least we hope so

Old September 9th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #36
EPA001

That could very well be the case! In Amsterdam they have the first soccer stadium which was constructed in this way. However, they could have learned more from stadiums in the US and Canada at the time.

In the end they build a great structure, but with way too many faults to qualify as a great football stadium or as a great concert venue. All new to build stadiums can learn from what went wrong in the Amsterdam ArenA, and can therefore avoid the mistakes. Many have done so, coming up with more classic concepts. Like the Allianz Arena in München or the Emirates Stadium in London, or the Da Luz and the Dragau stadiums in Portugal!
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:36 AM   #37
Zorba
Stadium Fan

Likes (Received): 2

I have always liked this stadium. I don't really see why everyone hates it so much. Yea there is a gap behind the end of the nets and the stands, but there are many arenas with such gaps. The stadium itself is nice looking rom both the exterior and interior as well IMO. The only thing that I don't like about Amsterdam Arena is the color of the seats. I wish they would change them a bit to represent more Ajax colors. Or at least make them all red. Something. The seat design is a really terrible stuck in the mid-90's look.

btw, what is Ajax's average attendance in the Dutch league?
Zorba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #38
Wuppeltje

Likes (Received): 1156

One of the 2 biggest problems of the Amsterdam ArenA seems to have been solved for concerts. At the last Madonna concert in the ArenA the acoustics were good.

Last season Ajax had an average attendance of 49,000. This is average number of sold tickets for each game, not the total number inside the stadium.
Wuppeltje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #39
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA001 View Post
That could very well be the case! In Amsterdam they have the first soccer stadium which was constructed in this way. However, they could have learned more from stadiums in the US and Canada at the time.

In the end they build a great structure, but with way too many faults to qualify as a great football stadium or as a great concert venue. All new to build stadiums can learn from what went wrong in the Amsterdam ArenA, and can therefore avoid the mistakes. Many have done so, coming up with more classic concepts. Like the Allianz Arena in München or the Emirates Stadium in London, or the Da Luz and the Dragau stadiums in Portugal!
so, it is a milestone
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #40
mavn

Likes (Received): 0

In Holland this stadium always raises a heated discussion. Not in the last place because Ajax is the team everybody loves to hate. Every discussion on the Arena is spoiled by people being biased in one way or the other.

In my personal opinion, the Arena is a fantastic structure in which the main purpose was overlooked too much.

The car park underneath was supposed to lower the amount of cars coming into Amsterdam. On days without events Amsterdam hoped people would use it as a car park and go into the city center by metro or train. Nobody does. The car park is luxury thing for business seat holders. Nothing more, nothing less.

The stadium is so enclosed by the roof that the pitch is a disaster. In it's defense, these problems are arising all over Europe with stadiums becoming bigger and more enclosed everywhere.

The ditch around the field is a nineties relic. All stadiums in Holland that were built at the time had some form of ditch because of safety reasons. They even enlarged it a bit because it would easily allow vehicles into the stadium which is handy when building stages for pop concerts. The stadium board keeps insisting that they need it for that purpose, but it's complete nonsense off course. Numerous stadiums in the world are hosting concerts without a ditch. All you need is 1 open corner that leads onto the field. The Arena has 4 plus a ditch... For football it's a huge atmosphere killer.

The acoustics are mediocre. It's not nearly as bad as many people say it is (Apparently people find it very cool to say it sucks...), but it isn't ideal either.

The seat colors have been discussed since it opened. Supporters were promised that they would be replaced by red-white ones. It never happened.

It was the first of it's kind in Europe. Nowadays it's paying the price for that. If it weren't the Ajax stadium it wouldn't be as hated as it is now. All non Ajax fans make fun it. Partly because Ajax went downhill since they moved there most Ajax supporters don't like it to much either. They never got to feel at home...

At the moment the stadium is too much of an event center for football, and to much of a football stadium for events. Hopefully a new stadium will be constructed between 2020 and 2028 for the 2028 OG bid. Ajax could then move in there in 2029, and the Arena could be redeveloped purely as an events center. Together with the nearby "HMH" and the to be built "Getz center" and "Music Box" it would serve best that way. If Ajax were to leave the stadium, half their match days would be filled right away with other events. It could easily survive on its own.

Last edited by mavn; September 9th, 2008 at 03:56 PM.
mavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
amsterdam, amsterdam arena, stadiums, uefa euro 2020