Virtual Trip to Korea by Railway - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Korean Forum 한국 공개토론

Korean Forum 한국 공개토론 Found urban images from all around the world not taken by you

Old February 25th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #61
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Likes (Received): 9132

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydevil View Post
The figures for Seoul is way below the actual length.

IIRC, the Seoul metro system is already well over 500km, and reaching towards 600km. Back in 2000~2001, it was about 480km.

really? then, 500km=310miles.. now, I wonder when the table was made.

* (edit) ah, I found the source came from 2008 data, seeing this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_s...er_rides#Notes (found through this thread What City in the World has the best Transportation System?, post #217)

but the Wiki editor has interest just in ridership at the page.

Last edited by Mussoda; February 25th, 2009 at 06:33 AM.
Mussoda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #62
cydevil
Faith of the Heart

Likes (Received): 787

Whoever made the diagram must have used Wikipedia.

"287 km (179.4 mi) only including sectors operated by Seoul Metro or SMRT"

from Wikipedia.

So that excludes many subway lines, including those operated by Korail.
cydevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #63
jlee

Likes (Received): 108

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,6155826.story

Quote:
Reporting from Seoul -- Lee Suk-hee can stomach much of the belt-tightening that South Korea's gasping economy has asked of her, including fewer shopping sprees and more nights eating dinner at home.

But here's where the 47-year-old homemaker draws the line: Don't try to take away the free reality TV she watches on her cellphone while riding the subway every day.

"I bought this cellphone to watch television," she said during one recent underground trip. "I'd feel really bad if it went away."

It may. Reeling from declining ad revenue and mounting debt from providing the expensive service at no additional cost to subscribers, South Korean cellular operators may soon cancel subway TV coverage that has yet to turn a profit.

Losing underground TV reception may not seem like much to consumers in the U.S., where many are still struggling with cellular dead zones and where a switch to full above-ground digital TV service may leave millions staring at useless analog sets.

But for many South Koreans, subway TV has become a familiar part of their daily routines. Phone companies in this digitally crazed nation in 2005 were the first to launch mobile TV that could be tuned in on phones just about anywhere -- even in the subway tunnels deep beneath Seoul and other cities.

Today, nearly 10 million cellular users are watching soap operas, sports and sitcoms on a special frequency dedicated to portable viewing -- enjoying it all on larger digital-quality screens and high-tech handsets to improve reception.

In Seoul, for example, companies offer eight video and 10 audio channels on new cellphones. There's also a subscription-based satellite service, but few consumers have shelled out for it.

But the proposed changes by cellphone service providers would leave users with only static in the subway, and no TV signal until they hit street level again.

"It's tough. We would love to do this business; however, we don't have the money now," said an official for the union that represents TV content providers, who asked not to be named.

He said the South Korean government should help fund the service in a sort of U.S.-style government bailout. "It is up to our government," he said. "Service on the subway is a public issue."

Cellphone channel-surfing skyrocketed in South Korea during the 2006 World Cup soccer matches. Throughout last year's Beijing Olympics, subway riders crowded around the portable TV screens of fellow passengers for a look.

The service is made possible by so-called transmission network gap fillers that relay signals underground. But each of the half-dozen cellular providers says the service has become too expensive.

In a struggling economy, the providers say, the $250,000 annual fee each pays subway companies for the service is a make-or-break amount.

In a competitive market, it's better to do away with subway TV than ask subscribers to pay for it. The possibility of dropping it all together -- once considered remote -- is now on the table, they say.

Meanwhile, some South Koreans are watching more than two hours of TV a day on their cellphones, and government officials predict that TV-capable phones will soon be as ubiquitous as camera phones are now.

Young tech-savvy consumers here remain hungry for new electronic gizmos. Research shows that South Korean youths replace their cellphones every 11 months. One in three students sends 100 text messages a day. And 97% of cellphone users purchase vanity ring tones from the Internet.

But as the unemployment rate soars, it's uncertain whether cellphone users will reach further into their pockets to pay for subway TV.

On his afternoon subway commute, aboard a train crowded with glum-faced salary men and grandmothers with grocery bags, Kim Tae-woo laughed at a variety TV show. The 16-year-old student said it would be hard to get along without a service he has come to prize.

"I'd be pretty annoyed," he said. "I wouldn't be able to watch TV anymore. That's too bad."

[email protected]

Ju-min Park of The Times' Seoul Bureau contributed to this report.
jlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2009, 12:07 AM   #64
HEREDIANO

Likes (Received): 13

Hi!! for my Korean-costarrican SSC friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmoon85 View Post
Wow Costa Rica!!! Yo soy coreano y vivi en Costa Rica desde 1991-1997!!! Que pais tan bello!!! Creo que es el mas exitoso y el pais mas bonito en Centro America!! Primero vivi en Paraiso, despues en Cartago, despues mude a San Jose en 1994. Fui al colegio americano que se llama Marian Baker School (localizado en Tres Rios) y vivi en San Pedro cerca de Mall San Pedro y tambien en Curridabat cerca de Montes de Oca. I loved Costa Rica!! I live in NEw York now but I miss it like crazy!!!
Thanks for your comments!!
I love toooooo much!! my country too!!
Everyone is our brother there!! ( and ....sister too!!!)
I ´d enjoy ...that you are living good time in NY right now!!

I have ..very much repect for every thing from Korea!! people are so clean and organized!!

CONGRATULATIONS FOR YOU AGAIN!! ( ...and I think : what beautifull surpraise to found here an Korean -Costarrican SSC friend )

See you soon!!!

I´ come here again!! ....and I hope to see you again!!

Last edited by HEREDIANO; March 13th, 2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: corrección
HEREDIANO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM   #65
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

future Busan Metropolitan Subway map.

- current + under construction + planned
- subway + railway + LRT
- Busan + Ulsan + Yangsan + Gimhae

Old May 2nd, 2009, 03:45 PM   #66
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

* about railway/subway topic of korea, you can refer to this thread : Korea Urban Transport
Old July 23rd, 2010, 04:45 AM   #67
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Seoul Metropolitan subway map considering topographic condition
(but not including several lines under construction like Gyeongchun, Arex, No.9 attached part and so on)

http://www.urbanrail.net
Old December 21st, 2013, 03:19 PM   #68
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Gwangmyeong 광명, Seoul Metropolitan

image hosted on flickr

Flickr에서 Robert Koehler님의 Gwangmyeong Station

Gwangmyeong 광명 KTX Station

Old December 22nd, 2014, 07:02 AM   #69
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
Honam HSL helicopter view

can see by bird's-eye view
Old March 8th, 2015, 03:57 PM   #70
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Seoul 서울

ITX-Saemaul 1 by ywpark, on Flickr

ITX-Saemaul 2 by ywpark, on Flickr

ITX-Saemaeul 새마을, Seoul Station 서울역

Old September 5th, 2016, 06:33 AM   #71
riyanoretr

Likes (Received): 0

Wow very amazing, much wow. Thanks
riyanoretr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2017, 05:33 PM   #72
Canson

Likes (Received): 10

There is a resemblance to the French TGV...
Canson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2017, 06:37 PM   #73
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1207

The KTX-I is derived from the TGV Reseau unit. KTX-II is primarily an indigenous design, but both are locomotive-based trainsets; the KTX-III and probably most future high-speed sets will be EMU's.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement