DALLAS - Cotton Bowl (92,107) - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #81
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 216

um, yes it does. In case you didnt know, Michigan and Ohio State people hate each other to the core. I dont know how you can say UM/OSU doesnt transcend football.
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #82
Big Texan

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
um, yes it does. In case you didnt know, Michigan and Ohio State people hate each other to the core. I dont know how you can say UM/OSU doesnt transcend football.
Right, to the core, they truly hate each other to the core, would never work with them, talk to them, drink a beer with them, would kill them if they had a chance because they hate them to the CORE! Please, give me a break about that, no one hates anyone "to the core!"
Big Texan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #83
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texan View Post
Right, to the core, they truly hate each other to the core, would never work with them, talk to them, drink a beer with them, would kill them if they had a chance because they hate them to the CORE! Please, give me a break about that, no one hates anyone "to the core!"
i think you know what i meant
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #84
Big Texan

I know what you meant, but UT OU hatred is the same as UM OSU, UCLA USC, etc etc etc..... I give the UT OU game a edge as the biggest because of the neutral location and the festivity's before and after the game at the Country's greatest state fair.
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #85
Sea Toby

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
i think you know what i meant
You are acting as a troll on a Cotton Bowl thread. If you have never been to Fair Park or to the state fair of Texas, how can you assume? I have been to LA and seen a UCLA-USC game, have you? I have been through Michigan and Ohio, I know what you mean. But the State Fair in my mind changes the atmosphere significantly. The pilgrimage for both fans to travel two hundred miles is significant.
Sea Toby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #86
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Toby View Post
You are acting as a troll on a Cotton Bowl thread. If you have never been to Fair Park or to the state fair of Texas, how can you assume? I have been to LA and seen a UCLA-USC game, have you? I have been through Michigan and Ohio, I know what you mean. But the State Fair in my mind changes the atmosphere significantly. The pilgrimage for both fans to travel two hundred miles is significant.
um, do you know what a troll is? All i did was respond to something i saw here with a neutral point of view. Yes i have been to a USC/UCLA game, my grandparents graduated from the two respectively. I am simply giving my point of view, again being neutral, on this matter. Maybe you shouldnt assume that the Texas/Oklahoma game is the best without looking into Michigan/Ohio State. I really, really dont appreciate you calling me a troll.

BTW, I have been to Fair Park.
Old August 14th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #87
Sea Toby

I welcome you to visit Dallas on this weekend. I suggest you either drive down I-35 or up I-35 to see the pilgrimage. Spend a night in one of our hotels that weekend, it will either be all OU fans or all UT fans the night before the game. Visit the bars of Deep Ellum or the West End of downtown Dallas. Its as great a show as New York's New Years Eve. And I have been to New York Times Square on New Years Eve. I have also been to Disney World and seen their daily parade.

I'm sure MU-OSU are great rivals, but you don't have the atmosphere or festivities of UT-OU. Neither does USC-UCLA. Throughout the American League, everyone hates the Yankees. Their largest attendances are for the Yankees. But there is no atmosphere or festivity. Texas-Oklahoma is not just a game, its a weekend.

Last edited by Sea Toby; August 14th, 2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old August 14th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #88
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Toby View Post
I welcome you to visit Dallas on this weekend. I suggest you either drive down I-35 or up I-35 to see the pilgrimage. Spend a night in one of our hotels that weekend, it will either be all OU fans or all UT fans the night before the game. Visit the bars of Deep Ellum or the West End of downtown Dallas. Its as great a show as New York's New Years Eve. And I have been to New York Times Square on New Years Eve. I have also been to Disney World and seen their daily parade.

I'm sure MU-OSU are great rivals, but you don't have the atmosphere or festivities of UT-OU. Neither does USC-UCLA. Throughout the American League, everyone hates the Yankees. Their largest attendances are for the Yankees. But there is no atmosphere or festivity.
So its not ok for me to "assume", yet it is for you?
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #89
Sea Toby

Riddle. Answer me this. Do nearly all of the Michigan campus and their fans travel to Columbus on a state fair weekend every year? Do nearly all of the Ohio State campus and their fans travel to Ann Arbor on a state fair weekend every year? How 'bout both teams traveling to Chicago every year during a state fair, even if Chicago held a state fair? No, no, and no. Need more be said.
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #90
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 368

I remember Colin Cowherd being shocked when he visited last year. Said he didn't realize the difference between mere rivals and people that can't stand each other.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #91
Big Texan

And Colin Cowherd is a PAC 10 man who hates the Big12, and even he now thinks OU UT is the biggest revelry.
Old August 14th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #92
salaverryo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Does Michigan-Ohio State transcend football as well as sports?

TX-OU goes well beyond football or even sports and well beyond each school
This is how "well beyond" it goes:

When you start smelling sh*t, that means you're in Oklahoma; when you start stepping on it, that means you've reached Texas.
salaverryo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #93
MRichR

Likes (Received): 3

Rivalries are local, and you can't say that "x" rivalry is more intense than "y" rivalry if you've never experienced both. Yes, the UM/OSU rivalry goes far beyond football. Very far. So do other big rivalries. I know Michigan and OSU fans who won't date someone if they went to the other school, or are a fan of the other school, and I've known people to have been turned down for jobs or fired because of it. It's stupid to take it that far, but it happens. It's not unique to UT/OU, you just think it is because that's the big one to you. And the location doesn't make it more intense or better, it just makes it different. You're either crazy or in denial if you think thousands of Michigan or OSU fans invading the others territory every year isn't an intense and raucus scene. Having it at a neutral site adds some things, but it also loses some as well. There's nothing like beating your top rival in a big game on their home turf. Nothing.

Last edited by MRichR; August 14th, 2008 at 10:14 PM.
MRichR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #94
HUSKER
NUEVO ESTADO DE LA LAGUNA

Likes (Received): 963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texan View Post
it and the Rose Bowl are 2 of the last remaining great old stadiums in the country.
And the LA Coliseum
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #95
CzechM8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichR View Post

Rivalries are local, and you can't say that "x" rivalry is more intense than "y" rivalry if you've never experienced both. Yes, the UM/OSU rivalry goes far beyond football. Very far. So do other big rivalries. I know Michigan and OSU fans who won't date someone if they went to the other school, or are a fan of the other school, and I've known people to have been turned down for jobs or fired because of it. It's stupid to take it that far, but it happens. It's not unique to UT/OU, you just think it is because that's the big one to you. And the location doesn't make it more intense or better, it just makes it different. You're either crazy or in denial if you think thousands of Michigan or OSU fans invading the others territory every year isn't an intense and raucus scene. Having it at a neutral site adds some things, but it also loses some as well. There's nothing like beating your top rival in a big game on their home turf. Nothing.
That's a comment I would expect from someone whose biggest rivalry game is a home-and-home.....

The location does make it more intense, and better..... Don't believe me???? Just go to one OU/texas and you will understand for yourself.

A couple of years back Eddie George was a guest of Roy Williams (the REAL Roy Williams - safety for Dallas) and even Eddie said the Michigan/OSU rivalry didn't compare..... I would say his opinion is certainly based on more relevant data than anybody posting on this board.
CzechM8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #96
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechM8 View Post

Roy Williams (the REAL Roy Williams - safety for Dallas)
I,as well as most Dallas fans in TEXAS and around the nation outside oklahoma, can't wait until evil Roy is out of Dallas and we have a chance to bring in the Good Roy. You know, the one that has actually produced since he's been in the NFL. The one that actually does not have a rule that is specific for him.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #97
MRichR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechM8 View Post
That's a comment I would expect from someone whose biggest rivalry game is a home-and-home.....
Uh, I'm not a Michigan or OSU fan. I've experienced both types of rivalries on different levels, and I stick by my statement. Both have their plusses, and both have their drawbacks.
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #98
StuckInOklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
I,as well as most Dallas fans in TEXAS and around the nation outside oklahoma, can't wait until evil Roy is out of Dallas and we have a chance to bring in the Good Roy. You know, the one that has actually produced since he's been in the NFL. The one that actually does not have a rule that is specific for him.
Good Roy? The Roy who couldn't score ONE touchdown against OU in his four years at OU?

Remember this? I know it's painful.

StuckInOklahoma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #99
Big Texan

I hope your not saying good Roy as in the Roy Williams who plays for the Dallas Cowboys who cant cover a tight end to save his life, sucks at basic coverage and has to be taken out of the defense on 3rd downs and when we think the other team will pass.
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:04 AM   #100
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 35

Let's not forget that he forgets how to tackle. He either horse collars them or just simply knocks them into the middle of the field allowing the player extra yardage to turn a decent play into a huge play. He barely can stop the run anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOklahoma View Post
Good Roy? The Roy who couldn't score ONE touchdown against OU in his four years at OU?

Remember this? I know it's painful.

I don't care what either Roy Williams did in college. I care what they are doing now and they are in the NFL and right now, the Roy that went to Texas is outplaying him and producing at a much higher level than the Roy from Oklahoma. He is a liability in the secondary and has been since he was exposed in 2005.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dallas, stadiums