NEW YORK CITY - Yankee Stadium (47,309) - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #101
Sea Toby

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
^ except for the fact that Yankee Stadium's structure and design looks like a piece of shit, something that cant be fixed
Unfortunately, Mr. Steinbrenner doesn't give a hoot about what your think, the only thing that matters is what he thinks is best.
Sea Toby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #102
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 3059

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Sorry, not impressed at all. 10, 000 less upper deck seats does not sit well with many around here. The roof is to shallow, the original stadium had the roof extend nearly to the front of ther upper tier.
That is a gripe I have with many new baseball stadiums. It seem as if they put more an overhang for some faux ornamentation then a really roof. U.S. Cellular in Chicago did this when they refurbished the upper deck a few years ago. Off the top of my head it seems the new Cardinals stadium and San Fran's park do this as well.
Old August 17th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #103
Infrarojo

Likes (Received): 0

gooo gooo mets gooo jajaja
Infrarojo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #104
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 215

one of the reasons they dont put a full extending roof on it because of lighting. The farther back they are set the better the lighting is. If the roof covered all of the upper deck the lights arent set at a good angle to the field.
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #105
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
one of the reasons they dont put a full extending roof on it because of lighting. The farther back they are set the better the lighting is. If the roof covered all of the upper deck the lights arent set at a good angle to the field.
Do you mean for the players or the fans? I dunno, it seems to work for Wrigley just fine. If anything it can be irritating having lights that are to close to the stands. When I went to the current Yankee stadium I found that irritating sitting on the upper deck because you look right across the from you and the lights are near your line of vision which can be irritating.
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #106
coexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Do you mean for the players or the fans? I dunno, it seems to work for Wrigley just fine. If anything it can be irritating having lights that are to close to the stands. When I went to the current Yankee stadium I found that irritating sitting on the upper deck because you look right across the from you and the lights are near your line of vision which can be irritating.
At the same time, Yankee Stadium is widely considered to be one of the best lit stadiums (if not the best lit one), while Wrigley is widely considered to be one of the worst lit stadiums. Both players and experts alike have always said YS is lit up extremely well, while Wrigley can get extremely dark in certain areas of the field, and at certain angles.
coexist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #107
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 215

when night games became a part of the game new stadiums were built without as much of a roof because the lighting was more convenient. With roofs covering the whole upper deck the lights had to shine almost straight down. Having them set a little farther back at a shallower angle is better for the players.
Old August 18th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #108
BobDaBuilder

They should have let George Costanza design the joint. He used to pretend to be an architect.

Now they have Susan Boyle.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #109
Scba

Likes (Received): 1549

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder View Post
They should have let George Costanza design the joint. He used to pretend to be an architect.
I'm sure the offices would have spacious desks.
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #110
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 71

The Yankees offered Yankee Stadium (the current one, obviously) as a venue for the 1994 World Cup (it can fit a soccer pitch), since it's in New York as oppose to Giants Stadium being in New Jersey.

The then mayor of New York and the USSF told them no.

It would have gained another honor as the only stadium to host both World Cup and World Series games had it happened.
Bobby3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #111
salaverryo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
That is a gripe I have with many new baseball stadiums. It seem as if they put more an overhang for some faux ornamentation then a really roof. U.S. Cellular in Chicago did this when they refurbished the upper deck a few years ago. Off the top of my head it seems the new Cardinals stadium and San Fran's park do this as well.
Roofs over the stands in baseball stadiums are just that: ornamentation. They're not really necessary. Why? Because baseball cannot be played in rainy weather. As soon as it starts raining games are suspended. Plus on sunny days if you have big overhanging roofs, they project a shade onto the field that is very bothersome for the players.
salaverryo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #112
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by salaverryo View Post
Roofs over the stands in baseball stadiums are just that: ornamentation. They're not really necessary. Why? Because baseball cannot be played in rainy weather. As soon as it starts raining games are suspended. Plus on sunny days if you have big overhanging roofs, they project a shade onto the field that is very bothersome for the players.

I disagree, I love the option of sitting at Wrigley in the upper deck for three hours in mid-July when it is brutally hot out. Shade can make it a much more pleasant experience for spectators in the summer and for those who want sun there are bleachers or one half of the stadium often times.

I remember going to games at U.S. Cellular before they had kind of roof and it was often brutality hot and uncomfortable during day games and you would get glare in your eyes during night games if you sat in the upper deck.
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #113
nyrmetros

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
The Yankees offered Yankee Stadium (the current one, obviously) as a venue for the 1994 World Cup (it can fit a soccer pitch), since it's in New York as oppose to Giants Stadium being in New Jersey.

It would have gained another honor as the only stadium to host both World Cup and World Series games had it happened.
Yes I do remember reading about this. Ever since this plan was rejected the Yankees had been pushing for a new stadium.
nyrmetros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:50 PM   #114
Sea Toby

Quote:
I disagree, I love the option of sitting at Wrigley in the upper deck for three hours in mid-July when it is brutally hot out. Shade can make it a much more pleasant experience for spectators in the summer and for those who want sun there are bleachers or one half of the stadium often times.

I remember going to games at U.S. Cellular before they had kind of roof and it was often brutality hot and uncomfortable during day games and you would get glare in your eyes during night games if you sat in the upper deck.
The only problem in today's world of suites and television, most games are played at night. The corporate world doesn't take kindly to day baseball. Since the sun is on the horizon, and night falls quickly, roofs to block the sun aren't as important anymore.
Sea Toby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:37 PM   #115
GNU

The old one looks more imposing to me. At least exterior-wise.
GNU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 05:24 PM   #116
El Cholo

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Toby View Post
The only problem in today's world of suites and television, most games are played at night. The corporate world doesn't take kindly to day baseball. Since the sun is on the horizon, and night falls quickly, roofs to block the sun aren't as important anymore.

Roofs make the stadium noise louder, that's another advantage of a roof.
El Cholo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #117
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cholo View Post
Roofs make the stadium noise louder, that's another advantage of a roof.
agreed immensely.
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #118
Mr. Met

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:

They also wanted to have the last event at the Stadium be a Rangers game in the NHL's winter classic game.
Mr. Met no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #119
nyrmetros

Quote:

Some more info aboot this.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...56C0A967958260

and

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...5BC0A967958260
Old August 27th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #120
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 1500

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

More pics: http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=2775638