MIAMI GARDENS - Hard Rock Stadium (64,767) - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:04 PM   #41
salaverryo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

It depends on how well they play, and how many games they win.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
salaverryo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:07 PM   #42
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 1034

They say that after the 2010 Super Bowl, the stadium may possibly be replaced by another corporate sponsor. The stadium has has too many name changes, and we do not want another one. I am already opposed to the cuttent name. It needs to be either Joe Robbie Stadium, Dolphin(s) Stadium, or Orange Bowl II (to respect the memory of the original Orange Bowl Stadium). Naming Rights to corporate sponsors are not acceptable and should be banned from this stadium.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.

Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:58 PM   #43

Likes (Received): 1487

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
^ A shark that walks on land. What else did you think it was?

This is still funny, everytime I see it.
I love the expression on the "landsharks" face.

Btw, I think they should demolish it and build a new one by Biscayne Bay.

1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:34 PM   #44
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 1034

Grrrrr... Sir, don't even think about demolishing Joe Robie Stadium, especally for a new sporting facility in Biscayne Bay. It's way too modern and fit for the 21st Century for demolition.

Sometime ago a proposal surfaced for a retractable roof to be added to the stadium. That job is impossible.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.

Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #45

Likes (Received): 1487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Grrrrr... Sir, don't even think about demolishing Joe Robie Stadium, especally for a new sporting facility in Biscayne Bay. It's way too modern and fit for the 21st Century for demolition.

Sometime ago a proposal surfaced for a retractable roof to be added to the stadium. That job is impossible.
Sure, Joe Robie is a nice stadium and all, but seriously, in the middle of nowhere. And it's getting older and older...

I mean, look at AA Arena. Image that, times 10. Downtown folk could walk to the stadium and watch football.

And Super Bowl... Imagine the SB in the middle of freakin Miami!

1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #46
MicroX

Likes (Received): 23

I haven't gone to this stadium in years. Last time I went was a Dolphins game against the Chargers (which Dolphins won 30-3).

I grew up calling the stadium Pro Player (though my parents were used to Joe Robbie Stadium). Anyway, I hate it being renamed every other year. Seriously, LandShark?? I agree with those that this stadium should be reverted back to something like Joe Robbie or Dolphin Stadium.

MicroX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 05:31 AM   #47
danVan

Likes (Received): 212

aaaaaaand, new name is..............Dolphin Stadium
http://cbs4.com/local/dolphin.stadiu...2.1408305.html

danVan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:18 AM   #48
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 3061

Miami - Land Shark Stadium addition (aka Dolphins stadium)

I thought there was a thread having to do with Dolphins / Landshark Stadium but I can't seem to find it.

Quote:
http://www.miamiherald.com/101/story/1414408.html

Dolphins unveil designs for stadium makeover
With a square roof and an open center, a new Miami Dolphins stadium could help lure more Super Bowls to South Florida. Should the public pay for the construction effort? The team would like an answer

BY DOUGLAS HANKS
[email protected]

The Miami Dolphins proposed an extensive retrofit of the team's stadium on Thursday -- including a partial roof -- and invited a debate on whether the public should pay for the renovation.

Without the new 621,000-square-foot roof and other modifications, the Super Bowl may not return to South Florida after its played at the stadium Feb. 7, Dolphins CEO Mike Dee said at a press event. He declined to estimate how much the retrofit would cost or commit the team to paying for any of it. Two local Super Bowl organizers earlier put the price at between $200 million and $250 million.

The presentation set the stage for the stadium to pursue public dollars as local and state leaders grapple with grim budget shortfalls. But even after Thursday's presentation, it was unknown what exactly the Dolphins wanted in terms of public financing.

Dee said the Dolphins do not need the stadium improvements for regular season games, and that it was up to local Super Bowl organizers to decide if the renovations are worth pursuing. Rodney Barreto, chairman of South Florida's Super Bowl Host Committee, declined to say which public funds he might pursue.

Dee and Barreto tied the renovation with the economic windfalls that come with Super Bowls and other large stadium events, including Orange Bowl and World Cup soccer.

``This is Corporate America at its best. They're going to be here wining and dining,'' Barreto said of Super Bowl's deep-pocketed visitors. ``The worst thing we can do as a community is to say -- and I hear this often -- `Don't worry. It's coming again.'''

Dee said the team has not calculated how much the construction would cost. He also said he had no suggestion for where to find public dollars for the renovation, saying the team ``would leave no rock unturned'' in searching for a way to get the work done.

Asked if the Dolphins would invest in the effort, Dee said it was too early to say. But he noted previous owner Wayne Huizenga had spent about $250 million in recent years on renovations to the privately owned stadium -- work that current owner Stephen Ross paid for in buying the team.

``We're talking about Phase Two'' of the renovation Huizenga began, Dee said.

Tourism officials oppose using hotel taxes to fund stadium improvements at the expense of local convention centers. Miami-Dade commissioners last year pledged hotel taxes to more than $300 million in debt for a new Florida Marlins baseball stadium.

The plans Dee unveiled would bring the biggest change to the Dolphins home field since it opened as Joe Robbie Stadium in 1987. Four spar-like pylons would jut from the stadium corners to support the square roof, resembling bridge spans from the highway as spectators approached Dolphin Stadium.

The roof itself would allow natural light and rain in through the open center, but would cover all 75,000 seats. That would prevent the sort debacle that still makes organizers wince: the 2007 deluge that soaked spectators at the 2007 Super Bowl championship at the stadium.

Along with new stadium lights, the Dolphins would add about 3,000 seats in the lower bowl -- filling up the space by the sidelines needed to accommodate a baseball field when the Marlins moved in 17 years ago.

Last edited by nomarandlee; January 8th, 2010 at 03:51 AM.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:39 AM   #49
Dexter Morgan

Likes (Received): 96

Dexter Morgan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #50
miguelon

Likes (Received): 660

San Siro???? nice renders, but with the video screens in the corners, seems that a lot of seats will be lost, at least some 4,000.

miguelon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #51
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelon View Post
San Siro???? nice renders, but with the video screens in the corners, seems that a lot of seats will be lost, at least some 4,000.
Yeah but it said they are adding 3,000 seats to the lower bowl, so all works out.

en1044 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #52
en1044
Unregistered User

Miami seems to now be a lock to host matches should the US get a World Cup.

en1044 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #53
Dexter Morgan

Likes (Received): 96

Yeah, plenty of room for more seats, no need for all that room now that the baseball won't be played there.

image hosted on flickr

Dexter Morgan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #54
pamirez

Likes (Received): 35

nice renders. This could also be a great soccer stadium

pamirez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #55
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;...ress&type=lgns

Improvements for Dolphins Stadium include massive ‘umbrella,’ plans have not been ‘priced out’
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
13 hours, 47 minutes ago

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. - A massive 621,000 square-foot "umbrella" that would shield fans from rain is the centrepiece of a proposal unveiled Thursday to upgrade the Miami Dolphins' home for future Super Bowls.

No price tag was put on the open-air covering or other improvements for Dolphin Stadium. Also left unaddressed was the question of who would pay for it, as officials explore various options to have public funds underwrite at least part of the bill.

"This is not a plan that has been priced out," Dolphins CEO Mike Dee told a South Florida Super Bowl Host subcommittee appointed to review the proposal. "We're not at a point where we've figured out financing or figured out how to make it work. But we want to leave no stone unturned to see how we can work it out."

NFL owners will vote in May on the 2014 Super Bowl host, as South Florida competes against Phoenix, Tampa and a new Meadowlands facility near completion for the New York Giants and Jets.

"I know there are other cities ready; they're up and running," host committee chairman Rodney Barreto said. "If we walk in there and say we're kind of yes, kind of no - we're going to fall to the bottom of the line."

Funding could be sought from the state, or various combinations of city and multi-county funds. With many events also taking place in the Fort Lauderdale area, Broward County also receives a significant slice of the game's economic impact.

It could be a difficult sales pitch, though, in tough economic times with an electorate that historically has turned thumbs-down to stadium tax initiatives. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross and former owner H. Wayne Huizenga privately footed the bill for some $250 million in improvements to land next month's game.

"This doesn't make money for the Dolphins," said committee member Dick Anderson, the Dolphins' Hall of Fame safety and former host committee chair. "People need to realize it's in the community's interest to have major sports events in South Florida."

Dolphin Stadium's proposed roof would be a steel-and-metal suspension structure built over the seating area and concourses, leaving the playing field still exposed to the elements.

"We need to look at this less like a roof and more like an umbrella," Dee said. "It's going to let a lot of light through. It won't be a dark facility."

Seattle's Safeco Field has a similar concept, and Dee noted the proposed design has been used for a handful of European soccer stadiums.

The proposal is in response to suggestions from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell that the 23-year-old facility - known as Land Shark Stadium until a sponsorship deal expired Wednesday - needs upgrades to stay competitive in bidding for future Super Bowls.

South Florida will host the Super Bowl for a record 10th time on Feb. 7, its fifth visit to Dolphin Stadium. The game's last venture to the region, though, left folks all wet three years ago.

Torrential rain pelted the stadium area not long before kickoff, leaving fans who paid an average price of US$800 scrambling for shelter. TV cameras showed large sections of empty seats that evening.

Dallas will stage next year's Super Bowl in its new $1 billion Cowboys Stadium, now completing its first season. Indianapolis, which also opened retractable-roof Lucas Oil Stadium this year, follows in 2012.

Old January 8th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #56
Christopher26

Likes (Received): 1

Home of the superbowl this year

Christopher26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #57
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Teal seats would be an improvement over the orange but I think they should stay away from the pastels.

Old January 8th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #58
massp88

While this really is not necessary and the taxpayers of South Florida should not have to fund this, this would be a very unique stadium for the US. There aren't any stadium with a European style covering for the stands, while not having a retractable roof.

massp88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #59
Huskies

Likes (Received): 51

as of right now , isnt Qwest Field the only stadium in america with a partially covering roof ? so dolphin stadium would only be the second right ?

Huskies no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #60
massp88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskies View Post
as of right now , isnt Qwest Field the only stadium in america with a partially covering roof ? so dolphin stadium would only be the second right ?
Qwest is not like the proposal for Dolphin, as all stands will be completely covered. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the main purpose of the roof at Qwest for noise amplification?

massp88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
miami