MONTREAL - Stade Olympique / Olympic Stadium (65,255) - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #1
bubomb

Likes (Received): 3

MONTREAL - Stade Olympique / Olympic Stadium (65,255)

Is it true that the roof and massive crane have never actually been used because they made an arse of it? If this is true, then the stadium is poor as it's actual design and building has never been completed.
bubomb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #2
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Isn't the stadium now the city zoo and not even used for sports any longer?
BobDaBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 06:53 AM   #3
Zaqattaq

Likes (Received): 81

There is a zoo in the park but the Expos played in the stadium until they moved to
D.C. last year

I suggest the fine Japanese garden there
Zaqattaq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #4
reluminate

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubomb
Is it true that the roof and massive crane have never actually been used because they made an arse of it? If this is true, then the stadium is poor as it's actual design and building has never been completed.
I think it worked once, but somehow it wouldn't work again. The current roof was built shortly afterwards as a permananet roof and can't even possibly be opened.
reluminate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #5
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 318

The Biodome (not a traditional zoo) isn't where the stadium is, but where the Velodrome was. From Wikipedia:

The Montreal Biodome is a facility located in Montreal that allows visitors to walk through replicas of four ecosystems found in the Americas: a tropical forest, a Laurentian forest, an estuary habitat modeled on the Gulf of Saint Lawrence, and a polar area divided into Arctic and Antarctic zones. All the exhibits are housed inside the Velodrome (cycling stadium) that was used for the 1976 Summer Olympics, with each of the four environments taking up a portion of the stadium. A variety of animals live in each simulated habitat, ranging from macaws in the tropical forest to lynx in the Laurentian forest to penguins in the Antarctic zone.

The Olympic Stadium is now a multi-purpose facility, with trade shows and I think there are still some sporting events.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #6

That Olympics was a complete and utter shambles from what I heard infact I've heard that the city is still paying it off.
2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 05:34 PM   #7
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 315

I saw the Expos there three seasons ago. The place is enormous. If it was in Europe they would easily have crammed in more seats.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #8
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 318

It's a shame the last few seasons (ten maybe?) they even closed the upper deck. Only parts of the stadium were open to the public during the Expos games.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:21 AM   #9
You are to blame

Likes (Received): 555

it's still a spoting facility not a zoo
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:35 AM   #10
dewback

Likes (Received): 2

True, the 1976 Olympic games were a financial disaster, but despite its problems Stade Olympique is still one of the most beautiful stadiums ever. I heard Montreal will end the special Olympic related taxes this year. Perhaps they can celebrate by hosting the Olmypics again, lol.
Old November 15th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #11
mtlteg

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005
That Olympics was a complete and utter shambles from what I heard infact I've heard that the city is still paying it off.
The city has finally paid it off, it happened this year. A mere 30 years after the olympics were held here.
mtlteg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #12
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 11343

The main reason the Montreal games went overbudget was due to the 1972 tragedy in Munich. When Montreal was awarded the Games in 1969 security wasn't a major financial headache it is today, and not much was budgeted for. When 1972 happened, the IOC put security at the top of the agenda, forcing Montreal to overspend to be safe rather than sorry.

Plus from what I've learnt the stadium design changed at a late stage, with the Mayor wanting a high structure to give the stadium a marker on the skyline, and this was integrated with the retractable roof, a technology that had never been used before. Of course, this went way over the original budget.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #13
Genç
re re re ra ra ra

Likes (Received): 71

Even so, it was worth it
Old November 15th, 2005, 07:44 PM   #14
bubomb

Does anybody have any interior pics? and does the dustbin style roof actually work? as i've never seen it open.
Old November 16th, 2005, 06:53 AM   #15
Kai Tak

Quote:
Untrue!

Though the stadium itself opened for the 1976 Summer Olympics, the retractible roof and assembly was not completed until 1988. It was made of Kevlar of all things, was hoisted by 26 cables connected to the tower, and took roughly 45 minutes to open or close. The concept was, to retract the roof, the cables will pull the membrane into the cavity near the top of the adjacent inclined tower. Here it is in action:

To deploy the roof, the cables in the tower are slackened, and cables attached to the roof of the stadium are pulled tight, stretching it over the entire surface like so:

Unfotunately, it's a complex system, and many parts of it failed frequently. The cost to just maintain the system was around $700,000 a year, so the whole concept of using the retractible roof was abandoned at the end of 1991. It remained as a fixed roof until 1997, when it was removed, and in 1998 a permanent roof was put over it.

Hope that helps!

alexandru.mircea liked this post
Kai Tak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 06:55 AM   #16
Kai Tak

Quote:
Does anybody have any interior pics? and does the dustbin style roof actually work? as i've never seen it open.
You can find a bunch of interior pics here: http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/p...%20Stadium.htm

Scroll to the bottom and there's more pics you can click and enlarge.
Kai Tak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:05 AM   #17
CrazyCanuck

Likes (Received): 29

It is a nice stadium, even though its 30 years late on its bills.
CrazyCanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #18
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Likes (Received): 9

Nice stadium that was ahead of it's time but it's a shame they couldn't make a permanent retractable roof viable.

Does anyone have pics of this stadium during the Olympics? What was the capacity then compared to now?

What is it used for now that the Expos have gone?
NavyBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:44 AM   #19
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 55

There's an interesting video of it here: http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-41-1316...c_games/clip12

There's an interesting snippet of the deployment of the roof on a scale model. You'll see how it's supposed to work.

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #20
bubomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by boybaha
There's an interesting video of it here: http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-41-1316...c_games/clip12

There's an interesting snippet of the deployment of the roof on a scale model. You'll see how it's supposed to work.

Great video. A far as I can tell this stadium has been a disaster. It cost 900 million for a stadium that doesn't work. It has a huge tower that serves no function and from the inside the stadium is very ordinary looking with an ordinary capacity (it also has dated and looks very 70's). The tower looks good, but it doesn't serve it's purpose and therefore is a huge mistake. 900 million is a ridiculous amount of money for a stadium that doesn't work. Judging by the video, Canadians agree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
montreal