MONTREAL - Stade Olympique / Olympic Stadium (65,255) - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #21
EllasOle

Likes (Received): 4

The money that was spent on this stadium was ridiculous. They spent 900 million in the early 70s till the late 80s when they finally completed it. That would equal to something much more these days. Even now, most stadiums being built that are state of the art and have similar capacities don't cost more than 4-500 million. I know that it gets cold in Montreal, and I can see why they wanted a retractable roof as they didn't want the Olympics in an indoor dome-like stadium. The fact that they thought that some fabric can do the job in a city like Montreal was a HUGE miscalculation. The weather in Montreal and can be harsh with very heavy rain and snowfall over the couse of the year and they chose a design that was not adequate for a city with such unstable weather.
EllasOle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2005, 01:11 PM   #22
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubomb
Great video. A far as I can tell this stadium has been a disaster. It cost 900 million for a stadium that doesn't work. It has a huge tower that serves no function and from the inside the stadium is very ordinary looking with an ordinary capacity (it also has dated and looks very 70's). The tower looks good, but it doesn't serve it's purpose and therefore is a huge mistake. 900 million is a ridiculous amount of money for a stadium that doesn't work. Judging by the video, Canadians agree.
The tower does still hold up the roof doesnt it? Just it can't retract it anymore.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:32 PM   #23
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 318

It has a pretty nice observation deck too (the tower).
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #24
malek
www.mtlurb.com

Likes (Received): 79

I saw the roof being retracted during an Expos game, wow it was awesome to watch.

Can anyone give me the construction price of the Skydome in Toronto, I'm sure it was over the Billion $ mark. Well, the Olympic Stadium is about 50% larger, it is huge huge.

The capacity at the olympics were about mid 70K, it was then transformed to be a baseball park with around 56k seating capacity ( i was at an expos game with 55000 people, crazy).

The fourth level was closed these last years because the Expos didn't attract enough people apart from the opening game.

Finally, Taillbert, the stadium architect complained that the final building didn't respect his plans and its the reason why the roof had huge problems. The builders complain that Taillbert plan were unfeasible... so its hard to see who's fault it really is.

For the guy saying Montreal's winters are harsh, yes maybe harsh (on average 3 degrees cooler than Toronto in the winter an 2 degrees in the summer) but is not the reason why the roof failed.

The Montreal tower is an observation deck, a tourist attraction.
malek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #25
bubomb

Likes (Received): 3

It wasn't built to be mainly an observation deck or a tourist attraction. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't even look close to a 900 million dollar stadium. It has also aged badly and looks very very 70's, wheras the Olympic stadium in Berlin is an example of a timeless classic that will never age. For 900 million, I would want a lot lot more class.
bubomb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #26
malek
www.mtlurb.com

huh The tower was built, other than the obvious, to hold the roof and serve as an observation deck. What are you talking about?

Have you seen it in person? Have you been inside? That 900 M$ if I remember correctly served to build the velodrome and the biggest interior parking garage in Canada (maybe the world till recently) underneath with around 5000 parking spots.
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:37 PM   #27
bubomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by malek
huh The tower was built, other than the obvious, to hold the roof and serve as an observation deck. What are you talking about?

Have you seen it in person? Have you been inside? That 900 M$ if I remember correctly served to build the velodrome and the biggest interior parking garage in Canada (maybe the world till recently) underneath with around 5000 parking spots.
It was built to hold the roof, the observation deck is an obvious bonus when building a tower. It was not built as an observation deck, as if they were building an observation tower then they wouldn't have built it there. The observation deck is simply a bonus that comes with building a large tower to hold a roof up.

I have seen it in person, and it's very poor compared to the new stadiums in Germany etc. I realise it's your home town and you want to stick up for it, but it looks like a run of the mill, fairly large, dated 70's concrete stadium, with a bizarre big tower. Stade de France, for example, cost half as much and is far far better. 900 million seems a stupid price for that stadium.

If you want a proper stadium, then check out the Olympiastadion in Berlin, now that's a classic stadium (and the refurbishment cost a remarkably low £165 million, money very well spent)

Last edited by bubomb; November 17th, 2005 at 11:42 PM.
Old November 18th, 2005, 12:02 AM   #28
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 229

Is that 900 million canadian or US dollars?
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #29
uptownliving

Likes (Received): 1

I think its a great stadium that is truly unique on this planet. I went there a few years ago and rode the funicular to the top...great view.
uptownliving no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 02:21 AM   #30
Reptilikus

Likes (Received): 4

Who are the Expos?
What sport do they play?
Reptilikus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 03:56 AM   #31
KGB

Likes (Received): 51

As an architectural concept and sculpture, the thing is gorgeous. Too bad it never turned out as designed.

And I think the cost is well over $900 million. I'm pretty sure the origional cost at the time the Olympics opened was $1 billion (being only half built)...add in the completions years later (tower and roof), major repairs and interest...and I hear quotes of the total cost for 2006 at between $2.4 to $2.8 billion.

"The main reason the Montreal games went overbudget was due to the 1972 tragedy in Munich. When Montreal was awarded the Games in 1969 security wasn't a major financial headache it is today, and not much was budgeted for. When 1972 happened, the IOC put security at the top of the agenda, forcing Montreal to overspend to be safe rather than sorry."

I'm sorry, but the massive cost over-runs for the 76 Mtl games was NOT do to "security" at all.

"Can anyone give me the construction price of the Skydome in Toronto, I'm sure it was over the Billion $ mark."

Skydome cost around $600 million in the end (hotel, etc). The big difference being, the roof worked from day one, and it's still there...being used. I wouldn't call it pretty though.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #32
bubomb

$2.8 billion!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus, what a waste of money!!!!!!!
Old January 14th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #33
megadrinker

Likes (Received): 0

hey guys, look at this website : http://www.rio.gouv.qc.ca/
megadrinker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #34
malek
www.mtlurb.com

KGB no offence but you're way off with your numbers.

Here are the official numbers:

The construction costs, as at October 31, 2003
(in millions of $) and Percentage

Stadium 839 $ 56,9%
Montréal Tower 175 $ 11,9%
Total for the Stadium-Tower complex 1014 $ 68,8%
Parking lots 107 $ 7,3%
Sports Centre 54 $ 3,7%
Velodrome 83 $ 5,6%
Biodome (cost of transforming the Velodrome) 50,0 $ 3,4%
Outside tracks and fields 40,0 $ 2,7%
Thermal power plant 4 $ 0,3%
Total for the Olympic Park 1 352 $ 91,7%
Olympic Village 122 $ 8,3%
Grand total 1 474,0 $ 100,0%

So the cost of the tower and Stadium cost 1B$, if you want to account in the rest of the olympic structures, then add another 460Millions.
Old January 14th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #35
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 6011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptilikus
What sport do they play?
For the moment: none.
I think they should use Olympic stadium it for soccer. A real team called "Olympique de Montréal": with that kind of initials (O.M), they could win everything. "Droit au but !!!"
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #36
malek
www.mtlurb.com

we have the soccer team impact de Montreal and they play in another mini stadium (built too for the olympics)... but now the stadium is too small, and the team will built a new stadium just for soccer. The impact attracts the most people in the league with an average of 11000 people.
Old April 1st, 2006, 07:44 AM   #37
Penhorn
alps @ SSP

Likes (Received): 5

I visited the stadium last year, it was really nice. Hope they don't tear it down.
Penhorn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #38
Maccabi

Fantastic stadium but i think i have heard it has been full of problems since it was built
Maccabi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #39
malek
www.mtlurb.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penhorn
I visited the stadium last year, it was really nice. Hope they don't tear it down.
they won't... cause it'll cost another 500 to 800 millions to tear down.

you guys have no idea how big is this thing.

The latest news about it, is to give it a new roof.

And upgrade the training facilities inside for Olympic athletes.
Old April 5th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #40
Captain Flaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by malek
they won't... cause it'll cost another 500 to 800 millions to tear down.

you guys have no idea how big is this thing.

The latest news about it, is to give it a new roof.

And upgrade the training facilities inside for Olympic athletes.
I don't think it would cost that much. They blow up massive towers in Glasgow all the time, and it doesn't cost much. Just strap on some explosives, tell the locals to piss off for a few hours, and BOOM!! The odd person dies from flying bricks etc, but that is only to be expected.
Captain Flaps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
montreal