MONTREAL - Stade Olympique / Olympic Stadium (65,255) - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2006, 02:18 AM   #81
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 29

Ouch!

That was...

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2006, 03:59 AM   #82
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 318

No, it's still useful, and beautiful! What a darn shame Labatt Park never saw the light of day. Is there anything in that space now?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 04:08 AM   #83
Canadian Chocho

I knew this was going to happen! Damn you Mr. Fusion!!

1 2 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2006, 04:31 AM   #84
bnk

Likes (Received): 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaP187 View Post
yeah man, you cannot break down an olympic stadium, it is un heard off (or is it?)

Chicago plans on doing it for the 2016 Olypiad.
bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 04:41 AM   #85
bnk

Likes (Received): 804

A white elephant

A white elephant is a supposedly valuable possession whose upkeep costs exceed its usefulness, and it is therefore a liability. The term derives from the white elephant of East Asia, which is high-maintenance and has no practical use, but is considered sacred in Burmese culture (and therefore cannot be neglected or abandoned). A common elephant is expensive enough to maintain, considering the amount of food and water it requires. Thus it is considered a good idea to gift a white elephant to an enemy in the hope of bringing them to financial ruin.
In Sri Lanka the term is also used to imply that something is good to look at on the outside but is in fact only a waste of resources.

Example.

Montreal Olympic Stadium. Initially built for the 1976 Summer Olympics, its primary use became the home of the Montreal Expos until the team relocated in 2004. Aside from a few tradeshows, the stadium sits vacant most of the year due to structual instabilities, its poor interior design, and inconvenient location. Total cost of construction was over C$1 billion dollars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stade_Olympique

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_elephant
bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #86
Mr. Fusion
Just A Pilot... :-)

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chocho View Post
I knew this was going to happen! Damn you Mr. Fusion!!
Sorry... I could not help myself!

Joking aside, my friends and I loved the design of Labatt Park because it broke the ad-nauseum trend of retro ballparks. It would have been something special!

Mr. Fusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #87
Neda Say

Likes (Received): 105

Really there was no need to bring the Parc Labatt story in here. It still hurts me to think that the expos are now winning some games (well sort off) under the name Washington Nationals.
Just for the info the site of Labbat Park is now, at least partially, occupied by residential housing.
Neda Say no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #88
Canadian Chocho

Ok back on topic!

1 2 3
Old November 16th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #89
Mesh22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaP187 View Post
yeah man, you cannot break down an olympic stadium, it is un heard off (or is it?)
Melbourne did. The MCG was rebuilt for the 1956 Olympics was demolished again in 2001 to make way for the redevelopment for the 2006 Commonwealth Games.

MCG, 1956 Olympic Games

MCG, 2006 Commonwealth Games (this pic would be from the exact same vantage point in the new stadium, 50 years later!)

London also did the same with Wembley used for the 1948 Olympics. Several others from the early 20th century no longer exist.
Mesh22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #90
Mesh22

Likes (Received): 1

Mesh22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #91
Neda Say

Likes (Received): 105

Part of the future of the Big O lies with the Saputo Stadium to be build on the site of the athletic track behind it. I don't think Montreal will be without a major stadium too long anyway.

The point is Montreal can't consider "herself" as a big city without a stadium and I think the Big O will have a successor before too long but I'll be sad on the day that old friend will go down.
Neda Say no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #92
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 1494

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/news_stor...88973&hubname=

Quote:
Report: Olympic Stadium finally paid off

TSN.ca Staff

12/19/2006 1:52:56 AM

After 30 years of swimming in debt, it appears Montreal's Olympic Stadium has been paid off.

According to the La Presse in Montreal, the last cheque has been delivered to Quebec Finance Department.

The state-of-the-art stadium was built to host the 1976 Olympic Summer Games but cost overruns and several structural issues turned it into a financial disaster.

The province used tax money generated from cigarette sales to cover a percentage of the mounting debt.

The stadium became the home of baseball's Montreal Expos and the CFL's Montreal Alouettes over the years and hosted the famous Sugar Ray Leonard-Roberto Duran welterweight title fight.
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #93
Jonestowncultinpicto

Likes (Received): 0

BLOW IT UP. The Seattle King Dome was imploded and has just as much concrete. Contray to Myth no Metro line run underneath the BIG OWE.

Autoshows will not touch it with the ice storm and roof colapse in 1999 whihc heaveily damaged new cars and injuried workers on the floor . The montreal autoshow has moved to the Bell Centre since the 1999 incident.
The new Roof installed in 1999 (the third in less then 15 years) cost 6 million a year over the next 30 for financing and it was found the spring of 2006 that they will have to replace the newest fabric as it will not last the 30 year term for the financing. The BIG OWE and the olympic installation broad costs 30 million a year and the city of montreal refused to take it over when offered by the province in october.

There is no tennant with maybe the exception of the montreal company
FIELD TURF. which probably put a surface in for emergancy purchases of their high demand product. I believe that is where the New England patriots got their Field Turf a couple of weeks ago in such fast fashion.

The aloulettes are trying to expand molson preval stadium and the saputo stadium is only 15000 seats for the impact.

Major League baseball will never occupy the stadium, that was what the purposed labatts stadium was about. Montreal could not deleiver so off went the expos to washington DC.

As to an olympic stadium not being torn down Turner Field hardly looks like
the 1996 olympics stadium as it was converted to baseball for the atlanta braves. About a third of the original grandstand for the 1996 games does not exist. St louis does not have their olympic stadium, Seoul South Korea's 1988 stadium was not even able to host the Fifa world cup in 2002 because it is bascially abandoned and falling apart.

Time matches on and we should leave the biggest embrassment this country has ever had to the wreckers ball . The second biggest embrassment was Meribel airport. Montreal has to get pass reliving the BIG OWE/EXPO 67/MERIBEL nightmare that lives with the city today thanks to one Mayor Jean Drapeau. Per Olympic Montreal was the biggest city in canada and the financial centre. The Olympics destroyed that by opening the Provincial Liberals to election defeat and the spiral of a PQ government
Jonestowncultinpicto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 04:24 AM   #94
Mr. Fusion
Just A Pilot... :-)

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonestowncultinpicto View Post
St louis does not have their olympic stadium
Incorrect. Francis Field is home to various sports on the campus of Washington University - St. Louis.

Mr. Fusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #95
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 463

Jim I have to call you also on Seoul's stadium while it was neglected after the olympics it is still used today and is still in its original shape. The reason for not being used for the WC was maybe because of the running track?
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #96
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 1494

Considering how long it has been and how controversial it always was, I thought I have to post another article on the same news:

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...cb77ce&k=16065

Quote:
The Big O is the Big Owe no longer

Montreal Gazette

Published: Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The bill for the Olympic Stadium and other facilities of the 1976 Olympic games was finally paid off in mid-November, bringing its final price tag to nearly $1.5 billion.

However, the special tax on tobacco that was instituted in 1976 to pay for the games won't be lifted to give smokers a break.

The money in the Special Olympic Fund, which amounts to about eight per cent of Quebec's annual tobacco tax revenue, will be split into two new funds for sports and culture.

If there is any surplus, it will roll back into Quebec's consolidated revenue fund, a spokesperson for the province's finance minister said.

The Olympics were initially estimated in 1970 to cost no more than $120 million, but the debt climbed higher as the problems with the stadium's roof multiplied.

Despite the problems, the Quebec government is committed to maximizing the Olympic facilities, said a spokesperson for the minister of tourism, which oversees the site.

The new Impact soccer stadium is to be built on the site, and an engineering firm is currently in the process of laying the plans for a new permanent roof.

However, a 1976 law stipulated the Olympic Stadium would be handed back to the city of Montreal once the debt was paid off.

The Tourism Department said they will make that decision once the debt becomes official in a few weeks, but in the meantime the city’s executive committee has made itself clear – they want absolutely no part of it.

The stadium is too expensive, too old, and has too many problems, said Francine Sénécal, the executive committee member responsible for sports.

“Since the stadium was paid for by all Quebecers, it should belong to all Quebecers for use by all Quebecers,” Sénécal said.
Old December 20th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #97
Jonestowncultinpicto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin W View Post
Jim I have to call you also on Seoul's stadium while it was neglected after the olympics it is still used today and is still in its original shape. The reason for not being used for the WC was maybe because of the running track?
The Berlin olympic stadium was the host stadium for the final games this year complete with running track in tact and it has probably been upgraded.
Lovely blue and white coloring of the lanes.
Old December 20th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #98
Jonestowncultinpicto

the events this year and last in the BIG OWE were eastern conference CFL finals which are declining for draw. THe Out Games and maybe monster truck and motocross???? that is not enough to justify 30 million dollars of maintanence.
The year before Fina had part of the world aquatics championship in the building and the city of montreal lost 5 million of the deal. both the province and feds were on the hook for 16 million a peice. There is one building left from expo 67 in tact and functioning. Montreal can see when they have no use for something and it is a drain .

They would raise more money in montreal selling lotto tickets with the lucky winner pressing the button to emplode the building. THe upper part of the tower is not concrete as some believe it is actaully steel as they found the mad french architects plan of having the design carried out would have had the thing crashing into the bowl. THat was reported in a CBC documentary in 1999.

THe BIG OWE is a publicly held safety liability and no one wants to be a longterm tennant because of that.

And please do give me the Effiel Tower agruement . The Effiel Tower actually adopted to changing use and functions as it was bascially intended.

THe Big Owe it served the purpose of an architect from france , A complex rube goldberg device that was so complex that it drove his fees up . 15 million plus a percentage of the final cost is what I have read. That is as criminal as we are stupid to put up with it.
Old December 20th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #99
Jonestowncultinpicto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Is Up View Post
Considering how long it has been and how controversial it always was, I thought I have to post another article on the same news:

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...cb77ce&k=16065
in our words the memo from the city of montreal to the province of quebec.
We are not taking the problem you have had for the last 30 years LOL
Old December 20th, 2006, 09:52 PM   #100
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonestowncultinpicto View Post
The Berlin olympic stadium was the host stadium for the final games this year complete with running track in tact and it has probably been upgraded.
Lovely blue and white coloring of the lanes.
Yeah I knew that. Just saying maybe Seoul officials didn't want to use it maybe for that reason.

The stadium is still currently in use on an occasion much like Montreal.
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
montreal