TRANSPORT | City Region - Page 274 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area > Leeds City Region Transport Projects

Leeds City Region Transport Projects Transport proposals and developments

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2019, 11:07 PM   #5461
ThisCity

Likes (Received): 67

Does anyone know why they have been digging up two sections of the central reservations on the inner ring road as you head out towards York road. More specifically they appear to be creating cross over points between the east and west carriageways at either end of the aging viaducts next to quarry house (not sure their proper name). I had seen on here somewhere some discussion regarding proposals to the DFT for funds to replace this viaduct or to rebuild it in some way as being part of taking traffic out of central Leeds. It would seem that they are preparing some allowances to run contraflows between the carriageways around this viaduct to perhaps facilitate inspection, maintainable or future rebuild. But it does seem a bit speculative as I thought the rebuild was purely a proposal. Anyone in the know?
ThisCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2019, 12:25 AM   #5462
LeedsLad

Likes (Received): 691

Temporary propping up work to ensure short term.
LeedsLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 02:57 AM   #5463
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 2760

Must be one of the many new lines in our already extensive rapid transit system. I've started to lose count.

hzrd, carpsio, Kimbo_King liked this post
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2019, 09:32 AM   #5464
Paf_82

Likes (Received): 2571

The cross overs are being installed ahead of the proposed viaduct work.

Quote:
Essential bridge maintenance works to Regent Street Flyover are taking place.

Starting today until Thursday 31 October, Leeds City Council will carry out bridge propping work below Regent Street Flyover. This will improve the city’s resilience and ensure the structure is fit for purpose to enable future improvement in the city centre.

Only minimal traffic management is needed and it’s expected to not disrupt any vehicular traffic. A short length of cycleway will be closed with an alternative available along Regent Street. Construction of vehicular crossover points on the carriageway for eastern and western approaches (A64 and A64 (M)) are also taking place until 11 November.

Built in the late 1960s, Regent Street Flyover is in need of replacement and essential bridge improvement works will help provide options for managing traffic when this takes place. Should Regent Street Flyover deteriorate any further, the propping work will protect the flyover and allow two lanes of traffic on the Inner Ring to continue.

The timing of a replacement bridge will be dependent on the outcome of a bid to the Department for Transport.

Regent Street Flyover carries the A64 (M) Inner Ring Road over the A61 Regent Street. It is an important bridge for traffic travelling around and into the city. It’s estimated 43,000 vehicles pass daily over it and 30,000 vehicles pass below it (A61).

These works will be undertaken during the day and overnight keeping traffic disruption to a minimum. Advanced signage and notices will be deployed to keep users informed.

Works will be undertaken during the following traffic management:

Leeds Inner Ring Road A64 (M) night time lane closures from 7.30pm to 6am (east and west bound) until 11 November.
Weekday lane closures on A64 from 9.30am to 3pm until 11 November.
These improvements are part of Leeds City Council’s transport strategy for the city, Connecting Leeds. The replacement of Regent Street Flyover along with complementary works to the Armley Gyratory, ensures the Inner Ring Road will maintain traffic flow and enable the pedestrianisation of City Square.

Moving vehicles around the outer edge of the city and closing Neville Street to through traffic, can enable the council to transform the city centre for a more liveable, greener and better connected city. It will help spark major and wider improvement projects in the city centre, allowing an unprecedented opportunity to create better public spaces, for pedestrians, cyclists and public transport.

Leeds City Council executive board member for climate change, transport and sustainable development, Councillor Lisa Mulherin said:

“These works are vital to ensure Regent Street Flyover remains safe for road users and supports keeping people on the move. Taking these pre-emptive maintenance steps now, will help preserve the resilience of the Inner Ring Road.

“Therefore, it’s essential we can help sustain Regent Street Flyover for as long as possible, with very minimal disruption until we can replace it.

“This work supports our aim to re-route motorised vehicle traffic out of the city centre, to benefit pedestrians, cyclists and public transport users and to contribute to improving air quality and lowering our carbon footprint.”
https://news.leeds.gov.uk/regent-str...orks-underway/

Smylers, Val Verde liked this post
Paf_82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 01:40 PM   #5465
ThisCity

Likes (Received): 67

Thanks for the insight. I suspected it was related to this sort of thing. The replacement of the viaduct will be a mega undertaking I would imagine! A major overhaul. I would image the cut and tunnelled sections of the inner ring road really need some long term planning as well, they are aging badly and the short on ramps with blind corners are horrendously designed for the volume of traffic that now uses that route. It is terribly congested at rush hour at the best of times.
ThisCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2019, 01:29 AM   #5466
Val Verde

Likes (Received): 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster View Post
Sadly these new trains seem to have been heralded as the solution to all Northern's woes, but in reality it'll often just mean standing up on newer trains. Wikipedia suggests Northern will operate 25 x Class 195s in a 2 car formation (33 in a 3 car formation), which is surely inappropriately short on most lines, let alone a long distance train like Leeds to Chester.
It would have surely made sense to have made all Class 195's with 3 or even 4 carriages to allow for more space for passengers. It also seems a big oversight that the new Class 195 and 331 don't have gangway connections at the end of trains to allow passengers to go between two trains in the case that they are coupled together. Also can the 195 and 331 only be coupled together or can they be coupled with older rolling stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1 View Post
The latter point is a problem with the fare system and franchising model that needs to be sorted rather than a reason to have different service types.

I do understand that some people don't want to change trains, especially if the changes are difficult, but I am speaking in general here about the philosophy governing the rail network rather than a blanket rule across all services.

In most countries you won't find many towns with direct services to their respective capitals, but you will find reliable connecting services to the nearest major city where equally reliable intercity services connect to other major cities frequently.

One example looking in the Leeds region, do we really need direct London services to continue from Leeds to Harrogate 6x a day, considering the need to reverse and the dwell time at Leeds? It just creates more possibility for delays along the ECML if there are any problems on the Harrogate line. Let's remember that, despite this direct service, it will still be quicker to change at York using the top of the hour fast services from KGX. I'd rather see a connecting fast service timed to connect with the London trains.
Well in terms of the top 25 urban areas in the United Kingdom (excluding Belfast which of course lies across the Irish Sea), West Yorkshire lacks direct rail services to South Hampshire, Brighton, Bournemouth, Cardiff, Stoke on Trent, Coventry, Sunderland, Birkenhead and Reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...United_Kingdom

Guess there is certainly plenty of scope for additional direct Cross Country services to serve such destinations from Leeds in particular the likes of the South Coast and South Wales. However the Voyagers which Cross Country often use are clearly unsuited for Intercity rail as they are often only 4-5 carriages in length. There should also be a better service provision to the likes of Glasgow and Leicester from West Yorkshire from what is currently offered which can be done by introducing direct Leeds - Glasgow trains via the Settle Carlisle line and extending more London St Pancras - Leicester - Sheffield trains up to Leeds.

In an ideal world it would also be nice to see direct rail services to the continent via the Channel Tunnel as was once proposed back in the 1990s although it will certainly not happen any time soon considering the border control such services will require and complications potentially bought about by Brexit.
Val Verde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2019, 03:03 AM   #5467
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 2760

The South Coast is most likely out of bounds with the third rail used there, unless an IEP was used to run on diesel on those lines. Alternatively you could have custom built trains for those routes like Thameslink, but this would be a very expensive option for a niche route.

The network is also generally separate from the lines north of London - it would still be quicker to go to Kings Cross and cross London onto a fast line to Brighton/Portsmouth/Southampton.

I do agree about Glasgow, however, and Cardiff is a potential

Smylers liked this post
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2019, 11:36 AM   #5468
oyster

Likes (Received): 528

Story out today which ranks Yorkshire as the worst English region for number of electric car charging points per head. As an electric car user myself it really doesn’t surprise me, with Leeds being among the worst cities for such facilities.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50261278
oyster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2019, 01:20 PM   #5469
LeedsLad

Surprised we've heard no pressure on labour or Conservative to include transport funding for Leeds in their manifestos?... Where are our local representatives/media?
Old November 3rd, 2019, 04:40 PM   #5470
JBD1350

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeedsLad View Post
Surprised we've heard no pressure on labour or Conservative to include transport funding for Leeds in their manifestos?... Where are our local representatives/media?
The General Election manifestos haven't yet been published. With the Prime Minister on separate occasions referring in speeches to a new Direct high speedl line between Leeds and Manchester and seperatly to Leeds regionnot having s mass transit system. I sense these couldbeconsolatin prizes ifHS2 is cancelled. I'm not confident that Labour are any more committed to the projects we'll find out when manifest s are published.
JBD1350 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2019, 05:12 PM   #5471
LeedsLad

But why wait for the manifestos then complain about what's missing... Our representatives should be shouting about what we want to see in there now!
Old November 3rd, 2019, 10:32 PM   #5472
LSTyke

Likes (Received): 23

WYCA seeking to participate in purchase of First West Yorkshire: see Sunday's blog here https://www.focustransport.org or the included link to the T&A (which I couldn't open) here https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co....nsport-issues/
LSTyke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 03:30 PM   #5473
Carl Shutt
Carl Shutt ruined my life

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTyke View Post
WYCA seeking to participate in purchase of First West Yorkshire: see Sunday's blog here https://www.focustransport.org or the included link to the T&A (which I couldn't open) here https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co....nsport-issues/
Apologies if I've already posted this comment elsewhere but a major benefit of the WYCA purchasing FirstBus would be that it reduces the barriers to creating a mass transit system. At the public inquiry for the T'Bus, First put considerable resources into blocking the scheme (although they did want to be allowed to run it if it was built!).
Carl Shutt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 01:59 PM   #5474
Val Verde

Crash between an LNER Azuma and an LNER Intercity 125 by Neville Hill depot late on Wednesday night: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-50425237

Certainly caused plenty of damage to the two trains involved and it wasn't the first time there has been an collision by Neville Hill depot as there was a crash between two East Midlands Trains Intercity 125's almost 10 years to the day previously: http://leytr.blogspot.com/2009/11/ne...erailment.html

Wonder if this collision will lead to changes as to how trains are taken into and out of Neville Hill depot? I would have thought there would be changes required around Neville Hill anyway if the railway between Leeds and Micklefield is ever widened to four tracks.

Also there has been yet more talk of re-opening the Skipton - Colne line, a third of the new Northern Rail trains are now operation, proposals to widen roads between Bradford and Shipley and calls to bring Leeds buses into public ownership: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...aim-1-10105873 https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co....now-operating/ https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co....rks-discussed/ https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/le...wants-17255242

Would be good if the Skipton - Colne line is reopened to create an additional Transpennine rail link although I would be curious to see what sort of services this line would have and whether services will run through to Leeds or terminate at Skipton considering the electrification and the high volume of rail services already running between Leeds / Bradford and Skipton. Also going in the other direction I presume services would run to Blackpool and possibly also to Manchester via Blackburn and Bolton. However the proposals at re-opening the Skipton - Colne line have certainly been ongoing for a long time and thinking cynically it looks like a case of trying to attract votes in the next general election.

At least its good to see more of the new Northern Rail services now in use although based on previous comments will there be enough rolling stock to cope with demand. As for widening roads between Bradford and Shipley it certainly makes sense as the space is available on the A6037 although I envisage it will result in a pinch-point around Shipley and Saltaire as the road narrows before widening again on the A650 Bingley Bypass. I presume a tunnel is the only viable option at bypassing Shipley and Saltaire although it will be hugely expensive and controversial.

As for buses would certainly welcome them being bought into public ownership provided of course it results in a much better bus service through things like lower prices, additional bus routes and more buses at night.
Old November 24th, 2019, 09:20 PM   #5475
Val Verde

Calls for minibuses to make a comeback in Leeds on lighter used bus services to avoid poorer families and elderly people from using taxis instead: https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/le...-stop-17292730

Wasn't there a phase of minibuses being regularly used in the 1980s and early 1990s following bus de-regulation? It seems a retrograde step to use such small buses considering it won't take a lot for such buses to get full and of course it shows the clear failure that de-regulated and privately run bus services have been considering so many bus services have been ditched in recent years and that due to bus fares being so expensive it can often be cheaper for a group of people to share a taxi as opposed to rely on a bus service.
Old November 24th, 2019, 10:11 PM   #5476
Lavalas

Likes (Received): 227

Oxford run an on demand minibus service....

https://pickmeup.oxfordbus.co.uk/
Lavalas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2019, 08:51 PM   #5477
Val Verde

Proposals for a Park & Ride site to the south of Bradford could be scuppered due to plans for housing at the same site: https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co....ncillors-told/

Curious to see a presumably bus based Park & Ride site proposed to the south of Bradford by Staithgate Lane considering it doesn't lie that far from the recently opened Low Moor railway station. I would have thought expanding the car park at Low Moor railway station would make more sense as well as having a more frequent service serving that station. Also I would have thought such a housing development could easily be built at the now vacant Richard Dunn leisure centre and Odsal stadium sites.

Also found out that up to twenty Class 91 locomotives which previously operated Intercity services on the East Coast Main Line will be exported to run freight services in Bulgaria: https://www.railmagazine.com/news/ne...an-freight-use

Good to see a new lease of life for the Class 91 locomotives which follows on from other ex British Rail rolling stock which has been exported. I wonder if they will be used exclusively for freight work or if they could also operate passenger services? There is also talk of some Class 91's being retained in the UK to be used on open access rail services on the West Coast Main Line and Great Western Main Line as well as in logistics.

Last edited by Val Verde; November 29th, 2019 at 12:28 AM.
Old December 4th, 2019, 10:18 AM   #5478
fevtom

Likes (Received): 52

Interesting article on the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50651235

The Conservatives have promised £4.2bn of new spending on local train, bus and tram services if they win the 12 December general election.

"Local authorities would have to bid for the cash. They would also be given more control over things like setting fares, station upgrades and service patterns.

But they would also be expected to put money towards the schemes themselves. Examples of the sorts of projects that might get money include:

◾A new metro or light rail in West Yorkshire, including to Dewsbury, Pudsey and the Spen Valley"
fevtom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2019, 10:53 AM   #5479
oyster

Likes (Received): 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by fevtom View Post
Interesting article on the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50651235

The Conservatives have promised £4.2bn of new spending on local train, bus and tram services if they win the 12 December general election.

"Local authorities would have to bid for the cash. They would also be given more control over things like setting fares, station upgrades and service patterns.

But they would also be expected to put money towards the schemes themselves. Examples of the sorts of projects that might get money include:

◾A new metro or light rail in West Yorkshire, including to Dewsbury, Pudsey and the Spen Valley"
Will reply in the Metro System thread.
oyster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2019, 04:31 PM   #5480
Val Verde

Crazy decision for First Bus to reduce the frequency of the 33 and 34 buses between Leeds, Guiseley and Otley as of the bus timetable change tomorrow: https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....culous-1330360

Certainly a bad decision especially as the A65 corridor is so congested with traffic and that there has been a lot of house building along the A65 corridor in recent years which would have surely helped generate demand along that corridor. Certainly shows how private companies such as First are doing nothing to improve transport in Leeds.

There will also be some big changes with the rail timetable change next weekend with LNER running six trains per day between Harrogate and London Kings Cross via Leeds and Transpennine Express launching a direct service between Liverpool and Edinburgh via Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle. Will there be any other big changes on the railways?

Also LNER will retire the Intercity 125 with a railtour featuring an originally liveried Intercity 125 running along the East Coast Main Line this month including days going between Newcastle and Leeds and Leeds and London: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/heri...ine-1-10136260

Would be strange to no longer see the Intercity 125 on the East Coast Main Line although it shows remarkable longevity to see such rolling stock in use for over 40 years even though they were initially displaced by the Intercity 225 in the late 1980s / early 1990s when the East Coast Main Line was electrified.

On a final note Northern Rail will finally run trains on Boxing Day although only going between Bradford Forster Square and either Ilkley or Skipton with Leeds station closed as a result of engineering works: https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co....kipton-ilkley/

Whilst great to finally see Boxing Day trains I wonder how much demand there will be on these services especially with no trains going to Leeds especially with home fixtures for Leeds United and the Leeds Rhinos. Presume it would be good news for Boxing Day sales in Bradford city centre and the Forster Square Retail Park although a pity Bradford City aren't playing at home on Boxing Day considering it would have generated plenty of passengers. The only sporting event I can think of along the Bradford - Ilkley / Skipton corridor is the Guiseley v Farsley Celtic derby match at Nethermoor Park in Guiseley. Guess that fixture could generate some demand in light of it being a local derby albeit mostly attracting Guiseley locals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement