The roadside rest area - Page 2114 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2019, 05:36 PM   #42261
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
With a speed limit of 80 km/h. In 1977 there was a motorway Vrhnika-Postojna-Razdrto, Vrhnika-Ljubljana was opened in 1979. But there were some other motorways as well, like Bucharest-Piteşti, Zagreb-Karlovac, NE of Rijeka, a few kms in Greece, and also elsewhere.
Hallelujah! You have finally recognized Rijeka - Grobnik as a motorway, what means it was built before Vrhnika motorway :p

Autobahn-mann liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2019, 05:54 PM   #42262
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 5440

You're right, it is/was an expressway with a speed limit of boring 100 km/h.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 07:29 PM   #42263
General Maximus
Are you not entertained?

Likes (Received): 713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Romania was under heavy Soviet influence
I don't think it was. Ceasescu hated the USSR and pretty much had his own agenda. He was also quite close to Jimmy Carter...

Kanadzie liked this post
General Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 08:16 PM   #42264
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 3088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
What's a telegram?! I mean, I know what it was in the 19th century....
Like Whatsapp, with the only difference that it works well.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 08:28 PM   #42265
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 24780

I have no issues with WhatsApp except for its heavy compression of photos and the fact that is owned by Facebook.

I haven't used Telegram, but I have tried Signal, the problem is that few people use it.

Facebook seems to be downhill, at least in my bubble. The vast majority of user-generated content in my feed is from Americans, my Dutch friends and family hardly post anything. From my perspective it appears that engagement on Facebook is much lower than their 'monthly active users' figures suggest.

travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 08:31 PM   #42266
General Maximus
Are you not entertained?

I use Facebook simply because of my contacts all over the world, especially after all the places that I've lived. Facebook seems to be the only way to keep them together and stay in touch.
Who wants to write letters these days...
Old May 15th, 2019, 09:24 PM   #42267
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I have no issues with WhatsApp except for its heavy compression of photos and the fact that is owned by Facebook.
On my mobile, Whatsapp basically misses 4 notifications out of 5, and all inbound calls...
Another flaw is that backups are done once a week and during nights, and only if you have a third party storage (dropbox or similar). Since I turn off my mobile for the night, it basically does not do backups. If you forget to backup and your phone dies, or get stolen, you lose all un-backupped messages.

With Telegram you do nothing, and everything is always up-to-date.
Old May 15th, 2019, 09:52 PM   #42268
Surel

Likes (Received): 2477

Quote:

I haven't used Telegram, but I have tried Signal, the problem is that few people use it.

Facebook seems to be downhill, at least in my bubble. The vast majority of user-generated content in my feed is from Americans, my Dutch friends and family hardly post anything. From my perspective it appears that engagement on Facebook is much lower than their 'monthly active users' figures suggest.
Facebook lost much of interesting content when going mainstream. E.g. some of the content that made Facebook in the start 15 years ago is posted now a days on LinkedIn. The new generations use Insta instead (or other networks) anyway. And whatsapp etc. made peer to peer and group contact management completely different as well.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 09:52 PM   #42269
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Oh I never back up any chats. If they're lost, so be it. To me it's a chat, not an email archive or something.

I actually don't use any cloud services. I have disabled them all. I have important stuff backed up on several external hard drives. But I don't actually use my phone that much for important stuff. Maybe I'm old-fashioned that way, I still prefer a desktop PC with a keyboard and mouse. Almost all of my WhatsApp activity is actually through WhatsApp Web, I hate typing on a small screen.

Kanadzie, Penn's Woods liked this post
Old May 15th, 2019, 10:02 PM   #42270
General Maximus
Are you not entertained?

Old May 15th, 2019, 10:12 PM   #42271
ChrisZwolle
Road user

that image is huge on a desktop browser

I'm more of a power user for some applications, like video editing, photo editing, Google Earth research, lots of text input, browsing with 30 or 40 tabs open and alternating between windows quickly. I can't do that on a phone so a PC is still my main device.

Old May 15th, 2019, 10:13 PM   #42272
General Maximus
Are you not entertained?

Sorry, I should have narrowed it down a bit
Old May 15th, 2019, 10:14 PM   #42273
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Oh I never back up any chats. If they're lost, so be it. To me it's a chat, not an email archive or something.
I backup and archive everything, digital or physical.
I am the next thing to a hoarder.
Old May 15th, 2019, 10:25 PM   #42274
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Verona, Italy recorded today a minimum temperature of 3.8 °C. This is what the hills north of Verona looked like today:
Old May 15th, 2019, 10:36 PM   #42275
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 5440

Quote:
that image is huge on a desktop browser
That's one thing I hate with phone: I don't know how large a posted image is.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 10:38 PM   #42276
General Maximus
Are you not entertained?

(in reply to G)

I got a phone call today that it's like that in Tyrol. Yesterday driving through France it was really warm and sunny, and it stayed like that until I got through the Mont Blanc tunnel. After Aosta the sky got really dark and had a minor spot of rain.
This morning in Milan it was all sunny and warm until after lunchtime, and by the time I got to Bologna it was all raining again.
I'm now somewhere between Bologna and Padova, and it's a clear night, not too cold. Tomorrow I'll be loading somewhere south of Venice by the sea (that green bit) , and then I have to be back in London by Friday pm. Not sure yet whether I'll use Brenner or Mont Blanc.

Yesterday I was in Strasbourg, helping to set up with the tennis tournament, and with Switzerland being in the way, unable to transit through with goods in my van without the necessary paperwork, I had to divert via Mont Blanc...
Old May 16th, 2019, 12:05 AM   #42277
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 2096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Romania was under heavy Soviet influence but from the other side it has been an EU member for 12 years now, while ex SFRY countries were at war and devastated and still better connectivity today.

Brotherhood and Unity highway completition is a good sign for the future reconciliation in Balkan. And Grdelica is the biggest infrastructural highway project in Balkan without doubts. I looking forward to drive the section very soon. Amazing project for Balkan.

That "explains" his good relations with Western politicians.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 04:27 AM   #42278
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 896

Quote:

I actually don't use any cloud services. I have disabled them all. I have important stuff backed up on several external hard drives. But I don't actually use my phone that much for important stuff. Maybe I'm old-fashioned that way, I still prefer a desktop PC with a keyboard and mouse. Almost all of my WhatsApp activity is actually through WhatsApp Web, I hate typing on a small screen.

I’ve had two external hard drives crash on me, and lose their contents.
I now use flash drives, ideally duplicated.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 07:06 AM   #42279
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 25313

Quote:

cloud services are very cheap these days for anything concerning personal use except the volume of data for large amounts of HD video recordings (say a 24/7 feed of 3 security cameras around an office)
Old May 16th, 2019, 12:04 PM   #42280
Attus

Likes (Received): 1412

I learned these two lines twenty six years ago and did not read or hear them since then. Now I read something about metrical verses and these lines came into my mind, in original Greek. After 26 years.
I googled a little bit to find if my memories are corrent. Not perfectly, but almost, I hade a mistake at one letter in the last word. Sometimes fully unnecessery things remain in your brain for a long time, sometimes you forget important ones very fast.

Ω ΞΕΙΝ ΑΓΓΕΛΛΕΙΝ ΛΑΚΕΔΑΙΜΟΝΙΟΙΣ ΟΤΙ ΤΗΔΕ ΚΕΙΜΕΘΑ ΤΟΙΣ ΚΕΙΝΩΝ ΡΗΜΑΣΙ ΠΕΙΘΟΜΕΝΟΙ
(It's the famous two lines written on the tombstone of 300 Spartans in Thermopylae).

Penn's Woods liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
highways, motorways