Is Houston The New Black Mecca? - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Texas

Texas » Projects and Construction | Photos | Skybar

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 14th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #1
citykid09

Likes (Received): 0

Is Houston The New Black Mecca?

Is Houston The New Black Mecca? The reason I ask is because while in New York the other week pepole ask where I was from and I would answer Houston (Although I am from Bryan/College Station, TX). Alot of there reactions were thats where I want go, and some where like all the black people are moving there.
  • MTV just named Houston the new rap mecca
  • Named #1 city for blacks by Black Enterprise
  • A list of black celebrities are moving there or have homes there
  • P-Diddy is trying to stake his clam in the city with various projects

What do you guys think? Is Houston the new black mecca?

-And all you hatters please don't criticise my thread.
citykid09 no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2005, 12:56 AM   #2
citykid09

Old June 14th, 2005, 01:26 AM   #3
Brillemeister

If it is...why??
Brillemeister no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #4
citykid09

^
I guess because it's cheap to live,
you can wear shorts in the winter,
you can work at McDonalds and live in a mansion,
the beach is not to far away,
It's in the middle of the USA and not to far from anything,
More new bussiness were started in Houston last year than any other city in the nation,
more black owned business,
easy to start a company,
I can go on and on.........
Old June 14th, 2005, 01:50 AM   #5
willhclark
Houstonian

Yes it is
willhclark no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2005, 01:58 AM   #6
H-TOWN

I think you're right, citykid. I'm from Atlanta, and moved here 2 years ago. And I must say, I love it here, more then I was in Atlanla (no offense atl). Houston is more dense, more things to do. It's hotter here in then ATL. They need to call houston HOT H-TOWN, then callin HOT ATL. It's blacks everywhere, with their own business. And guess what, I'm starting mines up in a couple of months.

My business will be run inside my home doing, transferring VHS TAPES to DVD qaulity, and converting OLD LP'S, 45'S RECORDS and CASSTTEE TAPES to CD'S. Futhermore, getting the lastest dvd's (great qaulity) and selling them.

Last edited by jmancuso; June 14th, 2005 at 03:30 AM. Reason: soliciting is not allowed: removed e-mail address
H-TOWN no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:18 AM   #7
ReggieZ
GULF COAST TEXAN

I'm black myself, but I wonder why it took blacks from elsewhere so long to discover Houston?

Personally I would like to see immigrants from all over take a serious look at Houston as far as a place to reside.

Last edited by ReggieZ; June 14th, 2005 at 03:37 AM.
ReggieZ no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:39 AM   #8
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 88

I think Houston and the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex are about neck and neck on this one.
krazeeboi no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:50 AM   #9
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 362

The emerging music scene probably brings notice as well.
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2005, 03:22 AM   #10
ironchapman
I am John Doe

Likes (Received): 5

I think Atlanta, Houston, and Dal-FTW will be the new "Motowns".
ironchapman no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2005, 03:45 AM   #11
greystone08

Yes citykid, Houston is quickly gaining recognition, more so in the hip-hop culture and even economically. Partly due to the new stars from Houston: Lil Flip, Mike Jones, Beyonce, Brooke Valentine, Paul Wall, and others are quickly putting Houston on the map more and more each day.

I'm with Reggie on this one, what took so long to discover Houston? Houston's always had a high abundance of blacks.
greystone08 no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2005, 04:39 AM   #12
H-TOWN

I've been to Dallas also, and Dallas is not dense like Houston is. Dallas as alot of blacks there, but talking about the clubs scenes, it's Houston hands down. Houston to me feels like more of a big city, its that vibe. On the other hand, Dallas feels more of a country feeling, to much cowboyish atmosphere. But, Dallas is a nice fine city.
H-TOWN no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2005, 06:08 AM   #13
texasboy

Likes (Received): 15

I don't know what P. Diddy has anything to do with this subject, but I have to say a Black Mecca would atleast be a majority within a certain city. Hispanics are the majority in Houston. There are about 800,000 Hispanics in the city alone, about 600,000 Whites, about 500,000 Blacks and about 150,000 Asians in the city. I wouldn't really call that a Black Mecca. Houston is too damn diverse that it could be a mecca for every type of ethnic group. A city is not really a mecca for a certain etnic group unless there is a certain race or ethnicity that outnumbers other cities in the nation, and the only group in Houston that takes this claim are the Viatnamese. citykid, did you get my pm, because I still think this thread was made only to show P. Diddy has a party coming to town and this was the only way that you could display it.
texasboy no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2005, 06:08 AM   #14
Velvetj

Likes (Received): 2

Like it was stated earlier, the emerging music scene in Houston has spawned a sort of Renaissance with regard to the African American Community here. It has really brought more attention to the city, in turn enlightening others to some of the positives Houston has to offer, most notably the economics and level of quality one can obtain by living here. Houston actually has a lower cost of living than Atlanta and can pretty much offer the same thing, but people just didn't know it. Cheap Housing, high quality of life, no state tax (great for professional athletes and entertainers), lots to do, mild winters (October- May), and a welcoming environment. African Americans overall don't tend to face the type of hostility that they can run into in some other cities.

Those factors have led to things such as T-boz of TLC deciding to open a kids clothing store here, VonAdon Entertainment relocating here from Atlanta, and a plethora of professional atheletes deciding to move here. The African American community thrives here and it is only getting better.

Actually, IMO the realization that Houston could be a nice place for Blacks really began to take off in the mid 90's with a large portion of new African American residents arriving from California. I remember reading articles in the paper about city bus drivers retiring in Los Angeles and moving to Houston and living like Kings. And reading articles about those in the Asian Community selling their homes in California for a half million dollars and purchasing much larger homes in Houston for LESS than half that price and having enough money left over to start a business. Atlanta was hot and still is but a lot of Californians realized they could get the same thing here and still be a little closer to their relatives still in California.

Now people are starting to come from places other than just California and Louisiana. More and more people are arriving from Michigan, Missouri, Missippi, Ohio, and yes Georgia.

I don't think Houston has taken over Atlanta as the "Black Mecca", but what is happening here is something that cannot be ignored, and I think the evidence is proving that. Atlanta, you better keep your eyes open.
Velvetj no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2005, 06:22 AM   #15
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasboy
I don't know what P. Diddy has anything to do with this subject, but I have to say a Black Mecca would atleast be a majority within a certain city. Hispanics are the majority in Houston. There are about 800,000 Hispanics in the city alone, about 600,000 Whites, about 500,000 Blacks and about 150,000 Asians in the city. I wouldn't really call that a Black Mecca. Houston is too damn diverse that it could be a mecca for every type of ethnic group. A city is not really a mecca for a certain etnic group unless there is a certain race or ethnicity that outnumbers other cities in the nation, and the only group in Houston that takes this claim are the Viatnamese. citykid, did you get my pm, because I still think this thread was made only to show P. Diddy has a party coming to town and this was the only way that you could display it.
hispanics may be in the majority but blacks (as well as whites) still have far more economic and political power and i have heard on several occaisions about houston being one of the best places for black businesses.

oh...and p. diddy, puff daddy or whatever he's known as:
jmancuso no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #16
ironchapman
I am John Doe

Likes (Received): 5

Atlanta is the current "new" Black mecca with the highest percentage of Black population in the US (around 70%)
ironchapman no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #17
Velvetj

Double post
Velvetj no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #18
Velvetj

But this wasn't really talking about "Black Mecca" in terms of Blacks being the majority population in a city as opposed to "Black Mecca" with regard to black people being successful and having opportunities and being happy. The city of Detroit is majority black but it isn't considered a "Black Mecca".

We are not talking population numbers, although 25% of a city's population is not bad at all. One of my favorite things about Houston is there still doesn't feel likea single group is the majority.
Velvetj no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #19
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasboy
The term "Hispanic" only references ethnicity, not race; for racial purposes, Hispanics/Latinos may classify themselves as either white or black (if they choose to do so at all). But your overarching point is well taken.
krazeeboi no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #20
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Now people are starting to come from places other than just California and Louisiana. More and more people are arriving from Michigan, Missouri, Missippi, Ohio, and yes Georgia.
You can add Chicago and Milwaukee to that list. I was up there from June of 04 to February this past year( and i really want to go back lol) and every black person i met up there said when they went to Houston they loved it down there and would love to move there as well. Some of my family up there would love to move down to Houston as well. They also liked Dallas alot but liked Houston more.

But as far as a black mecca. I think that not only comes with population but it comes with history as well and it would be hard to take that name from Atlanta.
TexasBoi no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread