SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Chennai | Chennai International Airport | MAA

8M views 26K replies 940 participants last post by  Indflyer 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here are some images of new terminal building for MAA not sure if this is final or not but looks good. Enjoy..

Copyrights:
Hargreaves Associates

____

IU's edit:

Project Information:
Chennai's airport's is currently being upgraded in light of the booming air traffic in the Indian aviation. The modernization and expansion of the airport will be done by mid 2011.

The upgradation plan includes the construction of a new domestic terminal, expansion and renovation of the existing Anna International terminal, renovation of the existing domestic terminal, extension of the secondary runway, construction of a new parallel runway and cargo terminal, taxiways and parking bays amongst others.

Click on the renders to view large

The new Domestic Terminal:

A team of architects comprising Frederic Schwartz Architects, Hargreaves Associates, and Gensler based in the United States and Creative Group, New Delhi was selected to design the new terminal.

With the addition of the new terminal, expansion of the international terminal and existing domestic terminal, the Chennai International Airport will be able to handle 16 million passengers/annum by 2011.

The design of the terminal is organised around “two lush sustainable gardens” and the wing-like roofs which helps collect rainwater and become part of the garden.

The new terminal will be spread across 70,000 sq m.

Walkthrough video:

The new terminal would have 72 passenger check-in counters.

See less See more
1 16
#61 ·
This is a run way in Lisbon portugal on the sea shore. Will Chennai get something like this in future?
Even i got this thro mail!

Chennai has enough space for airport expansion or new world class green field airports. These type APs will be suitable for the city where there is no room for expansion!

#62 ·
This is a run way in Lisbon portugal on the sea shore. Will Chennai get something like this in future?
Wow, Wonderful. Innovative Thinking.

Hongkong also used to have the runway jutting into the sea.

In Chennai airport, we have Govt Depts not allowing a bridge across the Adyar River.

If the greenfield airport comes in between OMR and Buckingham canal, the runway will be north - south and the aircrafts can turn around on the sea (as it happens now near Santhome, Besant Nagar) with minimal risk.

#66 ·
I feel that these renderings are similar to China's Guangzhou city -Baiyun AP

Steel structure works looks similar!!

In Guangzhou AP, the expressway leads to the entrance gates as shown in the rendering!!
FYI, the cars in front of the terminal are facing the correct direction for India (drive on the left side on the road = clockwise loop). In China, they would face the other way (anticlockwise loop). Of course, I'm assuming that the access route is in the form of a loop as is the case with most such terminals.

#70 ·
Why couldn't they just extend the whole design?

This is my proposal to integrate Chennai Airport's different sections into one. It doesnt make sense just to have one different structure whilst the other crumbling ones are let to stay. They could build this modern dosa first and as and when it is ready, start building on the other sections (extend it).

Cheers
p2p4

#72 ·
Very beautiful & futuristic. If ever built will definitely give stiff competition to Hyd & B'lore new airports. This is a real beauty here. Its more spacy & swanky than Hyd IMO.

Schwartz/Gensler (USA) with Creative Group (India) wins competition to design new air terminal in Chennai, India

The New York team led by Frederic Schwartz Architects and Gensler with Hargreaves Associates and India-based Creative Group was unanimously selected by the Indian Government to design a new International and Domestic Terminal at the Chennai International Airport in Chennai, India. The design of terminal, which has a Saarinen like quality to its sweeping rooflines, organizes passenger circulation around two sustainable gardens. Dramatic hovering free span wing-like roofs, over 300 meters long, fold downward to form the garden’s walls delivering rain water during the wet season to a series cisterns and runnels where it is stored for reuse as irrigation during the dry season. Directly connected to the terminal is a new parking garage with a sculptural folding green roof that welcomes travelers with a “green gateway” to the terminal. The new terminal buildings measure more than 140,000 meters. When completed in 2015, they will increase passenger capacity from 10 million to 30 million annually. The project, which includes design of the new terminals and expansion of the existing ones, is estimated to cost $750 million USD.

#74 ·
I don't understand why we can't increase gate capacity by building concourses like below. Obviously, I am not an architect or a facilities planner - so any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

- K

These Kinda Terminal Concourses Are Found In United States,If It Could Happen in India It Could Handle Maximum Emplanements & People Could Board Directly From The Terminal Building.

#75 ·
These Kinda Terminal Concourses Are Found In United States,If It Could Happen in India It Could Handle Maximum Emplanements & People Could Board Directly From The Terminal Building.
true...but i dont think there is enough room to facilitate such a design...those legs would easily cross the apron and probably even the runway...

but what i dont understand is that, how can an airport grow in the future if needed? they cant just keep on extending to the left and right of the terminal...can they? maybe 30 years from now, when this current airport is overcrowded they would have to look for building another termianal or hell even another greenfield airport...indians need to start thinking big...even if they cant excute big...:nuts:

#76 ·
true...but i dont think there is enough room to facilitate such a design...those legs would easily cross the apron and probably even the runway...

but what i dont understand is that, how can an airport grow in the future if needed? they cant just keep on extending to the left and right of the terminal...can they? maybe 30 years from now, when this current airport is overcrowded they would have to look for building another termianal or hell even another greenfield airport...indians need to start thinking big...even if they cant excute big...:nuts:
Rather Constructing a Greenfield Airport it's possible to provide such concourses if they extend the apron a bit so that it can help the airports to work more efficiently.It's just a waste of huge some of money for building another airport i guess it can drastically reduce the cost & time burden for the people to travel all the way 10-15 miles.

#77 ·

exactly..foresight is what is needed and when have they had it??? which is why we have jammed roads and half-completed flyovers....:eek:hno:

#78 ·
The airport design is mediocre, if not bad. Too symetrical, rectangular and bland. Lacks intricacy, doesn't blend with the environment, doesn't speak for the colourful and vibrant mix of a huge metropolis like Chennai. It fact it reminds me of an elaborate cowshed :(.

btw it resembles the Stratford station in London in ways which imho is again not the best of designs.

#79 ·
I am not sure. There is so much space between the terminal building and the runway at MAA. In San Diego (where I live), we have quite a few concourses even though the space is much smaller. I think it can be done. Kannan or someone else.. could you please comment ?

- K

#80 ·
I don't know how many gates are needed but why can't they do this in phases instead of keeping the current two terminals?

Phase 1: Build the terminal that is currently proposed and move all operations from the current domestic terminal to it.

Phase 2: Raze the current domestic terminal and build another terminal just like the proposed one and move all International operations to it, temporarily.

Phase 3: Raze the current international terminal and build yet another similar, perhaps bigger, terminal then move back international traffic there and use the other two for domestic ops.

I don't know about space, but there seems to be a big chunk of land on the left side of the airport, looking at it as in those drawings above. Perhaps it could be used and some other things moved around. Also whose property is between the runways? Maybe that can be used for hangars and cargo ops?