THE NETHERLANDS | Railways - Page 214 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2019, 01:05 PM   #4261
TER200

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover030 View Post
I was reading about those Talgo trains yesterday, and found pretty much only positive aspects: more comfortable ride, less noise, lightweight, natural tilting, a bit wider because of the shorter cars. The only negative thing was that it's difficult to take individual cars away from the rest of the trains for maintenance, because they are supported by the wheels of the next car. But that's a problem for trains with Jacobs bogies as well I'd say.

So why is this concept not more widely used? Are the short cars an issue? I'd say when you have only one entrance area per car instead of two that is compensated for.
I don't think you can remove a car easily from an ICE4 for example. Or if you can, you don't have one to replace it (as they are all different) so the whole trainset is stranded. But for maintenance it is still easier to separate cars to work on them on a non-articulated trains, while for articulated ones (for example the TGVs I know better) you always need an 200 meters long workshop.

Here, like on the railjet (and to some extent the TGVs), the power unit can be separated and changed easily. As the power unit typically has a lower disponibility rate than the coaches, you can have 20 trainsets with 21 locos for example, and switch the locos as they need maintenance (it is more flexible if you also have the same loco type for other services like ÖBB's Taurus).

Wilhem275, Rover030 liked this post
TER200 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2019, 01:37 PM   #4262
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 946

I wonder if, with multisystem machines, they will still have to stop in Bad Bentheim, or they can just switch voltage on the run.

There are many border stations in Europe which are completely useless for EC commercial service (Bad Bentheim, Brenner, Tarvisio) and should be skipped as it happens with any other handover technical point (like in Hoofddorp when switching to 25 kV and ETCS).

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2019, 02:09 PM   #4263
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 1146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I wonder if, with multisystem machines, they will still have to stop in Bad Bentheim, or they can just switch voltage on the run.

There are many border stations in Europe which are completely useless for EC commercial service (Bad Bentheim, Brenner, Tarvisio) and should be skipped as it happens with any other handover technical point (like in Hoofddorp when switching to 25 kV and ETCS).
Bad Bentheim will probably be gone soon anyway as the NS has ordered vectrons for the IC-Berlin .
Old March 14th, 2019, 08:13 PM   #4264
wbrm

Likes (Received): 61

NS hasn't ordered anything yet. However they were planning to order Vectrons. I wouldn't be surprised if the availability of 200km/h multisystem Vectrons is rather low at the moment.
The standstill for the voltage changeover could be due to the infrastructure. When the infrastructure is modified a multisystem train can switchover whilst on the move.
wbrm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2019, 12:39 AM   #4265
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 578

At Bad Bentheim, the signals are linked to the OHLE configuration. Bad Bentheim has switchable OHLE in the platforms: it can offer 1500V DC as well as 15 kV AC.

If the OHLE is set to 15 kV, the entry signal on the Dutch side won't clear. Similarly, the exit signal on the German side won't clear if the OHLE is set to 1500 V. The same applies in the opposite direction.

Unless this restriction is lifted (meaning expensive signalling changes), it won't be possible to run non-stop through Bad Bentheim.
Old March 15th, 2019, 08:55 AM   #4266
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 341

Basically you need three options:
  • OHLE at 15 kV, German side released
  • OHLE at 1.5 kV, Dutch side released
  • OHLE in neutral, through running released
In Emmerich and Venlo non-stop through running is possible so it can't be that difficult; it mainly requires cooperation between the signaller and the driver.
Old March 16th, 2019, 07:11 PM   #4267
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 578

Quote:
In Emmerich and Venlo non-stop through running is possible
The OHLE switching capabilities at Emmerich have been removed after the Zevenaar - German border line was overhauled (this is now an extension of the Betuweroute: 25 kV + ETCS).

Venlo is operated by Dutch signallers, and ProRail have done extensive overhauls throughout the past decades.
Quote:
so it can't be that difficult; it mainly requires cooperation between the signaller and the driver.
It's not just an operating procedure, it is enforced by the signalling box (Stellwerk, in German). If you want to make through trains possible, the logic will have to be changed. While technically possible, this is complex and expensive (as all signalling work is).
Advertisement