Frank Gehry to design entire Grand Ave project! - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Los Angeles > Metropolitan Forums > City of Los Angeles

City of Los Angeles Central Core | Downtown | Hollywood | Mid-City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2005, 12:55 AM   #41
SILVERLAKE
Tastemaker Extraordinare

Likes (Received): 2

I can't wait until the design is released. Like the LA Times said: "this and WTC reconstruction will be the highest profile skyscraper projects in the US".
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2005, 03:28 AM   #42
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 895

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERLAKE
I can't wait until the design is released. Like the LA Times said: "this and WTC reconstruction will be the highest profile skyscraper projects in the US".

I am glad to see L.A. getting 5 more towers though the tallest, 50 stories isn't all that high (understandibly-earthquakes and shit). I have a condo in a 32 story building in the South Loop (I'm on the 22 floor). Never the less, they will be a great additions to the L.A. skyline. Things are starting to look up in downtown L.A.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I must state that there are several "high profile" projects happening around the country that may parallel this, or even be more significant.

Silverlake, I guess the L.A Times forgot about Trump Chicago, which is currently the tallest bulding under construction in the country (1360 ft 92 stories) and the 3rd tallest under construction in the world. Maybe I should also mention that the Waterview (also be near 90 stories) 1000 ft will break ground in October.
What about the new Fordham Spire proposal by world renoun Spanish achitect Santiago Calatrava 2000ft! Rumor has it that there has been 800 offers already, and they haven't even opened their sales center yet! Of course there is another 90 story in the works- the Manderin Oriental, and several other 70+ stories, plus almost 2 dozen 50+ story buildings in the works. All in all, 150 highrises within the next 5 or 6 years.
I would like to see the actual quote by the L.A. times reporter who made this statement. Are you sure he didn't say that this is the greatest construction project in L.A., or the West coast? I also want to reiterate that I am all for highrise living in evey city, still, absurd statements must be questioned.
Please do not take any offense to my post (especially L.ASportsfan, he seems pretty levelheaded.

Here are some high profile projects in Chicago.

Trump Chicago (1360 ft 92 stories)

Waterview (89-90 stories 1050 ft)

One Museum Park (735ft 65 stories?)

The Legacy at Millenium part 71 stories (820ft)

Of course, the Fordham Spire (2000 ft)

Elysian 60 stories

Site being cleared for the Elysian:

Claire At Watetower (53 stories 595ft)

The Streeter (48 stories)

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false

Last edited by chicagogeorge; September 19th, 2005 at 04:20 AM.
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:06 AM   #43
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Likes (Received): 631

and what about the miami projects............i don't really think that this project is in the top 5
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Boycott the La forum-Worse forum in SSC
The Mad Hatter!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:12 AM   #44
chicagogeorge

Miami is on fire, even more so than NYC and Chi-Town, regardless of the height differences in the buildings being constructed. I would love to see L.A. also be up there. We can't let the Asian cities have all of the highrise records LoL!

Procopius
Old September 19th, 2005, 06:04 AM   #45
CarsonCaliBrotha

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter!!
and what about the miami projects............i don't really think that this project is in the top 5
C'mon now it's the ****** LA TIMES. You expect them to say it's the 5th biggest project in the country?
CarsonCaliBrotha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 09:38 AM   #46
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 949

Those are some great projects in chiown. If i remember correctly, the quote wasnt about the tower itself, rather the whole development might be one of the most important in the nation.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #47
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 911

You have to understand (chicagogeorge and the mad hatter) that the last skyscraper built in DTLA was Cal Plaza 2..way back in 1992. 13 years is quite a long time for a city to go without any highrise devlopment on a large scale. With LA Live about to start construction (However the 55 story hotel/condo won't start construction until this time next year) and the pending approval of the massive Grand Ave project (complete with the Gehry Tower that'll totally redefine the skyline), you can see where us Angelino's are excited. A 55 story building might be nothing in NY or Chicago. But LA is going to have 2 by 2009 so yeah..

Also LA Live and Grand Ave are two totally different styles. LA Live is more entertainment, hip place. Whereas Grand Ave will be..well..grand. The designers say that it'll rival Paris' (Forgive my spelling) Champs de Elyssies.
Old September 19th, 2005, 09:12 PM   #48
ChgoLvr83

Likes (Received): 1

I think I may have asked this but Im unsure. When will they release renderings, if they havent done so already? Also if things are a go, why such a delay in construction? (this time next year)

And I understand completely what youre saying Threehundred. No need to explain here.

And chicagogeorge, I swear Im going to beat the hell out of you with all of these freakin' pictures. Im workin with 56k, man! I dont have the patience.
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:34 AM   #49
chicagogeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threehundred
You have to understand (chicagogeorge and the mad hatter) that the last skyscraper built in DTLA was Cal Plaza 2..way back in 1992. 13 years is quite a long time for a city to go without any highrise devlopment on a large scale. With LA Live about to start construction (However the 55 story hotel/condo won't start construction until this time next year) and the pending approval of the massive Grand Ave project (complete with the Gehry Tower that'll totally redefine the skyline), you can see where us Angelino's are excited. A 55 story building might be nothing in NY or Chicago. But LA is going to have 2 by 2009 so yeah..

Also LA Live and Grand Ave are two totally different styles. LA Live is more entertainment, hip place. Whereas Grand Ave will be..well..grand. The designers say that it'll rival Paris' (Forgive my spelling) Champs de Elyssies.
Thanks for putting it into perspective for me. I think DT L.A. will be very different in a few years. I'm really glad that the city is starting to look more and more vertical. L.A. is one exciting freaking city. Again props to L.A.

I would like to see any rendering of upcoming projecrs!

Procopius
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:48 AM   #50
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

i was trying to picture what a tower by gehry would look like
75 story gehry designed tower in new york

new york times:proposal
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Old September 20th, 2005, 02:48 AM   #51
digital_slash
digital_slash

I don't like Gehry. It's like he's struggling to be authentic or original. He's better suited for lowrise buildings that can pass for art (like the Pavillion in Millennium Park or the Disney Concert Hall), but for projects as large as the New York Times building damn, that would of just decimated the skyline.

Hopefully this time Gehry comes out with a hit.
digital_slash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #52
djm19

Likes (Received): 9

Well, Gehry is apparently doing a more traditional design (or for him that means not insane)
djm19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 05:53 PM   #53
SantaMonicaCA

when is it going to start the construction of the Grand Ave??????????????
SantaMonicaCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 06:55 AM   #54
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 911

^ 2006..more or less. We still don't know exactly what the buildings look like.

*FYI* Frank Gehry designed a highrise building in LA a long time ago. It was cancelled however. Lets see if I can find it...

Here it is..the Rapid Transit Center
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:55 PM   #55
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

holy shit thats ugly,it looks ok until you get to the third setback or the third small building,and then the way it ends looks nasty.but the top is ok.

Old September 30th, 2005, 04:33 AM   #56
savvysearch

Likes (Received): 1

My hope is that his towers are spectacularly bizzare. Maybe a tower version of his Toledo museum or weisman museum. It would definitely be an icon. Just hopefully none of the designs he did for NY.

http://www.joeyharrison.com/ftp.joey...Gehry_wing.JPG
http://www.wholeo.net/Trips/Travel/M...un1Weisman.jpg
savvysearch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 11:04 AM   #57
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 133

I do know this, this city has 11 buildings, above the 50 story mark, all except two above 700' (those other two, not far behind at 699') 18 buildings above 30 storys, and a veritable sea of 16 to 26 story buildings.

The view north from the Baldwin Hills, from the Marina Del Rey, down the entire Wilshire corridor, to Downtown, is pretty goddamed impressive, if this city's mass transit was not based on the Freeways, surely our density would be more centralized, given a few more years, when the three light rail lines now under construction come on line, and some more heavy rail appovals run through the city council, the fabric of development will see some drastic changes.......................give us some time.
Advertisement