REPORT | CI : Hong Kong - Kaohsiung - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Flight Reports

Flight Reports Travel reports from the reservation process, airport departure and arrivals, and the flight

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2019, 05:28 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 24385

REPORT | CI : Hong Kong - Kaohsiung

China Airlines has had a less than stellar safety record over the years, but things have calmed down in recent memory. Nevertheless, I tried to avoid them fearing the higher odds of an incident may catch up with me one day.

Hoping to make it to Taiwan's east coast for an off-the-beaten track vacation, this airline came back on the radar with a heavily-discounted fare compared to Cathay. Perhaps it was worth risking the short 1-hour flight for only HKD $1288 all-in?

Today's flight would be operated by an A330. It is typical for widebodies to fly the short trip between Hong Kong and Taiwan. Despite direct flights between both sides of the strait now, prices are astronomical so the Hong Kong stopover remains popular and fills up big planes. Look, there is even a 747 right behind this 330!

Despite the short flight time, a pillow was already placed at every seat. Seems they are trying to promote the Kumamoto bear as well.

The PTV screen was pitiful and reminds me of the early days of IFE at your seat.

There was a decent amount of duty-free items in the catalogue. You can even buy a bag of rice. The eastern part of Taiwan is actually famous for rice production.

Despite the short flight, the traditional headset was provided for our comfort.

Pushing back, we took a long taxi to the other end of the terminal for departure.

There is a lot of construction on the airport island, with reclamation for the 3rd runway under way. Unfortunately, my window was a bit scratched up so the aerials were not as clear as I wanted on this otherwise beautiful day.

With clouds over the city and beyond, I turned to the IFE interface, which was very old-school and didnt't offer anything particularly interesting.

With only an hour in the air, and chopping off the ascent and descent portions, the crew rushed to distribute a hot meal. I felt sorry they were in such a hurry. In Asia, we tend to be spoiled on the short flights, where the traditional carriers continue to serve meals for free. Even the low-cost airlines such as AirAsia offer a very affordable meal option and not gouge you to compensate for the cheap fare.

Not long after, we started descending into a sunny Kaohsiung. My left window would offer great city views from the harbour to skyline on approach.

With that, an uneventful short flight came to an end, safe and sound.

China Airlines offers a comfortable product and a surprisingly hot meal even for such a short journey. If it weren't for their blemished historical safety record, this airline offers great value for money.

With swine flu on high alert, all passengers have to undergo special inspection after collecting their bags. Long lines snaked out of customs as each passenger was checked. I previously encountered something similar in Japan, but this one is even more onerous, indicating how fearful the Taiwanese are with this disease devasting its local pork industry. Luckily, there aren't many arriving international flights, as our flight alone caused quite a jam already.

With no pork products or other contraband in my luggage, I exited into the arrivals hall, turning left to head out the doors for the MRT station. Kaohsiung's airport is quite close to the city and is only a 5 stops from downtown (85 Sky Tower), a refreshing difference to Taipei's Taoyuan airport.

More photos on my full flight report : https://www.globalphotos.org/ci-khh.htm
My Kaohsiung photos : https://www.globalphotos.org/kaohsiung.htm

RyukyuRhymer, KB335ci2 liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement