SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | 4 Hudson Square - Disney/ABC | 103m | 338ft | 22 fl | T/O

13K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  skylinehunters 
#1 ·
ABC's new Manhattan digs. The highest occupied space will hit the neighborhood's height limit, but mechanical bulkheads could bring the total height above 100m, like some of the new residential towers in the neighborhood,

Disney files plans for a 19-story headquarters in Hudson Square

the building will rise 19 stories and include “East” and “West” towers. Last July, the media company purchased the rights to develop the property at 4 Hudson Square from Trinity Church

[...]

The site at 4 Hudson Square contains four buildings, including 304 Hudson Street and 137 Varick Street. Disney also purchased the property operated by music venue City Winery

See less See more
#6 ·
SOM can't break out of the box. Green terracotta and shiny brass suggest an Art Deco palette.

#9 ·
First look at Walt Disney’s Hudson Square Headquarters

...And now, one of the biggest new buildings in the area—the Walt Disney Company’s new headquarters, taking over the site of what was once City Winery—is getting ready to rise. Disney, Silverstein Properties (which is developing the building), and Skidmore, Owings & Merrill have unveiled the first batch of renderings for the media conglomerate’s new HQ, known as 4 Hudson Square. The 1.2 million-square-foot building will occupy the entire block bordered by Varick, Hudson, Vandam, and Spring streets, with ground floor retail and new sidewalk pavings included as part of the package.

But don’t expect a glassy high-rise; instead, SOM is looking to the past, and the architecture of the surrounding neighborhood, for inspiration. The facade will be covered in soft green terra cotta tiles, with anodized aluminum panels adding accents throughout. The structure will top out around 320 feet, with two smaller towers rising from a 10-story base (for a total height of 22 stories, including mechanicals)...

...The headquarters itself will house between 4,000 and 5,000 employees of Disney and its various affiliates, including ABC7 and shows like Live with Kelly and Ryan. On the ground floor, the firms expect to build out a “singular retail experience” similar to Chelsea Market, according to Koop, with the goal of providing an amenity for both the workers in the building and neighborhood residents...

Demolition on the site’s existing buildings has already begun, and the firms expect that the new Disney HQ will take about four years to complete.

#10 ·
huh, I had never heard of that neighborhood being called Hudson Square, interesting.

It's a shame about the old building being demolished, I like it, but at least the new two towers replacing it aren't too shabby, that cladding could be really classy, let's see how it works out.

As for the tenants, so Disney will move ABC there, I guess they might close their Lincoln square location. Considering that most other media studios are around midtown, this is a change.

#11 ·
Yeah, It's more commonly called West SoHo. Disney isn't the only new resident. This is also where Google is planting their flag. And yes, ABC sold their uptown headquarters to Silverstein, who recently sold a few buildings in the campus for a pretty penny. Apparently Silverstein is co-developing this building.

#12 ·
#16 ·
To be honest - nothing special really

#19 ·
Do we know whether this building will include sound stages? I know that there will be stages for The View and Live with Ryan and Kelly, but I mean full-size sound stages for film/TV production. The articles cited here, as well as the SOM site, just vaguely list "production space."

Two main reasons I'm wondering: as the telecoms become increasingly vertically integrated, I expect to see more film production moving in-house and out of the third party studios; and the new virtual backdrop technology from Industrial Light & Magic, which Disney owns, mean that most of a shoot can now happen inside on a stage (The Mandalorian was shot almost exclusively inside the sound stages at Manhattan Beach Studios).

#21 ·
#23 ·
Disney Headquarters Rises Above Street Level At Four Hudson Square In Hudson Square, Manhattan
Construction is rising rapidly on Disney’s 1.2-million-square-foot headquarters at 137 Varick Street in Hudson Square. Alternately addressed as Four Hudson Square, the 22-story, 338-foot-tall structure is designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill and is being developed by Silverstein Properties. The media giant purchased the parcel from Trinity Church Real Estate for $650 million and Skanska was responsible for the demolition of four structures that wrapped up last summer. Lendlease is in charge of constructing the new headquarters, which is bound by Varick Street to the east, Spring Street to the south, Hudson Street to the west, and Vandam Street to the north.

There has been a tremendous amount of progress since our last update in March, when work was still progressing below grade. Now the steel superstructure is two stories above ground, with four large construction cranes steadily working across the sprawling site.

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.