KL METROPOLIS | Kuala Lumpur (Jalan Duta) | U/C - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Countdown to 2020

Countdown to 2020 new projects, proposals, under-construction updates and news of developments & construction projects.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2008, 05:50 AM   #1
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Likes (Received): 2627

KL METROPOLIS | Kuala Lumpur (Jalan Duta) | U/C

KL City Hall directs developer to submit plans for 100-storey building
Tim Leonard

PETALING JAYA (May 12, 2008): City Hall has directed a local developer to submit proper development plans for the construction of a multi-billion ringgit mixed development project that includes a 100-storey superstructure near the Matrade centre, bordering Jalan Kuching and Jalan Duta.

At 100 storeys, the building would easily be taller than the iconic Petronas Twin Towers and become the next landmark in Kuala Lumpur.

The proposed development, on a 70-acre tract, is also set to feature a 1.2 million sq ft exhibition centre, condominiums, offices and hotels, among others.

theSun learnt that the developer has proposed the concept to Kuala Lumpur City Hall early this year and was told to submit proper development plans.

The developer is a subsidiary company of a large local conglomerate and is headed for a Bursa Malaysia listing this year. The company is actively involved in property development around the Klang Valley, including the KLCC area.

City Hall director of town planning Mahadi Che Ngah said the project’s developer was asked to submit proper plans and documentation so that project viability studies can be carried out by his team.

When asked if the project was put on hold, Mahadi said: "I wouldn’t say it is put on hold but just pending approval because the developer has yet to submit the necessary plans. What we have is just a concept from them."

theSun learnt from City Hall officials that the land deal was transacted as part of the Government’s land privatisation exercise several months ago.

"All I can say for now is that the project is in its infancy stage and City Hall has to carry out a detailed study first because we don’t want to be seen as promoting unbalanced development in the city," said Mahadi.

He also did not rule out the possibility that City Hall might get feedbacks and input from various quarters for the project, especially as it is a proposed superstructure.

It is learnt that the new project is set to emulate the success of the KLCC area which became the focal point of Kuala Lumpur following the completion of the 452m tall (1,483 feet) Petronas Twin Towers with 88 floors.

Premium properties in the KLCC enclave have breached the RM2,000 per sq ft price tag in recent months.

Talks of another superstructure coming up in KL emerged in the real estate scene late last year but nothing materialised until the local company in question proposed its concept to City Hall.

Real estate practitioners, when contacted by theSun, said the particular tract was eyed for quite some time by several developers.

Previndran Singhe, CEO of Zerin Properties, said: "Any project of this size and height must be properly studied by City Hall. If the project is approved, then it would certainly have positive impacts on the local property market.

"It is good to have sustainable development projects and this particular tract offers a lot of potential in years to come, especially when the KLCC area is filled to its brim and the need arises for another focal point in KL.

"Having a 100-storey building is not a bad idea as long as it is executed in a proper manner. It is always good to have another landmark in KL," he adds.

Allan Soo, managing director of Regroup Associates, said it was common now for developers to come out with an initial concept and pass it to the local authorities to ascertain the viability and other details before actually sitting down with the architect to draft the masterplan.

"The land in question was one of the larger chucks in the vicinity of Segambut Dalam and Mon't Kiara, offering tremendous potential for development in years to come.

Any developer who is keen on working there has the future in mind and I must say that it will be a good bet if plans are executed properly."

Updated: 08:33PM Mon, 12 May 2008
rizalhakim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #2
pedang
One Malaysia

Likes (Received): 83

KFH punya project ape cite! ?
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #3
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

maybe dis is the one....KFH bought a huge land area in dutamas from mah sing group but never reveald any project....so hmmm could it be dis project?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #4
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

i dont think its a good idea to build a 100storey building in dis area well not at dis moment....but who knows...things change...furthrmore bukit kiara, the future huge kiara park, mont kiara and hartamas area just around the corner.... but i stil think dat office towers shud be in KLCC/ Jln BB area.... and Kiara area juz 4 Resident towers only....
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #5
patchay

Likes (Received): 1527

nearer to kl cbd boleh? anyway developing the segambut area (montkiara etc) is good aso but it will be a loner, a giant amidst some little brothers and little trees. haha

but let's get the guessing rolling...
1. what company going listing this year arh? which company active in Klang Valley and able to fund this project?
---Naza-TTDI Developments?

2. exact location?
---guys, photos of the matrade area please =)

3. kfh involvement?

PATCHAY | Website | Facebook | Flickr | Twitter | Instagram | Foursquare
patchay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #6
Riverofmoltensteel

Likes (Received): 0

What about the larger companies like YTL? Who is the architect? What are your hopes that the design will be like? Well for me, something curvy and slendy. Also glassy.

Quote "The proposed development, on a 70-acre tract, is also set to feature a 1.2 million sq ft exhibition centre, condominiums, offices and hotels, among others." So meaning they are going to have other buildings maybe, hopefully all about 60 floors

Quote "Any developer who is keen on working there has the future in mind and I must say that it will be a good bet if plans are executed properly." Good, so more development around that area from other developers if the project goes well.

But I do agree with you guys. It should be closer to KL CBD, get a good cluster
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #7
TWK90
Infrastructure

Likes (Received): 5617

100 storey, if got spire, then it should be good for 5xx m tall...
TWK90 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #8
hetfield85
Metallica Band Member

Likes (Received): 28

I hope this project will not be objected by the local residents with NIMBY syndrome and local opposition MPs.
hetfield85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #9
AhChuan

Likes (Received): 81

100-storey wow!! Do fast post the renderings if got...
AhChuan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #10
Riverofmoltensteel

Should be 600 if can, maybe even higher of the number of floor and get a megatall :P
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #11
TWK90
Infrastructure

Another challenge is the design, the Petronas Twin Tower has unique design till that it makes the tower always associated with Malaysia just like Eiffel Tower to Paris, so....these days, there are more and more 400 m, 500 m and a few 600 m skyscrapers in planning around the world, it will be interesting to see the design, if it will match the status of KLCC which has now become the symbol of KL....and also unique...
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #12
OshHisham

Likes (Received): 7

Duta is the best area for developing another business enclave as it is near important government's department branch and within residential areas, Sentul as well, about to be connected to Ulu Klang by the DUKE, by-passes to Damansara and PJ.....only Jalan Kuching's traffic tu sakit sikit...lack of direct link to city center...

oh...forget to mention...the new Istana...

there are many RM200k condo developments around and i think better to get them...
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #13
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

maybe a project by sunrise group? they love that area right.... maybe jv sunrise/ireka? dat will be a gr8 idea... this area will be the city of the future with so many gr8 n huge projects.....
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #14
Riverofmoltensteel

Make it sound so large, and yes I do agree with TWK90, it should be something that symbolizes Malaysia in a way. Oh, and give it a good name, to signify it's status maybe, just like what rizal said
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #15
TWK90
Infrastructure

Finally, to get this project to be successful and become the second landmark of Kuala Lumpur, infrastructure planning is vital, look at KLCC, when it was implemented, it wasn't just building the PTT alone and let it become just another office tower in the city, but comprehensive infrastructure such as transport, utilities, and communications are prioritised...

I remember when KLCC was planned, not just the building of PTT itself and KLCC park being done, but also the surrounding infrastructures, such as roads, mass transit and fibreoptics....because of the KJ Line, not just people from KL coming to KLCC for weekend trips, but also from PJ and etc, so it become focal point of people during weekends....and also, because KLCC was one of the components in MSC (it exists as the northern edge of the MSC, while KLIA is the southern edge of the MSC), higher speed fibre optics was provided at KLCC too....

Of course, at 70 acres, it is still smaller than KLCC's land, hehe...

Last edited by TWK90; May 14th, 2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #16
D_Y2k.2^

Likes (Received): 349

IMHO, i think the building shouldn't be at Matrade project site. That area is already pretty jam up
D_Y2k.2^ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:46 AM   #17
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 29

so, anyone knows if this is the same as the KFH project?

this is starting to get very interesting...

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #18
OshHisham

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Y2k.2^ View Post
IMHO, i think the building shouldn't be at Matrade project site. That area is already pretty jam up
roads around Matrade are not the long one. so, queing in the line wouldn't take so much time....and traffic around that reas still 'manageable'...
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #19
WhiteChicken

guys, I live near the MATRADE and the roads there are not that jammed, but I do not think that the MATRADE area will be a good location for a 100 floors/ 500 meter tower.

In my opinion a 100 floors tower should be near KLCC to complement the Petronas Twin Towers and the KL Tower. Think about the KL Skyline, there is enough space between those 2 and with a good design it will be the perfect spot. With still the hope that Plaza Rayak will be completed with a hight around 350+m KL Skyline will be almost perfect.

A tower on its own looks sad, just like the TM tower in Bangsar.
WhiteChicken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #20
Riverofmoltensteel

Yes, I feel sorry for TM tower too Such a beautiful tower without a friend of it's own size.

Yes, not with only with the buildings above 300 meters to complete but the buildings over 250 meters such as TA, Four Seasons, and Lot C, I can imagine all that in my head. Supertalls and buildings above 250m, . Too bad TMs Menara Telekom wasn't built in KL CBD, would look real nice...
Advertisement