DERBY | Projects & Construction - Page 164 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands > Derby and Derbyshire

Derby and Derbyshire Proposals, Construction and Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2019, 07:33 PM   #3261
jellydoz

Likes (Received): 147

This is the scheme that was given approval in 2014
jellydoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2019, 11:00 PM   #3262
Markie1976

Likes (Received): 300

Needs active ground floor frontage to compliment Cathedral Green and the Museum of Making
Markie1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 03:11 PM   #3263
jellydoz

Application in to convert the old job centre, Forester House, off Becket Street to a hotel and restaurant - 111 rooms.

The operator will be easyHotel.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 11:46 PM   #3264
boyfrombrazil

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellydoz View Post
Application in to convert the old job centre, Forester House, off Becket Street to a hotel and restaurant - 111 rooms.

The operator will be easyHotel.
Good to know thanks JellyDoz but thought this was going to be converted into apartments?
boyfrombrazil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2019, 03:13 PM   #3265
jellydoz

Yes it has approval for apartments but didn’t go ahead.
Old December 4th, 2019, 10:30 PM   #3266
boyfrombrazil

Quote:
Yes it has approval for apartments but didnít go ahead.

So easyhotel is that part of easyjet? i have saw these in other cities and the rooms are tiny you walk into them and the bed is at the door, but hey if it brings jobs to Derby city center i'm all for it.

I wonder if they can do the same to Derwent street with the abandoned 13 storey apartment project and turn that into a hotel? Now that would be something to get excited about?
Old December 22nd, 2019, 09:02 PM   #3267
dmarsh

Likes (Received): 13

Looks like Becketwell is going to be scaled back, height of the tallest building will be 11 storeys, the second just 5 storeys. I'm guessing this will make it less attractive for those providing the funds so will likely never happen...

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/new...rtment-3666956
dmarsh está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2019, 09:35 PM   #3268
dmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarsh View Post
Looks like Becketwell is going to be scaled back, height of the tallest building will be 11 storeys, the second just 5 storeys. I'm guessing this will make it less attractive for those providing the funds so will likely never happen...

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/new...rtment-3666956
I actually just read that the funders were doubtful that Derby could occupy the amount of many city center flats in the original plan but also criticism from local groups Derby Civis Society and conservation groups was a factor. It's such a shame as the developer St James Securities seemed so enthusiastic a few months ago. The project will probably now just fizzle out and never get built.
Old December 23rd, 2019, 03:47 AM   #3269
boyfrombrazil

Quote:
I actually just read that the funders were doubtful that Derby could occupy the amount of many city center flats in the original plan but also criticism from local groups Derby Civis Society and conservation groups was a factor. It's such a shame as the developer St James Securities seemed so enthusiastic a few months ago. The project will probably now just fizzle out and never get built.

Or maybe it's the opposite? and they knew they would never get the go ahead from DCC planners, civic society and other groups as they would moan about the height so they put it at 19 storeys knowing this would never get passed and were happy with building at 11 and 5 storeys respectfully?

Derby just not happening for me anymore i really give up...i had so much enthusiasm in the past now i've lost all interest.

I'm in New York at the moment passing Christmas with my family and have been on the highline and we have something very similar in the Friargate bridge that we could ask the university, Bombardier, Rolls Royce to sponsor it and turn it into a sort of highline for Derby, but no it would never happen as this is Derby no visionary people that wants to see Derby move forward...I really give up first the Derwent st project now the Debenhams and Becketwell area.
Old December 23rd, 2019, 11:21 AM   #3270
jellydoz

No point in giving up! Rome wasn’t built in a day as they say.
The Becketwell scheme still has the signs that it is a proper scheme and that it will still go ahead . However, as ever it all comes down to funding .those that are investing need to be satisfied that their investment is sound - this is always the problem, and this money comes from the private sector. Building tall is expensive and so therefore higher risk if the development doesn’t do well, or at least do well quickly, which then has a detrimental effect on the next phases. Derby has little new build city centre apartment schemes and needs to have a few more successful schemes under its belt to give the market confidence it seems.

I agree with friargate bridge but building that new student flats on Agard street hasn’t helped, as it blocks the access from one side. The original friargate square development proposals had nice steps going up to the bridge in between the two blocks. The other issue now is the fact that the access on the other side is owned by Clowes developments.
Personally I would like to see the University but the friargate warehouse site, including the friargate bridge arches and develop a city centre campus. I think it needs that level of investment to get a high line type thing off the ground!
I am a member of the friends of friargate bridge and although well meaning the organisation doesn’t have the clout or the funds to doing anything serious .
Old January 3rd, 2020, 04:47 PM   #3271
boyfrombrazil

Quote:
No point in giving up! Rome wasnít built in a day as they say.
The Becketwell scheme still has the signs that it is a proper scheme and that it will still go ahead . However, as ever it all comes down to funding .those that are investing need to be satisfied that their investment is sound - this is always the problem, and this money comes from the private sector. Building tall is expensive and so therefore higher risk if the development doesnít do well, or at least do well quickly, which then has a detrimental effect on the next phases. Derby has little new build city centre apartment schemes and needs to have a few more successful schemes under its belt to give the market confidence it seems.

I agree with friargate bridge but building that new student flats on Agard street hasnít helped, as it blocks the access from one side. The original friargate square development proposals had nice steps going up to the bridge in between the two blocks. The other issue now is the fact that the access on the other side is owned by Clowes developments.
Personally I would like to see the University but the friargate warehouse site, including the friargate bridge arches and develop a city centre campus. I think it needs that level of investment to get a high line type thing off the ground!
I am a member of the friends of friargate bridge and although well meaning the organisation doesnít have the clout or the funds to doing anything serious .

You talk a lot of sense JellyDoz HAPPY NEW YEAR to all the posters on here.

The Debenham/duckworth square site will go ahead, but obviously on a smaller scale now and as you say jelly doz not much city living new builds so maybe we need this not to scare away potential new investors so let's get this one up and running and hopefully the rest of the project will be completed?

I do remember the civic society saying they had no problem with the height on the becketwell project more the location and said would prefer the taller of the buildings being 19 storeys high be built where the old Pennine hotel is located, i wonder if the developers had agreed we would still see the same height being built?

QUOTE:
I agree with friargate bridge but building that new student flats on Agard street hasnít helped, as it blocks the access from one side. The original friargate square development proposals had nice steps going up to the bridge in between the two blocks. The other issue now is the fact that the access on the other side is owned by Clowes developments.
I am a member of the friends of friargate bridge and although well meaning the organisation doesnít have the clout or the funds to doing anything serious

Totally agree again but still feel it could have a staircase at the side of the student flats as im sure there is space there?

I would love to see this turned into a university city center campus and feel this could happen and who knows the old friagate bridge and bonded warehouse might be saved after all?

COME ON everyone were is your inputs on this subject new year hopefully some new builds too?

Any up dates on THE LANDMARK on stuart street?
Old January 9th, 2020, 08:18 PM   #3272
jellydoz

Update on the Landmark:
Been some more docs uploaded on the planning site. There was a heritage based review of the proposed development by the Derwent Valley Heritage Site, obviously against the scheme but the developers have commissioned Lathams architects to critique this review, and they actually pull it apart. So the heritage arguments still rumble on, and it is still not clear to me whether the scheme will have to get back to the planning committee. I think that would be up to the planning director at the council to decide.

Other news though is I have heard a rumour that the finances behind the scheme aren’t that healthy - they don’t actually have the backing in place to build. Therefore regardless of planning decision they still need to get the money together. But at least they are still in there fighting for planning permission .
Old January 10th, 2020, 02:20 PM   #3273
bbcchrisd

Likes (Received): 5

Landmark's due to go back to planning on 13th February.
bbcchrisd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2020, 06:12 PM   #3274
dmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcchrisd View Post
Landmark's due to go back to planning on 13th February.
So that's around the time BecketWell goes to planning too? If so February sounds like it's going to be a really important month for Derby!!
Old January 14th, 2020, 07:44 PM   #3275
boyfrombrazil

Quote:
Update on the Landmark:
Been some more docs uploaded on the planning site. There was a heritage based review of the proposed development by the Derwent Valley Heritage Site, obviously against the scheme but the developers have commissioned Lathams architects to critique this review, and they actually pull it apart. So the heritage arguments still rumble on, and it is still not clear to me whether the scheme will have to get back to the planning committee. I think that would be up to the planning director at the council to decide.

Other news though is I have heard a rumour that the finances behind the scheme arenít that healthy - they donít actually have the backing in place to build. Therefore regardless of planning decision they still need to get the money together. But at least they are still in there fighting for planning permission .

This should stop and any application to build in Derby should be scrutinised with the planning dept at DCC to see if they have the funds in the first place?

I am really tired of hearing this project has been rejected this one does not have the funds, this one the heritage people have said its too tall?

I really cant think of other cities that go thru so much of this?

And if anyone from Marketing Derby are reading this THINK ITS TIME YOU EARNED YOUR MONEY AND START BRINGING IN REALISTIC INVESTMENT IN THE CITY no more going on your jollys to Monoco and China its been yrs since we have had any major investment EARN YOUR MONEY and bring these Billions of ££££ INTO DERBY LIKE YOU SAY YOU WILL
Old January 14th, 2020, 07:47 PM   #3276
boyfrombrazil

Quote:
So that's around the time BecketWell goes to planning too? If so February sounds like it's going to be a really important month for Derby!!

I'm not holding my breath for any of them projects anymore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement