DISCUSS | Megatalls of the past, present and future - Page 13 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2019, 12:50 PM   #241
PenangLion

Likes (Received): 18

There are so many megatalls that are proposed for construction, but it only seems that the Merdeka 118 is the real one still in actual construction (its already around 350m+ at least in height).

The Wuhan Greenland Centre permits to build over 600m+ are rejected, so they could only scale down the tower to around 450m+.

Meanwhile, the Jeddah Tower is still ongoing, as some unknown reports indicates that the current construction is only limited to interior construction, not on the exteriors (increasing the height). So yeah, its a shame when megatalls are constructed, only a couple of them are really truly finished. The others are either plagued by permits, or having insufficient funds to advance in the constructions.

To be honest, Jeddah Tower is kind of a "failed project" in my perspective, like really? Building a 1km high skyscraper in the middle of nowhere? Unless the Saudis really want to devote this project, and be determined to finish it, otherwise it would be another failed project like many others.

So in conclusion, the Malaysians know best in constructing megatall skyscrapers! (its gonna complete in 2021, so check it out)
PenangLion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2019, 10:42 AM   #242
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 6210

I made some minor updates to my list of (non-Vision) Megatalls quoted in the OP. Tower M KLCC has been stated to resume construction "after 2030", which I think is enough to label it as on hold for now. Tianfu Center in Chengdu also seems to have got a height cut to 488 meters, although we don't have official confirmation. To be fair, official confirmation is pretty sparse throughout the entire list, as developers tend not to speak loudly about projects when they aren't progressing. The list is made to be a little more dynamic and easier to update than the thread tags in this forum, where there are stricter requirements (and moderator approval is required) to change anything. Hence, the list also has disclaimers about potential subjectivity all over the place.

But anyway, it seems like the state of Megatall construction worldwide isn't that hot right now. From four ongoing projects, we're down to two, one of which might be subject to height cuts while the other only reaches Megatall height by means of a very tall spire. It's a shame, really. A few years ago, it seemed like a wave of Megatall skyscrapers was upon us, but for various reasons most of them seem to have been downscaled or canceled. Then again, we know the technology to build them is there (as demonstrated), so it's unlikely that we won't see any new ones be built in the next decade or so. But right now, Megatalls really seem to be out of fashion.

Hudson11 liked this post
Kyll.Ing. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2019, 08:26 AM   #243
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 9034

my hope is still on ropeless elevator technology. There are tests and it is on the horizon. More capacity on elevator shafts, makes tall buildings much much more reasonable and cost effective. I hope the next 5 years will show this technology to be viable and projects might show up again. I am moderately optimistic that we might see another building similar to Nakheel Tower or Al Burj start construction before 2030. And very optimistic that we see something over 1000m start before 2035. And this is just talking about a new world's tallest. 600m buildings should pop up a lot more again as well, especially when countries like India catch up.

A Chicagoan liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 01:51 PM   #244
Speechless.♥

Likes (Received): 774

Decade f skyscraper mania is over... It was great tmes...
Since 2010 - 2019 we could enjoy 1 building over 800m + 2 buildigs over 600m + 7 buildings over 500m. In the next decade probbly no buildigs over 500m will be topped out (maybe Jeddah tower, Crek tower and certinly Merdka ). World financial crise is comming now. But 10īs will always stay as a decde of super-mega talls in our heart

Last edited by Speechless.♥; December 9th, 2019 at 02:01 PM.
Speechless.♥ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2019, 11:07 AM   #245
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

less megatalls certainly, but anything under 500m has no sign of slowing down.

According to skyscrapercenter.com, This year will see the most completions:

> 450m (3, tied with 2010,2018),
> 400m (6, next biggest is 4),
> 350m (11, next biggest is 6),
> 300m (26, next biggest is 18),
> 250m (62, next biggest is 45).

So, yes, we have a slowdown of megatalls, but year after year we have more and more skyscraper projects. There was a time when I knew every supertall in the world, now i can't even remember all supertalls in Shenzhen. Of course there is frustration in not being able to follow a new World's Tallest Building being constructed after all the promises in the last decade, I am sad about it as well, but I do not like the overall negative sentiment here, we should be celebrating that every year more and more skyscrapers are coming. That being said, yes I think there is an economic slowdown coming as well, but it won't be a very hard hit overall I think. Less vanity projects over 600m, but I don't think the overall trend stops soon. Many countries are bound to have a skyscraper boom sooner or later even when China slows down, and new technology such as the ropeless elevator will have a big impact and may make megatalls an economically viable option again.

Kyll.Ing., Ch.W, jackedi07, The-Real-Link liked this post
Old December 11th, 2019, 05:43 PM   #246
Hudson11
Excelsior!

Likes (Received): 38211

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2019, 10:10 AM   #247
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

yeah, had the video in my subscriptions as well. Good rundown on the whole dilemma and agree on all points. Some points to add though: The hotel in the upper floors of Shanghai Tower was not finished last time i was in Shanghai, so that's the reason the floors don't light up I think. I also think, he could have mentioned the whole China thing (although as we know there aren't official sources, so that might be the reason to not mention it), mentioning that the 800m design for the plot in Suzhou was the same company as the one in Changsha. And I still think the whole ropeless elevator thing will be a game-changer in the future, making megatalls economically feasible, but this is still off 10-20 years, so mentioning that could have been a nice way to end on a positive note.

the channel is great btw, I recommend subscribing.

mowaten, Skyflan28 liked this post
Old December 12th, 2019, 03:26 PM   #248
mowaten

Likes (Received): 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Glad to see that people from SCC are also following the B1M! one of the greatest youtube channels. I'll include Wendover productions too even though its more about economics than architecture
mowaten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2019, 04:44 PM   #249
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!

Likes (Received): 3818

Wendover had a few videos about skyscrapers, but he's definitely more knowledgeable about airplanes than architecture.

mowaten liked this post
A Chicagoan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2019, 06:24 PM   #250
Jay
It was aliens

Likes (Received): 2267

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangLion View Post
So in conclusion, the Malaysians know best in constructing megatall skyscrapers! (its gonna complete in 2021, so check it out)
I guess? Roof/occupied matters most to me and while it's very tall, it's not a legit 600+ meters, just like how One WTC is not a legit 500+ meter building, only structurally.

My prediction is that Burj Khalifa will remain the tallest for a long time.

A Chicagoan liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2019, 11:23 PM   #251
RickLW

Likes (Received): 872

SHANGHAI TOWER still the best in a gigantic city not the desert.

Architecture lover liked this post
RickLW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 03:01 PM   #252
perheps

Likes (Received): 589

This is 2020s would be few megatalls probably five of them (including Jeddah Tower) if beginning construction between late 2022 to mid 2024 then would be two megatall over 600 metre skyscrapers mid or late 2028 or early 2029 then 700 metre tall would be opening mid 2029
Meanwhile would be second building 800 metre tall early 2030 since Burj Khalifa
Could be first 1 kilometres tall opening 2032 if beginning 2024 more likely in Middle East some reports
Jeddah Tower remains uncertain future rumours would be left them for 5 years once settled down first resuming them again open 2030 more likely
perheps está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2020, 07:21 PM   #253
Hudson11
Excelsior!

Likes (Received): 38211

my idea moving forward is to archive any project without news after 3 years (kind of arbitrary, but 2 years seems too soon to me) A lot of threads on the page have been sitting inactive since 2017. If there's a rendering it'll go to the rate our visions section, if not, to the archives. Sound reasonable?
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2020, 08:55 PM   #254
Architecture lover
Purple silk, silver skin

Likes (Received): 4713

Some might agree: the world's most beautiful megatall so far.

Shanghai Tower | 上海中心大厦 | 2016

Gensler
632 meters - 128 story megatall skyscraper

Source

Source
σεμνότητι, οἷς μᾶλλον ἁλίσκεται τὸ ἀγροικικὸν τοῦτο καὶ
στρατιωτικὸν ἔθνος. Οὐ γὰρ διορᾷ εἰς ψυχὴν οὐδ'
ἐνατενίζει πρὸς ἀρετήν, ἀλλὰ μέχρι τῶν τοῦ σώματος
ἀρετῶν ἵσταται τόλμαν καὶ ῥώμην καὶ δρόμον καὶ
μέγεθος θαυμάζον καὶ ταῦτα κρῖνον ἄξια ἁλουργίδος καὶ
διαδήματος. | ΑΛΕΞΙΑΣ - ΑΝΝΑ ΚΟΜΝΗΝΗ - ΒΙΒΛΙΟ 1

Architecture lover está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2020, 11:22 PM   #255
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 7079

I really like the Burj Khalifa but the Shanghai Tower is definitely my favourite tower on earth
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2020, 01:53 AM   #256
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 6210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
my idea moving forward is to archive any project without news after 3 years (kind of arbitrary, but 2 years seems too soon to me) A lot of threads on the page have been sitting inactive since 2017. If there's a rendering it'll go to the rate our visions section, if not, to the archives. Sound reasonable?
Sounds reasonable indeed. We know already that most Megatall projects never end up materializing, but quite a few of them keep being proposed still. Paying artists to draw a Megatall is, after all, quite a bit cheaper than paying somebody to build the thing. And proposing something ludicrous is a good way to generate publicity for a project/district/city/company, even if it isn't intended to be built, so many Megatalls are proposed for that reason as well - doomed to fall to the wayside from the very start.

I think we should make an exception for towers that made it to the U/C stage, though, and keep the thread in here until the final fate of the tower is cleared (or at least for a few more years than the mere proposals). For instance, Jeddah Tower has been standing still with no official news for almost two years already, and it's reasonable to assume it will remain like that for another year. But that's too early to archive the thread, as it still sees regular activity and people can walk over and take pictures of the half-built tower. Likewise for Dubai Creek Tower, whose foundations were completed a year and a half ago and whose continuation is nowhere in sight. But as long as there is a site, there should be a thread, at least for a while. If either building ends up in a Plaza Rakyat situation, where the site is abandoned for several decades, I would consider moving it, but until that unlikely situation manifests itself (decades from now in any case) I'd keep the thread open.

ssoott, BinSuroor liked this post
Kyll.Ing. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2020, 10:34 AM   #257
ssoott
Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyll.Ing. View Post
But as long as there is a site, there should be a thread, at least for a while. If either building ends up in a Plaza Rakyat situation, where the site is abandoned for several decades, I would consider moving it, but until that unlikely situation manifests itself (decades from now in any case) I'd keep the thread open.
This is probably the best gauge to determine whether a thread should be allowed to stay or not. No site = no thread. Or else the board will be filled with hollow visions and empty dreams because anyone can do that. But by securing a physical site, only a serious developer can do it.
Old January 15th, 2020, 07:57 AM   #258
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Posting it here, as the Jeddah thread is closed and it might disappear behind other threads in a few days again. Gabriel just had some interesting remarks on Jeddah Tower... For those who do not know, Gabriel often "predicts" events happening before they actually happen, as he has inside information that he cannot go into details to. He can just make little teasers like this one to keep us informed while protecting his sources and not actually announcing anything the public is not supposed to know yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel9000 View Post
Very good news is coming very soon!
So we can discuss here what this might mean. The following post is from 2 months ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim shekh View Post
Jeddah Economic Co., owner of the proposed world's tallest building, plans to restart the tower's construction in a few months, said Antony Wood, executive director of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, at the CTBUH's Tenth World Congress, Oct. 28-30, in Chicago. JEC halted work on the structural concrete job in January 2018, when the core had reached a height of 256 meters. Main contractor Saudi Bin Laden Group was originally scheduled to complete the building this year. Only time will tell whether the project will hit its design height of more than 1 kilometer. If it does, it will be at least 172 m taller than the current record-holder, the 828-m Burj Khalifa in Dubai. Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture designed the tapered megatower with three wings and no columns. Throughout each floor plate is a series of 85-MPa reinforced-concrete walls, interconnected by link beams, according to the structure's designer, Thornton Tomasetti.
sources (second-hand information): [1], [2]

An announcement and construction continuing shortly after would just be amazing! Let us all hope! This is a big deal. This might also put pressure on Dubai Creek again. I can really just hope that 2020 will see old dreams resurrected. So I, at least, will now be cautiously optimistic.

ed500, Kadzman, A Chicagoan liked this post

Last edited by KillerZavatar; January 15th, 2020 at 09:23 AM.
Old January 15th, 2020, 01:45 PM   #259
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 7079

Lets hope the best. Would be great to see at least the Kingdom Tower to be completed!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2020, 10:31 PM   #260
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!

Likes (Received): 3818

It's 2020 now. Two years ago, I expected that there would be a new world's tallest building this year. Guess I'll just have to wait some more. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't restart construction or it doesn't hit its original height, in which case Burj Khalifa might last as long as the Sears Tower did.

KillerZavatar liked this post
A Chicagoan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement