Colombo Megapolis - plans, projects and development - Page 269 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Sri Lanka > Infrastructure, Transportation & Economy

Infrastructure, Transportation & Economy Discussing developments in infrastructure, transportation & economy

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2019, 07:11 PM   #5361
rajbanda

Likes (Received): 26

Today I happen to drive within city limits...its pathetic to see the state of the city...roads are full of dust, grass overgrown and not mowed even.in front of Municipal council..
Pot holes all over...

I think this Colombo MC has failed
miserably...so sad that too soon from a well kept city today its gone literally to dogs..
rajbanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2019, 09:43 AM   #5362
kp92

Likes (Received): 514

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PREDATOR View Post
Cabinet approves Ports Ministry’s Rs 300m request for Galle Face upgrade

Just days after the Lanka Electricity Co. (Pvt) Ltd rejected a Power & Energy Ministry attempt to suck out Rs 375 million of its funds, for a Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) project, to develop Mihintale, Cabinet has passed a Ports Ministry request to draw Rs 300 million from Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA) on a CSR initiative to upgrade Galle Face Green.

The relevant Cabinet paper maintains that Murad Ismail, a renowned architect, had initiated the project by offering architectural consultancy services through his firm, ATS Consultants—in effect, an unsolicited proposal. But Mr Ismail categorically told the Sunday Times that the initiative did not spring from him but that he was approached by the Ports Ministry.

The Ports Ministry envisages finishing the development in 18 months. As Galle Face Green is not a property of the SLPA, but of the Urban Development Authority (UDA), “any costs incurring on such development would have to be carried out on CSR budget, as also implemented previously,” the Cabinet paper, obtained under the Right to Information Act, states.

The project will include improving the pier, which hosts the national flag, and introducing soft landscaping elements—such as grass, trees and plants—as well as hard landscaping elements such as paving paths and outdoor furniture. Trees of an “appropriate type and scale” are also to be planted along the roadside to provide cover and to reduce concentration of pollutants.

There will be seating options for the public, as well as development of the seafront, suitable lighting design and a modular kiosk for vendors. The shops and food outlets are to be relocated giving due consideration to sanitation and garbage disposal. Extra parking too, is part of the plan.

The proposal was given the nod by the Ministry of Finance, subject to the condition that the upgrading of Galle Face Green should be aligned with the master plan to develop Colombo under the Ministry of Megapolis & Western Development. Secondly, a consultant should be selected in accordance with National Procurement Guidelines.

The UDA, in 2006, handed over the management of Galle Face Green to the SLPA. Ten years later, in 2016, the Sri Lanka Port Management & Consultancy Services (Pvt) Ltd was set up as an associate company on profit-sharing basis.

“There was no procurement process for the selection of consultant, because it was an unsolicited proposal,” said Ports Ministry Secretary Admiral Sirimevan Ranasinghe, despite Mr Ismail insisting that the idea did not emanate from him. The Secretary said it was a good project and it had his support.

Cabinet approval was also subject to conditions. The Ports Ministry was instructed to obtain a report from a team of experts, including the Head of Department of Architecture of the University of Moratuwa, before agreeing on designs and detailed plans. There must be consultation with the UDA and authorities of the Colombo Port City development project. And the initiative must be aligned with other plans for Colombo, stewarded by the Ministry of Megapolis & Western Development.

“Discussions with these groups are continuing,” Admiral Ranasinghe said. The cost of the project is estimated at Rs 300 million. Two percent of this, or Rs 6 million, is being charged as a consultancy fee—a significantly lower fee than is usually charged by Mr Ismail.

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/191013/new...de-373150.html
I find it hard to believe someone like Murad Ismail would start sending unsolicited proposals to the government. The man is a legend in the architecture field that's worked a lot with the private sector- sounds like the state sector trying to cover its ass by putting this on him.

Solid choice though. Can't go wrong with a guy like him unless these ministry types start poking their noses in.
Old November 1st, 2019, 07:57 PM   #5363
zeeron

Likes (Received): 1778

Colombo Skyline from Rajagiriya

https://gramho.com/media/2162862465061653503
Old December 8th, 2019, 09:46 AM   #5364
Goonbag

Likes (Received): 41

Nice pic,
However, picture like this makes me wondered if the Colombo fire brigade will have the capability to fight multi-story/ highrise fires. From what I have seen on the internet the fire brigade struggles to put out any large fire without the help of the armed forces. Seems like they have been underfunded for many years sadly. The fact that they have to rely on the armed forces' help, shows the underfunding has taken its toll on the fire brigade.
(note: I'm not criticizing the armed forces, I'm really taking aim at "the powers that be" particularly the Colombo municipal council)

Also, I have noticed there are only a few fire stations in the Colombo metropolitan area, will this be enough? Considering that the port city is now apart of Colombo officially, and the rapid rate of skyscrapers and apartments being built in Colombo. Does the fire service have enough equipment like aerial platforms and fire tenders to cover the Colombo metropolitan area?

I wonder if the new government will consider improving the Colombo fire brigade because, in my eyes, a lack of funding will jeopardise the publics safety.

Last edited by Goonbag; December 8th, 2019 at 09:47 AM. Reason: a word
Goonbag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2019, 10:47 PM   #5365
ObiWanKenobi

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonbag View Post
Nice pic,
However, picture like this makes me wondered if the Colombo fire brigade will have the capability to fight multi-story/ highrise fires. From what I have seen on the internet the fire brigade struggles to put out any large fire without the help of the armed forces. Seems like they have been underfunded for many years sadly. The fact that they have to rely on the armed forces' help, shows the underfunding has taken its toll on the fire brigade.
(note: I'm not criticizing the armed forces, I'm really taking aim at "the powers that be" particularly the Colombo municipal council)

Also, I have noticed there are only a few fire stations in the Colombo metropolitan area, will this be enough? Considering that the port city is now apart of Colombo officially, and the rapid rate of skyscrapers and apartments being built in Colombo. Does the fire service have enough equipment like aerial platforms and fire tenders to cover the Colombo metropolitan area?

I wonder if the new government will consider improving the Colombo fire brigade because, in my eyes, a lack of funding will jeopardise the publics safety.
Fully concur. The nation should have a nationwide ambulance service, fire brigade with adequate resources to be able to deal with high rises and get around quickly. But sadly stupid policymaking funds vast swathes of bureaucrats, Provincial Councils (which people never gave a mandate for and imposed on us) and jobs for the boys which offer no benefit to the people, and not a proper set of emergency services. Indeed, in Colombo, given the development of new styles of buildings, our archaic fire service which must still be using the things the British left, needs upgrading with equipment capable of responding to and dealing with high rise situations. There is clearly PLENTY OF MONEY to fund such things. Take a look around Colombo every time a VIP convoy passes you. Who paid for it? We all did. Who pays for all the people demanding bribes at government offices? We all did. A fire brigade is not going to cost a lot of money at all. What is also alarming is the smog in the city. I sincerely hope there won't be any more idiotic ventures to build coal plants when the entire world is trying to move toward a carbon neutral future.

Shakeel, zeeron, Goonbag, Popthepuff liked this post

Last edited by ObiWanKenobi; December 11th, 2019 at 07:34 PM.
ObiWanKenobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2019, 05:17 AM   #5366
THE PREDATOR

Likes (Received): 628

Government to introduce vertical parking system to reduce traffic congestion

The government will introduce a Radial and Circular road system while adding sky bridges, vertical parking lots and flyovers in key areas to reduce traffic congestion in Colombo, a government policy document said.

This was affirmed in the seventh chapter of the policy document titled “New Approach in National Spatial System.”

Under the section “New Colombo” of the 21st century” it has been stated that measures will be taken to develop a modern rapid transport system to ease congestion in transport and commuting.

Activities announced under this strategy as follows;

Develop a Metro Rail system to link the satellite cities in the Colombo district including the Port City.
Develop a Light Rail Transit (LRT) system to ease congestion in transport and commuting
Introduce a Radial and Circular road system while adding sky bridges, vertical parking lots and flyovers in key area

http://bizenglish.adaderana.lk/gover...ic-congestion/
Old December 24th, 2019, 04:31 PM   #5367
pawan keta's

Likes (Received): 75

Tallest buildings in sl wiki page need some serious updating
pawan keta's no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2019, 03:52 AM   #5368
Shakeel

Likes (Received): 209

Hope the road adjoining the CCC and Altair would be revamped as well as the Union Place. I was staying at 320 Union Place for 3 days, my kids had so many stumbles on the pavement. Garbage strewn and the trees uprooting clearly needs CMC attention. It needs reawakening as both sides of the road have alot of new buildings and Corporate clout. Ideal to have more branded boutiques.
Shakeel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2019, 06:05 AM   #5369
jimpappa

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeel View Post
Hope the road adjoining the CCC and Altair would be revamped as well as the Union Place. I was staying at 320 Union Place for 3 days, my kids had so many stumbles on the pavement. Garbage strewn and the trees uprooting clearly needs CMC attention. It needs reawakening as both sides of the road have alot of new buildings and Corporate clout. Ideal to have more branded boutiques.
When was this shakeel? isn't the garbage situation better now?
jimpappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2019, 06:44 AM   #5370
prsl

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Better to ask the uda the cmc does nothing only people in the cmc who do there jobs properly are the street cleaners and even then the cleaners aren't properly told what do by the authorities
Anyway was this recent since the new government started a major clean up drive with the police the army and volunteers the city looks a lot cleaner now
prsl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2019, 08:11 PM   #5371
ak892

Likes (Received): 1480

Quote:
Also the pavement from CCC walking towards Cinnamon Life needs some serious repairs. At some points it feels like walking on rubble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpappa View Post
When was this shakeel? isn't the garbage situation better now?
There's a lot of cleaners ensuring a good clean environment but there is a major need to change people's mindsets. I've seen too many times in the last week people chucking rubbish from the trains and buses.

I've seen the "beach" by Bamba railway tracks being cleaned in the morning but come the afternoon it's littered with trash (mainly bottles and food wrappers).

There isn't just a need to educate people but a serious need to change people's mindsets. I think nearly everyone in the country is aware of the problems with littering. I remember one of my friends, a trainee doctor, just leaving his litter in the park and I was like what are you doing. He was like "oh it doesn't matter. There's a cleaner who will come and clean it up. Isn't that the whole point of government taxes".

Last edited by ak892; December 26th, 2019 at 08:16 PM.
ak892 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2019, 03:46 AM   #5372
Shakeel

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsl View Post
Better to ask the uda the cmc does nothing only people in the cmc who do there jobs properly are the street cleaners and even then the cleaners aren't properly told what do by the authorities
Anyway was this recent since the new government started a major clean up drive with the police the army and volunteers the city looks a lot cleaner now
It was last Friday. You could see the bolts popping off the street or hoarding stands. The pavements are uneven on Union Place. Have a uniform flow for a relaxed and safe walk. The huge tree with crows nestled on the roundabout leading to Hilton Residencies and Cargills, need serious attention. You cant evade from a poop on your head or clothing.

If CMC puts their heads togather this street would be awesome like the Galle Road section of Bambalapitiya or even better. More lighting and public safety would be added benefits.

ObiWanKenobi liked this post
Shakeel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2019, 06:54 AM   #5373
prsl

Quote:
It was last Friday. You could see the bolts popping off the street or hoarding stands. The pavements are uneven on Union Place. Have a uniform flow for a relaxed and safe walk. The huge tree with crows nestled on the roundabout leading to Hilton Residencies and Cargills, need serious attention. You cant evade from a poop on your head or clothing.

If CMC puts their heads togather this street would be awesome like the Galle Road section of Bambalapitiya or even better. More lighting and public safety would be added benefits.
I doubt the cmc would do anything but I hope the uda might develop the area under beira lake master plan if they could divert traffic we could convert some streets to promenades and make it a tourist area

the crows are different issue we can't cut down the trees so I don't what they can do but this keeps getting a bigger issue

Shakeel, ObiWanKenobi liked this post
Old December 29th, 2019, 06:56 AM   #5374
THE PREDATOR

Likes (Received): 628

Government to launch first foreign investment project for US$ 250 million mixed development

Dec 29, Colombo: The Ministry of Finance says the first foreign investment under the new government of President Gotabaya Rajapaksa will be launched shortly.

The Ministry in a statement said a foreign investor called Perennial Real Estate Holdings will make the investment on a plot of land located between the Beira Lake and Shangri-La Hotel on Baladhaksha Mawatha in Colombo by.

The US $ 250 million foreign investment project will see the construction of a 30-storey commercial tower inclusive of 700 new residencies. In addition it will also have facilities for retail and food outlets.

The Cabinet of Ministers has approved the proposal made by Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa as the Minister of Finance, Economy and Policy Development to facilitate investment activities for the relevant company.

With the signing of the agreement soon, the land for the project will be leased out to the company and the Government of Sri Lanka will receive US Dollar 43 million as the payment for the leasing.

http://www.colombopage.com/archive_1...77593063CH.php

skylover2222 liked this post
THE PREDATOR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2020, 11:54 AM   #5375
kp92

Likes (Received): 514

Quote:
the crows are different issue we can't cut down the trees so I don't what they can do but this keeps getting a bigger issue
I mean, we all know why Colombo has such a huge crow problem- it's because of the garbage dumps in and around the city, both small and large. Get rid of the dumps and fly-tipping, and we get rid of the problem.

Sikuru7.lk, ObiWanKenobi liked this post
kp92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2020, 09:39 PM   #5376
ObiWanKenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak892 View Post
Also the pavement from CCC walking towards Cinnamon Life needs some serious repairs. At some points it feels like walking on rubble.

There's a lot of cleaners ensuring a good clean environment but there is a major need to change people's mindsets. I've seen too many times in the last week people chucking rubbish from the trains and buses.

I've seen the "beach" by Bamba railway tracks being cleaned in the morning but come the afternoon it's littered with trash (mainly bottles and food wrappers).

There isn't just a need to educate people but a serious need to change people's mindsets. I think nearly everyone in the country is aware of the problems with littering. I remember one of my friends, a trainee doctor, just leaving his litter in the park and I was like what are you doing. He was like "oh it doesn't matter. There's a cleaner who will come and clean it up. Isn't that the whole point of government taxes".
Very well put. You are quite correct. As for the trainee doctor, a local Auntie should have walked over, pulled him by the ear and given him a thundering slap for that behaviour. Good golly. There needs to be a national plan for garbage collection (refuse and recycling). The country should be cleaned every single day and certainly there has been zero moves for a proper refuse scheme, but it is most disappointing to see people who just leave garbage, or cigarette butts all over the place. It's just immoral to just walk away from rubbish that you yourself have created. As for Colombo, if it is cleaned up, then that will naturally make it a better place to walk around in (for locals and tourists) even before you start building boutique shops, bars etc.
Old January 6th, 2020, 09:44 AM   #5377
prsl

http://www.dailymirror.lk/business-n...icy/273-180774

New plan to build 4 main cities colombo, jaffna, trincomalee, colombo

Converting colombo trinco corridor to Colombo hambantota corridor since infrastructure already exist

New metro system along with a new lrt system in colombo

New Expressway development

To be carried out directly by the prime minister

ArchEnthusiast, ObiWanKenobi, llcccll liked this post
Old January 6th, 2020, 08:16 PM   #5378
ObiWanKenobi

Quote:
http://www.dailymirror.lk/business-n...icy/273-180774

New plan to build 4 main cities colombo, jaffna, trincomalee, colombo

Converting colombo trinco corridor to Colombo hambantota corridor since infrastructure already exist

New metro system along with a new lrt system in colombo

New Expressway development

To be carried out directly by the prime minister
I saw that as well. Excellent. However, three things:
1. There should be a drive to settle people and get national economic activity toward Trincomalee, the Central Highlands, etc and the building of infrastructure connectivity (whether you want to call them corridors or high speed trains is immaterial) will boost National economic activity and the business/tourist environment considerably.
2. The timeline highlighted by the article is far too unambitious. 2050 is miles away. Singapore got to where it is with far less resources. China developed considerably over a 30 year period, but is far larger. Ceylon can easily do it in around 10 years tops. The target should be to get his done within one decade.
3. Hambantota needs better connectivity with Colombo and so does Trincomalee (and frankly the whole country). One should feasibly be able to live and work on opposite ends of the island.
Old January 7th, 2020, 10:14 AM   #5379
Goonbag

Start Beira Lake Purification Project immediately: President

http://www.dailymirror.lk/breaking_n...ent/108-180863
Old January 17th, 2020, 05:40 AM   #5380
Goonbag

Green light for civil helicopter flights from Galle Face
http://www.ft.lk/front-page/Green-li...Face/44-693729

Very good idea, considering that Galle face is surrounded by hotels, many high flying and high paying tourists will like this a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement