World Wheel Company "Whey Aye" WHEEL at Spillers Wharf | Newcastle | Proposed - Page 8 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old August 26th, 2019, 12:10 AM   #141
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Opinion View Post
The journalistic quality is in the coherence of his message, and the way it keeps us on point on what matters. Is this scheme what in the here and now is what Newcastle/Tyneside needs?

We can look at numbers, statistics and data and provide an objective comment on the suitability of this proposal, but thatís seriously missing the point. What is really critical is the subjective... will people like this? Will it enhance the Tyne riverside? Does it fit within the narrative of the built history? Most importantly, is this a development that the elected arbiters of our City should be allowing/scrutinising/encouraging?

Newcastle suffers because itís governance is too small, under resourced and relatively powerless. Add to that a local media that canít even challenge the local pantomime villain at our football club, never mind help us see the bigger picture of issues surrounding us like this abominable proposition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godscrasher View Post
To be fair, I'd trust N.O to give a better report and view than what's been given in that article.
Plus one.. [or two]

N.O. try and sell an article to NCJ, in fact we can work together on it. No it will be spiked.. the Eye however...hmmm

Old August 30th, 2019, 01:33 AM   #142
No Opinion

Likes (Received): 1021

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
Plus one.. [or two]

N.O. try and sell an article to NCJ, in fact we can work together on it. No it will be spiked.. the Eye however...hmmm
Iím afraid Iím contractually tied to making up stories for Take A Break magazine until 2031. Stories for constipated middle aged women donít write themselves!

Off subject, but arenít some of the stories published in those magazines amazing? Torture, abuse, rape, violence, adultery, bingo, disembowelment. All in ĎThats Life!í magazine. Well, it really isnít I hope.

More importantly, this sort of sus development clearly should be under the radar of Hislopís army of articulates. NCJ website is a no go. I often accidentally click on links from this fine forum and freeze my iPad while an advert for vegan laser hair Botox therapy loads. I just wanted to look at a render of the latest monstrosity from our friends at Intersect Architects!

Disclaimer. Intersect Architects are great.

If Ian Hislop is reading this... isnít this cheeky litigiousness enough? Marry me!

Godscrasher liked this post
No Opinion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2019, 04:11 PM   #143
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Iím afraid Iím contractually tied to making up stories for Take A Break magazine until 2031. Stories for constipated middle aged women donít write themselves!

Off subject, but arenít some of the stories published in those magazines amazing? Torture, abuse, rape, violence, adultery, bingo, disembowelment. All in ĎThats Life!í magazine. Well, it really isnít I hope.

More importantly, this sort of sus development clearly should be under the radar of Hislopís army of articulates. NCJ website is a no go. I often accidentally click on links from this fine forum and freeze my iPad while an advert for vegan laser hair Botox therapy loads. I just wanted to look at a render of the latest monstrosity from our friends at Intersect Architects!

If Ian Hislop is reading this... isnít this cheeky litigiousness enough? Marry me!
Ah now I was wondering what the Chronic journos did when they were supposed to be doing news rather than cutting and pasting 'Viv Graham ate my hamster at St James park' stories, now we know, they are moonlighting for Take a Break

In seriousness there are enough odd odours wafting around the wheel that I suspect the Eye might be interested. It sort of falls between Piloti and Rotten Boroughs.
newcastlepubs está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2019, 10:14 PM   #144
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:

brilliant!

No Opinion liked this post
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 03:46 PM   #145
penumbra-

Likes (Received): 76

Todayís news in the chron will probably come as no surprise to most of us on here. If this thing gets build Iíll swim the Tyne in my birthday suit

tameracingdriver liked this post
penumbra- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 04:02 PM   #146
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 4059

The Whey Aye: £100m Quayside project 'now expected to open in 2023'

Chronicle Live website article from 09/12/19

EXTRACT

When ChronicleLive exclusively revealed the plans last year, developers initially hoped to open in late 2020.

However, that date has now been pushed back, although developers say they are in advanced negotiations to fund the project, based at the Spillers Flour Mill site.

Newcastle City Council granted planning permission for the site - named 'Giants of the Quayside' - in July. However, a proposed giant LED screen - a key revenue stream for the site - has yet to receive the green light.

Full article on https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...oject-17374402

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 06:03 PM   #147
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post

Chronicle Live website article from 09/12/19

EXTRACT

When ChronicleLive exclusively revealed the plans last year, developers initially hoped to open in late 2020.

However, that date has now been pushed back, although developers say they are in advanced negotiations to fund the project, based at the Spillers Flour Mill site.

Newcastle City Council granted planning permission for the site - named 'Giants of the Quayside' - in July. However, a proposed giant LED screen - a key revenue stream for the site - has yet to receive the green light.

Full article on https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...oject-17374402

KEN
There must be a queue of people with their chequebooks open ... can we have a few million quid to build a madcap wheel where the council hasn't actally agreed to let us use it for the only revenue stream that has a chance of recovering the costs.

Usual prediction - this will be the Gate on the Quayside. Fairly nasty bars and restaurants with a bit of leisure chucked in. Land sole at a bargain basement price and either no wheel or a very little 'un to save face. That is something you could sell to developers.
Old December 10th, 2019, 12:58 AM   #148
No Opinion

I concur.... this will go the same way as that skyscraper above a strip club on Carliol Square. Get some headlines, woo planners, roll back, make a quick buck whilst making out it was all the councils fault.
Old December 10th, 2019, 02:44 PM   #149
prostu2

Likes (Received): 34

Do you think they might actually be asking for the big screen issue to be resolved.
Allow them the full viability of the project, it clearly is a jeopardising factor and best resolved.
Effectively, it is half granted.
Please remember other projects went forward based from the wheel project.
Keep the momentum going or after effects will see a few things going pear shaped.
Resolve it one way or the other.
prostu2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2019, 03:06 PM   #150
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostu2 View Post
Do you think they might actually be asking for the big screen issue to be resolved.
Allow them the full viability of the project, it clearly is a jeopardising factor and best resolved.
Effectively, it is half granted.
Please remember other projects went forward based from the wheel project.
Keep the momentum going or after effects will see a few things going pear shaped.
Resolve it one way or the other.
I think it's more nuanced than that. Essentially this is a two part development:
  • a sort of Gate bar, restaurant and mixed leisure development which entirely predictably NCC fell over it's feet to approve
  • the wheel as proposed

For a ton of reasons covered here I [and lots of others] are very sceptical that the wheel can ever wash its face, even with the fairy lights. I don't know a lot about wheels but I ve a reasonable handle on the numbers on leisure facilities which have a core attraction. The numbers don't add up. There also seem to be some planning reasons [intrusive-ness etc] that make the lights questionable.

Essentially the developer has permission for the bit they wanted - the leisure development. The wheel was a way of creating profile and if you're a cynic you might think a way to get the land at a bargain basement price [less than a semi] in return for a 'landmark' project.

If you look at the narrative of this you'll see it's very much moved from the wheel to the leisure 'giants on the tyne' concept.

Oddly I suspect if anything jeopardises the project as a whole it would be compelling the developer to build the money pit wheel.

It would be win win for both sides if NCC places restrictions on the wheel that allowed the developers to say 'not economic'. NCC looks tough and the developer makes a pile of cash from the bit they wanted in the first place.
Old December 10th, 2019, 05:38 PM   #151
prostu2

Just resolve it, there can only be yes or no. Elliot Group forwarded their submission for Hawks Mill as soon as the Wheel project was granted partial permission.
Tourist attractions are essential builds, without them, there is no point in building new hotels or the amount currently being put forward.
It is not a big issue.
Old December 10th, 2019, 06:31 PM   #152
No Opinion

Prostu I do fear a fundamental departure from our thinking.

There is way more than a yes or no here.

A giant illuminated sign is something I would actively fight against. Who would want advertisement boards on our skyline? No way.

What they are proposing makes no sense. What tourist is going to sit on a wheel to take in the delights of Walker and Felling? No one. It's a joke.

There are those who believe that it is a cynical attempt to generate some publicity and negotiate a cheap land deal. There will likely never be a wheel as proposed.

I am not a nimby and spend a great deal of time appease or negotiating with them. But there are limits to what should be built, no matter whatever short term gain can be justified. We should not let our city be taken advantage of.
Old December 10th, 2019, 06:50 PM   #153
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Just resolve it, there can only be yes or no. Elliot Group forwarded their submission for Hawks Mill as soon as the Wheel project was granted partial permission.
Tourist attractions are essential builds, without them, there is no point in building new hotels or the amount currently being put forward.
It is not a big issue.
My feeling is that if they want it visible in the dark from outer-space then it might well be a no, or rather there will be conditions that the developer says no to [and can save face and 'blame' NCC].

However the wheel is not the key project whatever they say, that's the Gate on the Quay and they have permission for that, which is what they wanted.

I suspect you must see this a lot too - projects with a high profile [notionally] core attraction, that very quickly gets bumped into phase 2 and then over the horizon.
Old December 10th, 2019, 10:12 PM   #154
prostu2

Most if not all major cities have big illuminated advery boards, at West Bromwich area of M5 motorway, also around Manchester, London, Liverpool etc.
They do not look grim, Newcastle needs brightened up anyways.
I am relaxed about the WWC. I personally think some people are over looking into what the WWC are wanting to achieve, by mentioning their own thoughts.
That project is having viability restricted. I would be cautious if taking a cog out of a gear system.
WWC obviously need something in to make it worth while.
Not one person is bigger than the city. Maybe allocate them 2yrs licence for the big screen and see what impact it actually has, rather than let it fall to bits at last hurdle.
I can guarantee hotel & other potential developments will suffer when tourism infra structure is not built
Old December 10th, 2019, 10:25 PM   #155
prostu2

That complete development is welcome at more than one city.
You need people coming to Newcastle.
There is far too much prejudice towards size, scale & modern attraction.
It is about tommorrow, not yesterday.
Old December 10th, 2019, 10:53 PM   #156
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Check through the thread, there's quite a lot of analysis about the viability of the wheel. The assessment of most here seems to be that it's the wheel that would damage the viability of the project.

I'm happy to be proven wrong [as I suspect are others] but building the biggest wheel in the land with a view of Byker and the Ouseburn [lovely though they are]..... well it might wash its face but I'd not be investing [and broadly this is an area I consult in].

This isn't just a large illuminated board by a motorway, it would be I assume by some measure the biggest illuminated board in the country, in a city centre.
Old December 10th, 2019, 11:29 PM   #157
prostu2

Rather than be focused on closure, a fairer method would be to maybe apply time restrictions on display.
The comments from viewing from space are applied with prejudice and biasm. Think of every time, each and all of us, take off from Newcastle airport, visualise the images of; St James Park, Gateshead Stadium, Metro Centre and so forth. The footprint of many elements of the city is far greater than an illuminated display board. Put this situation into a realistic, non discriminating brackets, rather than applied unfairness.
As earlier, taking cogs out of gearing will have negative, knock on effects.
Think of other methods before closure.
Old December 11th, 2019, 01:45 AM   #158
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Rather than be focused on closure, a fairer method would be to maybe apply time restrictions on display.
The comments from viewing from space are applied with prejudice and biasm. Think of every time, each and all of us, take off from Newcastle airport, visualise the images of; St James Park, Gateshead Stadium, Metro Centre and so forth. The footprint of many elements of the city is far greater than an illuminated display board. Put this situation into a realistic, non discriminating brackets, rather than applied unfairness.
As earlier, taking cogs out of gearing will have negative, knock on effects.
Think of other methods before closure.
I'm not convinced that the time limit works - there is a cost to install the 'gear' for the sign and there is no way a developer would want to spend that amount speculatively on an, as you suggest a very short term limit. Make the limit longer and it's de facto permanent.

No one is suggesting closure, but some people who have some professional expertise in and around the field are indicating that this isn't as simple as saying 'oh just build it, they will come'.
Old December 11th, 2019, 12:26 PM   #159
No Opinion

If the travelling viability Whey aye wheel circus packed up, left Newcastle in a cloud of frustration and attempted to pitch this in any other major city in the UK they would face EXACTLY the same hurdles.

I think the transgression of thought between your position Prostu- which I genuinely respect (there's far too much negativity in Newcastle and many other places, you right to challenge this in my view. You strike me as an optimist and its great to see believe me) is that you feel Newcastle is being undermined as a major city if we can't get development through, whereas I feel we are being reinforced as a major city by being able to throw out schemes like this.

Its tempting to want all proposed through, and get angry when it doesn't. But it's the reality of what is the very front end of the construction industry in that for every building that gets built, 30 don't make it. It's this natural selection that filters out dross and leaves us with cities we feel proud of and can admire.

Newcastle, although is a major cultural entity in the UK and known worldwide, is undergoverned and exposed to potential exploitation because people, companies, investors take advantage of our will to support our city and want it to continue to prosper. The single best example of this is Mike Ashley's slow deflating of Newcastle United. I can't help but think this illogical giant wheel is another such example.
Old December 11th, 2019, 03:55 PM   #160
prostu2

If i was investing in any project then i would not like to be in a situation where 2yr contracts and possible time slots were influencing viability issues.
The Whey Aye has been and still is, a project which has captured the north east publics aspirations. The creativity and uniqueness are very positive, the full project is a statement of intent from Newcastle, it gives the rest of the country a nudge and kind of says "hey were here".
This project has been a catalyst to expanded interest and surrounding development, our region has uniquely been put on the map. It is all to easy to attract student accommodation & possibly residential, but a Whey Aye is a one off chance that could differentiate our city status.
I personally feel it will be a betrayal to the publics hopes and attitudes, initially being authorised, then for a trivial element to jeopordise the full project.
I am liberal and open minded, whilst being positive towards the full development and proposal by WWC.
We look up at Picadilly Circus and appreciate, the same at M5 West Bromwich also other various locations.
The positives outweigh the negatives if too many negatives influence the outcome then the gearing is not as finely tuned, if a cog goes missing, the rest of the gearing is screwed up, resulting in a slow down, patchy, uncertain period. Best to keep a nice flowing motion, picking speed up along the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
big wheel, construction, newcastle, observation wheel, project, project - newcastle area, spillers, spillers mill, spillers wharf, tourism, wheel