Upper Precinct | Redevelopment | U/C. - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Coventry Developments

Coventry Developments Proposals and Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2019, 09:57 PM   #101
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Likes (Received): 1245

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluecity View Post
They'll always be those people. I suppose it depends what people are visiting the city centre for, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who loves shopping in Coventry, but there are attractions and leisure facilities people enjoy visiting, I know I do.

Now I work in the city centre, it is quite apparent how vibrant it is during the week. The students add a lot. Coventry feels a very youthful place when you visit, walk 100 yards and you'll hear half a dozen languages. It also seems so much busier on weekdays than I ever remember it. On on the down side, traffic is a nightmare, my commute is horrendous.

Critical though I am of the precinct proposals, they will still be a huge improvement. Little by little, step by step, the city is coming alive, but it will take a long time for perceptions to change, and many of the issues with the built environment aren't going away anytime soon.
Yeah, it's an improvement, but I can't help feeling we've had decades of 'improvements' that have ended up being torn out after a few years or just been abandoned. It almost feels as if they've been tiptoeing around it for years.

When I was a student back in the early 1990s Coventry was OK. Very busy and some great pubs. All a bit rough and ready but I had a great time.

I finish early on Fridays and nip into town for food and a mooch (Without kids!). It's usually fairly busy with students, and the restaurants seem busy as well in the evenings. Certainly a far cry from the days when your choice for a 'treat' when the parents came to visit was the Pagoda, Etna or a horrendous chain pub in the suburbs.

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2019, 02:59 PM   #102
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Likes (Received): 1245

It felt quite strange in the precinct today with all the trees gone. They've also started digging up the grass area outside HMV/Waterstones. Bits of the bridge that connect M&S to BHS have gone as well.

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2019, 06:24 PM   #103
Covguy

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
It felt quite strange in the precinct today with all the trees gone. They've also started digging up the grass area outside HMV/Waterstones. Bits of the bridge that connect M&S to BHS have gone as well.
I was in precinct today also and commented on how market way looked much better without the large trees. The place is much better for their removal..
Covguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2019, 09:41 PM   #104
kxv

Likes (Received): 29

Some really positive changes

Old December 8th, 2019, 05:27 PM   #105
CovAD

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
Suggested many times it'd be much better without them. There has to be a better alternative to add greenery in to such space without planting the trees that look fine as saplings but within a few years are way too big for the space as well as causing the problems like uneven paving, leaves everywhere etc.
Old December 8th, 2019, 09:39 PM   #106
We-Are-Borg-1987

Likes (Received): 184

I really like the photos showing the white sheets around Coventry Point as it gives some idea how the area will look when the towers have gone.

That raised grass area was always very random. Not exactly usable space, not landscaped enough to give a real feeling of 'nature' in the city centre. The corner buildings are very handsome, although there are some really ugly units along there e.g. by the milkshake bar. However, hopefully we will see lots of investment in these units like how Cathedral Lanes was redeveloped.
We-Are-Borg-1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 10:56 PM   #107
skybluecity

Likes (Received): 703

A lot of love for the canopies which I don't quite get:

https://twitter.com/AaronLaw92/statu...091574790?s=19
skybluecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 11:27 PM   #108
Covguy

I’m kind of mixed on the canopies, I can’t decide if it’s good or not.

Interesting from that twitter feed I didn’t realise the naiad is part of the landscaping,
Old December 10th, 2019, 11:27 AM   #109
We-Are-Borg-1987

Likes (Received): 184

I am in favour of removing the canopies as I feel it produces more 'clean' lines, so its more in keeping with the spirit of what the post-war architecture was trying to achieve. The two buildings on the corner of the Upper Precinct and Broadgate look pretty good to me and part of that is their symmetry and lack of clutter. Just with the removal of the trees, the removal of the canopies will massively enhance the key corner buildings.

There is an argument that maybe the canopies serve to 'frame' buildings, but for me they just hide features. I don't think they have much practical benefit either as they would have to be alot bigger to provide proper weather protection.

cyril sneer, Typhoon2000 liked this post
We-Are-Borg-1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2019, 12:37 AM   #110
Fernando Partridge

Likes (Received): 390

Quote:
A lot of love for the canopies which I don't quite get:

https://twitter.com/AaronLaw92/statu...091574790?s=19
That photo makes them look better than they are. I've not love for them though, I think they make the place feel dingy
Fernando Partridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2019, 08:12 PM   #111
kxv

MisterDae, We-Are-Borg-1987 liked this post
kxv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2019, 07:43 PM   #112
Dr Pepper

Likes (Received): 1734

CTSW1 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr
Old December 14th, 2019, 07:46 PM   #113
Dr Pepper

Likes (Received): 1734

CTUP1 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

CTUP2 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr
Old December 14th, 2019, 08:53 PM   #114
kxv

I wish they'd get rid of the Library> sign!
kxv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2019, 09:52 PM   #115
Palmeleon
Urbanomane

Likes (Received): 279

I quite like it!

danjames liked this post
Palmeleon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2019, 03:08 PM   #116
Covguy

Was in the precinct today. The whole entrance to west orchards will be big improvement. Just hope they get the landscaping right. The area outside Waterstones etc is also big improvement with that raised area gone. Said before the removal of over large trees is massive gain. But today I noticed with them gone there are hardly any pigeons.

Also saw the expanse created by the civic centre demolition. I know it won’t happen but this would be amazing as a city centre park. A proper area rather than these silly pocket parks.

MisterDae liked this post
Old December 16th, 2019, 11:55 AM   #117
Covguy

There was apparently a “funeral” held for the trees! I’m not against trees just not the massive ones that were there. That made it dingy and full of pigeon shit

Typhoon2000 liked this post
Old December 16th, 2019, 07:17 PM   #118
skybluecity

Likes (Received): 703

Gone

skybluecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2019, 07:52 PM   #119
Covguy

Quote:
Gone

Wow, this is really starting to make a big imoact
Old December 16th, 2019, 11:26 PM   #120
CovAD

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covguy View Post
Was in the precinct today. The whole entrance to west orchards will be big improvement. Just hope they get the landscaping right. The area outside Waterstones etc is also big improvement with that raised area gone. Said before the removal of over large trees is massive gain. But today I noticed with them gone there are hardly any pigeons.

Also saw the expanse created by the civic centre demolition. I know it won’t happen but this would be amazing as a city centre park. A proper area rather than these silly pocket parks.
I've mentioned a few times about how the trees add to the pigeon problem amongst many other issues when contacting the council.

Also with neighbours who complain about there being no parking outside the houses, the broken/uneven paving, how slippy it is at the moment with the decaying wet leaves and the bird crap on their cars when they have to park near a tree, but when I say get rid of the trees it's "but their good for the environment. But when I suggest why don't they replace a wall/fence with a hedge to replace them they're less keen.

jonnys liked this post
CovAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement