PRESTON | Full Summary of Projects - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction

Projects and Construction The latest news!

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 20th, 2005, 01:26 AM   #21
Preston_guy

Likes (Received): 6

I agree tommygunn, from past renders the new bus station will be mostly glass and state-of-the-art and apparently, we'll have more news from the county council soon! The new location is a big debate in itself! There is a small picture on the PDF of the Tithebarn Masterplan found at: http://www.preston.gov.uk/General.as...7FBA71&cat=767 Though this version is now outdated but as usual, we haven't been updated. Yet.

I respect your opinion NCN, and even I will be sad to see the bus station go in a way but it's become like a tumour that needs cutting off! If it's any help, it will probably get a mention in the Preston's History exhibit at the Harris Museum! It is a unique structure but I'm sure the new bus station will be a more pleasant place and give a more positive image of Preston to those travelling to it. Simply put, if the bus station didn't go I don't think Preston will ever earn an improved reputation which it needs and deserves. The Tithebarn scheme will receive criticism no doubt, that the buildings look dumb or bland or whatever, but it will act as a catalyst for further developments and the expansion of the city centre.
Preston_guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #22
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1784

It is unique. Why is it crap?
Its an eyesore and looks like a wound in the city centre.

No it doesn't. And if it did; you don't fix that by demolishing the building. You buy some bleach.
Fair point, but it would take a hell of a lot of bleach to clean the station floor, the cafe, all the shops, the stairways, the car park, the sky bridge and the subways!

In what way?
The seats are in adequate. The materials used in construction are materials that will soon begin to show decay, similar to the old Moor Lane flats. The council have already investigated the bus station over concerns about concrete cancer. They gave it the all clear this time. If the station had been showing signs of concrete cancer, they would have had to close it immediately. The departure/arrival screens are outdated. There is loads more as well.

It is not excessively large. There is plenty of space which is better than not having enough.
Except during peak hours, roughly only half of the bays are used. If you walked down the bus station end2end at say 12 noon, you would find that both ends are virtually empty. Only the middle bays are being used. This is especially bad on the county and national side where services are much less frequent.

True. Although there is no reason why the Tithebarn scheme couldn't adapt and update parts of the bus station if they wanted to.
The only way I could see the current bus station being implemented into the masterplan is by cutting it in half, then giving it a full refurbishment. And with the money that would cost, they may as well build a brand new one. The current bus station forms a wall right from the Holiday Inn to the Guild Centre. Cutting off nearly everything behind. Thats around half the masterplan.

Do you have any evidence of that? There are loads of cameras, security, and they are usually pretty busy. I've never seen anything dodgy (although I'm sure there probably have been incidents, as in many places)
Granted, the bus station security has been improved over recent years (and the car park is now the safest in Preston), but there are still incidents and muggings happening down in the subways, especially the one going across to Tithebarn Street.

How? By bring unique and memorable? Better than bland and forgettable surely.
Noooooo! By dirty and horrible! The new bus station is supposed to provide waiting space like in an airport terminal. That means more comfort while waiting for your buses and allowing better use of facilities. The new Lancaster bus station (although quite small) looks fantastic. The waiting areas are great and the bay doors are automatic, so nobody gets cold.

I think it is a pity Preston is going to lose one of its few unique, memorable, worthwhile buildings. Say what you want about they bus station, but it works!
I can think of several hundred buildings in Preston I would much rather keep than the bus station lol. True, it does work, but after hearing visitor accounts, it could be made a lot better!

The debate is pointless, because in all likelihood the bus station will go anyway, but I think it is a shame. If I was in charge of the scheme I would cut the bus waiting bays to just one side, add some more shops on the ground and possibly first floors and modernise the interior. Cutting the actual apron to just one side would make public access much easier - getting rid of the need for subways and allowing a new square to be built outside with new buildings on the other three sides (where the St' John's centre is now - a building that truely is crap; but unsurprisingly recieves no critisism because it is boring, bland and not noticed by people).
I agree, with a good job, the bus station could be made to look nice (I like the public square idea). But with the money it would cost, its probably cheaper to build a whole new one.

We'll have to wait and see as to whether they Grosvener project will be a worthy replacement. The council have made the mistake in the past of thinking new is always better. I just hope we don't get another Crystal House.
Dont worry. When the scheme will hopefully be finished by the 2012 Guild, you will be absolutely stunned. Preston will be one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the country. When you see the street fountains, the public square, the new state of the art library, the revamped markets, the new office buildings, the business improvement district (Church Street), the new residential quarter, and most of all the new bus station, you wont miss the old one
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #23
Accura4Matalan

Interesting link to a story about 3 of Preston's parks winning a green flag award:
http://www.preston.gov.uk/news/News....XBE6B-A7803C33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2005, 02:26 PM   #24
Accura4Matalan

The student halls at Maudland Bank are now complete. Crane gone.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 12:11 AM   #25
Accura4Matalan

Okay guys, I'm off to Toronto tomorrow morning so I wont get a chance to post here again for 2 weeks. Cya when I get back!
Old July 23rd, 2005, 01:30 AM   #26
Preston_guy

OK Accura, hope u have a great time, wish i was going back! I love the public transport network in Toronto because its integrated so well and you can get across the city in no time. We cud do with the same here! Bon voyage!
Old July 30th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #27
Preston_guy

OK, there's been a few things in the Evening Post over the last week or so regarding various projects in Preston so I'll give an overlook here. Some idiot who lives with me decided to bin the newspapers I'd kept together to do this so some of it is from memory!

There was quite a big article that was about Freedom of Information Act and the Tithebarn Materplan, which apparently, is officially just weeks away from being signed so we should have updates very soon. Basically, they were saying that the council and everyone involved with the project have been very secretive and much of this was unecessary. I think we can all relate to this! But as mentioned, there should be announcements made soon. It is quite frustrating to think the Tithebarn Project is already 2 years behind schedule before the deal has even been signed... Another shining example of our council's professionalism...

Next, there was an article about the possible (hopeful!) demolition of Canterbury Hall Social Club on Garstang Road (just in front of B&Q). It looks likely it will be demolished to make way for 15 flats and 1,338 square metres of office space. The buildings will be between 2 and 4 storeys and will be aimed at first-time buyers.

Lastly, an article featuring an interview with architect Charles Jencks regarding the Tithebarn Masterplan *again* He was absolutely right in saying the new buildings need to be sensitive to surrounding historical buildings in the city centre and that they need to be never seen before, striking, at the right price and of the right structure. He also said that the council needs to be strong and keep their nerve. Let's just hope they don't do anything stupid...
Old July 31st, 2005, 07:21 PM   #28
Prestonian

Likes (Received): 89

Thanks for the updates guys, have poor net access at the minute so irregular postings i'm afraid. Thanks for keeping things ticking over
Prestonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 11:41 PM   #29
Accura4Matalan

Thanks for the updates while I'm away Preston guy. I'm using my aunties computer at the moment so I cant come on reguarly. I'll be back proper on Sunday morning.
Good news on Tithebarn
Old August 6th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #30
Preston_guy

Old news but looking more fact than fiction... In today's LEP:
Beat Street Cafe Bar on Manchester Road is likely to be demolished and replaced with a four and five story building. There will be two shops on the ground floor and 18 one and two bedroom apartments with a private gym in the basement. The building will have a staggered pitched roof, zinc cladding and balconies to the apartments. The development will be close to another similar project and the new bus station. The idea is to attract more young professionals to the city.

Sounds good!
Old August 6th, 2005, 07:26 PM   #31
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 1825

shame they didnt just add em together and made a nine storey, lol...
Zinc cladding though, could work out nice..
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #32
Accura4Matalan

Thanks for that. Good news. Yet more apartments for that area.
BTW, I'm back in Preston now.
Old August 7th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #33
Accura4Matalan

Just been going over the planning applications from the past couple of weeks:
-Official planning application for Avenham Park Pavillion has been put in
-Application has been sent in to build 21 apartments on a former public house site (the Einstein Theory pub I assume) following demolition of existing building and car park
-Wow... it appears that this scheme will be built in phases. The above is just phase 1. Phase 2 is construction of 22 apartments incorporating a car park on the ground floor. This project could be reasonably big.

Just a note on the Avenham Pavillion application... this project isnt just going to be a small mere pavillion. It incorporates all kinds of things including a new coffee bar and event room.
Old August 8th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #34
Preston_guy

Welcome back Accura, how was Toronto? Good news about more apartments on Moor Lane and the new Pavilion. I hope it helps stage more successful music events. Did any of you go to that event where the Spice Girls performed on Avenham Park? That was massive! A real success. More recent offerings have been embarrassing disappointments.
Old August 8th, 2005, 05:21 PM   #35
Accura4Matalan

Good to hear that the concert was a success, unlike a certain International City Festival last year
Toronto was amazing yet again! (came back as a blonde though)

Coming back on the plane in the early hours was amazing. My window was facing north so I could see Preston and Blackpool really clearly on the approach. Absolutely spectacular at night!
Old August 9th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #36
Accura4Matalan

There is quite a few interesting little bits in tonights LEP:

First off is about D-day for the Dockland Waste Plant. So far, everybody has been against it except the Lancashire County Waste Department DESPITE the fact that building a waste plant there is against the Lancashire Structure Plan which is made by the county council themselves.
If they decide to go ahead with it, it would be very undemocratic.

Another is a new proposal by city councillors to make a quicker and more effective crackdown on eyesore homes in inner city areas and throughout the rest of Preston. At the moment, the councils yearly housing renewal target is 40 homes. It has now been revealed that it would take just under 30 years to complete this, so now the council wants to carry out the plans quicker.

The council have rejected plans for a marina in Lea. They claim that the construction would harm wildlife and also increase traffic in the area.

A new 4-storey building will be built on Market Street West containing apartments and shops. The site is currently vacant after a workshop was demolished.

Planning permission has been granted to an apartment development of 5 and 4 storey buildings on Manchester Road in the city centre on the site of a former cafe bar. The £2m development will include 16 luxury apartments, shops, and a private gym and beauty salon.
The development is next door to 2 similar developments and a warehouse conversion (apartments) development.

Mostly good news.
Old August 10th, 2005, 05:07 PM   #37
Accura4Matalan

LCC have been their usual undemocratic self, and gone ahead with the waste transfer plant. Out of the 15 planning committee members, just 1 lives in Preston.
**** THEM!!!
Old August 10th, 2005, 05:47 PM   #38
Preston_guy

I AM SO FURIOUS. I am writing a VERY heavily worded letter to those lame-assed bastards right now. What kind of f*ck-wits build a waste plant in an area planned to have a billion pounds worth of investment pumped into it in the near future? And seeing as one only lives in Preston that's just the sh*t on the cake. Bastards! Pardon my language lol
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:27 PM   #39
Accura4Matalan

I think the city council need to start throwing the 'unitary authority' word around lol.
Old August 11th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #40
Accura4Matalan

Updated planning statement for the Tithebarn Masterplan. Posted on preston.gov.uk a couple of days ago (PDF)
http://www.preston.gov.uk/Documents/...on%20draft.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
development summary, lancashire, north west england, preston