SkyscraperCity Forum banner

U/C | BRISBANE | Cross River Rail (Dutton Park to Bowen Hills via CBD)

836K views 6K replies 266 participants last post by  nathandavid88 
#1 ·
wow..!!

Brisbane CBD's new underground station revealed
TONY MOORE
July 13, 2010 - 12:19PM
Be the first to comment

Next stop: Albert Street
Tour the proposed new underground railway station at Albert Street in Brisbane CBD. Vision supplied by Queensland Government
Video feedbackVideo settings
The Brisbane CBD's new underground rail station will be on Albert Street.

Premier Anna Bligh is set to announce the new station - the city's first in 100 years - this afternoon.

The underground rail line will connect the south of the CBD with a new station at Woolloongabba and an expanded Roma Street station.

The new rail line would be constructed deep below the city streets.
It will then go towards the Exhibition Station, at Bowen Hills, which is set for a revamp.

The Albert Street station will have an entrance close to the Botanical Gardens and initial plans show it running under Albert Street for several city blocks to Elizabeth Street.

Ms Bligh said the favoured route would be a "game changer" for rail travel in Brisbane.

"A station in Albert Street will provide a link directly to the heart of the CBD and make travelling to popular destinations such as the Queen Street Mall, the Botanic Gardens and QUT Gardens Point a lot easier," Ms Bligh said.

"It will be part of a project that will move 120,000 people in the morning peak into and out of the city.

"That's the equivalent of a 30-lane motorway right through the city."

Brisbane's $8.2 billion Cross River Rail Project is designed to build a second river crossing for rail services running north to south.

The city' only current river crossing for trains, the Merivale Bridge at South Brisbane, will be over capacity by 2016.

The study team had been considering two other possible routes, under Edward Street to Central Station and under George Street to Roma Street.

But feedback from city workers, commuters, students and technical studies had put the Albert Street station ahead, Ms Bligh said.

"One of the most exciting features of the proposed new station is the potential for rejuvenation of the southern part of the CBD," she said.

"Just imagine it - below the surface is a bustling train station integrated with a mix of retail and other commercial activities.

"Above the surface is a new place for the people - a mix of shops, cafes and public space - the new must-visit destination for people travelling to the CBD."

Other new rail stations are planned for Woolloongabba - where the State Government recently sold the Sunmap Centre and Go Print site - and at the new Boggo Road Urban Village site. Commuters will be able to link to the South East and Eastern busways.

An underground station at Boggo Road would let commuters link with the existing Park Road rail station and the Boggo Road and Eastern busways.

The Federal Government is providing $20 million and the Queensland Government $5 million towards the current feasibility study into the underground network.

"We will continue to work with the Federal Government and the private sector to see this vital project delivered by 2016 when our studies show it will be needed," Ms Bligh said.

Private sector funding is necessary for the project.

A draft business case will be ready by the end of this year and by mid-2011, the business case and funding proposals will go to both the state and federal governments.

Construction is expected to take about four years.

The Queensland government has already earmarked $14.2 billion for the inner city rail project, including $8.2 billion for this cross-river rail project.

Representatives of the Valley Chamber of Commerce last week questioned Cross River Rail Project director Luke Franzmann on why the rail line would initially go to Fortitude Valley.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...00713-108l8.html?posted=sucessful#makeComment

#34 ·
On Woolloongabba, this station will still be the closest rail station to any Stadium in Queensland. Also, if you are usin g the station as a means for the station you may as well not build it at all, it is for the densification of the area. This will also make the new station very very close to the Mater Hospital.

#36 ·
the cross city rail (CCR) should probably have its own thread..

the GoPrint site is owned by the state govt and will be sold off for development.. putting a station there probably increases the value of the site and helps pay for the station. i guess it is the same story with the ekka station.

no chance that CCR could go to ferny grove.. it only returns to the surface at woolowin - so i guess it can only go to caboolture/shorncliffe/airport/doomben.

could CCR go to ipswich? it returns to the surface at yeerongpilly, so maybe it could cut across at tennyson??

#47 ·
Excellent idea about the safety glass on the platforms.
What I have seen indicates the doors will be spaced with provision for 4 doors per carriage, but that this will align with the current 2-door configuration - no idea whether they will have doors fitted but locked, or just not installed.

That gives you 36 doors per platform potentially if they go with 9-car trains, so that's some serious off-loading capacity.

#50 ·
a article today indicated they were looking at having portals to the stadium at various places across the CBD including QUT, QSM, Riverside and the Botanical Gardens...

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...rvice-all-cbd-20100713-1099x.html?autostart=1

Seems a little strange, by 'portal' im assuming the mean a entrance, but why would you have a tunnels running under the city like that, just adds to the cost rather unecessarily.

#54 ·
re: Albert Street station, it should have a 50+ level building on top of it, I know it's preliminary, but you'd hope for a better surface outcome than what's in that video given how scarce space in Brisbane's CBD is.

Regardless, having two major rail tunnelling projects could be beneficial to the whole country - all the manpower required to design, cost and ultimately manage is something we lack in this country.

#59 ·
re: Albert Street station, it should have a 50+ level building on top of it, I know it's preliminary, but you'd hope for a better surface outcome than what's in that video given how scarce space in Brisbane's CBD is.
Agreed. Thing is I can't even work out exactly where that site is? I mean Albert Street has large buildings along it for most of the way.

Anyone else have any idea?

Also something I find more exciting is the addition of underground platforms at Roma Street. This station will probably end up being the busiest in the city. Hopefully they will do up the rest of the station while they're at it.

#55 ·
How deep exactly is Vision Towers hole at the moment out of curiosity?

#57 ·
Let's get this straight, only 1 new location for a CBD station, the rest are duplicates/cross-overs at Roma St & Central.

Where are the stations for the public service precinct between Mary and Alice Sts along George and near the uni?

Where is the Eagle St station or there abouts around Charlotte and Elizabeth Sts?

Where is the station for Spring Hill beyond the gradient to access the existing Central station?

Why is Brisbane so damn set on making people walk a long way to train stations in the CBD? All this efficiency rubbish.

If it's good enough for Sydney and Melbourne to have proper rings of stations and even Perth has Perth, Underground, Esplanade, McIver etc further out, then why not for Brisbane?

A govt keen to look busy doing something but not enough.

#58 ·
^
you mean other than the fact that the Brisbane CBD is much smaller?

put a station at approximately the corner of albert and charlotte
-Qut: 500m away
-Eagle Street: 500m away
-Queen Street: 25m away
-Roma Street station: 900m away

this is not very far at all.

The distance between town hall-wynard 900m, the distance betweent wynard-circular key 900m: in other words, exactly what we're getting.

do you really only want 250m between stations, especially considering the length of the platforms?

#67 ·
Gabba expands skyward and downward

Skyscrapers up to 40 storeys high have been given the go-ahead to tower over Woolloongabba's new underground railway station, brisbanetimes.com.au can reveal.

The towers are a feature of the government's master plan for the Gabba precinct between Vulture and Stanley streets, which would see it become a transit-oriented residential and commercial hub.

Premier Anna Bligh said the proposal would allow for high-density living and commercial office space, with easy access to public transport and shopping and dining facilities, directly opposite the Gabba.

"This plan details an inner-city community of residential, retail, commercial, employment, recreation and community facilities, with unparalleled access to public transport and for pedestrians and cyclists,” she said today.

“It's a glimpse of the future for this part of inner city Brisbane.”

Under the proposal, the precinct would also house one of four new underground rail stations as part of the Cross River Rail project, to add transport options to the existing busway.

The 10-hectare site, one kilometre from the CBD, is currently home to the government's Go-Print and Lands Centre buildings.

The plan allows for a 40-storey tower to be built over the underground rail interchange, and 20- to 30-storey buildings on other parts of the site.

Construction could begin as early as 2012, with the final development scheme set to be approved next April.

Ms Bligh declared the site an "Urban Development Area” in April following the Queensland Growth Management Summit, which identified the need for more transit-oriented developments in Brisbane.

“This new Gabba Precinct is a prime example of that,” she said.

The precinct, bordered by Main, Vulture, Stanley and Allen streets, would also include a public park the size of Anzac Square, pedestrian boulevards, a plaza, restaurants, bars and cafes.

Infrastructure and Planning Minister Stirling Hinchliffe said new units would be geared towards middle-level income earners, like teachers, nurses and emergency services workers.

"The range of housing choice provided within the Woolloongabba UDA will respond to housing affordability pressures being faced by key workers employed in the Mater Hospital Precinct and nearby Brisbane CBD,” Mr Hinchliffe said.

"This will also be a great place for commercial businesses to be based.”

Urban Land Development Association CEO Paul Eagles said the metropolitan precinct would also benefit sports fans.

"With the Australian cricket team, the Queensland Bulls and of course the Brisbane Lions all playing matches at the Gabba, the local area is often awash with patrons looking for dining venues and entertainment before and after the big game," Mr Eagles said.

Although full development of the Gabba precinct was expected to take up to 20 years, the ULDA was expected to release the first parcel of land for development late next year.

The Woolloongabba Draft Structure Plan is now available for public comment through www.ulda.qld.gov.au.

via Brisbane Times Online

#70 ·
Have a look at it blown up on the link above, it says 40 stories.

What I dont get about this is how access will be maintained between the road that runs down from Kangaroo point and through onto the Freeway, it calls it up as a pedestrian access way. Is this road staying, are they sinking it?

Also it doesnt seem to have much regard for the busway, what is happening with this?

#75 ·
i get that the busway will be underground, but i can't see how the busses can exit for through routes.

it's also important to note this has just been sent out for public comment. cue the harpies.

i always knew you were potentially redeemable. and you know once the facade is cracked it's never the same. damaged goods.

I'll make sure to forward your post onto the party offices so they can cross you of their books.

#80 ·
Whinge whinge whinge there comes a point where criticism like what that guy writes gets you no where and is just not constructive, and he seems to write a LOT of things which are complaining about seemingly everything.

A really random question which people may not know, what program do they use to create that UDLA concept map posted above? Might be handy for one of my subjects this semester.

#86 ·
Thank you for the link to the BT article, disturbing to say the least for traffic arrangements, see the last pic in this gallery:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/pho...loongabba/20100719-10h1x.html?selectedImage=0

This is my response e-mailed to BT's comment section about 5 mins ago:

The plans in your photo gallery show an artist's impression that Leopard St, the critical link for cars on River Tce between Vulture and Stanley St being downgraded.

Drivers and locals alike will not be happy with this and I suggest it will happen over my dead body.

BT, please do a follow on this aspect of the plan, question the pollies, will Leopard St between Vulture and Stanley Sts be downgraded, hindering freeway access? Will any existing freeway access be hindered or downgraded? Ask these questions until you get a sufficient answer.

I await with interest, thank you for a great news source.

I also note the right turn from Vulture to Main St could be impacted/reduced capacity also, not happy.

Do whatever you like within the boundary of the site, but do not introduce new traffic lights in an already congested area.

Left-in/left-out accesses only, with traffic lights to be at Leopard St as is currently the case and for the busway to be modified at the 5 ways.