Downtown | 1WTC | 541m | 1776ft | 92 fl | Com - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > New York City > New York City Area Photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:15 AM   #121
CF221

Likes (Received): 815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willink View Post
Awesome, another 9/11 truther retard.

Let me explain how your interpretation of the picture is wrong in about thirty-five different ways.

Flight 77 impacted the Pentagon in the area shown, flying at over 500 mph at little over several feet of the ground (which we are well aware of given its appearance in security footage, manner in which damage was inflicted, and the fact the plane managed to clip several lamp posts and a transformer prior to hitting the building). Now, the Flight 77 Boeing 757-223 that hit the building was constructed largely of aluminum alloy's and composite materials which, given their light weight are used to limit the planes weight, providing maximum performance for its two high-bypass turbofans. The Pentagon, built in 1943 is constructed largely out of steel-reinforced concrete and brick, given the architectural methods of the time. Flying a largely lightweight alloy plane into reinforced concrete is not really the most effective of means of causing destruction, given the strength of concrete and its natural fireproofing nature (an effect you can illustrate by crushing a can into a concrete slab); however it is most certainly not built to prevent jet-fuel laden death traps from flying through them.

The picture you posted is not "never seen before" (it was actually published in several notable newsmagazines, as well as USA Today and local Washington D.C. newspapers), nor does it magically reveal the reality of the situation unless you have the cognizance of a squirrel. The picture fully illustrates the truth of the attack; you can obviously see the initial impact on the hull of the plane on the exterior ring wall, while the scorch marks along the aligned walls resulted from the wing impacts (aircraft wings being largely empty sans for controls for flaps and electrical systems powering the landing gear and winglets and wing lights), with the puncture points for the wing's leading edge being visible to the left most noticeably.

After the initial section of Flight 77 plowed through the first ring (taking less then a fraction of a second; the entire plane was disintegrated within under a second given the speed at which it was traveling), the midsection and tail continued to be propelled by the forward motion of the nose, piecing through the two following rings of the building, again within a fraction of a second (hell, the fire damage is clearly visible in this supposedly secret picture which, given the lack of information, or anything supplied with your interpretation is actually hurting your case), with burn damage continuing along the roofing from the enormous jet-fuel driven explosion that rocked the structure.

In one sense, you are correct - this pictures does allow you to see precisely what happened, and how said plane damaged the structure.
I think you owe this guy some respect, no matter if opinions are different. Take a deep breath. There are actually many, many more people than you think that believe this act was carried out by the government, and many more join each day. I don't know who was the "terrorist" in this attack. Up to today, for me, the real truth about 9/11 remains elusive and I don't expect it to appear anytime soon. I do know, however, that all hell has broken loose after this, and that instead of building bonds with other nations and fostering peace we as a nation have allowed or gov't to spread war and hatred based on cheap stereotypes and fueled by the media. I don't think we should worry about 9/11 anymore. I think we should instead care about fixing the gigantic mess we have and the problems we (and our government, primarily) have created. As for now, let's just return to "Freedom Tower."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #122
Tony Tv
BANNED

Likes (Received): 254

image hosted on flickr

Ground Zero - high res by [email protected] (张纯浩), on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Tower - in progress by [email protected] (张纯浩), on Flickr

Last edited by desertpunk; October 16th, 2013 at 05:38 AM.
Tony Tv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #123
FRANEK SD

Likes (Received): 211

I don't think so, New York is more than a building or in this case two, but of course the twin towers were a remarkable icon.
FRANEK SD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2010, 01:30 PM   #124
Tony Tv
BANNED

Likes (Received): 254

You are right, but the twin towers were a lot more than a few buildings. Would New York be New York without the statue of liberty? Should Paris be Paris without the Eiffel Tower? New York has a lot of symbols, but the ruined buildings were recognizable around the world!
Tony Tv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:24 AM   #125
Anton Dmitriev
Let's agree to disagree!

Likes (Received): 25

I can`t understand why do you not like this stinger(spire) on top of the tower!!! I think it will be looks good!!!=)
Anton Dmitriev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:16 PM   #126
kenersej
I love New York!

Likes (Received): 16

I can't wait to visit this beautiful tower!
I actually like the new WTC project, even though the old was better IMO.

kenersej no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:30 PM   #127
k25150

Likes (Received): 439

CF221,
"I don't know who was the "terrorist" in this attack. Up to today, for me, the real truth about 9/11 remains elusive and I don't expect it to appear anytime soon."

You're a ******* idiot!
k25150 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #128
Simfan34
Surprisingly optimistic!

Likes (Received): 3416

I wish the towers would taller- if not the tallest.

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Tower Rising by ty law, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Tower by ty law, on Flickr

freedom tower construction 1 by alsobrook528th, on Flickr

7/16/2010

World Trade Center progress, New York City by mudpig, on Flickr

World Trade Center, New York City by mudpig, on Flickr

Last edited by desertpunk; September 17th, 2014 at 04:49 AM.
Simfan34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #129
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 198

FREEDOM TOWER CONSTRUCTION.. by Scott Hudson, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Tower at Night, New York City, Manhattan, December 11, 2010. by NYC-Man, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tv View Post
You are right, but the twin towers were a lot more than a few buildings. Would New York be New York without the statue of liberty? Should Paris be Paris without the Eiffel Tower? New York has a lot of symbols, but the ruined buildings were recognizable around the world!
yes new york would be new york without the statue of liberty and paris would be paris without the eiffel tower, just diminished, but any real city is defined by its culture.

Last edited by desertpunk; December 18th, 2015 at 09:27 PM.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #130
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3412

Now ....quick, without a second to consider.......what city is this ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
those buildings were not generic skyscrapers that you could see on a hundred world city skylines...just hope the new does the same job...I wonder ? just time I guess? Loved this skyline...I really did !
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #131
CP Doom

Likes (Received): 44

Even without them, NY is still instantly recognisable as NY. The new ones could lend themselves a new persona for the city, tho I wouldnt wish the reason for their being on any city.
CP Doom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #132
LexISguy

Likes (Received): 216

The title has 2009 was that the original completion date?
LexISguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #133
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

I am sorry to inform you that the forum member that you all knew as Zensteeldude died from injuries sustained in an auto accident on April 20th, the day before his 49th birthday.

Know that his wife and three children are alive and well and coping with this tragedy as best they can. This is the LAST post from Zen. God bless us all.

Linda
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 11:57 PM   #134
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53963

R.I.P. Zensteeldude
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #135
WardNL

Likes (Received): 5

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Tower rising by Sam Loz, on Flickr

Last edited by desertpunk; October 16th, 2013 at 05:30 AM.
WardNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #136
Abbey Road

Likes (Received): 1

wonderfull project, certanly i´ll be there when everything is done.
Abbey Road no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:23 AM   #137
Samuel77

Likes (Received): 2208

I just dont get the dislike/criticism for this building and development. To me it is the perfect replacement for the WTCs. My only wish is that the building itself were a bit taller to make more of a "statement". It is an elegant design, far more than the originals. And a suitable replacement as a memorial. I just dont get how anyone cannot see the design as anything but a worthy replacement. The memorial grounds are also a great way to pay respect the the lost lives.
Samuel77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:25 AM   #138
Samuel77

Likes (Received): 2208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
I am sorry to inform you that the forum member that you all knew as Zensteeldude died from injuries sustained in an auto accident on April 20th, the day before his 49th birthday.

Know that his wife and three children are alive and well and coping with this tragedy as best they can. This is the LAST post from Zen. God bless us all.

Linda
That is really sad. If you ever read this Linda, I hope you and your family are keeping well and loved and supported.

RIP Zensteeldude.

Makes you realise the fragility of life.
Samuel77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 09:13 PM   #139
mpvt

Likes (Received): 0

RIP Zensteeldude, life really is to short for all of us.
mpvt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:37 PM   #140
kingsc

Likes (Received): 203

image hosted on flickr

FREEDOM TOWER / One World Trade Center Plaza - Lower Manhattan NYC - 01/17/11 by asterix611, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Tower Summer 2010 by Six Sigma Man, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

NYC Skyline - Financial District by Nidreas, on Flickr

Last edited by desertpunk; December 7th, 2013 at 04:06 AM.
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1 world trade center, 1wtc, daniel liebeskind, david childs, freedom tower, ground zero, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, panynj, port authority, silverstein, spire, the site