The Real Japan (with definitely never-before-seen photos) - Page 8 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Japan Forum 日本フォーラム > Skylines & Photography / スカイラインと写真

Skylines & Photography / スカイラインと写真 Pictures & Video of Japan / 都市の景観・自然 写真とビデオ

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:07 AM   #141
iemanja

Likes (Received): 0

I love Japan no matter what.
iemanja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2008, 02:55 AM   #142
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 502

In a way, I like the grimy look of cities like Tokyo (and Oslo and Rotterdam and Canberra). They are raw, real, and completely unpolished. It is a beautiful sight.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #143
armael
quì riposo,quì nonlavoro

Likes (Received): 718

I like Tokyo no matter what...hehehe...
I've never been in tokyo, but I am going to visit Japan for spring break, and I can't wait. I think Japan is a country of the future...
armael no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #144
CiudadanoDelMundo
Ahí vamos pa´lante

Likes (Received): 4

Incredible city, I gotta go there as soon as I can
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #145
Fern

Likes (Received): 2226

I cannot understand why so many people got riled up with riction, afterall he is only trying to show a side of the city few pay much attention to. In addition I think that the point he is trying to make is that urban planning in large Japanese cities is nothing to shout about. And lets face it most streets are way too narrow in relation to the high population density of the area. There's no pavements, parks or other basic infrastructure we take for granted in the west and that includes the grim suburbs of Paris or NYC.

Having said that Japan still fascinates me in so many ways. Besides being such a modern and developed country, on the forefront of so many technological developments, it boasts unique and rich culture, customs and cuisine that are unparalleled. Even those suburbs bear a certain charm I would love to experience.
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #146
Hunt

Likes (Received): 1

you cant judge a house by its architecture...even though they may look dirty(maybe caused by typhoons) they all have the same amenities as a house in America...sometimes even better appliances e.g. toilets.

Same thing applies to all the "commie-blocks" in Hong Kong. They may look bland but inside, theyre pretty decent.
Hunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 04:15 AM   #147
Jack Daniel
Wolf in sheep's clothing

Likes (Received): 966

Quote:
Originally Posted by riction View Post

It's not that bad!
Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite.
Jack Daniel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #148
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 319501

Incredible city - incredible country
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 08:43 AM   #149
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1625

I've only been to Narita... and I have to say.. your pics are great.
Can't wait til I go.
diz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #150
Caduceo
SAN LUIS POTOSI

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchjade View Post
Landmark Tower at Yokohama with sevety floors.
nice building
Caduceo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:53 PM   #151
diesterntaler

Likes (Received): 7

I know this is an old thread, but I just would like to add some comments

When I first read what the OP wrote, I thought I was about to see something REALLY bad (never seen before!)

Actually I've seen those never-before photos (well, not exactly at the same places) in japanese doramas and animes! I mean they were just typical tokyo neighbourhoods that u can watch in dozens of doramas and animes if you really are a japan fan!

What more can you expect from a land-scarce Tokyo with 35 million people within its metro area... which are often hit by earthquakes?

Maybe we can call it Real Tokyo if you wish (what is unreal Tokyo? Idk) but not Real Japan because most of the pics were taken there. The 'Real' Japan has a lot more to offer than what were potrayed in this thread.

Anyway, these pics only confirm my assumptions (yes, I've never been to Tokyo, unfortunately ) that japanese cities are clean
diesterntaler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:43 PM   #152
Fox-Tale

Likes (Received): 10

Like it or not, Mr. riction is showing a true facet of Japanese cities.
Those are very common and ordinary scenes seen in many big cities of Japan.
What he says is correct.

After the WWII those cities didn't have time or money to do landscape planning while rising from the ashes..with those major cities bombered and burned to the ground during the war.

However, if you are fed up with those "chaotic" city views, you can still see traditional houses and buildings in harmony in rural towns/villages of Japan. Real good scenery of Japan exists only outside urban areas...

Last edited by Fox-Tale; November 3rd, 2008 at 05:50 PM.
Fox-Tale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #153
NZer

Likes (Received): 24

Well, riction, it seems that a lot of people who have posted in this thread are either stupid, or they cannot read.

I understand what you were trying to do, you were simply trying to show us a real picture of Tokyo, not the worst impression of Tokyo.

I want to visit Japan next year, and seeing this thread has only increased my desire to visit, because it shows once more just how immense Tokyo is, and I want to explore it for myself.
NZer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #154
briker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 93

all asian cities look like that. Here in Seoul it's no different: glitzy new 'western style' urban centres vs old 'modern eclectic asian' architecture. One also has to understand that space is very prime in these overpopulated cities. Practicality is of more importance than estatics. This is changing however as asian cities are taking the environment more into consideration.
briker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 02:18 AM   #155
jcom
Antiguo+Moderno = México

Hi. Every place and city had places ugly, bad or beautiful or nice. Here in Mexico is equal, there are cities with places nice and ugly so its our world !!!!

http://www.panoramio.com/user/1740480

Old April 19th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #156
soninikhil08

unable to see images?
soninikhil08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: