JAPAN 2013 by quashlo | 梅雨入り前の一人旅 - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Japan Forum 日本フォーラム > Skylines & Photography / スカイラインと写真

Skylines & Photography / スカイラインと写真 Pictures & Video of Japan / 都市の景観・自然 写真とビデオ

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #41
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3227

This is the main street, showing the streetwall of old storehouses. I was really disappointed with most of these photos… With the rain pouring though, I really did not have much chance to fuss with the camera settings like I normally do.
image hosted on flickr

On a small alley off the main street is this temple, Chōki-in (長喜院), originally established in the latter days of the Kamakura period in 1550.
image hosted on flickr

Another beautiful old building for Yamawa Club (やまわ蔵部), apparently a hands-on pottery studio for beginners.
image hosted on flickr

Another side street, this is Kanetsuki-dōri (鐘つき通り)…
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Co-Edo Loop Bus, one of many shuttle bus services I would encounter on my trip… I generally prefer walking, and while I didn't use this service (even with the rain), I did use similar ones in other cities I visited, as they are pretty convenient and stop at most of the famous tourist sights.
image hosted on flickr
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #42
quashlo

If you turn east after reaching 札の辻 (Fuda no Tsuji), the northern end of the main street, and continue about 0.5 km, you will reach the palace of the inner citadel of Kawagoe Castle (川越城本丸御殿). I wasn't originally planning on visiting this place, but decided to just for the heck of it to get out of rhe rain for a few minutes.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Equario liked this post
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #43
quashlo

The 100 best castles of Japan… I didn't even know Hachiōji (#22) had a castle.
image hosted on flickr

#69 ("Demon's Castle" 鬼ノ城) definitely has me interested…
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The nearby Miyoshino Jinja (三芳野神社)…
image hosted on flickr

On the opposite side of the street is also the Kawagoe City Art Museum (川越市立美術館). In hindsight, I probably should have also stopped here for a bit given the weather.
image hosted on flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #44
quashlo

Heading back to the main street…
image hosted on flickr

For many, the rain doesn't mean forgoing the bike ride… Just riding with an umbrella.
image hosted on flickr

Some of the ruins of the castle walls…
image hosted on flickr

This segment of road has some painted bike lanes, I'm guessing because there's a lot of schools in this area. Also of interest is an EV charging station at left.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I decided to do a quick tour of Kanetsuki-dōri (鐘つき通り)…
image hosted on flickr

The main feature of this street is the Toki no Kane 時の鐘, a historic clock tower for the castle town. The original was built in the early 1600s, but this one dates to 1894 after being destroyed in a fire.
image hosted on flickr

I tend to think of Kawagoe as more of a domestic tourist destination, but I did overhear some Korean from the group wearing blue and yellow ponchos.
image hosted on flickr
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #45
quashlo

I found some really nice smells coming from one restaurant that specializes in chicken dishes, so it was time for lunch… First, a small bottle of plum wine (梅ワイン):
image hosted on flickr

The restaurant was all zashiki 座敷 (Japanese-style seating)… My table faced a small pond and landscaped garden. There were other parties next to me, but I had an entire booth to myself, so it was a nice respite from the rain.
image hosted on flickr

What I ordered: 鳥ももの炭火焼風釜飯, kettle-cooked rice with chicken thigh meat, charcoal grilled-style (and with plenty of mushrooms )
image hosted on flickr

The most enjoyable part of kama-meshi, the o-koge (お焦げ), or the slightly burned parts of the rice.
image hosted on flickr

The restaurant:
image hosted on flickr

PiotrG, Equario liked this post
Old June 10th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #46
inefekt

Likes (Received): 3959

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post

As you can see, it was only a little past 10:00 when I got past Customs and down to the Keikyū station, which should leave quite a bit of time to get to wherever your hotel is.
image hosted on flickr
Brilliant stuff, the master returns

Can you tell me what time your plane landed and how long it took you to get through customs?
My plane lands around 10.30pm at Haneda so I'm worried about missing that last train/shuttle bus to Shinjuku. Cheers
inefekt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #47
Northridge

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Marunouchi Line train glides by beneath it all…
image hosted on flickr
I see you wasn't as lucky as last time. Too bad it was a Saturday.
Great report, looking forward to more.
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #48
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 16535

Thanks for another nice thread
Quote:
I originally had planned what was to be a fantastic Saturday of hiking up on Mt. Takao and visiting some of Tōkyō's larger parks, but the weather forecasts from the night before showed that Mother Nature was not going to be cooperative. A bit of a shame, since Friday was actually a nice day in the metropolis.
I wouldn't trust weather forecasts in Tokyo during the summer..it pretty much says the rain chance is high everyday. The best is to install a radar app and look at it yourself.
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #49
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 3226

Quote:

Did you come to Kofu?
that place where you took a pics was from my backyard.
why did not you contact me?
castermaild55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #50
quashlo

Thanks for comments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt View Post
Can you tell me what time your plane landed and how long it took you to get through customs?
My plane lands around 10.30pm at Haneda so I'm worried about missing that last train/shuttle bus to Shinjuku. Cheers
Actually, my plane was scheduled to land at 10:20 PM, but we got in earlier… I don’t remember what time we pulled into the gate (I believe late in the 9:00 hour), but customs plus baggage claim couldn’t have taken more than 20-30 minutes or so.

There’s quite a few late night express bus departures for Shinjuku (22:55, 23:10, 23:20, 23:30, and 24:00), though, so I wouldn’t be worried. You should be fine with the train as well, but the bus may be a better option since it’s a one-seat ride, and you (theoretically) won’t have to lug your luggage around too much, depending on where your hotel is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northridge View Post
I see you wasn't as lucky as last time. Too bad it was a Saturday.
Well, to be honest, I wasn’t looking to get as many trains in one picture as possible. I was standing on the bridge for maybe 1-2 minutes… I think if I had waited a bit longer, I could have gotten more trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo View Post
I wouldn't trust weather forecasts in Tokyo during the summer..it pretty much says the rain chance is high everyday. The best is to install a radar app and look at it yourself.
Yeah, I was kind of hoping the forecasts would be off and it wouldn’t actually rain… The early morning was fine, but once I got to Kawagoe, it really started to pour, and didn’t let up all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castermaild55 View Post
Did you come to Kofu?
that place where you took a pics was from my backyard.
why did not you contact me?
Yeah, I noticed your Yamanashi thread, where a lot of the scenes looked familiar.
Anyways, I usually travel alone… ご迷惑はかけたくなかったのでごめんなさい。
Old June 11th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #51
PiotrG
青春ブタ野郎

quashlo, domou ariagtou! I really enjoyed your photos, and, of course, I'm waiting for more.
PiotrG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #52
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 508

Surprised by the pic of the dragonfly, didn't know they were active so early in the year (perhaps the southern location is the reason).
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #53
quashlo

You might be right... I hardly kept track, but I don't seem to remember many bug encounters in Hokkaidō, but had plenty south of Hokkaidō.
Old June 11th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #54
quashlo

Thanks for all the comments... Here's the next installment.

Time to head back in the direction of the station…
image hosted on flickr

With the weather being what it was, I didn't quite feel like I had gotten a good taste of Kawagoe… On the way back, I spotted a sign pointing to a couple more landmarks a few hundred meters to the east of 大正浪漫夢通り, so I decided to take a short detour by:

I followed this road east for a bit, keeping an eye out for signs directing me to the two places I wanted to visit…
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The first stop was Narita-san Kawagoe Betsuin 成田山川越別院, a branch temple of the famous Narita-san Shinshō-ji Temple (成田山新勝寺) in Narita City, Chiba. I was also surprised to see two American women visiting here... They were waiting for the bus outside the temple.
image hosted on flickr

As you can probably guess from the appearance, it's not an old temple by any means (built in 1853), although there is a cute turtle pond off to the right side.
image hosted on flickr

The other sight I wanted to visit is another temple, adjacent to this one: Kita-in (喜多院), an Important Cultural Property famous for its beautiful garden and statues of 500 arhats (五百羅漢)…
image hosted on flickr

Unfortunately, I didn't feel like taking many pictures… The arhat statues were actually outdoors (I was expecting something indoors and was slightly disappointed).
image hosted on flickr
Old June 11th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #55
quashlo

The other event that caught my eye on Tōkyō Walker was the Thai Festival in Yoyogi Park, since I wanted to get a small taste of multiculturalism in the metropolis. About one hour on the Kawagoe Line and Saikyō Line and we are back in central Tōkyō. I decided to get off Shibuya and take the long one way around to Yoyogi Park via the NHK studios instead of getting off at Harajuku. Shibuya is still ridiculously busy in the rain, but it's a bit of a different experience, having to dodge all the umbrellas at the scramble intersection and along Center Street (センター街)...

I was also surprised by all the people at the Thai Festival... I was definitely not expecting the kind of turnout there was. Of course, maybe 75% of the stalls were for Thai food (which is fine by me ) and most of the people attending were all younger generation, including plenty of ギャル types that looked like they had strolled in from Shibuya and Harajuku. My knowledge of Thai influence in Japan is limited to Thai curry and cuisine and muay thai / kickboxing, but was still surprised at all the people attending. Of course, there were also some Thai folks (most of them looked like students).
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I was very tempted to get some food from one of the booths, but to be honest, I can get awesome Thai food whenever I want back home, and seeing how crowded the tables were, I passed.
image hosted on flickr

We bid farewell to the festival and head back to the station…
image hosted on flickr
Old June 11th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #56
quashlo

My itinerary required that I be back at Tōkyō Station, so it was back to the metropolis' historical central terminal… They had one part of the station near the Marunouchi side set aside for a display about the recently-signed sister-station agreement with New York's Grand Central. Nothing says Japanese railway efficiency like 29 platforms, 46 tracks, 110,000 daily boardings, and 700 scheduled trains for Grand Central vs. 11 platforms, 22 tracks, 380,000 daily boardings, and 4,000 scheduled trains for Tōkyō.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Some parting shots of the restored South Dome… Eight eagles circle the upper part of the dome.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The lower half of the rotunda holds circular panel reliefs for eight of the animals of the Chinese zodiac (eto 干支). There was some mystery as to why there were only eight reliefs, since the Chinese zodiac is a 12-year cycle, but the secrets were finally revealed a few months ago when they found the reliefs of the other four zodiac animals at another Important Cultural Property way down south in Saga Prefecture, the 武雄温泉楼門 (Takeo Onsen Tower Gate). The architect responsible for both buildings was Tatsuno Kingo (辰野金吾), a native of Saga Prefecture and one of the more famous modern-era Japanese architects, so it's likely this was just some artistic license his on part.
image hosted on flickr

It was getting time for dinner, and as usual, the ekinaka-type spots beneath Tōkyō Station were packed, with lines out the door at many places. I decided to try looking around in some of the adjacent office buildings like Oazo to find a place to eat before signs for the new Kitte mall at the JP Tower lured me in that direction. The tower, built on the site of the former Tōkyō Central Post Office, was still under construction during my last visit, but was completed in May 2012, with Kitte following in March of this year. The underground entrance into Kitte from Tōkyō Station is incredibly expansive and squeaky clean, so it's impossible to miss.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I didn't get any pictures inside the mall, but it felt ridiculously huge, with a giant, airy open space in the center. Most of the higher-end restaurants are clustered on the top two floors (5F and 6F), but there is also a large selection of additional eateries on B1F. As I typically do, I spent about 10-15 minutes doing a quick circle around to see what catches my eye. Some of the more obscure dishes of Japanese cuisine being difficult to find outside of Japan, I usually try to go for stuff I've never had before, and one place (本家あべや) specialized in dishes using Hinai-jidori (比内地鶏), a breed of chicken native to northern Akita Prefecture and considered among the three best chicken breeds in Japan alongside the Nagoya Cochin (名古屋コーチン) from Aichi and the Satsuma-jidori (薩摩地鶏) from Kagoshima. Supposedly, it's the only breed to have its roots entirely in Japan, from the Jōmon era (the other breeds were brought in from mainland Asia via China and Korea). In particular, this joint offered a kiritanpo-nabe (きりたんぽ鍋), a type of stew locally popular in Akita Prefecture featuring rice that is formed into a cylindrical shape like a bamboo stalk, then sliced and placed into a stock derived from the chicken along with some mushrooms and other veggies.
image hosted on flickr

After a satisfying meal, we bid farewell to Kitte. There were a lot of good-looking restaurants, though, and I suspect I may find myself back here on another trip.
image hosted on flickr

k.k.jetcar, Equario liked this post
Old June 11th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #57
quashlo

The JP Tower complex, with the giant floorplate typical of Japanese skyscrapers:
image hosted on flickr

Kitte occupies the podium section of the tower.
image hosted on flickr

Shin-Marunouchi Building (新丸ビル):
image hosted on flickr

Marunouchi Building (丸の内ビルディング) at right and Mitsubishi Building (三菱ビル) at left:
image hosted on flickr

Some night-time shots of the Marunouchi Station Building:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Equario liked this post
Old June 11th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #58
quashlo

Time to pick up the luggage from the porter, reserve our train at the Midori no Madoguchi, and head up to the platform… Our journey this evening would take us around 600 km north to Aomori, so it was up to the Tōhoku Shinkansen platforms. Peering across to the Tōkaidō Shinkansen platforms:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A double-decker E4 series on Platform 22:
image hosted on flickr

Our train arrives and releases its passengers…
image hosted on flickr

E6 series Super Komachi for the Akita Shinkansen:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Officially, our train is a 17-car E5 + E6 formation, Hayabusa 19 for Shin-Aomori and Super Komachi 19 for Akita. This was the last train of the day for Aomori, departing Tōkyō at 20:08, arriving at Shin-Aomori at 23:36, and, thankfully, there aren't restrictions on the Hayabusa for JR Pass holders like there are on the Nozomi and Mizuho.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old June 11th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #59
quashlo

This was actually my first time inside an E5. I would have also walked the E6 if it was possible, but you can't actually pass between the two trains… You have to get on / off at the stations.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A short nap and we're stopped at Sendai:
image hosted on flickr

Another tour of some of the other cars:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Northridge, čđđeůx, ukiyo, Equario liked this post