BRISBANE: General public transport thread - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #81
SM247
Citadis Rider

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninbrisbane View Post
I'm fairly certain not too long ago the gov't decided they would not run passenger services on that railway.
The conclusion was only that a service was not presently warranted. I don't think that conclusion is especially well-founded, but I agree with their statements that they need to spend serious money on the corridor to do anything at all.

The Mt Lindesay area studies identify the line as a future requirement, just not for several decades.
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #82
Gazza2

Likes (Received): 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninbrisbane View Post
I'm fairly certain not too long ago the gov't decided they would not run passenger services on that railway.
But at that point had the new city at Flagstone been announced?
Gazza2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #83
beastjim
Maglev Believer

Likes (Received): 3

Flagstone is hardly a new idea, its been in planning for around 5-10 years I believe, indeed there is already a decent population around. Passenger services will eventually happen on the interstate standard gauge line, the populations planned for the entire corridor from Flagstone all the way down to Bromelton will ensure that something will get done, unless they are planning for the Mt Lindsay Highway to be 8 lanes each way. However there is a good chance they will want to completely gold plate it, and go for 4 lines (2 standard gauge freight lines and 2 narrow gauge electric passenger lines)
'eat something greasy and have a wank'.
beastjim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #84
vorky

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastjim View Post
Flagstone is hardly a new idea, its been in planning for around 5-10 years I believe, indeed there is already a decent population around. Passenger services will eventually happen on the interstate standard gauge line, the populations planned for the entire corridor from Flagstone all the way down to Bromelton will ensure that something will get done, unless they are planning for the Mt Lindsay Highway to be 8 lanes each way. However there is a good chance they will want to completely gold plate it, and go for 4 lines (2 standard gauge freight lines and 2 narrow gauge electric passenger lines)
Dual gauging the current line seems to be the direction they are taking for the time being. Greenbank loop has been done already.
vorky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #85
crazyknightsfan
derp

Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Likes (Received): 2181

The dual gauging is for freight services.
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 02:15 AM   #86
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyknightsfan View Post
The dual gauging is for freight services.
Any idea where the dual gauge will run to? Is it just to the site of a new freight terminal or further on?
joninbrisbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 02:17 AM   #87
crazyknightsfan
derp

Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Likes (Received): 2181

^ Bromelton intermodal terminal.
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:28 AM   #88
Fyver

Likes (Received): 754

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastjim View Post
Flagstone is hardly a new idea, its been in planning for around 5-10 years I believe, indeed there is already a decent population around.
I've seen official documents dated 1997, and the line has been proposed for passenger services for longer than I've been alive, 30+ years. Mum and dad bought a house in 1978 and it mentions the rail in the documents, I'd love to dig those documents up but dad says he can't find them anymore.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are not those of my employer, its subsidiaries, clients and partners, not necessarily mine, probably not necessary, and don't intentionally mean to kill the fun.
Fyver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 09:39 AM   #89
Redress

Likes (Received): 42

Thumbs up Milton Ferry

Planning for Ferry at Park Rd, Milton underway

http://westside-news.whereilive.com....-ferry-all-go/
Redress no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 03:16 AM   #90
yuma

Likes (Received): 7

About time this happens, hopefully they do more than just planning though.
yuma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:49 PM   #91
Map Born

Likes (Received): 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redress View Post
Planning for Ferry at Park Rd, Milton underway

That's great, however express ferry services need to be implemented. If you travel from an outer stop to the city, there are many stops which could be skipped to provide a faster, express service.

With pre-paid electronic ticketing becoming more prevalent (and mandatory from next yr), there should be reams of data on destinations to see who uses what stops and where from.

There is also many stops where a City Cat meets with the older City Ferry. These could be pared back too so there was limited cross over at only the terminals in demand or the ones at either end of the short City Ferry route.
Map Born no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #92
Trawler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Born View Post
That's great, however express ferry services need to be implemented.
Express CityCat services have been running for months.
Trawler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #93
SM247
Citadis Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawler View Post
Express CityCat services have been running for months.
Well, only 3 a day on weekdays - all from Apollo Road to Riverside running express from Hawthorne and all before 8:30am. That is only to separate passenger volumes at the inner and outer stops where they are virtually all going to Riverside.
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #94
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 289

Personally, I hope they make the ferries all prepaid sooner rather than later. It's not like that many people buy paper tickets during the week, and ticket machines could easily be accommodated at each of the ferry terminals. The only ones which might have some difficulty finding space for them are the old cityferry terminals, such as River Plaza or South Bank 3, and QUT Gardens Point despirately needs to be upgraded.
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #95
Gazza2

Likes (Received): 191

Quote:
The only ones which might have some difficulty finding space for them are the old cityferry terminals, such as River Plaza or South Bank 3, and QUT Gardens Point despirately needs to be upgraded.
Do they have to be on the pontoon though? You could put them on terra firma near the terminal right?
Gazza2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 06:12 AM   #96
SM247
Citadis Rider

Given that each CityCat has to have at least 2 crew (master and deck-hand), I don't think there is a huge problem with selling limited life go cards on board to the tourists and few locals that would need them, or doing top-ups. Once paper ticketing is gone, maybe they can look at combining the deck hand and ticket-seller roles, as demand will be much lower. Either way, there will be at least one person roaming the boat with nothing to do except stand on the master's cabin stairs and chat to the ferry master, so may as well have them looking after passengers.

You don't need to pay while the ferry is docked, so you can load pax up and head off while still attending to people who need to pay, as happens now. Much easier than having ticket machines in a riparian environment all day long with only limited purchases being made from each one.

I would say the only terminals whose passenger loadings warrant a machine are Riverside (which already has a staffed kiosk that could be adapted to that purpose) and South Bank 1/2.
Old June 25th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #97
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 289

I would say that you could easily put ticket machines in at Bulimba, Hawthorne, Riverside, QUT Gardens Point, South Bank 1 & 2, North Quay, Regatta, Guyatt Park, West End and UQ. All of these stops would have the patronage to service the machines and would also be good from a convenience perspective, where students or office workers may be getting on late at night, and have no credit on their cards, and no newagents are open or around the area. Plus, it would ease the line ups getting aboard and make it less necessary for ticket inspectors to come on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza2
Do they have to be on the pontoon though? You could put them on terra firma near the terminal right?
Well yeah, they'd have to be on land (you're not supposed to go right down to the pontoon until after the ferry has docked. But at those stops, there is little shelter for which the ticket machine could be put in (unlike stops like West End, Hawthorne or Bulimba, which have significantly sized buildings they could be put in.
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #98
SM247
Citadis Rider

The new TransLink (dis)Track(t)er was released today. Woefully useless information. They need to realise that without disclosing the specific timeliness for every route on the network (or at least for each operator or sub-region), the figures are meaningless.
Old June 26th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #99
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

For those without GO Cards, you should buy The Courier Mail next Tuesday as there will be a token for you to get a free GO Card with $10 credit included.

There will be 400 000 as part of the promotion.

If you already have one, you cannot get one.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 03:24 AM   #100
Levathian
Dance again

Likes (Received): 1545

What if we lie and say we don't have one?
Levathian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
brisbane, busway, ferry, maglev bus to caboolture, mandurahboyz, queensland, rail, trains, transport, underground