BERLIN | City Palace Reconstruction (Stadtschloss) - "Humboldt-Forum" | U/C - Page 151 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2019, 12:14 AM   #3001
Sauter

Likes (Received): 1090

Is any of the interiors going to be reconstructed?
Sauter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2019, 05:55 AM   #3002
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 931

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogoBaptista View Post
I agree, it was disrespectful and immature, this is not a building battle.
He's comparing multi-use skyscrapers to a museum and reconstruction. It's not even apples to oranges.

DiogoBaptista liked this post
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2019, 11:08 PM   #3003
JohnDee
In the brig

Likes (Received): 406

They should do something like this in NYC with Penn Station. That was a crime.

DiogoBaptista, Mainyehc, robertwood liked this post
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2019, 11:58 PM   #3004
Death NoVa
Hell's Architect

Likes (Received): 1490

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDee View Post
They should do something like this in NYC with Penn Station. That was a crime.
weren't there talks about reconstructing it recently?
Old September 3rd, 2019, 12:28 PM   #3005
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 4421

New photo update by dubaibobby:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaibobby View Post
Impressionen vom Wochenende

meine
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2019, 01:09 PM   #3006
Grimace

Likes (Received): 6

Amazing and absolutely marvellous looking building.

I wouldn't worry about modernist facade it will probably be replaced by the new generation.

MisterDae, DiogoBaptista, DarkLite liked this post
Grimace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2019, 03:34 PM   #3007
Architecture lover
Purple.

Likes (Received): 4709

Replaced with what? What was originally there looked rather messy compared to the rest of the palace, I actually think they went with the best possible solution when they've decided to go with minimalism, it allows the palace to be what it's meant to be without trying to outshine her in any way.

The whole building looks like massive quality, even the minimalist part - the Humboldt Forum inscription looks like a subtle decoration on it.

I would've liked for the minimalist part to be covered with sandstone similar to the palace, for instance this building:

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showp...18&postcount=3

uses that kind of sandstone and interacts greatly with what seems to be a very Spanish historic surrounding. The Latin (Times New Roman) inscriptions and numerals in the simplistic stone are everything.

RudNuon, DanielG! liked this post
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2019, 01:50 AM   #3008
RegentHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death NoVa View Post
weren't there talks about reconstructing it recently?
Visions, yes. But the closest has been rehabiltating the adjacent post office by the same architect as an extention, and not reneweing MSG's lease with long-term prospects that it will remain in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
Replaced with what? What was originally there looked rather messy compared to the rest of the palace, I actually think they went with the best possible solution when they've decided to go with minimalism, it allows the palace to be what it's meant to be without trying to outshine her in any way.
My concern, which is frankly humorous, is the surviving original portion of the palace exists intact, moved by the communists steps away.

The oldest portions not being reconstructed included a church, so you can see how in today's policitically correct Eurabia why it wasn't, especially as it relates to the debate over reconstruction even in its current form.

Jo, tallmark liked this post
Old September 5th, 2019, 09:28 AM   #3009
Grimace

Likes (Received): 6

Replaced with what, you may ask?

Anybody can see that one quarter of the building is a completely different style than the rest of it. That is obvious to even your average Joe Blogs. Let's see which part of the building will be photographed most which will rest my argument. I am willing to bet 99% of people will be taking photos of the reconstructed parts and not of the modernist generic side. And that is the entire point to a facade, not only to keep the roof from falling in.

Taking that into account, I'm betting future generations will remove the ugly Spree side and replace it with something decent. Something that aesthetically fits in the context. Something that is worthwhile looking from the a boat on the river.

I'm very grateful they reconstructed the palace and I'm willing to accept the modernist facade but only because I have faith it will be replaced eventually.

MisterDae, tallmark liked this post
Grimace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2019, 09:41 PM   #3010
Architecture lover
Purple.

What people fail to understand is that - originally that side was never a part of the 'Baroque' Schloss, it looked like a separate pile of buildings which were all built separably in different epochs (wasn't that the case?).
Yes they might've go with reconstructing that side intact as it was (I wouldn't mind that at all), but truth is, it was never in context with the actual palace.

@RegentHouse You even dare say, they didn't rebuild it because of the church? Apparently churches are now forbidden? Do you even read yourself? Isn't there gonna be a golden cross towering the dome? You're ridiculous with such statements.
Have no idea where you're from but people in Europe went thru centuries of trying to distance themselves from that vile institution called the church.
Trust me, we've had our reasons. Yet I don't mind that cross that's going to be placed on top of it all. Couldn't care less.

Source

Source
Old September 6th, 2019, 01:58 AM   #3011
RegentHouse

Quote:
@RegentHouse You even dare say, they didn't rebuild it because of the church? Apparently churches are now forbidden? Do you even read yourself? Isn't there gonna be a golden cross towering the dome? You're ridiculous with such statements.
Have no idea where you're from but people in Europe went thru centuries of trying to distance themselves from that vile institution called the church.
Trust me, we've had our reasons. Yet I don't mind that cross that's going to be placed on top of it all. Couldn't care less.
I believe you answered your own questions calling an insitutution which has been the backbone of Western society as "vile." Couldn't care less.

DarkLite, tallmark liked this post
Old September 6th, 2019, 05:37 AM   #3012
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 7653

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegentHouse View Post
The oldest portions not being reconstructed included a church, so you can see how in today's policitically correct Eurabia why it wasn't, especially as it relates to the debate over reconstruction even in its current form.
Your narrative has one tiny flaw, why does "politically correct Eurabia" reconstruct the dome with a huge, golden Christian cross carried by angels?

And why is there a Bible quote in giant golden letters on bright blue background running around the dome?

Image source by Fusajiro: https://baukultur-forum.bz/forum/ind...896#post313896
Old September 6th, 2019, 05:07 PM   #3013
MisterDae

Likes (Received): 422

Reconstructing an eclectic mix of random add ons would have been pointless. They were later additions and therefore not relevant to the constitution of the original building. I would have favoured leaving that facade missing and having an open courtyard facing the river. Or just continuing the baroque facade around to the river side.
Architecture has its political Use; publick Buildings being the Ornament of a Country; it establishes a Nation, draws People and Commerce; makes the People love their native Country, which Passion is the Original of all great Actions in a Common-wealth.... Architecture aims at Eternity
-Christopher Wren
MisterDae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2019, 05:12 PM   #3014
Darryl

Likes (Received): 540

Leaving it open would have created such a cool riverfront space.
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2019, 05:48 PM   #3015
Architecture lover
Purple.

Quote:
I believe you answered your own questions calling an insitutution which has been the backbone of Western society as "vile."
Backbone of Western society? Now I've read everything.

Wasn't this the same institution that in the middle ages introduced Europeans to raging wars in the middle east with people we have not a single link to?
Wasn't this the same institution that prosecuted our greatest intellectuals, such like Leonardo da Vinci (IQ of 220, not ever repeated in human history)? Who on the other side demanded education and medical research in order to improve the quality of human life? Who made the postulates of Art, even though at his time he only had color produced from grass and dirt.

Have no idea where you're from, but in Europe we've had our Renaissance for a reason. That's the period of European history where the civilization starts. That's where we got our Universities from. That's our actual backbone.

Not a fictional tale where the woman is created from a man's ribs. While in actuality, we all know we grow in a woman's belly for 9 months, taking oxygen and food suply from her own blood, in order to become human.

Enough of your boresome (yawn) offtopic, like literally you haven't mentioned a single sustainable argument considering the Baroque Palace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDae View Post
Reconstructing an eclectic mix of random add ons would have been pointless. They were later additions and therefore not relevant to the constitution of the original building. I would have favoured leaving that facade missing and having an open courtyard facing the river. Or just continuing the baroque facade around to the river side.
If the palace was open with the courtyard to the river - I agree, it would've been great, it would've looked so approachable and open to people who would've been relaxing at the riverfront during Berlin's summers.

Anyways - a continuation of the Baroque facade would've disrupted the genuinely original building, resulting with more of an imitation.

MDRB, RudNuon liked this post
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 02:18 PM   #3016
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 1824

Quote:

Have no idea where you're from, but in Europe we've had our Renaissance for a reason. That's the period of European history where the civilization starts. That's where we got our Universities from. That's our actual backbone.
This isn't even remotely true.

Jo, venia, Velaxa liked this post
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 03:00 AM   #3017
RegentHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Your narrative has one tiny flaw, why does "politically correct Eurabia" reconstruct the dome with a huge, golden Christian cross carried by angels?

And why is there a Bible quote in giant golden letters on bright blue background running around the dome?
Please, my atheist friend says Jesus Christ in vain more than any support your counter-argument provides. But you know, great progress actually reconstructing the dome this time rather than an upside down glass bowl.

Quote:
Wasn't this the same institution that in the middle ages introduced Europeans to raging wars in the middle east with people we have not a single link to?
Right, those unprovoked Mohammedans totally didn't take over most of Asia Minor, North Africa, and Iberia.

NOLArchitect, tallmark liked this post
Old September 10th, 2019, 08:17 AM   #3018
JorgeORandall

Likes (Received): 6894

They should do the same with the Mexican Capitol in Mexico City, it was a crime. One of the most Beautiful palaces of Mexico. 😭😭

Seanrhine, Fudgis, Notgnirracen liked this post
JorgeORandall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 02:46 PM   #3019
Titan Man

Likes (Received): 1529

The difference is that the Mexican Capitol was never finished, only the central dome, and it now serves as an arch. But I would love to see it finished one day, the design was beautiful.

vittorio tauber liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 03:48 AM   #3020
venia
}:)

Likes (Received): 13161

Quote:
Right, those unprovoked Mohammedans totally didn't take over most of Asia Minor, North Africa, and Iberia.
They were stopped by the Spanish in Vienna, actually. For more than 150 years Hungary was part of the Turkish Empire. The birthplace of the Western civilization was Athens, which remainded turkish for 500 years. People ignore such things...
Anyways, I'm happy for the cross just because the kuppel was designed with it, and the overall shape makes more sense in an architectural way with it. But if it were a star or anything else, I guess noone would notice the difference The same for the church in the back (I had no idea there was one), really, noone cares. I don't believe someone would think "let's not do it for political correctness". In fact, most berliners find the german flag way more shocking than the cross
venia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella