LAS VEGAS (METRO AREA) - Allegiant Stadium (62,500) - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Under Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2016, 06:54 PM   #41
pesto

Likes (Received): 4158

Quote:
Originally Posted by duma187 View Post
Goodell cant talk out of both sides of the mouth on this one. You cant put a team in London and pretend that sports betting doesnt happen there and then deny a team in Vegas because of gambling. London is too important for The NFL. There already are owners with ties to gambling (daily fantasy). This will be such a non issue for Las Vegas.

If The NFL Opposes Sports Gambling In New Jersey, It Shouldn't Play Football Games In London
Goodell has already said that cities will not be discriminated against; it's the people and the deal that will be scrutinized. So that may be a sign that there are changes in store.

Broadly speaking, I don't see the issue with opposing betting in one jurisdiction while ignoring it in others. You can't fight every battle so you try to work on issues where there is some hope of making progress. It will be interesting to see how this evolves over time and what really will be the NFL prerequisites for having gamblers involved economically.

carlosfng liked this post
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2016, 10:16 PM   #42
CDReed

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post

TV market size:
19 Orlando
20 Sacramento
21 St Louis
24 Portland
31 Columbus
32 San Antonio
39 Austin
41 Las Vegas
TV market size and all, guess which city had the highest rating for last week's conference championship games outside Denver, Boston, Wisconsin and Phoenix? Vegas.

TV Market size has very little bearing on the NFL compared to other sports. Green Bay would probably fall as a TV market somewhere below Fresno.
CDReed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 12:00 AM   #43
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDReed View Post
TV market size and all, guess which city had the highest rating for last week's conference championship games outside Denver, Boston, Wisconsin and Phoenix? Vegas.

TV Market size has very little bearing on the NFL compared to other sports. Green Bay would probably fall as a TV market somewhere below Fresno.
Yes. In any event Vegas is hard to compare with other cities. McCarran is the 5th largest airport in the country, maybe higher on weekends when 500k people (give or take) are in town looking to spend money. Probably 1/3 are from California which means a lot of Raider fans and people used to big city prices. And like SD, the opposing teams' fans can't wait to go there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2016, 05:00 AM   #44
5portsF4n

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDReed View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ratings don't work like that.

When a city records a 12.0 rating, they do in relation to its own market size. So a 6.0 (random numbers) in Chicago is, in real terms, much larger than a 16.0 share in Las Vegas.

Again, I could have that completely wrong.

As for TV market size having little bearing on the NFL...you're talking about the league which lives off TV ratings. Don't pretend it doesn't matter. And don't use Green Bay to back up your point either, cos it doesn't help. Even if we just used Wisconsin (forgetting about all the Packers fans in other states), it's still twice the size of Nevada.

Kroenke might be happy that he's going to LA. But Goodell is fapping at the idea of what LA will bring to the next rights negotiation.

Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:32 PM   #45
pesto

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/adel...m-project.html

Adelson's paper backs Adelson's project (especially after firing the former management).

I suspect we are going to hear a lot about this project. Isn't it interesting that we barely hear a word about any Oakland project. The main article in the Merc said that everyone knows that LV is as phony and SA and Carson.

Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:38 PM   #46
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 24352

Quote:
Raiders have options, Oakland has land, mayor says

Saying she isn't surprised that the Oakland Raiders are shopping for a new home — including, most recently, Las Vegas — Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf said Monday that her city remains the football team's best choice for one simple reason: land.

That 100 or so acres around O.co Coliseum, the current home of the Raiders and baseball's Oakland Athletics, is valuable, Schaaf said, and it could prove integral to a deal to keep the Raiders there.
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...fl-schaaf.html

EPA001, Buffaboy, carlosfng liked this post
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 10:27 PM   #47
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB2007 View Post
Now we can see why heroner was being quiet. What she really said here is that we're still not giving any money (and I'm not sure if we are having meetings).

The land does keep going up in value though with the spill-over from SF.

Old February 2nd, 2016, 10:33 PM   #48
aquamaroon

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de Los Ángeles
Likes (Received): 7251

It seems to me that it is going to come down to two suitors for the raiders, oakland and las vegas. oakland is the spiritual home of the team and a stone's throw away from one of the wealthiest areas in the united states. OTOH las vegas is a destination unlike any other and has a personality that would be perfect for the raiders. in addition, vegas has sheldon adleson, a sugar daddy who could buy and sell stan kroenke to be frank, and who wants to build a world class stadium in vegas for a football team.
All the other cities, including san antonio, san diego and st louis for that matter, are distant thirds in this equation.

Buffaboy liked this post

Last edited by aquamaroon; February 2nd, 2016 at 10:40 PM.
aquamaroon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 10:53 PM   #49
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaroon View Post
It seems to me that it is going to come down to two suitors for the raiders, oakland and las vegas. oakland is the spiritual home of the team and a stone's throw away from one of the wealthiest areas in the united states. OTOH las vegas is a destination unlike any other and has a personality that would be perfect for the raiders. in addition, vegas has sheldon adleson, a sugar daddy who could buy and sell stan kroenke to be frank, and who wants to build a world class stadium in vegas for a football team.
All the other cities, including san antonio, san diego and st louis for that matter, are distant thirds in this equation.
You left out Inglewood if the Chargers stay in SD? That seems like the obvious winner unless Oakand or LV come up with an "offer he can't refuse". Plus Oakland and LV have lots of negatives to go with the positives.

For sure SA, SD and STL are WAY behind.

aquamaroon, carlosfng liked this post
Old February 2nd, 2016, 11:37 PM   #50
aquamaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
You left out Inglewood if the Chargers stay in SD? That seems like the obvious winner unless Oakand or LV come up with an "offer he can't refuse". Plus Oakland and LV have lots of negatives to go with the positives.

For sure SA, SD and STL are WAY behind.
Oh yeah, good point. You're right, Inglewood is the number one option, maybe above even oakland, if the chargers stay in sd. If the raiders lose LA to the chargers, or for some other reason, then these other cities come into play.

Old February 3rd, 2016, 12:34 AM   #51
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 183

Honestly, I think now is the best time to stay in Oakland. Oakland's economy is growing well, I'm sure the city itself is growing in population, and it will pay off.

I think Vegas, the Raiders in LA, and San Antonio would all be great hosts for NFL stadiums (especially if the San Antonio stadium was located in an accessible place for Austin fans as well), but Oakland's growth is pretty great and now is not the time to leave it behind.

Buffaboy liked this post
Archbishop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 12:59 AM   #52
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbishop View Post
Honestly, I think now is the best time to stay in Oakland. Oakland's economy is growing well, I'm sure the city itself is growing in population, and it will pay off.

I think Vegas, the Raiders in LA, and San Antonio would all be great hosts for NFL stadiums (especially if the San Antonio stadium was located in an accessible place for Austin fans as well), but Oakland's growth is pretty great and now is not the time to leave it behind.
If Davis gets a good offer from Oakland I think he will stay. But NO money might mean his only recourse is a new investor, and that doesn't sound nearly as good as sharing LA with a nominal rent, fabulous stadium, and more local Raider fans than there are in the Bay Area.

SA is never mentioned by anyone except themselves.

Old February 3rd, 2016, 08:50 AM   #53
blacktrojan3921
Yes, that is my face~

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
Jeeze, time was sure not friendly to Harry and Lloyd.

carnifex2005 liked this post
blacktrojan3921 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 04:30 AM   #54
carnifex2005

Likes (Received): 1881

Animosity regarding Al Davis still influences owners

In most businesses where decisions are influenced by factors that for any number of reasons shouldn’t influence decisions (in other words, in all businesses), discretion is exercised. When it comes to the NFL and decisions made involving the Raiders, discretion flies out the window, apparently.

An excellent, thorough, and at times biting portrait of the modern NFL and its Commissioner from Mark Leibovich of the New York Times Magazine includes new details about the January 12 ownership meeting that resulted in the Rams getting the first L.A. golden ticket.

“Everybody wins in this deal,’’ Dolphins owner Stephen M. Ross said to reporters while leaving the meeting.

‘‘What about the fans of St. Louis?’’ he was asked.

‘‘Well, somebody has to lose,’’ Ross said.

The Raiders also lose, and for reasons not entirely related to business merit. The Raiders lose because their partners hold a grudge.

‘‘Oakland gets nothing,’’ Texans owner Robert McNair. ‘‘Al used to sue us all the time.’’

McNair didn’t even join the league until 2002, and yet his feelings about the litigiousness of a man who had been dead for more than four years are blunt and raw. How do the owners who actually lived through the worst of the legal battles feel?

The comments from McNair underscore a sense that has been percolating around the league for years. The Raiders won’t move to L.A. as long as Mark Davis owns the team.

For his part, Davis seems to think his status comes from a perception that he’s not nearly as rich as his billionaire colleagues.

‘‘Everyone thinks I have no money,” Davis told Leibovich. ‘‘But I’ve got $500 million and a team.’’

As long as Davis still has that team, that team likely won’t have a spot in L.A., even if the Chargers decide to stay in San Diego. And the league, based on the attitude expressed by McNair, won’t be likely to do Davis any favors as a result of the perceived sins of his father, who if anything was decades ahead of the curve in pushing back against a business model that, as it always has been constructed, potentially violates multiple federal antitrust laws on a regular basis.

Last edited by carnifex2005; February 4th, 2016 at 04:51 AM.
carnifex2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 12:23 AM   #55
BenAffleck

Likes (Received): 227

Don't they have first right of refusal if the Chargers remain in SD?

What can the NFL do, get Stan to make the tenant or partnership buy-in astronomical?

BenAffleck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 12:38 AM   #56
carnifex2005

Likes (Received): 1881

I personally think Kronke has already made the tenant/partnership buy in astronomical. That's why the Chargers have gone slinking back to San Diego. I can see the deal being worse for the Raiders and the NFL not lifting a finger to put pressure on Kronke to sweeten the deal (not like they did for Spanos at least).

carnifex2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 03:30 AM   #57
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 24352

Quote:
Told by source idea of #Raiders moving to Vegas is very real. Mark Davis and Sheldon Adelson have been discussing it for two years.
https://twitter.com/JasonColeBR

aquamaroon, EPA001 liked this post
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 04:44 AM   #58
aquamaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB2007 View Post
Alright! The next round of smokescreens, denials and non-denial denials is upon us. was starting to miss it with the l.a. saga

MarshallKnight, carlosfng liked this post
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:41 PM   #59
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaroon View Post
Alright! The next round of smokescreens, denials and non-denial denials is upon us. was starting to miss it with the l.a. saga
http://da.radio.cbssports.com/2016/0...y-be-one-team/

This quotes Ian Rapoport as saying that he (and, practically all the other reporters) were really confused about the Rams move to LA because of bad leaks, etc. It’s nice that he has finally stopped being 12 years old and started figuring things out for himself instead of taking others’ paid-for opinions.

Fortunately, during that process only the many real fools (Vinnie, Jason Cole, etc.) seemed to actually believe that the NF would vote for Carson or change the future of the league to keep Spanos happy and rich. So it was easy to see the Rams were going to Inglewood and everybody else was angling on how to get into that deal.

Now, it’s tougher to sort of the real b/s since there is no obvious solution for the remaining teams. So expect the PR to work big time and even the amateurs to feel confident about spewing b/s.

aquamaroon, carlosfng liked this post
Old February 5th, 2016, 07:40 PM   #60
aquamaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
http://da.radio.cbssports.com/2016/0...y-be-one-team/

This quotes Ian Rapoport as saying that he (and, practically all the other reporters) were really confused about the Rams move to LA because of bad leaks, etc. It’s nice that he has finally stopped being 12 years old and started figuring things out for himself instead of taking others’ paid-for opinions.

Fortunately, during that process only the many real fools (Vinnie, Jason Cole, etc.) seemed to actually believe that the NF would vote for Carson or change the future of the league to keep Spanos happy and rich. So it was easy to see the Rams were going to Inglewood and everybody else was angling on how to get into that deal.

Now, it’s tougher to sort of the real b/s since there is no obvious solution for the remaining teams. So expect the PR to work big time and even the amateurs to feel confident about spewing b/s.
Yeah the whole inglewood/carson affair was a real crash course in spin for me. I'm not a PR guy by any means but it was really very enlightening to see how everything worked out in the end, and how the leaks we were all fretting over turned out to be nothing but intentional misdirection.

I guess if I took one lesson from the relocation business it's this: follow the money dummy(i.e. me), and everything else is secondary. And adleson has the most money of anyone in this game, so I'm tempted to say he's gonna get at least SOMETHING he wants out of this.

Last edited by aquamaroon; February 5th, 2016 at 07:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
las vegas, usa