Newcastle Great Park | Newcastle | Various | U/C - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old October 28th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #21
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

I know a number of people who have worked on NGP and have a lot of regrets about how it has turned out, that's all.

I completely understand the reason for building more executive homes in Newcastle, but I do feel like the market has changed somewhat since NGP first started to be dreamed up. Say whatever you like, but the NGP is an entirely car-driven development. The business park is separated from the shopping area, which similarly is quite well cut off from much of the housing. If we want to create sustainable communities we should be looking to mix commercial and office space together, along with some housing, to create a genuine centre that wouldn't have so much of the massive car parks that have been in the town centre plans since day one. This centre should in turn be closely surrounded by more housing, not cut off by wide roads. It reminds me of Washington for crying out loud.

I don't blame the Lib Dems I should add, it was too far down the road by the time they got in. I blame the developers (who prefer to keep everything neatly zoned) and the system that allows the developers too much say. The public sector should have a much greater say in the design, with developers simply delivering these designs. This obviously would have an impact on profits, and therefore land values, but so be it.

As for Scotswood, I just hope it doesn't go the same way. I appreciate that the management classes won't live in Scotswood, but when you're building thousands of houses at NGP it must have an impact on the demand for a new development in Scotswood.

And yes, Lebowski's right, North Tyneside have a lot to answer for. And unfortunately, they don't look like stopping in their pursuit of huge, sprawling identikit suburban estates. It will come back to bite the area in the end, if it hasn't already.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #22
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 25

Not to mention again this mention of Great North Park. Where exactly is that then? It's the NEWCASTLE GREAT PARK!
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #23
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

It was known as the Great North Park at one time though
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #24
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2095

Newcastle Great Park - Latest update May 2010.

Newcastle Great Park (NGP) is located three miles north west of the City Centre, close to the A1.

It is a major development, with land allocated for . .

• A Business Park
• Housing
• A 'Town' Centre
• A First School
• Nursery (next to the school)
• Community Facilities
• Open Spaces
• Play Areas and Outdoor Sport.

The scheme is being delivered by the "Great Park Consortium", which includes the house builders Persimmon Homes, Taylor Wimpey and Charles Church. Parts of the development have also been built by Barratt.

Developments East of the A1 (Melbury and Warkworth Woods)

The earliest phases of NGP housing development, known as Melbury and Warkworth Woods, are almost complete. These properties are on the East side of the A1.

There is also a Residents' Association for Melbury and Warkworth Woods - visit their website at www.melburyandwarkworthwoods.com

Developments West of the A1 (Greenside, East Moor Village, the 'Town' Centre, Western Village, community facilities, affordable housing, park & ride)

The largest phase of housing development is being built on the West side of the A1, along with the 'town' centre.

Around 2500 homes are proposed.

Greenside - Greenside is one of the developments on the West side of the A1. It is located just north of Kingston Park. When complete there will be 320 homes. A plan of Greenside and more information will follow.

It is hoped to form a Residents Association for the Greenside development.

East Moor Village - East Moor Village is located next to Brunton First School. When complete there will be 82 homes. A plan of East Moor Village will follow.

Affordable Housing - The first phase of affordable housing is now complete in the town centre. This includes an extra care facility with 40 two bedroom self contained flats and two buildings containing 42 two bed flats with ground floor mixed use rental units.

Cheviot Housing group are responsible for letting and managing this scheme. Contact information to follow

The 'Town' Centre - The NGP Consortium and Newcastle City Council have worked together to produce a design for a vibrant and exciting town centre which sits a the heart of the NGP development.

The multiple use town centre will be centered around a new supermarket with North to South pedestrian boulevard, market square and links to the surrounding housing and strategic open space.

In the town centre it is planned that high street style shops, cafes and restaurants will provide for the needs of the new community and careful and practical integration of level changes across the site will ensure that pedestrian and vehicle access is achieved and accessible to all users.

There are also plans to build a hotel, private hospital and leisure facility in a zone North of Brunton Lane accessed from Great Park Way.

For further enquiries on the exciting opportunities for the hotel, private hospital, leisure facility and retail units contact Knight Frank on 0191 221 2211.

Western Village - Work is due to start on a further 280 houses West of the town centre.

Community Facilities - Newcastle City Council has given approval in principle for the location of a community building and sports pitches near to Brunton First School. This should be available for use in 2012 - 2013. More information to follow.

Business Park - Sage and the Primary Care Trust are located at the Great Park on the business park.

For more information on the Great Park go to www.newcastlegreatpark.com. We also have more information in the related pages section on the right handside of the screen.

Park and Ride - Newcastle Great Park has a park and ride site. It is located off Great Park Way near to Sage on the business park. There are 500 free parking spaces and is open from 7.00am to 7.00pm Monday to Saturday.

To keep updated on the bus service time table go on the Nexus website http://www.nexus.org.uk
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #25
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 818

I have got to admit that if I was in a decent job and had my own transport I would be interested in buying a house there. A couple of years ago I was involved in a house removal from a house in the estate to a town house in the estate. Now the house that I moved the couple from was rather small but you can get bigger houses but for a large price round there, but the town house they moved to had plenty of rooom, though the staircase was rather narrow. I'm not a town house sort of person but if they were able to offer decent sized houses with an affordable price tag it would be more of an option to people.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #26
wj_gibson

Likes (Received): 69

To be honest, I feel the major problem with NGP is connected to the gargntuan gestation period of the entire scheme. I grew up in Brunton Park and I recall the scheme being first proposed in around 1990/91 (if not earlier). The consultation period, together with the process of gaining permission to build on what had been green belt land, took years to sort out and was fiercely opposed by the people living up at Brunton Park who (not unjustly) felt that it would turn the estate into a bit of a rat run, and that precious little thought had been given to the infrastructure of the new development, which has always been planned predominantly as a housing estate revolving aroun car ownership. The precedents that have underlain the NGP project from the outset have been Kingston Park and Chapel House, rather than any progressive, C21 idea of sustainable suburbia. I appreciate that a lot of the houses are extremely energy-efficient and the like, but it's still a desolute, soulless place with poor bus connections and a need to walk for miles to get anywhere. The street are utterly deserted at night as well. I much prefer living in Heaton, with all the noise, student parties and traffic congestion, to a dead zone like NGP.

I realise NGP was intended as part of an effort to retain middle class types but, tbh, if I was earning the kind of money that enabled me to buy a house in NGP, I would go and buy one at Riding Mill or somewhere instead. At least it's scenic and there's a couple of pubs. I wouldn't live in NGP.
wj_gibson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 04:22 AM   #27
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatton11 View Post
Not to mention again this mention of Great North Park. Where exactly is that then? It's the NEWCASTLE GREAT PARK!

I'm like you Chatton, this gets on my nerves!!

This "North" Park thing (and how it persists in the face of facts) NEVER existed. Newcastle Great Park NEVER used to called "North" Park!

There used to be a "Northern Development Area", for planning purposes, in Newcastle, which is approximately where Newcastle Great Park is.

But there was never a "North" Park (be it "Great" or otherwise) anywhere in Newcastle.

We even have a thread called Newcastle Great Park (NGP) . . .

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=983386
Old May 17th, 2010, 04:22 AM   #28
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

The fact is though, that even during the recession, Newcastle Great Park is being built at a very rapid pace, they are fairly expensive houses, and the reason they are being built is because people are buying them!

A lot of people, who have been forced to move out of the City in recent years as they cannot find a suitable home IN the City, want to live in Newcastle very much indeed.

I know many people like that.

Newcastle Great Park is giving these people the opportunity to live here again, and that is why houses in NGP are still being built and still being quickly bought.

NGP is EXACTLY what people want, that is why it is such a success.

It will be a 'soulless' place for quite a while, no amenities, no shops, no 'community'. But, like everywhere else, as it grows and matures (and gets its "Town" Centre heart) it will cease to be soulless and will be a successful part of Newcastle.

In my opinion.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 28th, 2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #29
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacman View Post

As for the Great North Park or whatever its called
Jon

Jon,

You make lots of great posts on here, I always enjoy reading them and have learnt a lot from them!

The area you refer to does not contain that magical word "North".

It is simply called . . Newcastle Great Park.

If you want to though, you can continue to call it whatever you fancy!!!

Regards,
Peter.
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #30
Hacman

Likes (Received): 32

To be honest I never really saw it as anything worthy of a name.... to me and many I know its always just been "those houses near Sage at the bottom of Kingston Park" lol.

Ah well.... Perhpas we need to move this strand of discussion over to a more suitable part of the site though, and begin to focus on Metro and transport related stuff here again....

Jon
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #31
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
To be honest I never really saw it as anything worthy of a name.... to me and many I know its always just been "those houses near Sage at the bottom of Kingston Park" lol.

Ah well.... Perhpas we need to move this strand of discussion over to a more suitable part of the site though, and begin to focus on Metro and transport related stuff here again....

Jon

I agree, in fact I will move these posts (currently on the 'Tyne & Wear Metro' thread) to the 'Newcastle Great Park' thread!

It's just that calling places by wrong names really does annoy people, particularly if it is where they live that is so regularly mis-named!!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; May 17th, 2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:36 PM   #32
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:

Newcastle Great Park is (at this still early stage of its development) already a very much more significant part of the Newcastle landscape than that!

There are now many large areas of housing, that have become successful suburbs with mature trees planted and with the time and effort that many residents are spending on their gardens and the areas around their houses, these areas are already looking very well 'established'.

The first major area of Newcastle Great Park, is called Warkworth Woods . .

The second major area of Newcastle Great Park is called Melbury . .

The third major residential area of Newcastle Great Park (still under construction) is called Greenside. This area is "just north of Kingston Park" and since the below photo was taken in July 2008, the area of housing has more than trebled . .

This next area of Newcastle Great Park encompasses the 'Sage building', the other planned office blocks, the "Town" Centre, and another large area of housing. Currently (May 2010) if you are travelling north along the A1 Western Bypass in Newcastle, you can see quite a lot of the new housing (from this area) is now already built. The only bit of all this shown on the below (July 2008 Google Earth) photo, is the Sage building, the round building at the top of the photo . .

It is amazing how quickly many parts of the Melbury and Warkworth Woods areas of Newcastle Great Park, have matured. This whole area is going to be a very positive addition to the Newcastle suburban landscape, over the next few years.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:30 PM   #33
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Newcastle Great Park is (at this still early stage of its development) already a very much more significant part of the Newcastle landscape than that!

There are now many large areas of housing, that have become successful suburbs with mature trees planted and with the time and effort that many residents are spending on their gardens and the areas around their houses, these areas are already looking very well 'established'.
Hmm. All this is, of course, quite true. But . . . .
I find this to be an excrutiatingly abysmal place. And all because of its design.

Take this view (and please pan round to left and right) -
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...310.31,,0,12.4
No people. Just cars and parking spaces.
No toys, washing lines, prams infact, no sign of human occupation at all!

It does nothing but strengthen our dependence on privately owned cars - it undermines the micro-economy of local shops serving local people and strengthens the out-of town supermarkets. It appears to actively undermine certain kinds of public use of open spaces (for walking, playing, eating) etc. (I don't understand the mechanism but you can see the results elsewhere : from (locally) Allerburn Lea in Alnwick to (London) Limehouse "village" right next to the bustling Tower Hamlets estates).

I have no enthusiasm for the 60's and 70's concrete communities which we're replacing, but at least they made space for people to LIVE in their spaces, where local enterprises served local needs, and the local landscape considered human problems, failings and our detritus.

In Newcastle Great Park, groups of teenagers, pensioners, or toddlers won't just FEEL as if there is nowhere for them. There IS nowhere for them in this sanitised, sterile wilderness of false-old-local-bricks.
Let me guess, the kind of "gardening" that these folks undertake is more of an exercise in retailling than horticulture. If a shrub doesn't flower, what will they do? Study the greater biological environment or take it back to the shop?

"Significant" yes, but socially impoverished.
However, I'll gladly withdraw my criticisms when I see real inter-generational communities developed there (and I can see some rubbish, wheel marks from bicycles prams and wheelbarrows. Or at least see some wheely bins!)

Last edited by DXNewcastle; May 23rd, 2010 at 06:37 PM.
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:07 PM   #34
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

We'll agree to disagree then!!

Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:43 PM   #35
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
We'll agree to disagree then!!
Agreed! !

Although I'm not sure I was in disagreement with your post NH! - - - rather than qualifying and adding, I'd hoped. Only disagreeing perhaps with your estimation that the development will be seen as a "positive addition" in years to come. And who knows what we'll think with hindsight?

Anyway, since posting 2 up from this, I went for a cycle ride from the Tyne through Byker, Heaton, Jesmond, Gosforth, Fawdon and round the Great Park itself, to see if I had overstated my argument or got any facts wrong. Its a lovely warm, sunny Sunday afternoon and there are people out in the grassy spaces and streets everywhere, walking, sitting, chatting, eating and just "being out".

But not in NGP. There, I saw only 9 people out, 5 willfully walking dogs (only one would make eye contact, dissaprovingly I thought!); 2 kids on bikes who then left the area; 2 sitting in their cars cleaning or fiddling with them.
Deserted.
Cars everywhere, in the roads, on the pavements, in driveways, in bays; but not people.
As for these miniscule gardens, I wonder if they're imperviously de-coupled from planet earth. I saw more dead plants per house (mostly in innapropriate planters in those 300mm front, er, garden) than the gardens and terraces of Heaton and Jesmond.
I could continue ranting about other features which I don't like, and there are many architectural details to dislike, but I was trying to make a point - to raise questions about the influence that our built environments has upon our society; our behaviour, our values, our expectations and what, in turn, we seek to achieve for our selves and those around us.
I think there is a lot more to be said about these new professionals' villages in those terms, which applies to NGP as much as to others.

But I think I've said enough for now.
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:09 PM   #36
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

The rest apart, that does sound like an excellent cycle ride!

I used to go everywhere by bike, I think I'll have to dust mine off again!

Seriously think I will do that, cheers.
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #37
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Ah well, my bike has finally succumbed to the passage of time!

Looks like I'll have to stick to the car!!

Oh, and a good bit of old "Shanks's Pony" as well though - honest!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 30th, 2010 at 05:05 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old July 11th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #38
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXNewcastle View Post
Agreed! !

Although I'm not sure I was in disagreement with your post NH! - - - rather than qualifying and adding, I'd hoped. Only disagreeing perhaps with your estimation that the development will be seen as a "positive addition" in years to come. And who knows what we'll think with hindsight?

Anyway, since posting 2 up from this, I went for a cycle ride from the Tyne through Byker, Heaton, Jesmond, Gosforth, Fawdon and round the Great Park itself, to see if I had overstated my argument or got any facts wrong. Its a lovely warm, sunny Sunday afternoon and there are people out in the grassy spaces and streets everywhere, walking, sitting, chatting, eating and just "being out".

But not in NGP. There, I saw only 9 people out, 5 willfully walking dogs (only one would make eye contact, dissaprovingly I thought!); 2 kids on bikes who then left the area; 2 sitting in their cars cleaning or fiddling with them.
Deserted.
Cars everywhere, in the roads, on the pavements, in driveways, in bays; but not people.
As for these miniscule gardens, I wonder if they're imperviously de-coupled from planet earth. I saw more dead plants per house (mostly in innapropriate planters in those 300mm front, er, garden) than the gardens and terraces of Heaton and Jesmond.
I could continue ranting about other features which I don't like, and there are many architectural details to dislike, but I was trying to make a point - to raise questions about the influence that our built environments has upon our society; our behaviour, our values, our expectations and what, in turn, we seek to achieve for our selves and those around us.
I think there is a lot more to be said about these new professionals' villages in those terms, which applies to NGP as much as to others.

But I think I've said enough for now.
I have to agree with every word of this.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #39
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

The below has already been posted on the "Property, Business & Economic News" thread, but is also relevant here.

While the residential development of Newcastle Great Park has continued apace during the recession, the business and office development aspect has slowed down a lot (from planned). So, the retention by the SAGE building here in Newcastle of its "HQ Status" (something we lack large numbers of in the North East, even in Newcastle) is not only good news for Newcastle Great Park, but for the whole of Newcastle and the Region . . .

Guy Berruyer to be new boss at Sage
July 17th 2010, by Karen Dent, The Journal

SOFTWARE giant Sage has named Frenchman Guy Berruyer as its new boss in a move which guarantees the plc will continue to have its headquarters in Newcastle.

Currently head of the company’s mainland Europe & Asia operations, the 59-year-old will succeed Paul Walker as group chief executive from October 1.

Mr Walker, who is will leave the Newcastle-based accounting software business after a transition period on December 1, said: “It’s a process that has taken a while. Guy has been in the business for a long time. He’s run a portfolio of businesses for us and he came from the industry originally.

“I recruited him originally to run the French business. As we developed into Europe and Asia, gradually I’ve given him more and more responsibility. He is a friend and a colleague. I have worked closely with Guy for a long, long time.”

Sage confirmed that the new chief executive, who currently works from Paris, would work out of Newcastle as his main office although he will also work from London and travel on business.

Mr Walker said: “He’ll clearly be spending a lot of time in Newcastle and London and he’s used to being out on the road.” And he stressed the appointment was good news for Sage’s 1,200 Newcastle Great Park staff – and the region.

“Clearly for the plc, it’s business as normal. People did speculate an external candidate may want to move the headquarters,” said Mr Walker. “So it’s really, really good news for the North East. We don’t want to lose another publicly quoted company.”

Sage, which was founded in Newcastle in 1981, has 6.2 million customers and 13,100 staff worldwide working in 24 countries. Globally, it has an annual turnover of around £1.4bn.

ARTICLE HERE - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business...1140-26871033/
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #40
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Just to confirm are Warkworth Woods, Melbury & Greenside all now complete? If so what is currently under construction? Has work started on the "town centre" yet?

I came across these images I hadn't seen before of the planned town centre and it got me curious as to how far things have came along. How far through the whole development are they? Any information anyone can share would be much appreciated.

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf...astlegreatpark
Advertisement

Tags
construction, development, developments, newcastle, newcastle great park, ngp, north newcastle, project, project - newcastle area, projects, residential