Newcastle Great Park | Newcastle | Various | U/C - Page 8 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:09 AM   #141
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazmincleo View Post
East of the a1 where I live is completely finished

It will be 5-10 years before any shops/town centre or anything of that nature appears ..... Possibly even longer

Yes, it will be a long time before the NGP plan is fully built.

As you say, probably longer than ten years.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:25 AM   #142
Jazmincleo

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Yes, it will be a long time before the NGP plan is fully built.

As you say, probably longer than ten years.
When I bought this house in 2004 I was told Great Park East was to be completed in two years and the whole estate within 10. The last properties on Great Park East were built last year, 3 years after The Kingston Park side was started. They started that side and left WHOLE streets here mothballed with just a ground floor built for almost 18 months. Thankfully it's all finished.

Very few people here have any connection to Great Park West. None of us venture over there unless its for the school on East Moor Village and in future most parents I've spoken to will choose Gosforth schools to there because its on their way to work and not 1.5 miles out of their way

Last edited by Jazmincleo; January 2nd, 2013 at 02:41 AM.
Jazmincleo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:29 AM   #143
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 819

Why isn't NGP built yet?

They started building it a long time ago, I was something like 10 when they started building it (possibly even younger). Also what is going on with the business park? Over the last few years Cobalt and Quorum have been expanding rapidly where as NGP business park has had no development of any kind and there is only 1 or 2 buildings other than the Sage centre there. There has even been plans to build another business park just north of Sandy lane (between Sandy lane and the slag heaps), so surely the business park at NGP has potential.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:24 PM   #144
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Why isn't NGP built yet?

They started building it a long time ago, I was something like 10 when they started building it

I have been quite impressed with how Newcastle Great Park has 'continuously' kept on building its houses on both sides of the Newcastle Western Bypass (though now only West of it, as East is completed) all the way through the current house-building slump.

All over the country there have been reports of houses being 'mothballed' partly constructed, and new plans for housing being abandoned, since the start of the 'credit-crunch' all the way through to the current day, of the 'double-dip recession that may become a triple dip recession' - but NGP have kept building all the way through.

Remember, this is a whole new area of the City, with all the new roads and amenities associated with that - it was always a long-term plan.

It will be a long while more (as said in previous posts) before it is finished, but it has kept on building all through the current bad times, it looks different (bigger) every time I see it from the A1, which is where I most regularly see it from.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:24 PM   #145
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

I doubt it's in the housebuilders' best interests to build any faster... If they flood the market with new homes they'll struggle to sell them at the price they want. Which is exactly why you can't rely upon the private sector to solve the housing shortage; it's not their fault, they're private sector companies who have to make the best profits they can for their shareholders.

As for the Business Park, who knows...
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:32 PM   #146
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Why isn't NGP built yet? what is going on with the business park? Over the last few years Cobalt and Quorum have been expanding rapidly where as NGP business park has had no development of any kind and there is only 1 or 2 buildings other than the Sage centre there.

Yes, the lack of activity on the planned 'office-buildings area' of Newcastle Great Park is disappointing, but very understandable.

I think you have partly given the answer for this actually, in your own post Chris.

The Newcastle "out of town" office market is currently being very well served with large new office buildings at Cobalt and Balliol/Quorum, so there simply hasn't been the necessary demand for office buildings at NGP.

Remember NGP has never had any of the favourable 'enterprise zone' funding available, so in these difficult economic times it has just not been able to compete.

Because of its location (equally as good, if not better, that Cobalt and Balliol/Quorum) it will come good in the future as the economy improves . . . whenever that might be!
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:20 PM   #147
Jazmincleo

As resident we've been told that a new Supermarket is planned for the estate, in what will become the new town centre. At one residents meeting about 4 years ago we were told that Asda were most interested in the site because they couldn't open their Gosforth Branch 24 hours because of it's close proximity to houses and flats. This was overturned and they got what they wanted.

The supermarket plans are substantial but a friend of mine who is a local shopkeeper in Wideopen told me that Tesco have been categorically ruled out for the new store so we will have to wait and see. We've been told to expect the new supermarket by late 2015. As I mentioned earlier, some of the new "High Street" shop units are already built but currently mothballed.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:28 PM   #148
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazmincleo View Post
As resident we've been told that a new Supermarket is planned for the estate, in what will become the new town centre. At one residents meeting about 4 years ago we were told that Asda were most interested in the site because they couldn't open their Gosforth Branch 24 hours because of it's close proximity to houses and flats. This was overturned and they got what they wanted.

The supermarket plans are substantial but a friend of mine who is a local shopkeeper in Wideopen told me that Tesco have been categorically ruled out for the new store so we will have to wait and see. We've been told to expect the new supermarket by late 2015. As I mentioned earlier, some of the new "High Street" shop units are already built but currently mothballed.
It's a Waitrose supermarket to open on Great Park.
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:25 PM   #149
Jazmincleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiejon View Post
It's a Waitrose supermarket to open on Great Park.
Oh how do you know that
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:11 PM   #150
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 47

It's been mentioned somewhere on here I think.
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:37 PM   #151
Jazmincleo

Pictures from Great Park - hosted on google picasa

The bollards on Brunton Bridge which have been broken quite a few times since being installed in November 2012 because people drive into them at night

Brunton Bridge Looking Eastbound, now closed to almost all traffic and annexing off the most developed sector of the estate from the new town

Brunton First School on Roseden Way

Land directly adjacent to the school on it's left - where developers have cleared the land - New community centre to be built here very soon with football piches

The new building under construction on Roseden Way, it's to the right of the school. I thought it was the community centre but apparently it's not

The town centre plot. The big green space is where the forthcoming supermarket will be built, along with affordable apartments, a pub and a heath centre apparently. The supermarket is suppose to arrive first. The white buildings to the left are sheltered housing for the elderly, they're fully occupied however there are absolutely no shops or facilities on this side of the estate. The grey and white boards on the ground floor are all shop units and that is the left hand side of the new High Street when it's eventually built. There are approximately 16 shop units there already built.

Last edited by Jazmincleo; January 3rd, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:46 PM   #152
tfc03

Likes (Received): 31

Wow! I'd be wondering for months who was living in those (presently) isolated buildings, and its the elderly!! In time it will be a good location but for now it must feel bizarrely remote there and probably not so easy to get around now. (thanks for the photos!)
tfc03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:46 PM   #153
tfc03

Likes (Received): 31

Wow! I'd be wondering for months who was living in those (presently) isolated buildings, and its the elderly!! In time it will be a good location but for now it must feel bizarrely remote there and probably not so easy to get around now. (thanks for the photos!)
tfc03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:53 PM   #154
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 819

I would have though the usual suspects, Greggs, Ladbrokes, Subway, Starbucks/Costa etc would all have claimed a unit there.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 04:18 PM   #155
Jazmincleo

Quote:
I would have though the usual suspects, Greggs, Ladbrokes, Subway, Starbucks/Costa etc would all have claimed a unit there.
I would expect a Greggs but from where they're located then a Hidden Hearing, Bon Marche and a Greenwoods would do a bomb
Old January 3rd, 2013, 04:21 PM   #156
Jazmincleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfc03 View Post
Yes they're 2 bedroom self contained apartments, they've been occupied for about 2 years now. I bet it felt like being on Alcatraz. There are more streets there now and a bus service every 20 minutes so I imagine its a bit better but you can't just pop out for a pint of milk because the nearest shop is the Co-op at North Brunton
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #157
Jazmincleo

Great Park residents get official warning from Northumbria Police - Door drop from the police sent to all residents last night regarding parking on the pavement which is an offence anywhere but is a particular problem on this estate

Old January 19th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #158
Seamaster
BANNED

Likes (Received): 41

Good old Northumbria Police. They'd shit a brick if they had to tackle any real criminals.
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #159
Jazmincleo

Unfortunately a kid was seriously injured in the autumn by someone driving the wrong way down the one way system/bus lane after being forced onto the road by cars parked on the pavement and in December the police had to knock on residents doors to find the owner of a car which parked partly on the pavement and partly on the road, blocking the 46 bus from leaving the estate because it could't squeeze past the vehicle without smashing the cars mirror.
Old January 19th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #160
wj_gibson

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Good old Northumbria Police. They'd shit a brick if they had to tackle any real criminals.
Rubbish.

Like it or not, this type of behaviour is part of the police purview.
wj_gibson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, development, developments, newcastle, newcastle great park, ngp, north newcastle, project, project - newcastle area, projects, residential