CBD - North > Sapphire by the Gardens - 308 Exhibition Street > 232m / 62L & 222m / 60L / u.c - Page 37 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Victoria

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2019, 04:38 AM   #721
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 16302

old

latest
Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2020, 505George-2023 , 338 Pitt- 2024 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum

Barwon Boy, lozza, Bluey66, Collin liked this post
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2019, 04:59 AM   #722
Barwon Boy

Likes (Received): 579

Correct, there's actually no visible hat now

tower_dan, lozza liked this post
Barwon Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 08:52 AM   #723
Papps

Likes (Received): 918

Do we get the impression that the glazing on the left tower has some added embellishment to it?
Papps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 11:01 AM   #724
lozza
Go Ahead.....Make My Day!

Likes (Received): 1892

Just ridiculous shaving off 10m of the first tower. What's the point?
lozza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 11:08 AM   #725
Papps

Haven’t you realised yet that the world is full of compromises, just to keep ‘other’ People happy!!!
Old June 21st, 2019, 05:37 PM   #726
Danny21

Likes (Received): 212

Old June 22nd, 2019, 03:24 AM   #727
Papps

Oh my!

This will be one big solid rock.

Just look at the detail in that weave.

This is big boys macrame. Hey Gran, take a look at this!

Last edited by Papps; June 22nd, 2019 at 04:29 AM.
Old June 22nd, 2019, 04:23 AM   #728
redden

Likes (Received): 15871

Thanks Danny, that's exactly what I was hoping to see when I opened the thread; how intricate is that work!
redden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2019, 07:51 AM   #729
redden

Likes (Received): 15871

3pm, Saturday, 22nd.

Bluey66, lozza, HenryX, spinnn, Collin, Oriolus liked this post
redden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2019, 08:16 AM   #730
perheps

Likes (Received): 313

Just one build? Or two same time?
perheps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2019, 10:46 AM   #731
worzil

Likes (Received): 1695

Clearly not ready for the pour yet. Weather doesn't help.

They have the road closure scheduled for next weekend as well for the concrete pour.
worzil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2019, 11:54 PM   #732
VeniVidiConstructum

Likes (Received): 166

How is it possible to have such imense weight bearing down over 4 tunnels? In my experience the load needs to be transfered around the tunnels via piles or footings which sit beyond the angle of repose.
VeniVidiConstructum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 06:45 AM   #733
lozza
Go Ahead.....Make My Day!

Likes (Received): 1892

Apparently the raft slab transfers all the weight and load on to the piles around the edges which go way deeper than the tunnels

VeniVidiConstructum liked this post
lozza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 10:32 AM   #734
Melb On

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiConstructum View Post
How is it possible to have such imense weight bearing down over 4 tunnels? In my experience the load needs to be transfered around the tunnels via piles or footings which sit beyond the angle of repose.
I think some of you don't realize that the slab or raft 'sits on the piles which are around the edge' and go deep to bedrock and past the tunnels or whatever is down there. A108 has a core and it actually sits on piles driven deep into the ground also as do most of them.There are exceptions as per Aurora which i believe sits on a slab of bedrock with very little piles.
I can assure you that no way can you have the weight of two 250m towers sitting on tunnels below.The piles go way down past the side of the tunnels without touching them.The raft then sits on the piles...

VeniVidiConstructum liked this post
Melb On no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 11:05 AM   #735
Decatur

Likes (Received): 1446

Well I hope they get it right or it’s going to end badly.
Decatur está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 11:45 AM   #736
Barwon Boy

Everyone keeps waffling on about the tunnels....you guys know they have been building taller towers over tunnels in New York and London for years now.
It will be fine.

primal beauty, myfords351, HenryX liked this post
Old June 23rd, 2019, 05:34 PM   #737
tower_dan

Likes (Received): 1114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barwon Boy View Post
Everyone keeps waffling on about the tunnels....you guys know they have been building taller towers over tunnels in New York and London for years now.
It will be fine.
Not true.

Give or take most of New York subway runs directly below street level so there is no substantial skyscraper weight directly above.

Ditto with Londons underground where tunnels follow street routes as much as possible through the central part of the city as much as possible (Picadilly lies directly below regen Street, the central line under Oxford etc) and avoid directly tunnelling under the major skyscraper areas. (all lines pass around the City of London, Jubilee Line in Canary Wharf runs directly under the dock which has skyscrapers either side but nothing directly above.

so just because a city has an underground + skyscrapers doesn't mean they have cracked the code of building skyscrapers above those tunnels.

If you look at any structure built directly above a tube line in any city you will see that particular attention is paid to this they actively design the structure around the tunnels.

Leeza Soho in Beijing was designed with 2 cores to sit either side of Line 14 subway and made an atrium directly above the subway to avoid any unnecessary weight bearing down on the tunnels.

it is a MAJOR part of planning that tunnels and skyscrapers don't overlap without substantial methods to shift the weight around the tunnels.

Screenshot 2019-06-23 at 4.26.51 pm by Daniel C, on Flickr

JCooza, PaddyS, Rakali liked this post
tower_dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2019, 12:22 AM   #738
Barwon Boy

Chances are that in a city the size of London or NYC a lot of building would've taken place over the top of tunnels. And some of London's tunnels aren't even that deep.
Old June 24th, 2019, 09:28 AM   #739
tower_dan

Likes (Received): 1114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barwon Boy View Post
Chances are that in a city the size of London or NYC a lot of building would've taken place over the top of tunnels. And some of London's tunnels aren't even that deep.
There is no "chance" about it.

Yes, you can build buildings over a tunnel, lowrise (relatively) light structures. But skyscrapers no.

geoengineering is a very precise science and its the very reason such detailed plans of subterranean works are kept.

As for the shallow tube lines, they are the ones the follow the street routes above the most.

The metro/Hammersmith/circle lines were built cut and cover back in the day, more or less following Euston Rd and Farringdon Rd in central London.

Most of the road dug up for this was reinstated, but there are actually still exposed sections of track which make it not a tube anymore. they rebuilt houses either side of the tracks and it is an open air railroad to this day, nothing built above.

I gave you three cities where skyscrapers and tube lines don't cross. I will eat my hat if you can show me technical plans of any city where a skyscraper sits directly above a tube line without allowances to transfer the weight around the tunnels themselves.
Old June 24th, 2019, 04:08 PM   #740
HenryX

Likes (Received): 837

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb On View Post
I think some of you don't realize that the slab or raft 'sits on the piles which are around the edge' and go deep to bedrock and past the tunnels or whatever is down there. A108 has a core and it actually sits on piles driven deep into the ground also as do most of them.There are exceptions as per Aurora which i believe sits on a slab of bedrock with very little piles.
I can assure you that no way can you have the weight of two 250m towers sitting on tunnels below.The piles go way down past the side of the tunnels without touching them.The raft then sits on the piles...
Does someone actually want to provide some pictures of these mystery piles being installed?

If there were piles surely there would be rebar sticking up in this shot. How do they tie the slab into the piles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redden View Post
This is the last picture I can find of a piling machine working in the area. Can't see any piles other than those on the perimeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redden View Post

Last edited by HenryX; June 24th, 2019 at 04:17 PM.
HenryX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement