Railways and other Urban transit projects - Page 144 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Israeli Forums > Projects

Projects The latest news on architecture, towers and developments

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2019, 12:22 PM   #2861
FelixMadero
armatissimi & liberissimi

Likes (Received): 10484

Fourth Ayalon railway track underway

Adding the track, a highly complicated project, will allow more trains through Tel Aviv, but without a similar solution in Haifa the benefit will be limited.

After prolonged discussion, extending over nearly two decades in fact, the Ministry of Transport announced yesterday that work was underway on the fourth railway track along the Ayalon River. The project is being carried out through National Roads Company of Israel, which will work alongside operational tracks of Israel Railways. Adding a fourth track is vital for raising the frequency of trains on Israel Railways' busiest section, passing through Tel Aviv, through which trains will shortly run on additional routes, primarily the new line to Jerusalem. When the new track is completed, which is scheduled to happen in 2026, it will become possible to increase the frequency of trains in Tel Aviv from 14 to 26 an hour, and to reduce crowding at stations and on the trains themselves.

more: https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-f...nod-1001288315

Dr. Rabbit, thetophop liked this post
FelixMadero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2019, 05:04 PM   #2862
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 11777

2026!?

Dr. Rabbit liked this post
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2019, 10:20 AM   #2863
FelixMadero
armatissimi & liberissimi

Likes (Received): 10484

With luck and heaven's help!
FelixMadero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2019, 11:12 AM   #2864
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 11777

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixMadero View Post
With luck and heaven's help!
It is still hugely slow. 2026 would be OK if tendering would only start now, but if they already start building later this year, I find it horribly slow to go beyond 2023.
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2019, 07:29 PM   #2865
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
It is still hugely slow. 2026 would be OK if tendering would only start now, but if they already start building later this year, I find it horribly slow to go beyond 2023.
I think they have started the tender only for the infrastructure in Sharon Park. They still have to start the process for the changes required for highway 1 and for the track itself.
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2019, 09:13 AM   #2866
Ynhockey

Likes (Received): 7517

The western section of the JLRT's "gold line" has been approved by the LPC. It's all a bit confusing but this is the line that goes to the government complex. I thought it was already U/C but guess that's just the part that's on the green line's route.

TheMarker (Hebrew):
https://www.themarker.com/dynamo/cars/1.7327753

Dr. Rabbit liked this post
Ynhockey está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2019, 10:24 PM   #2867
GulliverTLV

Likes (Received): 29

74 additional TWINDEXX double-deckers will be delivered to Israel railways
https://rail.bombardier.com/en/newsr...exx-vario-d/en

Dr. Rabbit, Ynhockey, ronydimebag, Rivkin liked this post
GulliverTLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2019, 10:19 AM   #2868
Ynhockey

Ad video by Rami Haham with some Red Line tunnel footage:

Old June 9th, 2019, 07:47 PM   #2869
Ynhockey

New drone videos by the one and only Dudy Cohen.

Red Line works, Kiryat Aryeh Depot:

Red Line works, Nissenbaum (southern Bat Yam):

A1 electrification progress:

Old June 11th, 2019, 12:15 AM   #2870
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynhockey View Post
The western section of the JLRT's "gold line" has been approved by the LPC. It's all a bit confusing but this is the line that goes to the government complex. I thought it was already U/C but guess that's just the part that's on the green line's route.

TheMarker (Hebrew):
https://www.themarker.com/dynamo/cars/1.7327753
That's my guess:
The original plan was for a "campuses line", which was supposed to be based on 2 extensions to the red line- one to the Hebrew University campus at Givat Ram at the other to the campus at Mount Scopus.
My guess is that the idea behind the new plan is that the campus at Givat Ram is close to the main part of the Green Line anyway, so Mount Scopus will be served by an extension of the green line. The 2 proposed red-line extensions to the campuses are now replaced by this extension to the government offices and another, proposed extension to the Western Wall.

Ynhockey liked this post
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 09:43 AM   #2871
Ynhockey

Yes, that's precisely the case

Just thought that the Giv'at Ram section was already U/C, in fact I saw construction myself a couple of years ago on a visit. However, the U/C part is also part of the Green Line, so that must be it.
Old June 12th, 2019, 03:26 AM   #2872
shashka

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_shadow1 View Post
That's my guess:
The original plan was for a "campuses line", which was supposed to be based on 2 extensions to the red line- one to the Hebrew University campus at Givat Ram at the other to the campus at Mount Scopus.
My guess is that the idea behind the new plan is that the campus at Givat Ram is close to the main part of the Green Line anyway, so Mount Scopus will be served by an extension of the green line. The 2 proposed red-line extensions to the campuses are now replaced by this extension to the government offices and another, proposed extension to the Western Wall.
I've read about this supposed "Golden line" that will go along the eastern and southern walls of the Old City of Jerusalem to the Kotel but still can't figure out how the hell it well get there through Mount Zion...
shashka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 09:33 AM   #2873
Ynhockey

It's supposed to go next to the walls. I don't know how they will deal with the Armenian cemetery, but only a few meters are missing so I'm sure something can be worked out. Either that or a tunnel (poses new issues but if it's important enough they will resolve them).

Credit: JNet
Old June 12th, 2019, 04:23 PM   #2874
shashka

Quote:
It's supposed to go next to the walls. I don't know how they will deal with the Armenian cemetery, but only a few meters are missing so I'm sure something can be worked out. Either that or a tunnel (poses new issues but if it's important enough they will resolve them).

Credit: JNet
Right but where would it go next to the walls? Hativat Etsioni and then behind the Tomb of David? surely there is no room there
Old June 12th, 2019, 06:27 PM   #2875
matrix2020

Likes (Received): 2579

Back to Dudy Cohen's videos, I must say that I am really disappointed with the electrification progress.
I have also rode a train a couple of days ago and saw almost no change for the last month or so.
After Israel Katz lost interest (with him leaving office soon), it looks like nobody cares anymore about the project.
matrix2020 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 12:08 AM   #2876
Ynhockey

Quote:
Right but where would it go next to the walls? Hativat Etsioni and then behind the Tomb of David? surely there is no room there
A tiny sliver of the Armenian Cemetery would have to be removed, but it's still quite far from David's Tomb. Either that or a tunnel. It's also possible to make it a one-track section, which will probably not hurt headway considering the line will already be using the much busier Red Line's track, so I doubt we will see a headway of less than 6 minutes, more than good enough on one LRT track.
Old June 13th, 2019, 12:24 AM   #2877
shashka

Quote:
A tiny sliver of the Armenian Cemetery would have to be removed, but it's still quite far from David's Tomb. Either that or a tunnel. It's also possible to make it a one-track section, which will probably not hurt headway considering the line will already be using the much busier Red Line's track, so I doubt we will see a headway of less than 6 minutes, more than good enough on one LRT track.
There is zero shot that Israel is going to build a light rail line over that cemetery. Have you been to that area? The path that is called "Hativat Etsioni is quite narrow as it is and sandwiched in between the wall and the cemetery gate.

You can see here: https://www.google.com/maps/@31.7727...!7i2508!8i1254

How on earth can you fit a light rail line 😂
Old June 13th, 2019, 12:32 AM   #2878
Ynhockey

I actually visited the area quite recently. A light rail track needs less than 4 meters in width—about 3.6 m gross and 2.65 m net for Alstom Citadis—and the narrowest point of the path (just measured on Jlem's GIS site) is 4.2 m. So in theory one could place a line there without moving anything. However, if they still want to keep the pedestrian path, they will need to shave off a bit from the cemetery. It's bound to be very controversial, but not impossible to do.

Last edited by Ynhockey; June 13th, 2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old June 13th, 2019, 02:19 AM   #2879
shashka

Quote:
I actually visited the area quite recently. A light rail track needs less than 4 meters in width—about 3.6 m gross and 2.65 m net for Alstom Citadis—and the narrowest point of the path (just measured on Jlem's GIS site) is 4.2 m. So in theory one could place a line there without moving anything. However, if they still want to keep the pedestrian path, they will need to shave off a bit from the cemetery. It's bound to be very controversial, but not impossibl to do.
Exactly...and there's an old fence and gate surrounding the cemetery compound. I don't think that Israel can destroy it.

Another issue is that along the Western side of the wall (where the Golden line is supposed to pass) there are two steep slopes (one of them is the ascent to Mount Zion). To my untrained eye the slopes look too steep for light rail.

Unless they plan on tunneling through Mount Zion, I just can't picture what the engineers were thinking.
Old June 17th, 2019, 12:11 AM   #2880
ronydimebag

Likes (Received): 1034

New roof on southern side of Hashalom station starting to pop

Tags
infrastructure, israel, transportation