SEATTLE | 2019 Boren Ave | 44 Stories | 484 Feet - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2018, 05:02 AM   #21
Ruffhauser
Correspondent

Likes (Received): 9468

From todays DJC.

https://www.djc.com/news/ae/12116608.html

November 19, 2018

Holland, Weber Thompson show final design for 44-story tower

By BRIAN MILLER
Journal Staff Reporter

Holland Partner Group is ready to show its final design for a residential high rise at 2019 Boren Ave., a site it owns in the Denny Triangle.

The tower will include 47,675 square feet of offices in the podium for tenants likely to include Cornish College (one of the sellers). About 7,150 square feet of ground-floor arts space, also for Cornish, will be divided into a gallery space and a 180-seat performing arts hall.

Weber Thompson has pushed the podium 15 feet north from the property line to create what it calls a landscaped “gasket” between the old and new structures. Then the tower is pushed about 45 feet north atop the four-story podium.

There are also ground-floor setbacks to create more public amenity space along the sidewalks.

Cornish College will have a gallery and performing arts hall in the podium.

The tower at 2019 Boren will have 393 units, and underground parking for 369 vehicles.
Ruffhauser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2018, 06:20 PM   #22
cadre

Likes (Received): 847

Kinects Klone.

geoffloftus, dakotaskyscraper1 liked this post
cadre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 07:29 AM   #23
c33f
(none)

Likes (Received): 6320

11/20/2018 Recommendation Meeting: Conditional Approval

The Design Review Board liked the revisions to the project's design since the EDG Meeting and approved of 2019 Boren, with two conditions:
  1. The DRB would like the developer to explore more options and/or collaborate with Cornish directly to ensure the "gasket" structure between the historic building to the southeast does not consist of blank walls. In the Board's view, they did not feel like the "gasket" portion of the design fit in with the rest of the building and deliberated for a good 10 minutes on this item.
  2. The Board noted that the cladding in the notch on the office podium levels 2-4, above the residential entry that faces Boren Ave, looked too similar to the cladding of the residential amenity floor (level 5) above and requested that the architect look for ways to differentiate the two areas (top center of the first picture below).
Highlights:
  • The downsized office podium received praise from the DRB, which noted that the refined design, with only 4-5 stories in height, was more human scale. The Board also liked the differences in the design of the office entry (facing Lenora St) and the residential entry (facing Boren Ave).
  • The Board gave a green light to both versions of the landscape plan for this project, one, an earlier design already approved by SDOT and the "preferred" plan presented in the Recommendation Meeting, which had more public amenity spaces.
  • For the tower itself, the consolidation of the vertical stripes got a welcome reception and several Board members liked how the horizontal stripes on every two floors of the residential section helped break up the massing of the tower.
  • As a minor item, the DRB wished that the planter strip along Boren Ave would be reduced in length to give more space for pedestrians to walk, noting the existing limited sidewalk space at Boren Ave & Lenora St.
  • As a suggestion for the alleyway, the Board wanted the developer and architect to work with Cornish to formulate alternatives for pedestrian activation and for attractive public art.
  • There was no public comment at this meeting, though the room was pretty packed for a nighttime meeting less than 48 hours from Thanksgiving.
Podium Details: (Damaged, ignore the three pieces of tape at level 4)

Entire Model: (Damaged, ignore the tape at the top five floors)

Old November 21st, 2018, 05:38 PM   #24
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 3542

Someday could this city put "highlighting height and mass" above "breaking up height and mass"?

Mellowcircus liked this post
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 06:04 PM   #25
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 2055

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Someday could this city put "highlighting height and mass" above "breaking up height and mass"?
I thought that is what the tape was for. It's the most interesting part of the model.

iogeon, cameronrex, geoffloftus liked this post
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2018, 02:00 AM   #26
dakotaskyscraper1

Likes (Received): 145

Found another article on this project. Glad to see it move forward. The art space will be grand.

https://news.theregistryps.com/holla...nter-approved/

cameronrex, geoffloftus, jirgens, iogeon liked this post
dakotaskyscraper1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2019, 08:36 AM   #27
smerfylicious

Likes (Received): 2165

I like construction management plans. I also like seeing that the seattle process is so slow that none of them are ever right.

http://web6.seattle.gov/dpd/edms/Get...spx?id=4534331

April start eh? Maybe June.

geoffloftus, ZSuede, iogeon liked this post
smerfylicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2019, 09:22 AM   #28
Seattle206

Likes (Received): 114

Tedious.

cadre liked this post
Seattle206 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2019, 08:12 PM   #29
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 3542

This is a particularly exciting project because it's going to expand one of my favorite little districts while also helping tie the Triangle with SLU. Also at 44 stories most of the way up the little hill it'll stand out heightwise. And it's important space for Cornish including a performance element. And it's nearly 400 units. If it breaks ground soon I'll be giddy about it.
Old April 22nd, 2019, 12:19 AM   #30
smerfylicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
This is a particularly exciting project because it's going to expand one of my favorite little districts while also helping tie the Triangle with SLU. Also at 44 stories most of the way up the little hill it'll stand out heightwise. And it's important space for Cornish including a performance element. And it's nearly 400 units. If it breaks ground soon I'll be giddy about it.

The developers are very aggressive in their permitting action compared to others in the area. They're pretty far along with their MUP, shoring/excavation AND phased permits.

Pugetopolis, Darkhyperchaos liked this post
Old June 11th, 2019, 02:42 AM   #31
geoffloftus
Co-Czar

Likes (Received): 21071

Wait, hang on, what's this?!

The parking lot has closed. Fencing, a yellow thingy, and other indicia of construction have appeared...

geoffloftus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 02:48 AM   #32
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 2055

Is that all three parcels fenced off? Looks like maybe only two.
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 03:01 AM   #33
smerfylicious

Interesting. They're a bit of a ways away from starting construction. Director is about to publish the MUP decision...and they're probably a couple of correction rounds away from Shoring permit too.

I'd imagine an August or September start for this.

Edit: also according to the approved CMP, Holland will be making a construction website for this project the month before construction starts. I haven't been able to find one yet.

geoffloftus, Pugetopolis liked this post
Old June 11th, 2019, 04:41 AM   #34
HammerAndNail

Likes (Received): 682

Early utility work. Gary Merlino, whose no park and excavator that is, does utility work. I'm assuming there's something to relocate as well as a few things to cut and cap, all of which is required in advance of starting shoring/excavation.
Old June 11th, 2019, 10:08 AM   #35
Dancer

Likes (Received): 263

Im really excited about this project. The design is obviously nothing revolutionary but the hight will be great! Illl never forget when the Pan Pacific broke ground, thinking of the density that might one day fill in that area around Denny and Westlake. Damn Seattle is looking good!

Seasun, geoffloftus, Donnie Seahawk liked this post
Dancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 02:42 PM   #36
geoffloftus
Co-Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityView Jim View Post
Is that all three parcels fenced off? Looks like maybe only two.
It wasn't the whole site that was fenced off: just the northernmost, or possibly the northernmost two of the three parcels.

EDIT: after a careful comparison with Google maps, I think just the northernmost.
Old June 11th, 2019, 04:37 PM   #37
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 6074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer View Post
Im really excited about this project. The design is obviously nothing revolutionary but the hight will be great! Illl never forget when the Pan Pacific broke ground, thinking of the density that might one day fill in that area around Denny and Westlake. Damn Seattle is looking good!
Whole Foods/Pan Pacific and REI I remember wondering if they’d always be lone wolves in their neighborhood. I was quite wrong.

Donnie Seahawk, Dancer liked this post
Capitol Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 04:42 PM   #38
geoffloftus
Co-Czar

^ Don't be so hard on yourself, CH. You weren't wrong for wondering!

Capitol Hill liked this post
Old June 11th, 2019, 08:07 PM   #39
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
Whole Foods/Pan Pacific and REI I remember wondering if they’d always be lone wolves in their neighborhood. I was quite wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffloftus View Post
^ Don't be so hard on yourself, CH. You weren't wrong for wondering!

Capitol Hill, geoffloftus liked this post
BoulderGrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 11:19 AM   #40
Dancer

Likes (Received): 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
I kind of figured they would be adding more density with projects like Rollin Street and Enso. I never thought we would see 400'+. This 2019 Boren is almost 500' so thats a very pleasant surprise for sure!

Its been 2 years since I last visited Seattle so my next visit will be interesting. Cant wait to see the density and the vibe next time Im there!

geoffloftus, iogeon liked this post
Dancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement