Lewisham Regeneration | Lewisham | U/C - Page 52 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 100 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 15th, 2019, 06:45 PM   #1021
SE23 Man

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Wrong. Street on which buses run in London are maintained by the TfL, hence bus users pay for road maintenance. In fact TfL doesn't get any money from fuel duty so in London the car drivers are the "freeloaders"
Wrong, there are actually more roads in London on which buses go on that are maintained by the local Councils and not TFL. Its a common misconception that all roads with buses on are maintained by TFL. In Lewisham for example, take Brockley Rise, stondon Park, Woolstone Road, Dartmouth Road and countless others that all have buses on them and are all maintained by the local Council.

Fromthemurkydepths liked this post
SE23 Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2019, 06:47 PM   #1022
SE23 Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai83 View Post
No, they absolutely do not. Roads are funded either through general taxation where owned and operated by TFL, or by the local authority budgets derived from Council Tax. Motorists absolutely DO NOT pay for the right to drive on the roads. You could perhaps argue that the Congestion and ULEZ charges consitute a "tax" bu tthis is purely semantic and neither charge applies at this location.
What on earth are you talking about. Everyone who runs a car on the road has to pay car tax. I think you are trying to imply that I said that car tax is used to maintain the roads which is not what I said if you had read properly.
Old February 15th, 2019, 06:51 PM   #1023
SE23 Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresd View Post
How many of the people driving cars could take the bus, but choose not to? Quite a few, I suspect. I have absolutely no sympathy for car drivers whining about being stuck behind a bus. Would they rather be stuck behind 30 cars instead?
So if you had the choice you would rather sit at a bus stop and wait for a bus which could take absolutely ages to arrive and get on it for a bloody uncomfortable journey only to be dropped off somewhere that might not even be very close to your destination. I'd much rather get in my car at a time that is convenient to me and have my own space, air conditioning, heat and radio to listen to
Old February 15th, 2019, 06:53 PM   #1024
SE23 Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowater View Post
This is not a car versus bus argument, the buses are getting stuck in traffic too. I personally drive and take the bus and at neither time does the current road layout strike me as optimal. The buses pulling out from beside the DLR station get lodged in the traffic, although part of the problem appears to be bus drivers not respecting the yellow box.
Does anyone even know if bus drivers get fined for stopping in the yellow boxes like car drivers do ? Its only right that they should for equality. Do bus drivers even get fined when they go past speed cameras and get flashed ?
Old February 15th, 2019, 07:48 PM   #1025
tresd

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE23 Man View Post
So if you had the choice you would rather sit at a bus stop and wait for a bus which could take absolutely ages to arrive and get on it for a bloody uncomfortable journey only to be dropped off somewhere that might not even be very close to your destination. I'd much rather get in my car at a time that is convenient to me and have my own space, air conditioning, heat and radio to listen to
I'd rather have a regular, punctual bus service with a wide range of routes and destinations. Which is eminently possible if it's well-funded and well-used.

A public transport service that serves everybody's needs and keeps the city moving is more important than your personal desire to have your air conditioning and radio. There is not enough physical space in London for everyone to have their own personal car journey! Why should your needs be prioritised over everyone else's ?

geogregor, chris.haynes liked this post
tresd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2019, 08:18 PM   #1026
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 9935

Is that the smell of troll in the air?

geogregor, Bowater, Mr Cladding liked this post
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 04:22 AM   #1027
Bowater

Likes (Received): 493

Lewisham Regeneration | Lewisham | U/C

The time has finally come for me to like one of your posts DarJoLe, it has to happen eventually! : P
Bowater no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2019, 04:40 PM   #1028
roboheds

Likes (Received): 8

Approvals have been granted for both the Carpetright and the Retail park site opposite.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 03:57 PM   #1029
Fromthemurkydepths

Likes (Received): 195

I thought both already approved years ago though I believe some revision to Carpetright site? Was going to ask if a closing date for Sports Direct etc is known? Carpetright closed a while ago.

New Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Fromthemurkydepths no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2019, 08:10 PM   #1030
roboheds

Likes (Received): 8

Ah, fair enough, they popped up again on the Planning Portal weekly list. Maybe both have submitted material changes.

Still, suggests they're moving forward.

derekhales liked this post
roboheds no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2019, 03:30 PM   #1031
Fromthemurkydepths

Likes (Received): 195

Yep had a look into it and revised plans. Now 35 floors and all round a bit better. Demo on carpetright looks to have begun. It's using modular construction and they're hoping to build in just a year https://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk...s-to-progress/

New Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Jamsterx, golddex, Bylina liked this post
Fromthemurkydepths no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 03:07 PM   #1032
chris.haynes

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Yes because:

buses are cheaper to use
You have a good view from the top deck ( the journey is more enjoyable )
more convenient - no need to worry about parking
better for the environment / reduce traffic ( 1 less car on the road )

tresd liked this post
chris.haynes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 03:11 PM   #1033
Mr Cladding

Likes (Received): 12978

Construction of 500 flats at Lewisham Gateway to start next year

Quote:
Four towers will double the number of residential blocks on the site

Work on building the second phase of the multimillion-pound Lewisham Gateway scheme is due to start early next year.

More than 500 new flats are due to be built on the site next to Lewisham railway station in south-east London.

Four new towers ranging from three to 30 storeys in height will be built by Muse alongside a quartet of towers completed in 2017, also by Muse and now occupied
https://www.housingtoday.co.uk/news/...099637.article

derekhales, Bylina, Jeanf1990, Jamsterx liked this post
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 07:21 PM   #1034
chris.haynes

Quote:
What on earth are you talking about. Everyone who runs a car on the road has to pay car tax. I think you are trying to imply that I said that car tax is used to maintain the roads which is not what I said if you had read properly.
Actually, Vehicle Tax (it is not called Road Tax) does not directly contribute immediately to road maintenance funds - that is paid for directly by council tax and general income tax.

However, Vehicle Tax does indirectly contribute to road maintenance as part of the much wider government consolated fund.

That is why cyclists do not need to pay vehicle tax because the tax paid is not payable in order to have permission to use a road, it is for permission to use your vehicle.
Old June 11th, 2019, 09:04 PM   #1035
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Actually, a precursor to Road tax was originally introduced in the 1900s to pay for the roads. However with the rapid growth of the motor car and the demand for more and better roads, Road tax couldn't keep up with the additional cost. Thus in the 1930s it was detached from directly funding the roads, and used to indirectly fund road costs, with central and local government funding making up the difference.

Today however, with the national cost of road expenditure is £4.2Bn (2016/17), verses Road tax bringing in £5.8Bn (2016/17), it can indeed be argued that Road tax pays for the roads. Cyclists by contrast are getting a free ride and then some.

derekhales liked this post
Core Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 11:12 AM   #1036
chris.haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rising View Post
Actually, a precursor to Road tax was originally introduced in the 1900s to pay for the roads. However with the rapid growth of the motor car and the demand for more and better roads, Road tax couldn't keep up with the additional cost. Thus in the 1930s it was detached from directly funding the roads, and used to indirectly fund road costs, with central and local government funding making up the difference.

Today however, with the national cost of road expenditure is £4.2Bn (2016/17), verses Road tax bringing in £5.8Bn (2016/17), it can indeed be argued that Road tax pays for the roads. Cyclists by contrast are getting a free ride and then some.
I disagree with your point as that is not how it works, road tax is just one piece of the consolidated government fund so, therefore, it more directly pays for hospitals, schools etc first.

Road maintenance is paid by council tax and income tax as I said before so therefore everyone pays for the roads even if they are not using them - cyclists, bus and train passengers included.

Vehicle tax is a car tax - road tax does not exist, cycling reduces cars on the road and cars are bad for the environment.
Old June 12th, 2019, 11:31 AM   #1037
geogregor

Likes (Received): 38429

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.haynes View Post
cycling reduces cars on the road and cars are bad for the environment.
Not only that. Cycling doesn't damage roads which then need less maintenance. In fact any driver with a bit of brain should wish for more people to cycle. They would have less competition for road space from other cars (and let's face it roads won't be widened in London) as well as better quality roads surface.

Last edited by geogregor; June 12th, 2019 at 01:10 PM.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 11:59 AM   #1038
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 2332

The principle of taxation is that by default revenue isn't hypothecated, unless expressly otherwise stated, so it would be wrong to make any inference that 'drivers pay for roads and cyclists do not'.
Old June 12th, 2019, 01:12 PM   #1039
derekhales
Sir Derek "Killer" Hales

Likes (Received): 499

So when all you red light jumping, pavement hogging, lycra wearing, entitled saddle sore jockeys have finished... ANY new on any development in Lewisham?

thedurringtondoctor liked this post
derekhales no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 02:29 PM   #1040
chris.haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhales View Post
So when all you red light jumping, pavement hogging, lycra wearing, entitled saddle sore jockeys have finished... ANY new on any development in Lewisham?
I never jump red lights, or ride on the pavement (it is against the law ) - whenever I catch another cyclist doing that I tell them off and remind them that its unsafe and also illegal .... and what is wrong with lycra its aero-dynamic? - why should we care what we look like? - as long as drivers can see us clearly that's all that matters.

Regarding Lewisham development, there are a few schemes going through planning and consultation revisions and next phase of the gateway to start next year

Last edited by chris.haynes; June 13th, 2019 at 12:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gateway, lewisham, loampit, london, renaissance, vale

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: