SAA News and Developments - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Transport and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 8th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #21
juzzy

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by manox View Post
The new A320
Am I the only one that cant see the pic?
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #22
Durbs777

Likes (Received): 2

Cant see the pic either

The thing is though, if SAA really wanted to focus on having a young and competitive fleet, and be economical... then why not opt for the A330-200s earlier? I'm not referring the 6 new ones which are the HGW variants which are new, but even the older spec i'm sure will out-class the A340-300. They seem to have the same range.

I know SAA at one point had 2 ex-BMI A330-200s on lease for a short while... so they have experience with the type, and either way, Airbuses seem similar mechanically anyway, but they chose to purchase 2 ex-IBERIA A340-300s and i think an ex-Cathay Pacific one in the mix too. What would be the thinking here?
Durbs777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #23
Cigar

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbs777 View Post
Cant see the pic either

The thing is though, if SAA really wanted to focus on having a young and competitive fleet, and be economical... then why not opt for the A330-200s earlier? I'm not referring the 6 new ones which are the HGW variants which are new, but even the older spec i'm sure will out-class the A340-300. They seem to have the same range.

I know SAA at one point had 2 ex-BMI A330-200s on lease for a short while... so they have experience with the type, and either way, Airbuses seem similar mechanically anyway, but they chose to purchase 2 ex-IBERIA A340-300s and i think an ex-Cathay Pacific one in the mix too. What would be the thinking here?
A330s are more desirable and so more expensive and rare to lease. You can also get 40 more pax in an A340-300 than an A330-200. As a short-medium term solution they probably worked out to be the best deal.
Cigar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #24
manox

Likes (Received): 0

i am having problems loading pics...please help!!!
manox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #25
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 2551

You need to load them onto a site like flickr or photobucket first and then use that link to show them on here.
Old February 11th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #26
manox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysan1 View Post
You need to load them onto a site like flickr or photobucket first and then use that link to show them on here.
Thanks
Old February 11th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #27
manox

Old February 11th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #28
manox

[IMG]/www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6854934353/[/IMG]
Old February 11th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #29
juzzy

Likes (Received): 32

just post the link to the pic
Old February 11th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #30
manox

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6854927523/
Old February 12th, 2012, 05:27 AM   #31
wadeyshady1

Likes (Received): 11

SAA A320!
wadeyshady1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #32
Durbs777

Beautiful plane! Would be nice to see that livery on an A321 too!

Just for interest sake, are the first two A320s owned by SAA now or are they leased from Bank of China? And if so, how long is the lease for?
But more importantly, when does it enter service?
Old February 12th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #33
grjplanes

Likes (Received): 73

It seems first flights is scheduled from 24 February, at first just JNB-DUR
grjplanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #34
waltjie

Likes (Received): 97

They will NEVER be able to make it on their own!

Once AGAIN they need to be bailed out... This is one airline that will never by privatised, because they will fvcked within 3 months!

SA Airways has asked the government for a recapitalisation of about R6 billion to fund operational costs, growth strategy and fleet renewal, according to a report on Wednesday.

The requested funds would be in addition to the R1.3bn subordinated loan SAA already had from the government, Business Day reported.

It also included the company's R1.6bn "going concern" guarantee it obtained to underpin its money requirements after the Auditor General raised concern last year about its ability to generate cash to fund operations.

"This year we will have to go through the same process and the guarantee required will probably be higher," SAA chief financial officer Wolf Meyer was quoted as saying. He was addressing Parliament's public enterprises committee on Tuesday.

Meyer said SAA's weak balance sheet would also have to be fixed if it was going to finance growth and fleet renewal, the newspaper reported.

iafrica.com

Johannesburg - An African Class World City!
waltjie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #35
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 927

The DA has called for them to be privatised immediately. Is this a good or bad idea? Truth is, is SAA holding SA's airspace and connectivity to the world back, or is it positively contributing to our global connectivity? Is it good for Johannesburg and bad for everywhere else? Or is SAA a true national asset that we should help keep afloat? Will SA's domestic air-travel collapse without SAA?

Truth be told. I can't really see the argument for keeping SAA a money-sucking parastatal. Honestly, I think Kulula, SA Express, 1Time and VelvetSky, BAComair would expand exponentially if SAA were to collapse; rapidly filling the gap. I think international airlines who are subject to ACSA's protectionist SAA policies would also rapidly infiltrate the market and skies, filling a plethora of routes from all 3 of SA's international gateways.

I say... let them stand on their own. Clearly, their business model and routes are all wrong if they keep needing tax-payers money. Let them stand on their own and if they collapse, it's because they are just not good enough. If Virgin can exist in the presence of BA in the UK and QANTAS is Australia, then SAA have no excuse, they're babied like an infant by ACSA and asses wiped by taxpayers almost annually.

Just my opinion... I may be wrong, but I've had it with our national carrier.
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #36
waltjie

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by annman View Post
The DA has called for them to be privatised immediately. Is this a good or bad idea? Truth is, is SAA holding SA's airspace and connectivity to the world back, or is it positively contributing to our global connectivity? Is it good for Johannesburg and bad for everywhere else? Or is SAA a true national asset that we should help keep afloat? Will SA's domestic air-travel collapse without SAA?

Truth be told. I can't really see the argument for keeping SAA a money-sucking parastatal. Honestly, I think Kulula, SA Express, 1Time and VelvetSky, BAComair would expand exponentially if SAA were to collapse; rapidly filling the gap. I think international airlines who are subject to ACSA's protectionist SAA policies would also rapidly infiltrate the market and skies, filling a plethora of routes from all 3 of SA's international gateways.

I say... let them stand on their own. Clearly, their business model and routes are all wrong if they keep needing tax-payers money. Let them stand on their own and if they collapse, it's because they are just not good enough. If Virgin can exist in the presence of BA in the UK and QANTAS is Australia, then SAA have no excuse, they're babied like an infant by ACSA and asses wiped by taxpayers almost annually.

Just my opinion... I may be wrong, but I've had it with our national carrier.
+1!

SAA is nothing more than a government funded job creation scheme on a massive scale. Nothing more.

Johannesburg - An African Class World City!

Last edited by waltjie; February 15th, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
waltjie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #37
Durbs777

Add me as another to that stand! Its been a long time coming, and we've spoken at length about the stupid things SAA has done and continues to do. I think privatisation of them will be the best thing to happen for South African aviation. And if they really are good, there wont be any issues about their survival. People shouldn't complain about job losses if they go down,... because those jobs will be absorbed by the benefitting airlines that will grow. Well, most of them...

An "open-skies" policy is what SA needs! The government sings a fat song about how we have the greatest constituition in the world.... so lets extend that freedoms to the skies too! Take a look at Singapore..... open skies policy and yet Singapore Airlines still succeeds.
Old February 15th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #38
jpd2211

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjie View Post
Once AGAIN they need to be bailed out... This is one airline that will never by privatised, because they will fvcked within 3 months!

SA Airways has asked the government for a recapitalisation of about R6 billion to fund operational costs, growth strategy and fleet renewal, according to a report on Wednesday.

The requested funds would be in addition to the R1.3bn subordinated loan SAA already had from the government, Business Day reported.

It also included the company's R1.6bn "going concern" guarantee it obtained to underpin its money requirements after the Auditor General raised concern last year about its ability to generate cash to fund operations.

"This year we will have to go through the same process and the guarantee required will probably be higher," SAA chief financial officer Wolf Meyer was quoted as saying. He was addressing Parliament's public enterprises committee on Tuesday.

Meyer said SAA's weak balance sheet would also have to be fixed if it was going to finance growth and fleet renewal, the newspaper reported.

iafrica.com
I dont buy a word of this. The new CEO is actually doing a very good job and there is already an obvious turnaround - my experience of service in the sky has also improved a lot recently. They have raised quite a bit of cash privately as well.
jpd2211 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:54 AM   #39
manox

The second A320 arrived in Johannesburg on tuesday the 21st. she is in the hanger for paint job,......nice!
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:57 AM   #40
manox

Sponsored Links
Advertisement