KINSHASA City-Province General Construction. - Page 121 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > République Démocratique du Congo > Projects and Construction

Projects and Construction Developments in the DRC


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 20th, 2019, 02:41 PM   #2401
Pius
The Urban Man
 
Pius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,557
Likes (Received): 2706

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkiesse View Post
5 chantiers was a good initiative regardless even though it failed ( Inspired by the IMF.....it is based on 5 priority sectors recommended by IMF in a country's 1st phase of reconstruction....)

The main problem with Joka's 5 chantiers was lack of financing and time line of implementation..

Initially, Joka was confident he was going to get IMF backing in 2007 to implement them but when the IMF stalled, 5 chantiers was doomed..
Any development project is a good initiative (even Mobutu’s “objectif 80” was a good initiative) but the devil is the details; namely, the implementation. As far as I know, the IMF was not involved in the “5 chantiers” project. The latter was to be funded through the so-called “contract chinois” ($ 9 billion for minerals). The IMF blocked the deal as it feared that the DRC, future beneficiary of HIPC debt relief, would contract another debt in China. Although reduced to $6 billion, the Chinese reneged on liberating funds for Kabila’s project; they demanded that Congolese parliament voted a special law protecting their investment. They did not trust the notoriously corrupt Congolese government. In the absence of a special law, the deal collapsed (the infrastructure component).

That being said, the actual failure of “5 chantiers” was the inability of the regime to sustain the modicum of infrastructure they managed to build. 5 chantiers roads in Kinshasa and Bukavu are already in a state of decay due to lack of maintenance. The much publicized and bragged about “Hôpital du cinquantenaire” is almost dead on arrival. Managed by an Indian company, the hospital is not providing the promised quality care; VIPs are still being flown abroad for treatment at state expenses…
__________________

Umoja liked this post
Pius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old June 20th, 2019, 07:02 PM   #2402
Epaphras
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 960
Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pius View Post
They have given themselves a chance to do it again by rigging the elections which did not bring about the much hoped for regime change.
Absolutely! What is next now? The rule of chaos, uncertainty, fear and famine will continue unabated.
Epaphras no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 07:09 PM   #2403
Epaphras
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 960
Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pius View Post
Any development project is a good initiative (even Mobutu’s “objectif 80” was a good initiative) but the devil is the details; namely, the implementation. As far as I know, the IMF was not involved in the “5 chantiers” project. The latter was to be funded through the so-called “contract chinois” ($ 9 billion for minerals). The IMF blocked the deal as it feared that the DRC, future beneficiary of HIPC debt relief, would contract another debt in China. Although reduced to $6 billion, the Chinese reneged on liberating funds for Kabila’s project; they demanded that Congolese parliament voted a special law protecting their investment. They did not trust the notoriously corrupt Congolese government. In the absence of a special law, the deal collapsed (the infrastructure component).

That being said, the actual failure of “5 chantiers” was the inability of the regime to sustain the modicum of infrastructure they managed to build. 5 chantiers roads in Kinshasa and Bukavu are already in a state of decay due to lack of maintenance. The much publicized and bragged about “Hôpital du cinquantenaire” is almost dead on arrival. Managed by an Indian company, the hospital is not providing the promised quality care; VIPs are still being flown abroad for treatment at state expenses…
Thanks Pius for the clarity.
Epaphras no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2019, 01:14 PM   #2404
newkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: bruxelles/kinshasa
Posts: 355
Likes (Received): 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umoja View Post
DRC: Government hires developer for Maluku Special Economic Zone

The DRC government has just recruited a developer for the Maluku pilot Special Economic Zone (SEZ). To do this, the firm Strategos Group was selected as the developer of the pilot SEZ Maluku.

According to the Financial Implementation Unit for Fragile States (CPEF), a structure attached to the Ministry of Finance that provides this information, the selection of the developer was made after a competitive process. This selection is part of component 2 of the World Bank-funded Western Growth Cluster Development Project.

In a statement issued Monday, June 17 in Kinshasa, the CPEF reassured that the recruitment has been supported by a board of transactions of international reputation.

And to clarify: « Strategos Group thus becomes a private partner of the Government of the DRC, which will, through its activities, attract private investors on the SEZ, in order to support economic growth and job creation. To this end, it will have to develop the physical infrastructure and provide mutualizable services, in a secure land area of ​​211 hectares, benefiting from an attractive legal framework and simplified administrative procedures … « .

The Maluku pilot SEZ was created by Decree No. 12/021 of 16 July 2012. The site is located about 70 km north-east of Kinshasa, along the Congo River and near the Kinshasa-Kikwit road corridor. The total scope of the Maluku SEZ includes existing land around a former steelworks owned by a public company known as the Maluku Steel Company (Sosider).

Specialists attest that thanks to its multimodal position on the Kinshasa-Kikwit corridor, the SEZ will be a driving force for the growth poles project.



https://en.zoom-eco.net/development/...economic-zone/
Since it's a private investment, I have 100% faith in this project.
newkin está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2019, 07:37 PM   #2405
Pius
The Urban Man
 
Pius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,557
Likes (Received): 2706

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkin View Post
Since it's a private investment, I have 100% faith in this project.
In the case of another flagship project, the agro-industrial park of Bukanga Lonzo, Africom, too, was a private partner. Still, the project ended up crashing down due to the Congolese government’s failure to hold up its part of the bargain… If history is any indication, this project has a chance of succeeding only if the Congolese state is not involved at any stage.
Pius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2019, 08:28 PM   #2406
newkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: bruxelles/kinshasa
Posts: 355
Likes (Received): 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pius View Post
In the case of another flagship project, the agro-industrial park of Bukanga Lonzo, Africom, too, was a private partner. Still, the project ended up crashing down due to the Congolese government’s failure to hold up its part of the bargain… If history is any indication, this project has a chance of succeeding only if the Congolese state is not involved at any stage.
I know but the bukanga lonzo failed because it was more of like a public private partnership which required the gouvernment to actually spend alot of money, which I don't think is the case here. But like you said if the government is not involved in this then the project has every chance to succeed and I hope it will.

Last edited by newkin; June 22nd, 2019 at 10:54 AM.
newkin está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2019, 04:21 AM   #2407
kinkiesse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 1286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pius View Post
. As far as I know, the IMF was not involved in the “5 chantiers” project. The latter was to be funded through the so-called “contract chinois” ($ 9 billion for minerals). The IMF blocked the deal as it feared that the DRC, future beneficiary of HIPC debt relief, would contract another debt in China. Although reduced to $6 billion, the Chinese reneged on liberating funds for Kabila’s project; they demanded that Congolese parliament voted a special law protecting their investment. They did not trust the notoriously corrupt Congolese government. In the absence of a special law, the deal collapsed (the infrastructure component).

Â…
I Agree ....but Although IMF was not directly involved with the Joka's 5 chantiers, Joka's team was already anticipating those funds from the future HIPC debt relief and IMF triennial reconstruction program FRPC (for which 5 chantiers is modeled after) that follows it....to show Congolese they were doing something good for the country...thinking those funds would be available quickly during the early years of of their mandate......but both were delayed by IMF...DR Congo did not reach HIPC debt relief until 2010 and the IMF reconstruction program that followed during Matata's administration ended in 2012

When Joka was asked why he signed the "contract chinois" in one of his interviews, he explicitly answered that the IMF stalled in their financing pledges made during 2006 campaign and the Congolese people needed to see action. that's why they have to look for other alternatives....the Chinese..in this case..

The IMF initially refused to allow Dr Congo access HIPC relief as well as FRPC program after the contrat chinois was signed. It was not until a compromise deal was found between China, IMF, Dr Congo ,facilitated by the UK, whereby contrat chinois would be shaved off to a smaller $6 billion from $9 billions and at the same time DR Congo could continue its HIPC goal as well as the IMF reconstruction program that follows....

As result, DR Congo could eat at both sides again...but after reaching HIPC in 2010, the FRPC program that followed ended in 2012 as result of corruption the mining sector..

My point was just to say the original expected source of 5 chantiers financing ( although indirectly) was supposed to be the IMF reconstruction program.....but China was only picked as alternative when the latter stalled..


.

Last edited by kinkiesse; June 22nd, 2019 at 05:02 AM.
kinkiesse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2019, 08:23 AM   #2408
Pius
The Urban Man
 
Pius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,557
Likes (Received): 2706


There is a chronology problem here. The negotiations between the Kabila’s regime and the consortium of Chinese companies started right after the 2006 elections to be concluded on September 17, 2007. Kabila could not seriously pretend that he had recourse to the Chinese solution because the IMF did not deliver on the pledge to finance his program after the elections...
Pius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2019, 10:10 PM   #2409
kinkiesse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 1286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pius View Post

There is a chronology problem here. The negotiations between the Kabila’s regime and the consortium of Chinese companies started right after the 2006 elections to be concluded on September 17, 2007. Kabila could not seriously pretend that he had recourse to the Chinese solution because the IMF did not deliver on the pledge to finance his program after the elections...
In Joka's team calculations, Dr Congo should have reached point d'achevement HIPC in 2006 and start FRPC right after that. But the IMF stalled, most likely because Joka was also pursuing early on the policy "revisitation des contrats miniers" against Western mining companies from the end of 2nd Congo war.....which clearly targeted some big American companies...

Prof Lumbi, the architect of the contrat chinois, only went to China secretly to negotiate at around June/July of 2007...
kinkiesse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2019, 11:33 PM   #2410
Pius
The Urban Man
 
Pius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,557
Likes (Received): 2706

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkiesse View Post
In Joka's team calculations, Dr Congo should have reached point d'achevement HIPC in 2006 and start FRPC right after that. But the IMF stalled, most likely because Joka was also pursuing early on the policy "revisitation des contrats miniers" against Western mining companies from the end of 2nd Congo war.....which clearly targeted some big American companies...

Prof Lumbi, the architect of the contrat chinois, only went to China secretly to negotiate at around June/July of 2007...
As I understand it, Kabila’s people started negotiating with the Chinese irrespective of the negotiations between the DRC and the IMF in the hope that the latter would not object to it since it was not a commercial debt but a barter deal (infrastructure for minerals). They knew that under the HIPC debt relief program the DRC could not contract new debts. Logically, if it was the frustration vis-à-vis the IMF that led them to negotiate with the Chinese, they would have dropped the HIPC debt relief program altogether.
Pius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 07:26 PM   #2411
kinkiesse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 1286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pius View Post
As I understand it, Kabila’s people started negotiating with the Chinese irrespective of the negotiations between the DRC and the IMF in the hope that the latter would not object to it since it was not a commercial debt but a barter deal (infrastructure for minerals). They knew that under the HIPC debt relief program the DRC could not contract new debts. Logically, if it was the frustration vis-à-vis the IMF that led them to negotiate with the Chinese, they would have dropped the HIPC debt relief program altogether.
Logically Right but the intent here was to get the quickest access to funds to finance reconstruction within 5 year mandate. Attaining HIPC goal is still important given it would cancel debt interest payments worth $500 million that Congo pays every year on a $1 billion internal revenues...(rest of $4 billion budget was covered by donors)

Negotiating the deal as a troc in their minds allows to reach both goals. I believe in one of the interviews, Joka mentioned it was inspired by the Chinese-Angola model. But pumping oil is different than extracting minerals at sites not currently under exploitation...

The contrat chinois, although it was a troc deal, still carried some risk taking for the Chinese as well as Congolese sides .. For example, In case of mineral reserves at given sites were not adequate, Congolese had to find alternate ways to compensate, etcc.....
kinkiesse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 09:52 PM   #2412
Pius
The Urban Man
 
Pius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,557
Likes (Received): 2706

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkiesse View Post
Logically Right but the intent here was to get the quickest access to funds to finance reconstruction within 5 year mandate. Attaining HIPC goal is still important given it would cancel debt interest payments worth $500 million that Congo pays every year on a $1 billion internal revenues...(rest of $4 billion budget was covered by donors)

Negotiating the deal as a troc in their minds allows to reach both goals. I believe in one of the interviews, Joka mentioned it was inspired by the Chinese-Angola model. But pumping oil is different than extracting minerals at sites not currently under exploitation...

The contrat chinois, although it was a troc deal, still carried some risk taking for the Chinese as well as Congolese sides .. For example, In case of mineral reserves at given sites were not adequate, Congolese had to find alternate ways to compensate, etcc.....
In any case, the deal with the Chinese shows how irresponsible, reckless and dangerous Kabila and his cronies were (and still are) for the country. Even a freshman could see that they were selling out the country’s resources for short-term political interests. Even if the Chinese were to construct the needed infrastructure, Kabila’s cronies could not guarantee its sustainability to make it useful for the long-term development of the country. The constructed infrastructure (probably white elephants) would have decayed due to lack of maintenance and the DRC would still be paying back billions of dollars in form of minerals.
This deal was never discussed in the Council of Ministers where all risks could be evaluated, but it was the Kabila’s parallel government that conducted the negotiations in all secrecy. Felix is making the same mistake by unilaterally involving the country in the EAC without prior national debate on the subject.
Pius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2019, 11:45 AM   #2413
Umoja
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kinshasa
Posts: 9,113
Likes (Received): 6719

Residential project in Kinshasa: Jewel of Kinshasa







__________________

newkin, kinkiesse, Trickystar liked this post
Umoja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2019, 03:15 PM   #2414
newkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: bruxelles/kinshasa
Posts: 355
Likes (Received): 530

Avancé des travaux de 100 jours

newkin está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2019, 08:39 PM   #2415
Umoja
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kinshasa
Posts: 9,113
Likes (Received): 6719

DRC: Cobil SA has a modern headquarters in Kinshasa



Cobil SA has a modern building to house its headquarters in the Congo. The inauguration took place this Friday, June 28, in the commune of Gombe, Kinshasa business center. It is a five-storey building equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and comfortable furniture. Objective: to offer its staff an optimal professional framework to boost their performance.

In his presentation, Guillaume Bolenga, General Manager of Cobil SA, returned to the modern character of this building offering a modern framework for a friendly work both in individual and team.

"This building was intentionally clad in an architectural form symbolizing the unfinished. While its foundation has been calculated to carry up to seven levels, this building has only five. The last level did not have a roof to stay open to the sky. Because wanted as a symbol of both the cornerstone and the climax of the history of Cobil ... ", he revealed.

Beyond its strengths in line with the new information and communication technologies for both professional and security needs, the General Manager of Cobil SA continued his word by tracing the path of this company.

To him to specify: "it emerges this small inner voice reminding us that the whole history that we celebrated today the most brilliant manifestation could not have been the one that it was if it had not been especially the attention and the care As well as the stability necessary for its recovery, which Cobil SA has been able to benefit from its shareholder for many years, I have quoted the Congolese State, represented here by the Minister of the Portfolio. "

This was followed by the cut of the inaugural ribbon of this building by Portfolio Minister Wivine Mumba Matipa in the presence of the members of the Board of Directors, the Management Committee, the officers and executives, as well as distinguished guests involved in the project. the oil sector.

If for the Minister of the Portfolio this ceremony marks the effective take-off of Cobil SA, it also testifies to the managerial capacity of the management team of this state company whose rigor in management gave birth to this work with visible impact.

"What Cobil SA has accomplished is nothing more than the result of the sound management of the state's assets ... I wish and hope to see Cobil SA's work become an example to follow for many public enterprises, "she recommended.

The Minister of the Wallet has expressed her wish to see nationals get involved in the management of this strategic sector under the sovereignty of the State. This is why she encouraged Cobil SA to increase its market share by 15%.

...

Quote:
RDC : Cobil SA se dote d’un siège social moderne à Kinshasa

Cobil SA s’est doté d’un bâtiment moderne pour abriter son siège social en Rd Congo. L’inauguration est intervenue, ce vendredi 28 juin, dans la commune de la Gombe, centre des affaires de Kinshasa. Il s’agit d’un immeuble de cinq niveaux équipé de matériels dotés d’une technologie de pointe et de mobiliers confortables. Objectif : offrir à son personnel un cadre professionnel optimal afin de booster leur performance.

Dans sa présentation, le directeur général de Cobil SA, Guillaume Bolenga, a est revenu sur le caractère moderne de cette bâtisse offrant un cadre moderne pour un travail convivial tant en individuel qu’en équipe.

...
https://zoom-eco.net/a-la-une/rdc-co...ne-a-kinshasa/
__________________

kinkiesse liked this post
Umoja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2019, 08:59 PM   #2416
kinkiesse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 1286

It is time to create other business centers around Kinshasa.....We cannot have all businesses set up only Gombe....or Gombe commune would get congested very soon..
kinkiesse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2019, 07:36 PM   #2417
newkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: bruxelles/kinshasa
Posts: 355
Likes (Received): 530

Ngaliema, Nsele and Maluku are good places
__________________

kinkiesse liked this post
newkin está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2019, 03:48 PM   #2418
Umoja
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kinshasa
Posts: 9,113
Likes (Received): 6719

The Pediatric Surgery Center Olive Lembe Kabila

Umoja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2019, 09:29 PM   #2419
Umoja
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kinshasa
Posts: 9,113
Likes (Received): 6719

Soon we will have full possession of our site and begin construction of our new High Command Embassy Complex near Gombe Hall. So exciting!



__________________

kinkiesse liked this post
Umoja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Tags
kinshasa

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us