Worst "Best" Skylines - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers
» Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 11th, 2019, 09:05 PM   #1
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!

Likes (Received): 3101

Worst "Best" Skylines

I've noticed that there are many posts on this thread, which is currently the most prominent "best skylines" thread on SkyscraperCity, that show a whole bunch of bland, look-alike photos of cities with bland, look-alike buildings like Manila, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, etc. I'm not saying that these skylines are bad, I've just noticed that the majority of posts showing these cities tend to be quite boring.

So, this thread is for posting cities that are considered "best" by many, but that you personally could care less for.

I'll start off with Jakarta.

Jakarta Afternoon by Abdul Azis, on Flickr

Most photos of Jakarta that I've seen show a bunch of box-shaped skyscrapers, with maybe one interesting skyscraper (i.e. Wisma 46).

Thorondor liked this post
A Chicagoan está en línea ahora  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2019, 09:19 PM   #2
lun_calvin

Likes (Received): 23

American will think all their cities r the best..Other r worst or can't compare to America especially Asian cities..For me I also can say Chicago don't have any iconic tower , a so boring city..
lun_calvin no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2019, 09:23 PM   #3
lun_calvin

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Chicagoan View Post
Houston

Downtown Houston Skyline 03272019 - Near Northside by Mabry Campbell, on Flickr

You know, I think I've just decided on my 3rd (2nd?) favorite skyline in the United States!
Haha this kind of quatity & height building how can beat Jakarta , Manila , Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur?
lun_calvin no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2019, 12:26 AM   #4
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lun_calvin View Post
Haha this kind of quatity & height building how can beat Jakarta , Manila , Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur?
Quantity and height aren't everything in a skyline. Look at the unique architectural value of the Bank of America Center, the Wells Fargo Plaza, and how all of the different architectural styles complement each other. I don't see much more than bland white boxes in Jakarta and Manila with one or two interesting buildings poking out of the misery.

Plus, that picture was posted in the thread for North American skylines. I wouldn't post Houston in the World's Best Skylines thread any day.

redcode liked this post
A Chicagoan está en línea ahora  
Old May 12th, 2019, 12:30 AM   #5
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!

Quote:
American will think all their cities r the best..Other r worst or can't compare to America especially Asian cities..For me I also can say Chicago don't have any iconic tower , a so boring city..
Ummm . . .

Willis (Sears) Tower, Chicago by globetrekimages, on Flickr

John Hancock Center by Vlasta Juricek, on Flickr

Tribune Tower by Wei Ping Teoh, on Flickr

Your comment has made me prouder than ever to see the American flag flying on top of that beautiful building.

Also, I never said anything about American skylines being better, or about Asian skylines being bad. Just sayin'.
Old May 12th, 2019, 01:34 AM   #6
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!

In my first post, I actually chose a pretty good picture of Jakarta. A typical picture of Jakarta that I've seen is more like this.

Jakarta haze by Rebecca Johnson, on Flickr

You can tell why this would get old.
Old May 12th, 2019, 01:54 AM   #7
cubsfan

Likes (Received): 207

Quote:
It's not a bias against cities in other countries. It's just that those cities lack the diverse landscape with gems from every style & period dating back to the origin of skyscrapers that New York and Chicago offer. Hyper-dense seas of repetitive structures juxtaposed against freakishly out-of-scale glassy mega-talls isn't a truly dynamic urban setting to most Americans. Design, scale, organization, history, balance and diversity/contrast are all critical values for a skyline's impact. Americans don't relate to Dubai's endless stretch of super-talls or commie blocks as far as the eye can see.

Miami has the third most skyscrapers in the U.S. and it's rarely talked about as being a great skyscraper city because it's a sea of similar buildings that blend together and creates a boring landscape. If Miami's skyline tripled in size and added a few mega-talls you'd have your typical Asian megalopolis and it would still rank lower than New York or Chicago in the eyes of most Americans.

A Chicagoan, redcode, Thorondor liked this post
cubsfan no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2019, 08:17 AM   #8
Kadzman

Likes (Received): 766

This thread is not contributing anything positive to the discussion of skylines, architecture, and skyscraper culture. I can see a flame war looming.

Closed Thread