Kolkata | Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport | CCU - Page 728 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Aviation and Airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2019, 03:57 PM   #14541
alejandro-leon

Likes (Received): 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincibletiger View Post
On the other hand, hotels and food are extremely cheap. I had gone to Siem Reap on a solo trip for 6D/5N about two years back. This is what I had incurred:

Visa - $30
Angkor Pass - $62
Tuk tuk and tours - $74 (4 tours + airport drop)
Stay - $65
Food and Drinks - $53 (a can of beer was half a dollar)
Gifts and Souvenirs - $70

Leaving aside the gifts/souvenirs, my total expense excluding airfare was USD 284.
OK, so REP is a potential candidate from CCU. What else might be a good candidate? I don't think CCU is ready for JKT or DPS given the recent Air Asia failed experiment unless 6E routes in connecting traffic.
alejandro-leon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2019, 04:30 PM   #14542
dipu8013

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsDK View Post
How are these different from giving to clubs for arranging Durga Puja and other popular hindu festivals? Or arranging big procession for Durga Puja immersion? Are we equally angry that she approved state holiday for Chat Pujo? Spending state money for pandering to Matua community?

Are we only seeing her pandering to minority because we expect everyone to pander to majority?

Lastly, I am not sure how much money state spent on Hajj and how much is coming from Waqf board. Does any one know?

Sorry for extending this here. My apologies.

thank you for the governor correction. and like i said, i don't believe most of them to be pandering. but something the majority of bengal does. This can go on and on, and i can say that i have nothing more to contribute. I believe before anyone else tells us in a not so polite way to stop the political talk, we should stop this on our own.
dipu8013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 05:53 PM   #14543
nmin

Likes (Received): 3751

Quote:
Originally Posted by alejandro-leon View Post
OK, so REP is a potential candidate from CCU. What else might be a good candidate? I don't think CCU is ready for JKT or DPS given the recent Air Asia failed experiment unless 6E routes in connecting traffic.
If DPS failed means REP will fail too. DPS has much more Indian connection than REP. You can see all Indian/Hindu names for Indonesian people, attractions, even Ganesh Temples, etc are there in DPS.

Also Indonesia is a free VoA country with paltry entry fee for attractions.

nmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 06:57 PM   #14544
dipu8013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmin View Post
If DPS failed means REP will fail too. DPS has much more Indian connection than REP. You can see all Indian/Hindu names for Indonesian people, attractions, even Ganesh Temples, etc are there in DPS.

Also Indonesia is a free VoA country with paltry entry fee for attractions.
Can the DPS failure be attributed to low yield because of CCU pax itself?

I mean, I took this route in 2017 and the plane was full. had it not for Mt Agung, i don't think DPS route would have been hit at all, atleast from my observation
Old July 11th, 2019, 11:16 PM   #14545
alejandro-leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipu8013 View Post
Can the DPS failure be attributed to low yield because of CCU pax itself?

I mean, I took this route in 2017 and the plane was full. had it not for Mt Agung, i don't think DPS route would have been hit at all, atleast from my observation
That incident is long over. When the Icelandic volcano (that nobody can pronounce) erupted, a lot of trans Atlantic flights were affected, that does not mean trans Atlantic traffic never recovered. The volcanic eruption might have been the immediate cause but if the route had a good yield it's more than likely that the flight would have resumed. Like I point out continuously, no foreign airlines has any animosity with CCU (maybe AI's AMD-LHR flight is a political gimmick but BA's withdrawal of CCU-LHR flight is not), if there is commercially viable demand, airlines would fly. If your observation is based on a single flight you took on that sector, that is statistically insignificant.

Last edited by alejandro-leon; July 12th, 2019 at 03:25 AM.
Old July 12th, 2019, 07:47 AM   #14546
dipu8013

Quote:
That incident is long over. When the Icelandic volcano (that nobody can pronounce) erupted, a lot of trans Atlantic flights were affected, that does not mean trans Atlantic traffic never recovered. The volcanic eruption might have been the immediate cause but if the route had a good yield it's more than likely that the flight would have resumed. Like I point out continuously, no foreign airlines has any animosity with CCU (maybe AI's AMD-LHR flight is a political gimmick but BA's withdrawal of CCU-LHR flight is not), if there is commercially viable demand, airlines would fly. If your observation is based on a single flight you took on that sector, that is statistically insignificant.
The Eyjafjallakol or something volcano?

I guess you are right. We can only hope to see more international connections at CCU. till then, we are all on the same boat
Old July 13th, 2019, 07:21 PM   #14547
Suncity
By the ocean

Likes (Received): 17824

Quote:
if i remember correctly, something along the lines of these happened last year where even Tathagatha Roy, the CM of Meghalaya, chimed in?
It hardly matters what a governor of another state tweets unless he can actually put in some real effort to make the runway happen considering he is supposedly a high up BJP party member (or maybe just a sidelined motor mouth).

Quote:
I will try to link newspaper links after i look them up, but i guess the forumers here definitely know more about these than i do.
You will possibly not find any because what you claimed about the CM probably didn't happen.

In the end it is the AAI's task to manage Kolkata Airport whether it is cleaning the bathrooms or polishing the floors or maintaining counter spaces or changing lights or removing places of worship. Let's see the AAi role out an official plan first. I am sure it will get full backing of the central government. I am sure a majority of people will back such an issue if it can be proven to be a real security and safety issue.

Quote:
A secular country should not spend a single dime for haj.
A secular country should not spend any public/tax payers' money on any religious activity. Period. There are enough private funds for religious activities. And lots of rich people who want to atone their sins.
Old July 15th, 2019, 10:11 AM   #14548
PK100

Likes (Received): 4

Guys, am passing through Kolkata International Airport in the month of November, coming from Guwahati. There will be a layover of several hours. Any tips on what to buy, eat etc? Thanks in advance.
PK100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2019, 04:07 PM   #14549
RajBan

Likes (Received): 7

Looking for some infyy on Domestic lounge usage at Calcutta airport. I have complementary lounge access provided by my Mastercard and I am able to use it at Bangalore and Hyderabad without any charge. Do we have similar option at Calcutta airport. If yes then where is the domestic lounge access point?

Also is inline baggage checking active now do we need to scan it seperately?
RajBan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2019, 08:13 PM   #14550
Chuckles960

Likes (Received): 134

Inline baggage x-ray, which was active for international departures for the last couple of years, is "no longer working" and I had to have checked luggage scanned before check-in (14 July, QR).
Chuckles960 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2019, 10:53 PM   #14551
dipu8013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles960 View Post
Inline baggage x-ray, which was active for international departures for the last couple of years, is "no longer working" and I had to have checked luggage scanned before check-in (14 July, QR).
being upgraded to 3D scanning along with maiden operations in domestic. is to go operational from august mid.

NiladriG liked this post
Old July 16th, 2019, 05:34 PM   #14552
alejandro-leon

Any updates on the AI inaugural DXB-CCU flight? Are there any gate agents, ramp agents, check-in agents, flight attendants in this group or just keyboard warriors and plane enthusiasts? In our Chicago Facebook group we have people close to the action and get a whole lot of updates about new flights, loads etc.
Old July 16th, 2019, 08:08 PM   #14553
ChennaiPlaneSpotter

Likes (Received): 3945

Quote:
Any updates on the AI inaugural DXB-CCU flight? Are there any gate agents, ramp agents, check-in agents, flight attendants in this group or just keyboard warriors and plane enthusiasts? In our Chicago Facebook group we have people close to the action and get a whole lot of updates about new flights, loads etc.
A couple of pics were put out by AI earlier today.

vaidya liked this post
ChennaiPlaneSpotter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2019, 08:23 PM   #14554
itsDK

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK100 View Post
Guys, am passing through Kolkata International Airport in the month of November, coming from Guwahati. There will be a layover of several hours. Any tips on what to buy, eat etc? Thanks in advance.
Inside the airport, Biswa Bangla store is good.
itsDK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2019, 06:04 AM   #14555
vaidya

Likes (Received): 1444

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajBan View Post
Looking for some infyy on Domestic lounge usage at Calcutta airport. I have complementary lounge access provided by my Mastercard and I am able to use it at Bangalore and Hyderabad without any charge. Do we have similar option at Calcutta airport. If yes then where is the domestic lounge access point?

Also is inline baggage checking active now do we need to scan it seperately?
After check in before you head towards the security check point, head to the upper floor where you will find a few restaurants and bars. Take the escalator(it is on the extreme left hand corner, as far as I can remember). Immediately you will find the Copper Chimney Restaurant(never tried it) so cant comment on it. From there, you turn left, immediately you will find The Irish House Pub. You can have a chilled mug of beer(will work as an appetizer, although it prices pretty high around Rs.550 per 500ml mug). You also get alcoholic beverages in the lounge itself but i would strongly recommend having it at the Pub. The big mug is itself chilled to perfection making the beer taste more better. And when you are travelling on a hot summer afternoon( which i was), nothing could've been more perfect than this. I didnt regret paying 500 Rs. for the mug of beer. Next to the Pub is the Travel Club lounge. Once you finish the formalities by swiping your card, showing your boarding pass, etc. head towards the buffet counter, and hopefully after that i dont need to give you any more suggestions. They also give you the WiFi password in case you need one. And most importantly, keep a tab on the time as you may miss your flight by having a nice time in the lounge completely forgetting that there is a flight waiting for you.

Last edited by vaidya; July 17th, 2019 at 06:12 AM.
vaidya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2019, 06:40 AM   #14556
RajBan

Likes (Received): 7

Thank you. It's nice description.
RajBan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2019, 06:58 AM   #14557
Kunal Gupta

Likes (Received): 595

Quote:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/70252283.cms

Looks like more flights to DAC from CCU are on the anvil - may be a Dubai connect for all you know.
Kunal Gupta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2019, 08:48 AM   #14558
DebjyotiSamKolkata

Likes (Received): 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunal Gupta View Post
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/70252283.cms

Looks like more flights to DAC from CCU are on the anvil - may be a Dubai connect for all you know.
Nice occupancy, 137/162? And 50k people from Cal travel to Dubai every year, so there's actually a good chance of more connections
DebjyotiSamKolkata no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2019, 05:31 AM   #14559
alejandro-leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebjyotiSamKolkata View Post
Nice occupancy, 137/162? And 50k people from Cal travel to Dubai every year, so there's actually a good chance of more connections
50,000 a year equates to 137 a day. That's a pretty low number given that there are 763 seats available on a daily basis. Will be interesting to see how does the flight do.
Old July 19th, 2019, 01:33 PM   #14560
Sanmay

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
50,000 a year equates to 137 a day. That's a pretty low number given that there are 763 seats available on a daily basis. Will be interesting to see how does the flight do.
Surely there is a mistake in counting. If you see the DGCA stats only for one quarter (http://dgca.nic.in/pub/international...2019/PDF/4.pdf), passengers originating from CCU (one way only) is 46743.

This makes it 98% load factor with emirates 777-W seat capacity and 11 flights a week.

NiladriG, ayan92 liked this post
Sanmay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
airline, airport, calcutta, ccu, domestic, dumdum, flight, international, kolkata, kolkata airport, nscbi, terminal