Northgate Development News and Photos - Page 16 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2019, 05:56 AM   #301
mSeattle

Likes (Received): 1024

It's eye-opening, connecting the dots.
mSeattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 25th, 2019, 06:16 AM   #302
smerfylicious

Likes (Received): 2743

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSeattle View Post
It's eye-opening, connecting the dots.

Or we could just do a bit deeper of a dive and notice that TransLink not only partners with private companies and gives away the land...they also design the TOD that is to be built and get it through the permitting process through the AID program.

They have entire sections of their websites dedicated to this.

Basically they do all of the work prior to putting shovels into the ground, then hand the project over to the developer at no cost to build the thing that they want.
smerfylicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2019, 06:41 AM   #303
mSeattle

TransLink benefits from Canada's universal healthcare which plays a part in the penciling out process for all organizations and companies involved. They can do things in ways that counterparts down here can't. Do they have difference in land acquisition/property-transfer laws for public agencies? I don't know.
Old August 25th, 2019, 07:13 AM   #304
smerfylicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSeattle View Post
TransLink benefits from Canada's universal healthcare which plays a part in the penciling out process for all organizations and companies involved. They can do things in ways that counterparts down here can't. Do they have difference in land acquisition/property-transfer laws for public agencies? I don't know.

Their corporate tax rate is also 6-11% lower than the US. I imagine that plays quite the part as well. With that lower tax rate I'm sure they can do things in ways that counterparts here can't.
Old August 25th, 2019, 07:20 AM   #305
mSeattle

Yes, but it's something that a public agency can be the catalyst to the degree that it is up there, where they can't down here.
Old August 25th, 2019, 07:32 AM   #306
araman0
Purdue U. / Marquette U.

Likes (Received): 803

One important factor is that Canadians are far less adverse to high rises in general, especially residential high rises. Look at any metro area in BC above 100,000 and they have high rises sprouting all over the place. The larger metros all have high rises in each of their neighborhoods as well as suburban centers. They don’t even need to be in the vicinity of rail. I haven’t been able to figure out how this is so much easier to do in Canada. In contrast zoning in Capital Hill, Seattle’s densest neighborhood, specifically bans high rises.

geoffloftus, mhays, cadre liked this post
araman0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2019, 11:22 PM   #307
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 839

Quote:
Originally Posted by araman0 View Post
One important factor is that Canadians are far less adverse to high rises in general, especially residential high rises. Look at any metro area in BC above 100,000 and they have high rises sprouting all over the place. The larger metros all have high rises in each of their neighborhoods as well as suburban centers. They don’t even need to be in the vicinity of rail. I haven’t been able to figure out how this is so much easier to do in Canada. In contrast zoning in Capital Hill, Seattle’s densest neighborhood, specifically bans high rises.
It's cultural. Canada is a commonwealth and are less hyper-individualistic when compared to the USA. It's the same reason they have their healthcare system, their social programs, their gun laws etc. They often implement policies that seeks to avert the 'tragedy of the commons.'

Mellowcircus liked this post
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 01:21 AM   #308
cadre

Likes (Received): 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by smerfylicious View Post
Their corporate tax rate is also 6-11% lower than the US. I imagine that plays quite the part as well. With that lower tax rate I'm sure they can do things in ways that counterparts here can't.

I believe Canada’s corporate tax rate has been 26.5% for several years, while the corporate tax rate in the USA has been 21%, before loopholes, since 2018.
cadre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 01:52 AM   #309
smerfylicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadre View Post
I believe Canada’s corporate tax rate has been 26.5% for several years, while the corporate tax rate in the USA has been 21%, before loopholes, since 2018.

Here's an interesting overview of the corporate tax system in Canada:

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/corpor...-guide-2948056

And here's an article arguing that the effective tax rate for large corporation hovers at an "abysmal" 16%.

https://business.financialpost.com/o...ate-tax-reform

Basically if you're a Canadian company, you have metric tons of advantages to push your tax rate into the low-teens.

We can also look at Canada's much lower payroll tax rate for corporations, where they are charged an average of 2%, compared to US where the standard is 7.65%.
Old August 26th, 2019, 02:39 AM   #310
cadre

Likes (Received): 909

Northgate Development News and Photos

I don’t think it’s useful to compare the measly real taxes corporations pay in either country. Taxes don’t drive business decisions. Canadians incorporate high rises into urban malls and transportation nodes because it make economic, environmental and infrastructure sense. We don’t because of of a relatively toothless public sector, nimbyism, and less vision in the Seattle development community.

EeePC liked this post

Last edited by cadre; August 26th, 2019 at 07:20 AM.
cadre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement