The A1 and A1(M) - Dualling North of Newcastle & "Completing the Motorway" from the South, plus Western Bypass sections, etc - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:57 AM   #21
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 776

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
although you're right things are a bit more gothic-centric than that. my girlfriend is from ... newcastle! perhaps if government ministers like adonis were from newcastle then newcastle would get better transport links. generally the constituencies of senior ministers tend to benefit hugely from the fact they have their mps as ministers. just look at what was lavished on huntingdon or hull to see what i mean, or listen to the jokes on yes minister about why there were two motorways from london to oxford and none to cambridge from london (i know this is factually incorrect).
No I think not, Blair prided himself for being from the NE, despite being born in Edinburgh, yet still gave very little to his constituencie and the NE. Their are some MP's who do go out and give back to their constituencies, but it seems that never happens here in the NE.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2009, 10:16 AM   #22
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2030

Quote:
although you're right things are a bit more gothic-centric than that. my girlfriend is from ... newcastle! perhaps if government ministers like adonis were from newcastle then newcastle would get better transport links. generally the constituencies of senior ministers tend to benefit hugely from the fact they have their mps as ministers. just look at what was lavished on huntingdon or hull to see what i mean, or listen to the jokes on yes minister about why there were two motorways from london to oxford and none to cambridge from london (i know this is factually incorrect).
Maybe, but for years we have had a lot of Newcastle-area MPs in the cabinet, and we also had the two leaders of the main parties staring at eachother across the river in neigbouring constituencies here, in Tony Blair and William Hague.

No, it goes a lot deeper than that.

The British Government structure (Politicians plus Civil Servants) is an institutionally insular and parochial London-based and London obsessed organisation . . that knows what it is, thinks it right that it should be like that and will NEVER change.

Like most collections of like-minded people, it is very happy with its OWN lot . . thank you very much.

The rest of us can go . . . simply because we are in the WRONG place ("UP Nofe") and we are (also) just plain WRONG!!!!!!!
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 10:41 AM   #23
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 14368

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
No I think not, Blair prided himself for being from the NE, despite being born in Edinburgh, yet still gave very little to his constituencie and the NE. Their are some MP's who do go out and give back to their constituencies, but it seems that never happens here in the NE.
and does blair still live in the north east? prescott meanwhile still lives in hull, major in huntingdon but blair buggered off as soon as he stopped being an MP. you mean he claimed to care about his constituency and cares about it so much he washed his hands of it as soon as possible.

anyway i think the posts on this thread are hilarious navel gazing. if you want low government spending check out parts of the east midlands where it is 35%. meanwhile in newcastle aren't there rather a lot of civil servants? doesn't newcastle have the largest office complex in the entire country?
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2009, 10:53 AM   #24
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
and does blair still live in the north east? prescott meanwhile still lives in hull, major in huntingdon but blair buggered off as soon as he stopped being an MP. you mean he claimed to care about his constituency and cares about it so much he washed his hands of it as soon as possible.

anyway i think the posts on this thread are hilarious navel gazing. if you want low government spending check out parts of the east midlands where it is 35%. meanwhile in newcastle aren't there rather a lot of civil servants? doesn't newcastle have the largest office complex in the entire country?
Yes we have a number of Civil servents, but they are jobs the were surposed to replace others like Coal Mining, Ship building, etc all that Labour has taken away (yes the Tories were the first to take away caol mining, but Labour took away more), and the number of Civil servent jobs are not nearly as many as those that have been taken away. Cobalt, as you say is the largest business park in the UK, but this is half empty, I live next to it, it's pratically my backgarden, I have to go through it to get to Newcastle, I walk my dogs around there, most buildigs are empty withing it, and I believe it was funded by the privatesector and not the public sector. I'm not asking for government hand out's I'm just asking for a fairer amount of investment, so,ething which not only Newcastle deserves, but the whole of the NE does, and yes their will be similar cases around the UK. Newcastle has been hit with the loss of coal mining, and ship building, Sunderland has been hit with the loss of ship building, and Teesside is now being hit with the loss of steel manufacturing, and I fear not long untill it is hit with the loss of the chemical industry aswell.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:05 AM   #25
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:

anyway i think the posts on this thread are hilarious navel gazing. if you want low government spending check out parts of the east midlands where it is 35%. meanwhile in newcastle aren't there rather a lot of civil servants? Doesn't newcastle have the largest office complex in the entire country?
Yes, the office complex called "Benton Park View" in Newcastle, is easily the largest Civil Service office complex in the UK (and is well known as being that) with some 10,000 people working there. The majority of them are from HM Revenue & Customs, who were formerly HM Customs & Excise and Inland Revenue, until those two departments closed in 2005. Prior to that it was the 'Head Office' of a short-lived Department called the Contributions Agency.

The above photo from 2004, still has some of the "old" buildings shown as still on the site, at the edges. These are shown in full in the 2nd photo, below. NOW (in 2009) ALL of those old buildings have gone.

This very large office complex in Newcastle used to belong to the DHSS (which became the DSS) in the old days, and was known locally as "The Ministry" back then. I think the DHSS itself, was originally called the Ministry of Works and Pensions, which was probably the origin of the local nickname (of 'the Ministry') for the site.

This group of office buildings is also sometimes referred to as "Longbenton" because of its proximity to the former British Rail 'Longbenton' station (now a Metro Station). This 'name' causes confusion, because the offices themselves are not in 'Longbenton' which is a separate housing area north of the Metro station within the neighbouring Borough of 'North Tyneside'.

This is how the same site USED to look, made up of 'war-time' interconnected single story buildings, designed in a "ward" structure, to be used for that purpose (a hospital) in times of possible future conflicts. There are also some 1960s buildings at the centre of the complex, in the photo below . . .

However (to return to your point) having one large office of (mainly) one Government Department, does not mean we should be ignored in the present and future.

Also, what that massive complex does NOT have is . . Senior Civil Service Posts and influence.

THAT, is what we need here - Influence.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; December 23rd, 2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:04 PM   #26
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1233

Quote:
a man of taste i see
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #27
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

I don't know if anyone already knows, but the dreging of the Tyne is now complete, and the two section should be placed into position in the new year.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old December 26th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #28
hollow man

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
I don't know if anyone already knows, but the dreging of the Tyne is now complete, and the two section should be placed into position in the new year.

Yeah, good news but wrong thread!!
hollow man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #29
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow man View Post
Yeah, good news but wrong thread!!
Shhh, the A19 is the former route of the A1.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #30
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

If you wanted (yet) another example to illustrate the the "DON'T KNOW / DON'T CARE" attitude from the parochial Cockney-based UK Government about us in North East England, read on . . .

A1 blunders embarrass Lord Adonis
Jan 5 2010 by William Green, The Journal

THE Government faces fresh embarrassment over failing to upgrade the A1 after the Transport Secretary told Parliament that the North West is responsible for the road.

The Department for Transport (DfT) yesterday apologised after Secretary of State Lord Adonis gave an incorrect answer about dualling the A1 north of Newcastle to the Scottish border and promised to correct the error in Parliament “as soon as possible”.

But the department’s reply dropped another clanger when it referred to the road in Northumberland as the A1(M). As drivers know all too well, the A1 through the county falls very far short of motorway standard – the A1(M) runs out at Birtley, Gateshead.

The Transport Secretary has rebutted pressure to fully dual the A1 through Northumberland despite a coroner blasting the road’s safety after a head-on crash that claimed the lives of two drivers.

But now the Government will have to go back to Parliament after Lord Adonis appeared to place the A1 in the North West in response to questions by Lord Stevens of Kirkwhelpington, the former Northumbria and Metropolitan Police chief constable.

Lord Stevens, who has a home in Northumberland, asked what assessment had been made about the benefits of dualling the A1 north of Morpeth to the Scottish border for the North East economy, access to Scotland and road safety.

He also asked why a review of the costs of dualling the road was not proceeding as previously agreed.

In a written Parliamentary answer, Lord Adonis said all the issues were addressed in a study looking at the A1 north of Newcastle completed in 2002 – but insisted it was up to local authorities to push for any improvement scheme.

The Transport Secretary said: “This section of the Al forms part of the regional trunk road network. The North West authorities are responsible for promoting schemes as part of the regional funding allocation (RFA) process.

“The regional authorities have not prioritised the dualling of the Al north of Morpeth within their RFA advice and the Department for Transport has therefore made no further assessment of any benefits of a dualling scheme on the Al north of Morpeth to the Scottish border.”

He added the Highways Agency had invested in 41 projects to improve along the A1 over the past decade, including £4m last year.

Peter Atkinson, Tory MP for Hexham, said: “Obviously geography is not a strong point for people working in that section of the transport department.

“But it will rub a bit more salt in the wounds of people in the North East who have been campaigning for upgrading the A1 for years.”

Labour MP Ronnie Campbell, who represents Blyth Valley, said: “It has been a slip-up. I don’t think Adonis has seen the answer. I think this is a civil servant. They don’t know where the North East is, which isn’t surprising.

“This has gone on for years. The first thing they should do with civil servants is to sit them down and draw them a map to show them where the towns, cities and counties are.”

Anne-Marie Trevelyan, founder of the A1 action group and Tory Parliamentary candidate in Berwick, said: “Rather than correct the error, how about correct their judgement and understand the needs of the A1 road?”

A Department for Transport spokeswoman yesterday said: “Regrettably there was a drafting mistake in a Parliamentary Question answered on 14th December regarding the A1(M), for which we apologise. This will be corrected in Parliament as soon as possible.”

(MY COMMENT . . . Ah well, that's alright then, it will be . . er . . CORRECTED in the Cockney Parliament!)
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #31
kieron79

Likes (Received): 6

kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #32
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1233

didn't Adonis's hand drawn HSR map identify newcastle as NW? Maybe he thought it was the north-west all along...
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #33
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
didn't Adonis's hand drawn HSR map identify newcastle as NW? Maybe he thought it was the north-west all along...
haha - good point - it all makes sense now

here is that map

Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #34
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post
haha - good point - it all makes sense now

here is that map

Does this now mean that any HSR line going through the North West will stop at Newcastle? Let the celebrations commence.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:13 AM   #35
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

This is a related topic, to the dualling issue . .

Lord Adonis to investigate A1 plans
Mar 2 2010 by William Green, The Journal

TRANSPORT Secretary Lord Adonis will investigate plans to slash speed limits and introduce narrow lanes on the A1 Western Bypass.

The pledge comes after he admitted to MPs that he knew nothing about Highways Agency plans to create three narrow lanes in each direction as well as imposing a permanent 50mph speed limit.

The proposals could face claims of being a “cheap” solution after decades of calls to spend money to address congestion on the key road.

Tyne Bridge MP David Clelland directly challenged Lord Adonis about the scheme at a Commons transport select committee hearing. The Labour backbencher asked if the Government had given up on creating a “proper” three-lane motorway from London to Newcastle.

The Transport Secretary declared “no” but highlighted improvements on the A1 south of Newcastle, which Mr Clelland said reduced to two lanes at Scotch Corner.

He added: “You are aware that we have had this discussion that the Highways Agency now propose that the section of the A1(M) around Tyne and Wear is to be reduced to 50mph in advance of creating three lanes out of the current two lanes, three very narrow lanes.”

And he warned about a “danger” of a two-lane motorway rather than a proper three-lane motorway through the region.

“So people travel from London to Scotch Corner on a normal motorway at 70mph but when they come to the North East everybody is reduced to 50mph,” said Mr Clelland.

Lord Adonis said: “I wasn’t aware that the 50mph limits were going to be place for any indefinite period, I am happy to look at that.

“I know that there have been temporary arrangements necessary while work is taking place.

“But I wasn’t aware that there were proposals which would have permanent reductions in the speed limit but I am happy to look at those and come back to you.”

The Highways Agency wants to introduce a 50mph limit in both directions from Birtley to the Blaydon Bridge on the A1 Western Bypass.

A spokesman said: “The agency is proposing to introduce a 50mph speed limit on the A1 Gateshead Western Bypass.

“Evidence has shown that a reduced speed limit would improve traffic flow and journey time reliability.

“Minimising the ‘stop/start’ situations currently experienced on the road will also help to reduce the number of accidents and delays caused by them.”
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:23 AM   #36
BMS100

Likes (Received): 41

Adonis is a imbecile, labour have cheated the north east with false promises for the A1 (the tories would have done no better) and the speed limit isn't needed, the bloody congestion keeps traffic below that speed 90% of the time anyway.
BMS100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:25 AM   #37
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

MPs criticise North East discrimination on transport funding
Mar 31 2010 by William Green, The Journal

THE North East is being unacceptably discriminated against in terms of transport funding, MPs declared last night.

The influential Commons transport committee attacked the Government’s failure to fully dual the A1 through Northumberland despite years of campaigning to improve safety and boost the economy.

Figures produced by the Government show that £826 was spent in London per person in 2008-09 compared to just £235 in the North East – the second lowest proportion in England.

The result of that is that billions of pounds have been splashed on the transport network in London and the South East – including the £16bn Crossrail project in the capital.

In a new report, the Commons transport committee said: “There are some areas, we have heard evidence of such from the North East of England, that are underprovided for in terms of major roads.

“It is unacceptable that some parts of the country are discriminated against in terms of transport investment.”

The report, titled The Major Road Network, highlighted concerns raised by AA president Edmund King about gaps in the road network. In evidence to the committee, Mr King said: “If you look at the A1 north of Newcastle up to Scotland, you have still got a single carriageway road which is incredibly dangerous and there are all sorts of signs about speed cameras, dangers and the number of accidents.

“The best thing we can do is to dual it and all the evidence shows it would be safer.”

MPs picked up on this point, calling for dual carriageways where possible – which campaigners say is the case with the A1.

The committee also said the Department for Transport should pick up the tab for upgrading “strategically important” but locally managed routes.

And while road building was not always a solution, MPs said it may be necessary to build and upgrade motorways in some areas which are poorly served.

Committee chairman Louise Ellman said: “Congestion on our major road network costs our economy enormous sums every year.”

A Department for Transport spokesman said: “We are committed to investing in our transport networks across the country to tackle congestion and keep goods and people moving – and total public expenditure on transport in the North East increased by 31% in the five years to 2008-09.

“Our programme of up to £6bn to improve the national road network must focus on the schemes which bring the greatest benefits for road users.

“The North East stands to benefit significantly from the completion of the motorway link from London to Newcastle through the A1 Dishforth to Barton scheme and also benefits from other improvements.”

Transport spending per head in 2008-09

London 826

North West 309

W Midlands 269

South East 259

E Midlands 242

Yorkshire 239

South West 237

North East 235

East 232
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:43 AM   #38
Chatton11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
MPs criticise North East discrimination on transport funding
“The North East stands to benefit significantly from the completion of the motorway link from London to Newcastle through the A1 Dishforth to Barton scheme and also benefits from other improvements.”
Well that London to Newcastle motorway link (again the assumption is presumably that we're just hanging around dying to get to London when in reality Leeds and Edinburgh are much more realistic destinations) stops short of Newcastle doesn't it?
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:45 PM   #39
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatton11 View Post
Well that London to Newcastle motorway link (again the assumption is presumably that we're just hanging around dying to get to London when in reality Leeds and Edinburgh are much more realistic destinations) stops short of Newcastle doesn't it?
Dishforth to Barton would fill the last non-motorway gap between Newcastle and London. Barton is where the current A1(M) starts, just south of Darlington.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 04:19 PM   #40
Chatton11

Yep, but the A1(M) stops at Washington doesn't it? I know it's a little pedantic...
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
a1 (m), cars, england, motorway, motorways, newcastle, newcastle roads, newcastle transport, road, roads, transport, united kingdom