Дороги - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Российский форум > Тематические форумы > Инфраструктура

Инфраструктура Автомобильные и железные дороги, авиация, общественный транспорт и другая инфраструктура


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:45 AM   #101
jmancuso
make it so...
 
jmancuso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 6,752
Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by John



actually, both of those roads would be considered highways here in the united states. the first one similar to a state highway (owned and maintained by the state) and the second one is like our interstates (highways owned and maintained by the federal government)
jmancuso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:46 AM   #102
sOmeOne
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,191
Likes (Received): 19

@Mancuso, I don't beleive Americans even use the word "dual carriageway" do they? Because when I was studyinig for my driver's licence there were only two things - freeways and highways. The difference between the two is still unclear to me.
sOmeOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:59 AM   #103
Monkey
BANNED
 
Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Londinium
Posts: 14,133
Likes (Received): 43

I seem to be getting into the act here a bit late, but here I am. And I'm here to make just a couple of quick points:

1. Right, sOmeOne: the term "dual carriageway" seems to be European

2. I'll take on anyone who dares to call John a troll
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:12 AM   #104
jmancuso
make it so...
 
jmancuso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 6,752
Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOmeOne
@Mancuso, I don't beleive Americans even use the word "dual carriageway" do they? Because when I was studyinig for my driver's licence there were only two things - freeways and highways. The difference between the two is still unclear to me.
to me, a freeway is in the city (many lanes) and a highway is typically located in less developed areas and connects cities and have two lanes each way. (like the ones in those pics above). i may be full of shit but for the past 12 years i have been driving, this how i make the distinction.

never heard of a 'dual carriageway'. like WH says, sounds like a european thingy...
jmancuso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:22 AM   #105
delfin_pl
Registered User
 
delfin_pl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Polish California
Posts: 5,125
Likes (Received): 64

these pics of Russian highways dont remind even real express way, in Poland which is much smaller we have more highways, and 670km of motorways (260 km opened next year) here are pics of A4 and A2

delfin_pl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:28 AM   #106
sOmeOne
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,191
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancuso
to me, a freeway is in the city (many lanes) and a highway is typically located in less developed areas and connects cities and have two lanes each way. (like the ones in those pics above). i may be full of shit but for the past 12 years i have been driving, this how i make the distinction.

never heard of a 'dual carriageway'. like WH says, sounds like a european thingy...
Exactly my point. And there is no requirement for the highways to have a paved shoulder.
Some hard & flat surface is enough to pull over in case of emergency.
I have been driving highways for two years and this is the first time somebody tells me they are not highways/freeways because they don't have a funky green sign and a paved shoulder.
Don't know what the European standards are (I hate when people start pulling these), and I would be glad to read any info on that. So far you guys (John, Jacek, etc) have not backed up your claims. I, on the other hand, provided links, numbers and definitions.


BTW, how many of you knew that the percent of paved roads in Germany (over % of unpaved) is 99%? How crazy is that..
sOmeOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:31 AM   #107
sOmeOne
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,191
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfin_pl
these pics of Russian highways dont remind even real express way, in Poland which is much smaller we have more highways, and 670km of motorways (260 km opened next year) here are pics of A4 and A2
True, Poland is smaller and is a little denser populated. It makes sense to have 4-lane highways because people can travel a lot by car is such a tiny country. Russia however spans across 12 time zones and not a whole lot of people own and travel by cars across cities, that's why most Russian highways that are outside cities have only 2+2 lanes. Doesn't change the fact that they are highways and that people are in fact doing 140 km/h on them.
sOmeOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:33 AM   #108
sOmeOne
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,191
Likes (Received): 19

Also guys, because it's not common practice in Russia to take pictures of highways, doesn't mean they don't exist
sOmeOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:45 AM   #109
delfin_pl
Registered User
 
delfin_pl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Polish California
Posts: 5,125
Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOmeOne
Also guys, because it's not common practice in Russia to take pictures of highways, doesn't mean they don't exist
it was not my intention to offense you but for European standards these roads cant be considered as highways, Russia is totally different from Europe and has different standards so I believe that you call these roads highways
delfin_pl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:10 AM   #110
Vertigo
Fan van de Neudeflat
 
Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 2,498
Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
to me, a freeway is in the city (many lanes) and a highway is typically located in less developed areas and connects cities and have two lanes each way. (like the ones in those pics above). i may be full of shit but for the past 12 years i have been driving, this how i make the distinction.
Hmm, no. A highway could even have one lane each way. A highway is any major road. A freeway is a restricted (cars-only) multilane highway without any flat crossing and usually (though not always) with emergency lanes.
Vertigo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:32 AM   #111
jmancuso
make it so...
 
jmancuso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 6,752
Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo
Hmm, no. A highway could even have one lane each way. A highway is any major road. A freeway is a restricted (cars-only) multilane highway without any flat crossing and usually (though not always) with emergency lanes.

well, the US sounds a bit different from europe. large trucks (tractor trailers) are allowed on freeways here and we also don't have emergency lanes either but we do have HOV (high occupancy vehicles) lanes which are for buses and cars with more than three passengers (car pools). highways here tend to be 4-lane roadways (2 each way). highways are typically maintained by the state or federal government while major streets and roads aretypically maintained by the local government (city or county)

don't know how russia is set up but since they are a huge country (like the US) i'm sure they have similar infastructure to us as opposed to the much smaller european countries.
jmancuso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:50 AM   #112
Vertigo
Fan van de Neudeflat
 
Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 2,498
Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
well, the US sounds a bit different from europe. large trucks (tractor trailers) are allowed on freeways here and we also don't have emergency lanes either but we do have HOV (high occupancy vehicles) lanes which are for buses and cars with more than three passengers (car pools).
Well yeah, I meant trucks and buses to be included in cars... just no bicycles, pedestrians, etc. Strange that you say there are no emergency lanes, I think I remember them from driving in the US.

Quote:
highways here tend to be 4-lane roadways (2 each way). highways are typically maintained by the state or federal government while major streets and roads aretypically maintained by the local government (city or county)
But many so-called "US Highways" (like US1 stretching from Maine to Florida) are also just simple two lane roads outside urban areas, right?

Anyway, the discussion in this thread was about the difference between freeways and highways. I think the most distinctive feature of a freeway is the abscence of level crossings.
Vertigo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:07 PM   #113
blimey
BANNED
 
blimey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: all over the place
Posts: 502
Likes (Received): 0

Poland? Poland has less highways than the tiny Slovenia. Polish roads are some of the most terrible in the world, along with Russia's and Latvia's.
blimey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:22 PM   #114
Jacek
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,014
Likes (Received): 2

You have never been to Poland so spare us your whining. The only "highways" built in Lithuania were the ones built by the Russians 30 years ago, hardly something that Lithuanians can be proud of. Just the same as Russian ones, they cannot be considered highways, only expressways.

Polish highways are all new, up to the best worlds standards with all infrastructure. Some are asphalt highways, others are concrete highways.

There aren't many of them (they are almost all toll highways) but there is more work underway.

At least they are QUALITY highways.


POLISH HIGHWAYS


























Jacek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:25 PM   #115
blimey
BANNED
 
blimey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: all over the place
Posts: 502
Likes (Received): 0

Stop flooding this thread with pictures. Those highways look exactly the same like Lithuanian ones. Except that Lithuania with 3 million of population and much smaller territory has about 400 KM of highways whereas Poland with 40 million people and much larger territory has 600 KM. Now THATS not something to be proud of.
Try to get from Lithuania to Germany through Poland and youll see what i mean when i say Poland has the crappiest roads in the EU.
blimey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:31 PM   #116
Jacek
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,014
Likes (Received): 2

At least they are POLISH roads, not SOVIET roads. They are NEW, not old and refurbished. They are HIGHWAYS not expressways.

Why am I even bothering with you since you have never even visited Poland.

BTW going from Lithuania to Germany though Poland you will go through north-eastern Poland where there are no highways because nobody cares to built them there. Lithuania is simply not important to us and not many people live in NE Poland. There are too many nature reserves and we care less what Lithuanians want.


Our basic roads are much better quality than your soviet roads. Our highways are waaaaaaaaaay better.

There hasnt been even 1 KM of highway built by Lithuania since the soviets built 400km of expressways in Lithuania.

Now there is something to be proud of....
Jacek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:42 PM   #117
blimey
BANNED
 
blimey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: all over the place
Posts: 502
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
There hasnt been even 1 KM of highway built by Lithuania since the soviets built 400km of expressways in Lithuania.
Are you really THAT stupid to believe that youre gonna provocate me into getting into an argument with you about Soviets and other crap?
Well you're wrong. Everyone knows its BS and so do you.

Anyways, as i was saying, Lithuania has so much more roads per capita its unbelievable. Polish roads have been branded as the worst roads in Europe by many because thats the way it is. Go to mapquest.com and check the amount of red roads in Lithuania and Poland and youll see the difference.
Furthermore, Poland is lagging in international projects such as Via Baltica, project between Baltic States and Poland that was supposed to be almost completed by now, but Poland, obviously, hasnt even started yet.

The sooner you admit this the less stupid you will look.

Quote:
Our basic roads are much better quality than your soviet roads. Our highways are waaaaaaaaaay better.
Thats even less true. I was driving in Poland myself and i saw how your basic roads look, theyre narrow, old and therefore slow. Also, Lithuania has denser basic-road network than Poland if you calculate per capita as well.
blimey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:45 PM   #118
John
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,422
Likes (Received): 4

we're getting offtopic, sorry for that

@Jacek
Lithuania has a motorway system whereas Poland doesn't. And no matter who built them, my car doesn't really care about it, they're constantly maintained, hundreds of millions of $ are spend annually for motorway maintenance only. All typical roads (so called mainroads) are way better in Lithuania than in Poland, this is a fact. Lithuania has the second most per capita motorways among the new EU members (after Slovenia) while Poland is second-to-end (after Latvia). There are 370km of EU standard motorways in Lithuania where speed limit is 130km/h (this standard is acknowledged by central EU institutions, not by Lithuanian ones), 100km is being upgraded to this standard to fit EU requirements to qualify as motorway (A1 Vilnius-Kaunas). So please shut up
John no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:51 PM   #119
blimey
BANNED
 
blimey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: all over the place
Posts: 502
Likes (Received): 0

Its alright, mysterious people called Soviets came down from the sky and built our roads, just like mysterious people called Martians built Polish roads.

From that we can come to one conclusion: Road quality of mysterious people Soviets is much better than road quality of mysterious people called Martians.
blimey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:55 PM   #120
Jacek
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,014
Likes (Received): 2

What the hell is a "motorway system" ? Please explain to me because I have no idea what that means. Poland has several major highways, Lithuania has 2 expressways. The difference is infrastructure such as underpasses, overpasses for local roads, animal crossings, drainage systems, call boxes, police stations etc. No such things in Lithuania.

Lithuanian highways are old Russian highways only paved with a new thin layers of asphalt. Lithuania has not built even a SINGLE KM of HIGHWAYS, only paved two existing expressways.

So don't tell me about some "per capita" statistic where all your expressways are soviet-built.

Main roads in Poland in the past 5 years went through a dramatic improvement. You are accustomed to NE Poland, probably going to Warsaw only. That's the worst part of Poland in terms of highways, not a picture of my country at all.
Jacek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Tags
дороги, highways, motorways

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
21: Юрий Долгорукий | 57 эт | 52 эт | одобрено kosolapkino ММДЦ Москва-Сити и Большой Сити 105 July 7th, 2019 02:02 PM
Каток на Дворцовой площади и прочие (г)рад yuli(lari) Города 5 February 15th, 2008 08:29 PM
Дорогомилово, Москва coth Города 7 July 24th, 2006 09:42 PM
Фотогалерея городов России Mingitau Города 3 April 30th, 2006 05:56 PM


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us