Sheldon Retail Park | Coventry Road | Comp. - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects Completed projects in the West Midlands Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 16th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #21
SuttonBaggie

Likes (Received): 75

Outline planning has been approved, with reports at the end of 2010 claiming Sainsbury's had signed up to the scheme, which has annoyed Tesco who are building a new store a couple of miles along the Coventry Road at the Swan Shopping Centre.

Last edited by SuttonBaggie; March 16th, 2011 at 11:10 PM.
SuttonBaggie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #22
SuttonBaggie

Rivalry fears as supermarket plan is approved in Sheldon

STORE wars could break out along Birmingham’s Coventry Road after a major supermarket was given the go-ahead by city planners.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/news/t...#ixzz187f8tmH3

Last edited by SuttonBaggie; March 16th, 2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #23
SuttonBaggie

The residents will be a winner because in just a short stretch from this site up to the Swan Shopping Centre there will be a Sainsbury's, Co-op, Iceland, Summerfield, Aldi, Farmfoods and two Tesco. There should be a healthy price war between the stores.

Last edited by SuttonBaggie; March 16th, 2011 at 11:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #24
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14432

and if you wanna go a few more miles, Asda and Morrison's in Small Heath
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #25
Ginger Tosser
#pragma

Likes (Received): 12

Pity the Waitrose in the Sheldon Shopping Area closed in the 70's/80's (where iceland is now)
Old March 17th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #26
ROYAL BLUE

Likes (Received): 1351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Tosser View Post
Pity the Waitrose in the Sheldon Shopping Area closed in the 70's/80's (where iceland is now)
Used to shop there as a wee nipper. I can recall when the Tesco just up the A45 was a 'Presto' Supermarket before becoming Safeway.

ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #27
Ginger Tosser
#pragma

I remember when Presto was a cinema, saw Star Wars there!

(older).

Anyway, I'll try and get some shots of the building before it gets knocked down. I should be able to get a view over the fence from the wall in the Focus car park.
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:26 AM   #28
Ginger Tosser
#pragma

Big fail attempting to get pictures today - that fence is bigger than I thought. Might need ladders!
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:10 PM   #29
VerticallyChallenged

Likes (Received): 158

Unbelievable, Severn Trent moves its HQ and 1,200 jobs to Coventry and in return Birmingham gets - yet another bloody Supermarket!
VerticallyChallenged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:02 PM   #30
SuttonBaggie

I was surprised they moved to Coventry and didn't stay in the immediate district moving to somewhere like the Birmingham Business Park or Blythe Valley Park J4 M42.
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:07 PM   #31
fruit&nut
Proud European

Likes (Received): 944

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL BLUE View Post
Used to shop there as a wee nipper. I can recall when the Tesco just up the A45 was a 'Presto' Supermarket before becoming Safeway.

Haha! Me too! My mum used to take me to Waitrose at Sheldon.

Do you remember the cinema before the Presto's?
fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:59 PM   #32
SuttonBaggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruit&nut View Post
Haha! Me too! My mum used to take me to Waitrose at Sheldon.

Do you remember the cinema before the Presto's?
Was that also when the A45 Coventry Road was a single file road with a service road for the house on the one side. In the 1970s is was converted into a dual carriageway.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 02:28 AM   #33
blar

Likes (Received): 284

OMG! I can just about remember Presto's at Sheldon I grew up just up the road close to the then Good Companions Pub. Out of interest, was Presto constructed at the same time as the NCR building opposite because they look quite similar?

I can't believe there was a Waitrose in Sheldon! When I was a kid it was a Gateway!
blar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:54 PM   #34
SuttonBaggie

The 'Focus Do It All' building was one of the first types of DIY warehouse constructed in the area. It wasn't one of the branded companies like Homebase, B&Q or Do It All, it was a family run business.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:00 PM   #35
SuttonBaggie

The A45 Coventry Road from Wells Road down to Hobs Moat Road (The side where the Severn Trent office currently stands) used to be lined with large cottages up until the 60s/70s.

Developers bought them up to build the offices that are there today. One home owner refused to sell up so they built the office right up to his house on both sides.
Old March 24th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #36
fruit&nut
Proud European

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuttonBaggie View Post
Was that also when the A45 Coventry Road was a single file road with a service road for the house on the one side. In the 1970s is was converted into a dual carriageway.
Yes...remember it well. I remember the day the cut the trees down - huge they were (or maybe it was me being small) and also riding my bike up and down the new tarmac before they opened the road to the traffic.

They built a subway not far from the Severn Trent Offices, but were unable to build the other side (rumour has it that Solihull Council had the land on the other side and wouldn't grant permission - not sure how true it was) so they bricked it up. It was half a subway to nowhere for years. When they were building the part under the road, an old Austin 1800 ended up face down in the excavation funny what you remember.
Old March 24th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #37
fruit&nut
Proud European

Quote:
The 'Focus Do It All' building was one of the first types of DIY warehouse constructed in the area. It wasn't one of the branded companies like Homebase, B&Q or Do It All, it was a family run business.
Yup! Remember that too. Can't remember the name of it, I'll have to ask F&n senior!
Old March 24th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #38
fruit&nut
Proud European

Quote:
The A45 Coventry Road from Wells Road down to Hobs Moat Road (The side where the Severn Trent office currently stands) used to be lined with large cottages up until the 60s/70s.

Developers bought them up to build the offices that are there today. One home owner refused to sell up so they built the office right up to his house on both sides.
I don't remember the ones where STW was (used to be called Abelson House) but I remember the ones between the Gin Palace (British Legion) and the Doctors Surgery. There was about 8 houses, 4 of them nice big semis.

STW bought them up and built their ST International (?) offices that are there now.

Whilst I'm reminiscing, I also remember the Texaco Garage when it was a proper garage, and not just a filling station.

Last edited by fruit&nut; March 24th, 2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old March 27th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #39
SuttonBaggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruit&nut View Post
I don't remember the ones where STW was (used to be called Abelson House) but I remember the ones between the Gin Palace (British Legion) and the Doctors Surgery. There was about 8 houses, 4 of them nice big semis.

STW bought them up and built their ST International (?) offices that are there now.

Whilst I'm reminiscing, I also remember the Texaco Garage when it was a proper garage, and not just a filling station.
There used to be garages behind the Texaco but these were removed and replaced by a retirement home. I'm sure the Texaco also was one of the first in the late 80s early 90s to have self pay petrol pumps.
Old March 28th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #40
fruit&nut
Proud European

No, that was the one next to the Good Companions - it was the first in the country and if i recall correctly it was all self-pay, with no kiosk!

It didn't last long - Mickey D's bought the site and put up one of their gaffs in a matter of days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement