Sheldon Retail Park | Coventry Road | Comp. - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects Completed projects in the West Midlands Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #41
Ginger Tosser
#pragma

Likes (Received): 12

Was an ESSO station, used it a few times. Quite often an attendant was on hand to fix the failing automation.
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #42
fruit&nut
Proud European

Likes (Received): 944

That was it, I couldn't remember what brand it was.

Thanks GT!
fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #43
NoMoreSupermarkets

Likes (Received): 0

How original another supermarket on Cov road!!!!!!!

Does Birmingham City Council have a thing about having so many supermarkets & take-aways on one stretch of road. Why cant they take their supermarket glasses off for a second & see if this area needs something different then rows of supermarkets maybe a leisure complex with a hotel on site or even a large B & Q type business to replace the doomed Focus DIY store. The increased traffic problems will also be an issue here right next to the Wheatsheaf crossroads which are manic at most times of the day.

By the way Suttonbaggy have you got a financial investment with this site or what because you go on like you have more than a passing interest to me. I dont think you live around these parts because most people who do live here dont what another frigging supermarket round these parts ok I hope the residents whom especially live behind this site get a fair hearing to state the devastating effects it will have to their lives forever.
NoMoreSupermarkets no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #44
ROYAL BLUE

Likes (Received): 1351

How in Gods name is it the responsibility of the City Council?

Thats simply not how Britain works!!
Private companies look at the market, decide there is demand for a certain type of business, they purchase a piece of land, raise funds, then submit for planning permission.

The ONLY responsibility the City Council has is to make sure any new developments won't have a detrimental effect on the surrounding area/residents.

It is NOT the council's job to open DIY store's or Cinemas, Bowling Alley's or any other Leisure facilities. It is their job to collect refuge, clean and maintain streets and provide Schools, Police and Fire and rescue services.

I'd also like to know why your complaining about the number of supermarkets in Sheldon, Tesco is likely to close once the store at Yardley is opened. But even if it doesn't, there will be 2 supermarkets 1/4 mile apart. Hardly an over saturated market, given the size of the local population.

Why on Earth have you singled out SuttonBaggie? It's pretty clear he doesn't live in Sheldon when his name username is 'Sutton', even so, he's entitled to an opinion and even if he did have a financial interest in this project (which I doubt) are you trying to say he's not allowed to have an opinion? Or that he should be stopped from making money? In a Free Country?

As for the 'Devastating effects' of a supermarket, your talking about a Shop, not a Nuclear Power Station or a Landfill site, what a ridiculous way to describe a Shop opening.

Last edited by ROYAL BLUE; June 6th, 2011 at 06:04 PM.
ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #45
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17091

And it will provide more much needed jobs which can only be good for our younger generation.
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 02:28 AM   #46
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
And it will provide more much needed jobs which can only be good for our younger generation.
3,000 local jobs in the West Midlands region AS PART OF THEIR PLANNING CONSENT according to Sainsburys, including the 2000 Tesco seems to have put in over the last 5 or so years.

Get a grip - Supermarkets aren't stupid. If there is no demand, they won't build one in the area. If there is then they will. This is quite a populous region of Birmingham what with the numbers of high tower flats on the area. Saturation doesn't occur, especially in the west side of Birmingham because they are mostly low-rise residential homes thus lower population density.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #47
ROYAL BLUE

There aren't any Tower Blocks in Sheldon Typhoon, its a pretty affluent area. The site of this development is on the Solihull border.
Old June 8th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #48
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Funny that supermarkets might be located on the main radial routes out of the city

I am no fan of their tactics, monopolies or economic harm, but main roads are obvious places to put them...
Old June 8th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #49
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
Funny that supermarkets might be located on the main radial routes out of the city

I am no fan of their tactics, monopolies or economic harm, but main roads are obvious places to put them...
Exacty - most journeys will at some point involve a major route and therefore the need to make a dedicate trip to the supermarket will be reduced if they are on major routes.

(Some people just dont get this rather obvious point)

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #50
NoMoreSupermarkets

Thx for your feedback people lets get straight to it. Royal blue councils like Birmingham dont do what they are supposed to do i.e look after the interests of all its citizens, to many inside are interested in money rather than upholding fair & even procedures be it for big firms or small individuals.

So mr R b take a step down from up there & face the facts Bham CC have not got any balls when it comes to these issues especially planning its too soft against developers letting them pull all the strings.

you also mention that there are 2 supermarkets within a certain stretch but you fail to mention the Co-op(incl post office inside), Iceland & the recently opened Aldi. Shall i go on....... what about the half empty parade of shops opposite the Wheatsheaf to the former legion comphrehend.

The word devastating you mentioned would you like to ask people living next to Asda Small Heath if this applies & do they live normal lives i dont think so mate. The Severn Trent site is going to be bigger on all aspects compared to this Asda site.

Finally i have no probs with Suttonbaggy they are entiltled to his/her views but one does go on & on with a running commentary about nothing actually ..... by the way the building is still standing SB praise the lord. On a last note you say Sheldon is affluent with respect bud most would say that you are talking cobblers mate so stop taking the p mate & get real.
NoMoreSupermarkets no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #51
ROYAL BLUE

Sheldon is affluent when compared to most areas of the city, I know because I grew up there. I have family who still live there, both of them have houses valued above £300k. Well above the UK national average.

Do you even live there? Its on the border of Solihull which is one of the most affluent towns in the country. Thats a pretty widely known fact.

But then if Sheldon isn't affluent as you seem to think, then your argument is flawed because surely the extra 400 or so jobs would be badly needed and be welcomed by the local community.

By the way the word 'devastating' was mentioned by you, not me:

Quote:
I hope the residents whom especially live behind this site get a fair hearing to state the devastating effects it will have to their lives forever.
I currently live in Tamworth and have an ASDA and a Sainsburys in close proximity to my house. Far from devastating it's actually very convenient. Traffic is a bit higher then normal on weekends, but no higher then it is on the major routes I frequent through Birmingham on a regular basis.

Frankly Iceland, Co-op and Aldi although technically are supermarkets, they usually consist of small to medium size stores, attract low numbers of customers and cause very little increase in traffic.

It is NOT the city councils job to Build Leisure facilites as you argued before, you clearly have an anti council agenda despite little knowledge of what the council's job is.

The council have to have a very strong argument against a project in order to refuse planning permission. If they do refuse planning permission then Developers can take the council to court. Costing thousand of pounds Tax payers money.

Last edited by ROYAL BLUE; June 11th, 2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old June 12th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #52
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL BLUE View Post
There aren't any Tower Blocks in Sheldon Typhoon, its a pretty affluent area. The site of this development is on the Solihull border.
But isn't Chelmsley Woods nearby? And when I took a bus ride between Marston Green and Coventry road, that area looked a bit of a dive. Very affluent.

Supermarkets are good. They fill a demand and help to reduce the costs to consumers. Long gone are the terrible "Open-all-hours" dank overpriced corner shops with terrible customer service (I'm surprised that some exist today)- it has forced those that do wish to run a proper corner shop to up their game and think about their prices. So how this can be bad for citizens is beyond me.

Old June 12th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #53
ROYAL BLUE

Chelmsley wood is an entirely different area. Thats like saying Sutton Coldfield is rough because its near Erdington.

Compared the 3/4 of the city Sheldon is a nice suberb, Decent sized houses, all well maintained, Tree lined roads, good schools and transport links. Theres a hand full of less desirable roads but thats the same everywhere in the city.
Old June 12th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #54
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL BLUE View Post
Chelmsley wood is an entirely different area. Thats like saying Sutton Coldfield is rough because its near Erdington.

Compared the 3/4 of the city Sheldon is a nice suberb, Decent sized houses, all well maintained, Tree lined roads, good schools and transport links. Theres a hand full of less desirable roads but thats the same everywhere in the city.
It was just a bit weird when travelled through on the bus. I got of at Marston Green Station, and got the bus in the wrong dierction and ended up, not far away just up the road in Chelsmley wood (or Solihull North as the Estate agents will try to call it). So I stayed on the bus to head down to the Coventry Road, and going past Marston Green (again), I went through a really dodgy area and I thought the whole of this estate right up to Coventry Road was Sheldon.. My god it was rough.

I guess the affluence starts over the Coventry Road, and I have been down there - it's really smart.

The supermarkets will kill three birds with one stone really. It'll suit the pockets of those that that need to save money with the constant competition to drive down prices. It'll meet the needs of affluent people that may want to spend money on luxury items. And it'll help outcommuters leaving the city that want to buy their evening shopping. Win-win all round.

Old June 12th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #55
ROYAL BLUE

To be fair i'm probably generalising a bit too much when it comes to Sheldon, It's the area around the Coventry road/Church Road/Hobs Moat rd i'm referring to, then either direction along the Coventry road. I'm not as familiar with the Marston Green area.

Mainly I'm referring too the area directly around this development.
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #56
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 854

Marston Green is an affluent village that was once surrounded by countryside (chelmsley woods) There are big houses, excellent schools, a couple of churches, library, memorial gardens, recreation ground, cricket, football club, scout hall, village hall etc.. and a parish council that maintains all vey well. The cottage houses near the memorial gardens and parish church date back to the doomsday book.

However, the village has had a lot of bad luck, with the airport being built one side and chelmsley wood estate the other, not to mention the NEC, the busy trainline, business park, elmdon trading estate etc...

Back on topic though, people from places such as Marston Green, Bickenhill, Meriden, Hampon in Arden, Catherine de Barnes, Damson wood, Elmdon heath etc... are all likely to use this new superstore, as well as the immediate areas of Sheldon (Cranes Park, Yardley, Radleys etc...). I think a location such as this could maintain a store akin to that at Monkspath. Whilst i think the Swan Centre store would not do so well and would be better suited for an ASDA.
BhamJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 01:34 AM   #57
brummie_jim

just found this

just found this on the birmingham mail website

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/t...#ixzz1bePIpRJJ
brummie_jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #58
brummie_jim

SUPERMARKET chain Morrisons is to open a new superstore on the site of the former Severn Trent headquarters in Sheldon.

Birmingham City Council has approved detailed plans submitted by planning consultants Brooke Smith Planning.

As part of the planning consent, at least £450,000 will be invested in the area.

BSP associate director Will Charlton said: “The scheme will boost the local economy, bringing jobs and investment. It will help to kick-start the regeneration of this part of the city.”

The site on the main A45 Coventry Road has been vacant since the water company moved its operations to Coventry.

A number of major highway improvements, including the provision of a filter lane for traffic approaching from Birmingham Airport, will now follow.

The pedestrian subway, which crosses Coventry Road, will have £200,000 spent on improving it.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/news/t...#ixzz1bePIpRJJ
brummie_jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #59
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14437

Morrisons loving Birmingham at the moment.
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #60
Brum Knows Best

Likes (Received): 339

So that will be 2 Morrison’s on the Cov road, an Asda, 2 Tesco’s and a Farm food and I think there is also a Sainsbury or Summerfield.
Brum Knows Best no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement