RIVER OF LIFE KUALA LUMPUR DEVELOPMENTS | General News, Pictures & Updates - Page 10 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Countdown to 2020

Countdown to 2020 new projects, proposals, under-construction updates and news of developments & construction projects.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #181
CoolFellas
Malaysian. Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heikal View Post
submachinegun? I don't even know what that is? Is that a nickname of a person or a weapon LOL~

Yes. They have money. Instead of letting the Datins to hire expensive manicurists or even some moneyboys/gigolos, better yet they contribute to the nation, don't they?

For me, PeTT and KL Tower are never getting old. Even people around the world are still visiting, re-visiting, continue visiting. Just yesterday when I got back from my office at Level 49, Tower 2, PeTT, I saw a huge group from Korea touring the surrounding KLCC. Even the skybridge tickets are sold out at 8:00 AM everyday!

Even yesterday a pair Korean ladies ask me the direction to Malaysian Tourism Centre. After giving the direction, I smiled at them and say 'Annehesayo'... They smiled!

I always wonder everytime I see these tourists, they always pick me to ask for taking their pictures, or simple asking me the direction. Then my friend told me - "Your face is so kind. They trust you."

LOL~

Don't worry dengilo. We will have more icons of KL/Malaysia after this. Najib's Team is looking into this. And our river could be one of them!
They can put the adverts along the river bank just like the adverts/billboards along the highway from our KLIA to KL CBD. Lol.. and also on the gondolas and boats of river crusing. I'm still remember a Malay film of Castello, the actor,Rosyam Nor chasing/been chased riding jetski along the Klang/Gombak river..it will be a reality one day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbLHD...eature=related

Yeah we need more tourist attractions around KL and the surrounding areas and also easy access to the tourists..PTT will remain the main icon and landmark of KL..similar to La Sagrada Familia Basilica in Barcelona, Spain created by the famous Gaudi,

and to be an icon building not necessary sleek and tall but can be unique structure like Frank Gehry's dancing building in Prague, Republic of Czech ..

Last edited by CoolFellas; July 24th, 2011 at 07:55 PM.
CoolFellas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #182
kl 2020 ideas

Likes (Received): 0

I vote design no 3. Even cheaper than 4 and river bigger. The bigger the merrier
kl 2020 ideas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #183
nazrey

Likes (Received): 15315

Sungai kt Pasar Seni ni tenang je...besok kan buat putusan bagi design?! really want to know how it will look like in the year to come!
image hosted on flickr

DSC05449 by Kerina Yin, on Flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazrey View Post
River project to transform KL
2011/07/02 By V. Shankar Ganesh
http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/2livers/Article/

AJC Planning Consultants director Ahmad Jefri Clyde (second from left)
briefing Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak on the River of Life project after
the launch of a RM4 billion river beautification project in Kuala Lumpur
yesterday. — NST picture by Aizuddin Saad

KUALA LUMPUR: With the launch of a RM4 billion river cleaning up and beautification project yesterday, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak hopes Kuala Lumpur will eventually be one of the great cities in the world.

However, he said the project required not just physical development but a revamp in the people's thinking and attitude, especially towards rivers.

The PM described Sungai Klang that runs through the city as an under-utilised natural asset that held the potential to become a vibrant and liveable waterfront with high economic value.

Identified as an Entry Point Project under the Greater Kuala Lumpur/Klang Valley National Key Economic Area, the River of Life project seeks to transform Sungai Klang and Sungai Gombak into an iconic waterway at par with that in cities like London, Paris, Melbourne and Amsterdam by 2020.

Apart from sewage being dumped into the river, Najib said about 170 tonnes of garbage also found its way into Sungai Klang annually but the authorities managed to scoop up only 25 tonnes.

"I visited the CheongGyeChoen river project in Seoul recently. The project is the best example of the transformation of a polluted and dirty river into a model river complete with beautiful walkways, bridges and fountains," he said when launching the River of Life project here yesterday.

The River of Life project comprises three components, which are the cleaning up, beautification and real estate development, along the river corridor.

The cleanup will be conducted along a 110km stretch throughout the Klang river basin.

The target is to improve water quality from its current Class III to Class IIB, which would make the river suitable for recreational activities, by 2020.

A sum of RM3 billion has been allocated for the clean-up with a balance for beautification works.

The transformation of the river will include beautification of the river bank from Titiwangsa to Brickfields.

The Kuala Lumpur City Hall held a River of Life master plan competition that ended on June 15, and they have short-listed five of the 22 entries.

Three are from international companies with two from local planning companies.

The master plans are available for the public to view and vote at www.riveroflife.com.my -- from today until July 28.

A panel of expert jurors have also been appointed to assess the plans. The winning plan will be based on a combination of votes from the public (20 per cent) and the jurors (80 per cent).

The winning proposal will be announced on July 30.
Alor Setar, Ipoh, Johor Bahru, Kangar, Kota Bahru, Kota Kinabalu, Kuantan, Kuala Terengganu, Kuching, Seremban, Shah Alam, etc!
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2011, 03:15 AM   #184
XNeo

Likes (Received): 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by heikal View Post
For me, PeTT and KL Tower are never getting old. Even people around the world are still visiting, re-visiting, continue visiting. Just yesterday when I got back from my office at Level 49, Tower 2, PeTT, I saw a huge group from Korea touring the surrounding KLCC. Even the skybridge tickets are sold out at 8:00 AM everyday!

Don't worry dengilo. We will have more icons of KL/Malaysia after this. Najib's Team is looking into this. And our river could be one of them!
PTT marks as first new supertall era.
it is a 'classic monument'..and an icon. like eiffel tower, WTC..etc.

only ppl getting old, useless... and died soon...
XNeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 09:44 AM   #185
aismanggo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

what happen to this competition..dah umum pemenang ke?
aismanggo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 05:10 PM   #186
patchay

Likes (Received): 1527

i think the winner is Masterplan 1....

AECOM chosen for RM1b Malaysian river project
August 01, 2011
http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/l...river-project/
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7J11VD20110801

One of the largest global architecture firm AECOM has been chosen for $337 mln Malaysian river project

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 1 – AECOM has been chosen to carry out a river beautification project worth RM1 billion (US$337 million) in Malaysia, the state news agency Bernama reported today.

AECOM, a US-based engineering and architectural firm, will work on a 10.7km stretch of the Klang and Gombak River, which traverses the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur.

The company was picked for the "River of Life" project after winning a planning competition earlier this year, the report added. – Reuters

PATCHAY | Website | Facebook | Flickr | Twitter | Instagram | Foursquare
patchay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:43 AM   #187
nazrey

klo AECOM ..kan ia masterplan 3!?
note: AECOM juga adalah tuan design bagi London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Masterplanning work!
http://www.aecom.com/What+We+Do/Desi...plan+Framework
Alor Setar, Ipoh, Johor Bahru, Kangar, Kota Bahru, Kota Kinabalu, Kuantan, Kuala Terengganu, Kuching, Seremban, Shah Alam, etc!
Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:49 AM   #188
patchay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazrey View Post
klo AECOM ..kan ia masterplan 3!?
i think tak ikut order tu...

what i got from their Twitter account is that they asked ppl to vote for Masterplan 1...

Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:23 AM   #189
nazrey

Hmmm...so AECOM itu masterplan 1 punya design!

Quote:
To know AECOM

Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:47 AM   #190
nazrey

US-based firm selected to carry out River of Life project
Posted on August 2, 2011, Tuesday
http://www.theborneopost.com/2011/08...-life-project/

KUALA LUMPUR: A United States-based engineering and architectural firm, AECOM, has been picked to carry out the River of Life (RoL) project costing about RM1 billion which includes the beautification of a 10.7km stretch of the Klang and Gombak River Corridor.

Once ready, the area will offer visitors nice views and feature amenities such as pedestrian and bicycle walkways, retail outlets, eateries and other attractions.

The firm was chosen by jurors as the winner of the RoL International Master-planning competition organised by Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) between April 12 and June 15 this year.

Kuala Lumpur mayor Tan Sri Ahmad Fuad Ismail said the company had fulfilled most of the criteria set by the jurors, comprising nine local and international industry leaders.

“The winning master plan was selected based on its excellence in planning, architecture, function and economic terms,” he said after announcing the winner of the competition yesterday.

A total of 22 local and international firms submitted their designs, aimed at ensuring a holistic beautification approach for the RoL initiative.

Ahmad Fuad, who is chairman of the RoL Joint Development Committee, said AECOM would cooperate with the committee to draw up the final master plan for the stretch, as well as a detailed proposal for either Precinct 1 (Titiwangsa) or Precinct 7 (Masjid Jamek).

The stretch has 11 precincts.

He explained that the committee would work on the final draft of the master plan through the combination of master plans from four other finalist firms.

“We’ll seek comments and feedback from the public before incorporating them into the final master plan,” he said.

The RoL is an Entry Point Project identified in the Greater Kuala Lumpur/Klang Valley National Key Economic Area under the Economic Transformation Plan, which aims to transform the Klang River into a vibrant and liveable waterfront with high economic value.

The transformation is divided into three components, namely river cleaning, river masterplanning as well as beautification and river development.

In another development, Ahmad Fuad said DBKL had to reduce the number of Ramadan Bazaar business lots this year to 7,777 from 8,549. — Bernama
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:27 AM   #191
nazrey

RIVER MAKEOVER
US-based company wins bid to transform and beautify the 10.7km Klang/Gombak river
2011/08/01 By Nuradzimmah Daim
http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/gondrol/Article/

(From left) Tan Sri Ahmad Fuad Ismail with Ahmad Shahrul Mohamed from
external auditor Khairuddin Hasyudeen & Razi and Suhaili Idrus of the
Performance Management and Delivery Unit (Pemandu) at the event to
announce the winner of the River of Life International Masterplanning
competition. — Picture by Yong Chee Choong

KUALA LUMPUR: Global firm Aecom is the consultant selected to effect the RM1 billion transformation of the 10.7km Klang/Gombak river.

Mayor Tan Sri Ahmad Fuad Ismail announced the winner of the River of Life International Masterplanning competition at a press conference.

He said the United States-based company had met the criteria for design and originality, among others.

"It won the majority of the professional jurors' votes, and was the public's second choice," he said

The judges' decision accounts for 80 per cent and the public's choice, determined through manual and e-voting at the River of Life website, accounts for the remainder in the selection of the winner, which will take on the task of transforming the Klang/Gombak river.

Aecom’s vision of the new Klang/Gombak river.

"Generally, the public and nine jurors's views are consistent in terms of practicality and ideas that the firm brought.

"The five short-listed consultants were given two months to prepare the masterplan, which they presented to the panel of jurors that included academicians, planners and architects.

"For transparency, an external auditor tabulated the public votes. A total 2,661 votes were gathered from the public, of which 2,141 were cast online."

Fuad said the firm had also proposed financial models which were appealing as they showed that the project could be executed within the RM1 billion budget set by the government.

"There were ideas from other consultants that were worth considering for the eight-year project, which would be carried out based on three main components, which are cleaning; river masterplanning and beautification; and river development.

He said the River of Life project was divided into 11 parcels, with parcel 1 in the north of KL, Kampung Puah, and the last in Brickfields.

"Apart from the master plan, the consultant has until the end of the year to come out with detailed planning for parcel 1 and parcel 7 (Jalan Sultan Abdul Samad building), which has the landmarks Dataran Merdeka and Masjid Jamek."

Fuad said the cleaning of the 110km stretch of the Klang river basin would be done in two years. The process involves the relevant agencies, including local authorities, and the public, through awareness programmes.

It is aimed at transforming the river from Class III (not suitable for body contact) to Class IIB (suitable for recreational activities).

"We have already started with seminars to let government departments, non-governmental organisations, and residents' associations know what the project is about.

"We also want to remind the public to stop illegal dumping and to stop others, including factories, from dumping waste into the river."

He said among the proposed elements for beautification were pedestrian walkways, a park and rubber dam.

The proposed sections in the project include Eco Village (Kampung Puah or Parcel 1); Heritage Quarters (Bangunan Sultan Abdul Samad or Parcel 7); Sentral Station (Kl Sentral Post Office or Parcel 10); Farmers Market (Brickfields or Parcel 11).

Aecom provides professional technical services for transport, energy and water systems as well as environment enhancements.

The four other short-listed companies in the competition were Building Design Partnership (Britain); Korea Engineering Consultant Corporation (South Korea); TR Hamzah and Yeang (Malaysia); and AJC Planning Consultants Sdn Bhd (Malaysia).

The River of Life project is expected to start at the end of the year.

Last edited by nazrey; August 2nd, 2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:44 AM   #192
patchay

Awesome plan.

But as I said, Masterplan 1 is probably the most expensive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizalhakim View Post
Masterplan 1
Plan A

Plan B

Old August 2nd, 2011, 07:33 AM   #193
buiscasey

Likes (Received): 0

yeay!! my pick won!!
buiscasey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 07:39 AM   #194
nazrey

Quote:
Renung sekali lagi plak...ia TERHEBAT!!!!!!
Old August 2nd, 2011, 08:37 AM   #195
sepul

Likes (Received): 1946

like it much!! for sure it will add culture to the city.. this one will be a major tourist draw.. hope it will not take too long to finish..
sepul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 08:54 AM   #196
azey
Maintenant ou Jamais

Location: Paris,Londres,Milano,Italia, Marrakech,Portofino,Venise, Barcelone,Malaisie, Florence
Likes (Received): 1725

it really doesnt matter which plan wins,as long they gv klang river a new life and provide citizens a new recreational area,im good with it
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:24 AM   #197
CoolFellas

I'm very pleased the best proposal won..AECOM really deserve it! AECOM is one of the world's biggest architecture firm with some unique projects such as the first Green city of Masdar in Abu Dhabi, and involved in Universal Studios in Sentosa Island, Singapore, Universal CityWalk in LA, Olympic Stadium and amenities in London 2012, and many more. But I'm not sure if AECOM is granted for the whole project, I mean for the all 11 parcels or just for the Phase 1 of the Parcel/Precint 1 (Eco Village, Kg Puah) and Parcel/Precint 7 (Heritage Quarter of Jln Sultan Abd Samad/Dataran Merdeka). If others parcels can be given to other shortlisted consultants would be great, more diversity and can create competitiveness in finishing the project, just like PTT, one tower to Korean and another one to Japanese firm, eventually the Korean accomplished first.

Last edited by CoolFellas; August 2nd, 2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:17 PM   #198
chuakz

Likes (Received): 43

this is one of the projects that i'm excited about....i hope it gets completed quickly...can't wait to see the finished result
chuakz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:06 PM   #199
constipation

Likes (Received): 126

Question:

What the different of 2years n 8 years timeframe given to implement this project as per mentioned by previous article?

As what we know , RM1billion only for beautification of 10.7km stretch of the river banks, how bout the 110km of cleaning of river basin, what the cost for that?

The Klang n Gombak river that flow in the city center is actually quite narrow, but from the artist diagram it seems can accommodate the river taxi/boats, how come that can be possible?

Is there any effect from thunder storm(banjir kilat)?
constipation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:25 PM   #200
CoolFellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by constipation View Post
Question:

What the different of 2years n 8 years timeframe given to implement this project as per mentioned by previous article?

As what we know , RM1billion only for beautification of 10.7km stretch of the river banks, how bout the 110km of cleaning of river basin, what the cost for that?

The Klang n Gombak river that flow in the city center is actually quite narrow, but from the artist diagram it seems can accommodate the river taxi/boats, how come that can be possible?

Is there any effect from thunder storm(banjir kilat)?

"There were ideas from other consultants that were worth considering for the eight-year project, which would be carried out based on three main components, which are cleaning; river masterplanning and beautification; and river development.

Fuad said the cleaning of the 110km stretch of the Klang river basin would be done in two years.

Its clearly mentioned in the news that the 2 years timeframe is for cleaning up the river of 110km stretch long and 8 years is the total time-frame project, included- cleaning, river masterplanning and beautification.

The cost of RM1 billion (USD333 million) - USD1= RM3, is for masterplanning and beautification only. Another RM3 billion already has been allocated for cleaning-up the river to improve its quality water quality from its current Class III to Class IIB, which would make the river suitable for recreational activities, by 2020. Also the awareness programmes to the public etc.

The wider river (will be increased to 30%) is proposed to mitigate the flash-flood. The project will be started by early next year, 2012 for cleaning-up (2 years) and the beautification will be only started in 2014 which is expected to finish by 2020 (6 years) total 8 years.

The total project cost RM4 billion (USD1.3 billion) as announced in the news on 2 July 2011. The total cost is considered low compared to the cost of reviving the famous Cheonggcheon river in Seoul which only covered 8.4km long (our river bank 10.7km for beautification and 110km for cleaning-up) which costed USD900 million included USD281 million for beautification, and opened in year 2005.

Last edited by CoolFellas; August 2nd, 2011 at 05:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
kuala lumpur