Longbridge | Former MG Rover Site | Mixed-Use | U/C - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #21
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3669

sorry to bring up the dickens heath discussion again. I really used to dislike it, its like some alien place that has landed and in places seems very artificial. However it does have a broad range of housing styles, handy shops, and a nice range or restaurants and bars. Residents praise the village green and play area where people feel safe with a great sense of community.

It does ofcourse have its own problems and i know a woman who lives in dickens heath and has her own small business, but could never afford to 'set up shop' in dickens heath and is instead located in shirley.

i've often thought of Dickens heath as a residntial version of Brindleyplace.
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #22
Mr Glide
He glides like a bird

Likes (Received): 76

Dickens Heath looks like it was designed to be integrated into some kind of giant Legoland.
Poundbury it ain't. Clinical, soulless, a horrid place to drive round, and has about as much finesse as a ballet dancer in Toetecs. It is populated by BMW owning numpties who have more money than sense and who simply must have a Solihull postcode.
I put them on a par with the Audi owning numpties who shoehorn themselves into the anodyne and overpriced Barrett boxes which infested Monkspath in the 1980's, much to the chagrin of nearby residents who lost a very nice green oasis as a result.
Old October 20th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #23
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Glide View Post
I put them on a par with the Audi owning numpties who shoehorn themselves into the anodyne and overpriced Barrett boxes which infested Monkspath in the 1980's, much to the chagrin of nearby residents who lost a very nice green oasis as a result.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2011, 03:06 AM   #24
Mr Glide
He glides like a bird

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Kinoke View Post
...The most aesthetically pleasing bit is the f*cking supermarket. Jesus H.
I'm still baffled as to how the hell it ended up being yet another Sainsbury's?
The retail offer does not bode well based on this 'choice' so far.
Unless the other smaller food outlet is an M&S food.
But it'll probably be yet another Aldi. Or Co-op.
Old October 20th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #25
mikey23

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Dickens Heath looks like it was designed to be integrated into some kind of giant Legoland.
Poundbury it ain't. Clinical, soulless, a horrid place to drive round, and has about as much finesse as a ballet dancer in Toetecs. It is populated by BMW owning numpties who have more money than sense and who simply must have a Solihull postcode.
+1
Dickens Heath. Dickens Hell.
Old October 20th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #26
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
I'm still baffled as to how the hell it ended up being yet another Sainsbury's?
The retail offer does not bode well based on this 'choice' so far.
Unless the other smaller food outlet is an M&S food.
But it'll probably be yet another Aldi. Or Co-op.
Sainsbury's is the better option of a bad lot, I'd have preferred a large M&S or Waitrose would have been very useful and would have drawn people in from outside LB.

As for Dickens Heath, and other similar new build estates I also agree they cram too much in, I have thought for a very long time the government should impose regs on all new builds having x amount of garden space or communial land, this must surely be affecting wildlife, birds, insects, traditional wildlife like hedgehogs etc all are on descrease I believe and this must be partly to blame in some way, humans are not the only thing sharing this earth.

Water features as well, it's amazing how quickly wildlife would flourish but all these estates are just, as already said, cramming in so developers get maximum profit from the land, it is criminal and it also must affect the lives of those having to live on top of each other. A compromise should be sought.

Park Central does have some nice elements, I like bits, but much of it seems cheap, it's just small things that make the bug difference in my opinion, like railings, street layout, greenery, a bit of paint and maintenance. When I drive past there parts look really worn out already. At least with 60s and 70s estates they did offer some gardens and greenery... that seems to the last thing on the minds of developers these days, it's like the local planning have forgotten what actually keeps this planet alove. We can't complain about deforestation in South America, Africa and Asia when we can't even look after the wildlife w have here. Sorry for rant, it just really pisses me off and I really thought Brum would have capitalised on the very green streets we have been proud of for so long.

Nowadays I drive through Victorian streets in the city, and I am appalled by the amount of drives which were once front gardens, concreted or block paves without a single weed, all so that half a dozen status symbol cars can be crammed on with locked gates, although I think this is more a materialistic thing, rightly or wrongly, 6 cars per houshold does not bode well for Brum gardens.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #27
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

I don't think going for upmarket supermarkets would have a positive effect on the area. You have to remember the demographic of the area, which is still suffering from the fall out of MG Rover shutting down. There's a fair chunk of the population who cannot afford to shop at expensive places like M&S Food, and struggle to afford to travel out further to the cheaper supermarkets. Waitrose and M&S can't bank on their success coming from people travelling to the area - it's too much of a gamble. At least Sainsbury's have a fantastic track record of providing sustainable employment to the local population and actually playing an active role in their communities.

If you want my opinion on what should be done with regards to gardens - I think we're coming into an era now where the suburban dream and lifestyle is no longer relevant or sustainable. We cannot keep expanding cities outwards so that people can have their own castle, surrounded by gardens and the garage etc.. As oil runs out and transport becomes more expensive, it's going to become far more difficult for people to travel to the employment hubs in the city centres from way out far in suburbs. Creating denser cities is becoming more and more necessary and is working successfully on the continent - it's just us Brits who seem intent on maintaining that we own our own little bit of country. Communal gardens and allotments would easily help get this illusion out of our minds - and the crushing demand for allotment plots shows that it's possible.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #28
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
If you want my opinion on what should be done with regards to gardens - I think we're coming into an era now where the suburban dream and lifestyle is no longer relevant or sustainable. We cannot keep expanding cities outwards so that people can have their own castle, surrounded by gardens and the garage etc.. As oil runs out and transport becomes more expensive, it's going to become far more difficult for people to travel to the employment hubs in the city centres from way out far in suburbs. Creating denser cities is becoming more and more necessary and is working successfully on the continent - it's just us Brits who seem intent on maintaining that we own our own little bit of country. Communal gardens and allotments would easily help get this illusion out of our minds - and the crushing demand for allotment plots shows that it's possible.
And on that bombshell
Old October 20th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #29
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1576

Its good, if you can no longer build out, you only have one option, which is to build up
Old October 20th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #30
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7677

Waitrose or m&s would do really well here actually there's not really any competition nearby for them and with the lickey hills, beacon and areas like alvechurch and barnt green nearby there's no reason they couldn't do well.
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #31
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2631

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
Very true. We still have a long way to go as developers are unwilling to provide the communal space needed for such progress towards happy higher density. They would rather use that space to build four more houses and give you a small mattress sized garden for more profit.
Having communal car parking is another area. For example, the idea is great but the insurance company would charge you more as your car is not outside your house. Further more if you live in an apartment and have your car in a communal car park they charge you less. Its not just one element unfortunately its the whole flawed system or the epistemology the system is founded on.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #32
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7677

App has gone in for ammendment to the plans, Island the 8 storey apartment building is being dropped due to economic reasons, hotel lobby is being decreased due to over sizing in original plans, resulting in addition of 1 extra retail unit and ammendments to the island block with a redesign

Quote:
Application Details
Application Number 2012/00901/PA
Application Type Minor Material Amendment
Site Address Former MG Rovers works, south of Longbridge Lane east of Bristol Road South and Lickey Road Longbridge Birmingham
Proposal Application for a material minor amendment to previous planning approval 2011/00773/PA to include the removal of residential development from the proposal and variation of Condition 6 relating to the approved plans
New renders for island
image hosted on flickr

1 by sefton 66, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

3 by sefton 66, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

2 by sefton 66, on Flickr
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #33
mikey23

Likes (Received): 126

That looks dreadful.
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #34
daumal

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey23 View Post
That looks dreadful.
I think the whole concept of the Longbridge regeneration is disastrous. It's a poor development in the wrong place - give it twenty years and the city will regret it.
As revealed to St John the Divine.
daumal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #35
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 748

too me, the whole thing looks like a supersized ultramodern university campus. And that is NOT a good thing.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #36
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

hmmm it is starting to look more and more like a polytechnic

that said... i did always think it was ambition to have an 8 storey apartment building in a suburban area in the current economic situation... and alas it appears my initial throught were right!

notwithstanding this, yes im not shocked that apartments arent going to work in this area (well 40 of them in one go) but i am shocked that they have removed all of them and replaced with with an office building!
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #37
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 19

Jeremy Clarkson will be loving this.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #38
woodhousen

lol.....
Old February 7th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #39
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2631

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen View Post
notwithstanding this,
you been reading or writing planning statements by any chance?

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 12:53 AM   #40
woodhousen

both...
Advertisement

Tags
longbridge, park, retail