Longbridge | Former MG Rover Site | Mixed-Use | U/C - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #41
BrummieLad

Likes (Received): 0

Sounds, looks, and designed f***ing awful, designers need to first of plant trees around there and loads, so then you design around that, and it needs to be more smaller and more ''posher'' and not urban, urban needs to be beside and just outside Bham city centre, who the hell designed and thought of this crap needs to drop into a hole of hell. Easily one of the worst things that I have ever seen planned for Bham.

Absolutely awful, it needs to be renamed Longbridge Village and not Town Centre, and needs to have as many trees planted as possible, green and village-esque.
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #42
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7679

You did see the big Austin Park which is the centrepiece?

wasn't you saying South Birmingham needs more places like the Fort and out of town centres yesterday? lol

Last edited by sefton66; February 18th, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #43
BrummieLad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
You did see the big Austin Park which is the centrepiece?

wasn't you saying South Birmingham needs more places like the Fort and out of town centres yesterday? lol
Yes, and I said in Birmingham near the city centre and not on the Bham outskirts or suburbs where 5 min walk down the road and your out of Bham.

Shopping centre's not far from Birmingham City Centre urban core in the urban suburbs as in Edgbaston, Moseley, Kings Heath, Cotteridge, Stirchley, Kings Norton, Selly Oak, Selly Park, Bournbrook & Bournville & etc and not the leafy suburbs of Bham where in a 2 mionute walk and technically your out of the city boundaries.

I would like to think you edited your post because of a mistake and not because of personal rant, swearing and etc.
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2012, 03:01 AM   #44
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 19

this is essentially more low grade bland crap which will further add to Birmingham's portfolio of uninteresting suburban dewellings, at least tower blocks had some kind of presence. But this... future ghetto material.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #45
sefton66

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrummieLad View Post
Yes, and I said in Birmingham near the city centre and not on the Bham outskirts or suburbs where 5 min walk down the road and your out of Bham.

Shopping centre's not far from Birmingham City Centre urban core in the urban suburbs as in Edgbaston, Moseley, Kings Heath, Cotteridge, Stirchley, Kings Norton, Selly Oak, Selly Park, Bournbrook & Bournville & etc and not the leafy suburbs of Bham where in a 2 mionute walk and technically your out of the city boundaries.

I would like to think you edited your post because of a mistake and not because of personal rant, swearing and etc.
Nope I edited in the second question after remembering.

And I have to disagree with Moseley, Kings Heath, Cotteridge, Selly Park, Bournbrook and Bournville. These areas are well established "leafy suburbs" with established High St and Village shopping, to put retail parks/small shopping centre developments in these would make no sense.

I agree with Selly Oak as the main bulk of the high st isn't particularly a busy one as such and already has large retail units, the selly oak triangle development in my opinion is in a great position.

Kings Norton I agree with, mainly again because there isn't exactly a high st, the shopping mainly consists of small convenience style squares which are outdated and run down, again with the 3 estates development a large Tesco is rumoured amongst other retail, no plans are out as yet though.

Stirchley I cant make my mind up on, It could be an ideal location but there is a main stretch of shops, saying that though most are take aways and with large warehouse/retail type units at the top end and the Tesco store being built near to the co op I think it may go this way.

Edgbaston I'd only agree on by the Cricket Ground/ Edgbaston Mill but I think needs to be an outdoor centre with the development surrounded by a parkland/seating areas.

Longbridge on the other hand is a blank canvas, It was always going to have a Retail location. The only shops around Longbridge are small convenience stores and then Northfield and Rubery. With the size of the whole site, the 2000+ homes being built in the area, additional housing being built around the area, new Bournville College and the employment they hope to add to the area it is in a good location in my opinion to capitalise on it. I admit the designs could have been better but as far as not being a site for retail development I do disagree.
Old February 19th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #46
sefton66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Kinoke View Post
this is essentially more low grade bland crap which will further add to Birmingham's portfolio of uninteresting suburban dewellings, at least tower blocks had some kind of presence. But this... future ghetto material.
I admit the designs are not the most inspiring, but I think the Lickey road site never should have contained Housing in my opinion, it backs on to the factory which is still in use, I don't think they could have built the upmarket housing here given its sitting on a main road with a factory practically above it, I don't think they would have sold well, The Lickey road site should have contained small warehouse/office blocks in my opinion.

In my opinion the housing should have been kept to the former powertrain site which is currently undergoing groundworks for the more "upmarket" housing and bigger houses to tie in with the area, and then Longbridge West which is planned for housing to tie in with other parts of existing housing near to the site. The housing up at the moment is only a small area and whilst you might think it is bland, there are only a few remaining, all sold off plans so they have been a success.
Old February 19th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #47
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1974

Another missed opportunity I fear. This could have been a brilliant mix of classic, funky, low rise, high rise and innovative dwellings housed around a park with water and a huge MG heritage museum.
Old February 19th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #48
sefton66

There's still opportunity for a large mg museum, the town centre is only a tiny portion of the whole site. In fact there was a petition for a museum submitted to bromsgrove council with another being launched to Birmingham city council.
Old February 19th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #49
loudrocksurfer

They should have got Westfield or CSC to build a shopping centre there
loudrocksurfer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 03:39 PM   #50
sefton66

More excavting works....

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0692 by sefton 66, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0695 by sefton 66, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0693 by sefton 66, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0697 by sefton 66, on Flickr
Old February 23rd, 2012, 03:40 PM   #51
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14393

What's actually under construction?
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 03:43 PM   #52
sefton66

Groundworks for Phase 1 of the town centre, seems to be taking ages though!

Phase 1A
Sainsbury's Food Store
Retail Units 7-13
Longbridge Lane Retail units 1-6
Old February 23rd, 2012, 03:55 PM   #53
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14393

Oh okay, yeah it seems like it hasn't moved.
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:07 PM   #54
BrummieLad

Longbridge is a leafy rural-esque suburb so if your going to regenerate it, try and keep it nice and leafy suburban and if your regenerating the suburb it means you can make it much nicer cleaner, greenier, ''posher'' if im allowed to say that.

I still agree with shopping centre's big and small should be in kings heath, moseley, cotteridge, stirchley, kings norton, edgbaston by the cricket ground and cannon hill park, selly oak, selly park, bournbrook, bournville and northfield.

Birmingham staying the way it is means were boring bland and will in a few years time be behind many other smaller cities, why when we can be well ahead in the future, look to the future for birmingham and not outskirts like solihull, dudley west brom, theyre not birmingham, forget them we spend birmingham money on birmingham aka them areas i mentioned up there, and not waste our money.
Old February 24th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #55
Mr Glide
He glides like a bird

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudrocksurfer View Post
They should have got Westfield or CSC to build a shopping centre there
Or an Ikea

Oh, wait...
Old February 25th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #56
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

this is all boring as bat shit
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #57
sefton66

Looks like actual construction should pick up on this soon, Morgan Sindall have won the contract by the look of it, mesh screening now covers the fencing around the whole site with their logo on
Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:34 PM   #58
flange

Likes (Received): 6987

Quote:
M&S mulls new store at St Modwen's Longbridge

2 March 2012

By Sarah Townsend

Marks & Spencer is considering ditching plans to anchor a Land Securities scheme in Birmingham and instead open a new store at St Modwen’s Longbridge development.

The retailer was planning to anchor Land Securities’ 430,500 sq ft scheme at Selly Oak with a 120,000 sq ft store, but it is now considering a 140,000 sq ft shop at the redevelopment of the former MG Rover plant in Longbridge.

St Modwen’s scheme has already secured a pre-let to Sainsbury’s for an 85,000 sq ft supermarket.

Marks & Spencer declined to reveal further information on its plans. A spokesman said: “We are always looking to ensure that we have a relevant local offer to our customers in the Birmingham area but we don’t have anything to comment on at this stage.”
http://www.propertyweek.com/news/ms-...032885.article
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:49 PM   #59
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
That's better news. We just need some well designed houses to match the upmarket shopping.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:03 PM   #60
sefton66

Woah thats come as a surprise, 140,000 sq ft would mean expansion to the plans with a much larger unit stuck on the end of the large unit retail block, Great news though, Selly Oak development seems to have stalled with this now and Sainsburys spending money on their current store.

Cheers anyway Flange

And EK the housing thats gone up so far is a tiny amount compared to what is planned, and also on the worst part of the site, They aren't even that bad in my opinion and considering there are less than half left before being built they obviously liked. They are on the most awkward site, Would you really spend hundreds of thousands on a nice big house with a main road on your front doorstep and a factory built on top of it? The up market housing is planned for the Ex Powertrain site near to Cofton Park to match in with the other current upmarket housing that already exists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
longbridge, park, retail