Longbridge | Former MG Rover Site | Mixed-Use | U/C - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:25 PM   #61
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14393

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
Didn't even know M&S was ancoring Selly Oak
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #62
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7688

mobile crawler crane on site tonight
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #63
sefton66

Picture of the crane on site,

image hosted on flickr

Longbridge Town Centre by sefton 66, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #64
sefton66

looks like they've got castings in place over the site ready for some concrete pours, Also Premier Inn now confirmed as hotel operator

Quote:
Premier Inn secures eight sites in a week
19/03/2012 10:37:35
Hospitality recruitment in the UK could be given a boost after UK budget hotel chain Premier Inn secured eight new hotel sites and announced plans to create roughly 400 jobs through the new establishments.

The deals will also add a total of 774 bedrooms to the company's room volume, further establishing its parent company Whitbread as the country's biggest provider of budget accommodation.

Hotels will be developed across the country, with Catterick, Sutton, Longbridge and Eastbourne all in line for a job boost.

John Bates, head of acquisitions for Premier Inn UK & Ireland, said there will be more to come from the company over the course of 2012 as it carries out its expansion plans.

"We're achieving successful growth because of the strong customer demand for Premier Inn around the UK and, importantly, because we're set up to deliver," suggested Mr Bates.

Premier Inn enjoyed a relatively successful 2011 despite the difficult trading conditions which prevail in the UK, with total sales growth of 8.7 per cent.

Posted by Ross J Hink
http://news.caterer.com/article/view...tes-in-a-week/
Old March 20th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #65
loudrocksurfer

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
looks like they've got castings in place over the site ready for some concrete pours, Also Premier Inn now confirmed as hotel operator
Another one there's already one in Great Park
loudrocksurfer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #66
sefton66

Its to compliment the sainsburys we already have in northfield too!

Another mobile crawler crane on site today with more castings being lowered ready for concrete pours
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #67
sefton66

an update from today, now 3 mobile crawler cranes on site, not sure how clear from the image but they have been lowering in castings around the site ready for concrete pours, mainly to the front facing Longbridge Lane and now on the corner by Bournville College, you can just make it out as the black wall behind the fencing

image hosted on flickr

zoomed in
image hosted on flickr

Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:13 PM   #68
sefton66

Ammendments to the River Rea in Austin Park and also some more details on the landscaping and furniture, this looks really good and I like the links to the former works, very well thought out in my opinion. River Rea route is to be realigned to form a better more natural route and corridor through to the other side of the site. Originally the A38 bridge over the current allignment was meant to be going but has since been scrapped/shelved so they have looked at this option instead.

Quote:
Application Details
Application Number 2012/02283/PA
Application Type Full Planning
Site Address Bristol Road South Land East of South of Bournville College Longbridge Birmingham
Proposal Recreational park including alterations to river alignment, new bridge, pedestrian cycle bridge, footpaths, hard & soft landscaping and associated river & drainage infrastructure works
heres the original plan and the proposed ammendment, Plot 7 looks perfect for M&S if the rumours are true, anyone else agree?
image hosted on flickr

Austin Park by sefton 66, on Flickr

heres the two main documents showing the links to the former works and furniture
http://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/N...rod_DC_PLANAPP

http://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/N...rod_DC_PLANAPP
Old April 3rd, 2012, 11:10 AM   #69
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

Premier Inn at Longbridge
By Lisa Pilkington | Investment | Leisure | Retail | 29-03-2012 | 11:08 | Print

St Modwen has signed a deal with Whitbread to open a 75-bedroom Premier Inn and Beefeater Grill at its £70m Longbridge town centre regeneration scheme, in Birmingham.

The hotel chain will join anchor Sainsbury's, which has taken an 85,000 sq ft prelet at the mixed-use scheme.

The new town centre, which is the cornerstone of the wider £1bn regeneration of the 468 acre former MG Rover plant, will also feature 24 shops and restaurants, offices and car parking.

It is scheduled for completion in 2013.

Birmingham-based niche agent BWD advised St Modwen
Old April 4th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #70
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen View Post

St Modwen has signed a deal with Whitbread to open a 75-bedroom Premier Inn and Beefeater Grill at its £70m Longbridge town centre regeneration scheme, in Birmingham.

The hotel chain will join anchor Sainsbury's, which has taken an 85,000 sq ft prelet at the mixed-use scheme.

The new town centre, which is the cornerstone of the wider £1bn regeneration of the 468 acre former MG Rover plant, will also feature 24 shops and restaurants, offices and car parking.

New route looks better and at least we are getting the greenery here, I'm still not sold on the architecture. I just hope this is one of those which ends up looking better than the renders. Fingers crossed as the area deserves it.

To be honest, I really see this area being open to the possibilty of some really good restaurants, Beefeater sounds a bit meh! Sainsbury's will be a good pull, but this is close proximity to North Worcestershire which is the most wealthy part (borough of Bromsgrove), so I'm sure, if thought out well, well thought out eateries would have potential to do well.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #71
Rainbow warrior

Likes (Received): 0

though as its generally home to some of the more poorer people in the country, then an area and facilities for all who can actually afford to eat may mean Beefeater is a safer option in terms of regular custom and not pricing out your locals.
Rainbow warrior no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #72
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow warrior View Post
though as its generally home to some of the more poorer people in the country, then an area and facilities for all who can actually afford to eat may mean Beefeater is a safer option in terms of regular custom and not pricing out your locals.
If you know your history then you should know that Longbridge, the factory, attracted and employed people from all over the West Midlands, a large percentage of workers were from Bromsgrove, I see the area as part of the West Midlands, not just Birmingham.

Barnt Green and Alvechurch are a stones throw away and there are actually some very nice areas around Northfield, West Heath etc which are not poor at all. Yes there are some very poor and rough parts of Northfield and Rubery, but I'd say much of that is because it has been allowed to rot in parts, by successive councils.

I once caught a taxi to Frankly and the driver explained there were two streets he would not pick up or drop off from in that area unless he knew the passengers, so must be bad to get that reputation. However, my family spent many hapy years in Northfield during the 1970s which in the grand scheme of things, is not that long ago, and their memories (and photos) show a completely different story to today, I think the whole area from Longbridge to Northfield has massive potential and has retained enough "good bits" to become popular again. I think there are enough Beefeater style restaurants around for those on a low budget, but that's just my opinion, besides, how cheap IS Beefeater? Is it just pub grub these days?
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #73
Rainbow warrior

I know my History, l was also born close to the Longbridge plant and both grandparents worked there.

But thanks for asking.
Old April 4th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #74
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen View Post

Lookingto the future, do we know if the plans for major technology investment have been shelved? i.e. is Longbridge simply going to be housing estates (which is all I've seen so far), I know there will be part time unskilled labour frying burgers in Beefeater and stacking shelves in Sainsbury's and changing dirty bedsheets in the hotel, but what plans are there to replace Longrbidge Plant with some skilled, well paid employment, something for the kids to aspire to. I was hoping to have seen some really major wins for this area, so much potential in its location. We really need some imaginative plans, to truly unlock the potential of this part of the southern suburbs.
Old April 4th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #75
SuttonBluenose

Likes (Received): 17

Here's a random fact.

My old driving instructor used to work at Longbridge a draughtsman, back in the 50s-60s.

Henry George, Progress and Poverty (1879), Book IV Chapter II
SuttonBluenose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #76
Rainbow warrior

I think children in south Birmingham do aspire to more than 'flipping Burgers'...

despite the nature in the past of a council dumping ground for the unwanted or troubled, there are some great schools in the area and lm sure plenty with skills, plenty who went to University and lm sure plenty who will still aspire to do that!

Some may want to rise through the ranks at Sainsbury, Beefeater and hotels etc to be in charge of them...so they shouldnt really be looked upon in a different light because they are not and engineer or computer expert.

The Tech Industry area should be aimed at Digbeth.

Sutton, my Grandad was always hassled by the press because he worked at Longbridge and just so happend to have the same name as the Trade Union Boss at the Plant, 'Red Robbo'...so when a strike was called the local and national press would be phoning him every few minutes for his views.

He was not impressed and never went on strike on his life.
Old April 4th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #77
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Quote:
I think children in south Birmingham do aspire to more than 'flipping Burgers'...

despite the nature in the past of a council dumping ground for the unwanted or troubled, there are some great schools in the area and lm sure plenty with skills, plenty who went to University and lm sure plenty who will still aspire to do that!
Haha, no no you don't get away with that sweeping statement.

The lack of investment in the fabric of the streets, lack of policing, lack of care for a community and lack of inclusion or linking up in what has been going on in the city centre has led to a disenfranchised community. I'm really not sure it's all about moving problem families there. So Longbridge is a chance to set that wrong right! Give the community something special to be proud of and to show them there is more to life than part time unskilled labour in a grotty run down high street.

Quote:
Some may want to rise through the ranks at Sainsbury, Beefeater and hotels etc to be in charge of them...so they shouldnt really be looked upon in a different light because they are not and engineer or computer expert. The Tech Industry area should be aimed at Digbeth.
Come on.. you don't honestly believe that working part time unskilled in a supermarket is going to offer a better future than training as an engineer, or lab assistant, or scientist etc. And besides, from my experience, part time unskilled labour is often taken by immigrants (not that it bothers me personally), with low wages and quick access to jobs, i.e. you don't need much previous experience.

Digbeth is already progressing with micro industries/design and so on, it has potential, but no where near as much as a vast empty wasteland close to the main motorways of the M42/M5 and M6 that is ready and waiting for new builds, I don't even care what the buildings look like, this is less an issue here, we need exciting employment opportunities, skilled labour opportunity and something to replace the several thousand skilled work force (even an assembly line is more skilled than shelf stacking).
Old April 4th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #78
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

We can agree on one thing though, there is at least one extremely good school in that area which I have had direct dealings with and considering the location, and the stereotyed image some may have, it outshines many schools across the country for inclusion and a relaxed atmosphere for all to learn in.
Old April 4th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #79
sefton66

EK, the link below shows the plan that was proposed from the start,

There are still huge areas of the site that are empty at the moment, the only fronts that seem to be moving at the moment are the housing and town centre, there are still plans for expansion of the technology centre with another phase over the other side of the Bristol Road along with commercial and employment areas of the remaining site. As well as more industrial/warehouse units planned for the now fully let Cofton Centre. There are still the original plans to create 10,000 jobs and 2000 new homes as has always been the plan.

http://www.longbridgebirmingham.co.uk/grand-plan.html
Old April 4th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #80
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
EK, the link below shows the plan that was proposed from the start,

There are still huge areas of the site that are empty at the moment, the only fronts that seem to be moving at the moment are the housing and town centre, there are still plans for expansion of the technology centre with another phase over the other side of the Bristol Road along with commercial and employment areas of the remaining site. As well as more industrial/warehouse units planned for the now fully let Cofton Centre. There are still the original plans to create 10,000 jobs and 2000 new homes as has always been the plan.

http://www.longbridgebirmingham.co.uk/grand-plan.html
Cheers, well lets hope the area gets what it deserves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
longbridge, park, retail