LONG ISLAND | General Developments Updates/Compilation - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > New York City > NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT

NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT Westchester and Rockland counties | Nassau and Suffolk counties | Fairfield County

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2014, 02:55 PM   #81
Urbanica

Likes (Received): 93

Hempstead - Downtown - $2 Billion Dollar Makeover - Update

Supposedly, the master developer, Renaissance Downtowns, has submitted the site plan to the Village of Hempstead for Phase II of this project, which I think comprises a lot right near the train station (as opposed to Phase I, which was about 7-10 blocks away).

This makes two proposed buildings to kick off this project. I am searching everywhere for renderings...will post when I get them.

I am looking for the day when all this starts happening. If any place on Long Island should be "downtown Long Island", it should be Hempstead...it is already a small city (55K population) in its own right, with downtown laid out for larger scale development, at the end of the Hempstead line of the Long Island Railroad, and right in the center of the county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanica View Post
I didnt know that this was being held up for various reasons, now I see why. However, I am still on the fence with Renaissance Downtowns, the master developer. Big schemes and plans churn out of their office, and there never seems to be much progress on the street with shovels in the ground. I would love this Hempstead project to take off in a huge way, because those of us on Long Island know that Hempstead really needs something. This project is huge.

Hempstead Village $2.5B redevelopment plan revived
Originally published: March 30, 2014 6:48 PM
Updated: March 30, 2014 10:29 PM
By AISHA AL-MUSLIM

Hempstead Village's $2.5 billion downtown redevelopment project is getting back on track after a year of disputes over the LIRR parking lot, a vacant community development leadership position and tensions about where the project would start.

The Main Street makeover includes residences, a hotel, shops, open space, parking and entertainment venues. Federal and state grants and private investments will fund the project, which is to be built over 10 years, developers and village officials said.

Timeline: Hempstead Village's downtown redevelopment

February 2012 Plainview-based Renaissance Downtowns and Manhattan-based /UrbanAmerica? cq'd as one word in the story/kmd are selected as master developer. /UrbanAmerica/ was part of the original failed redevelopment plan in 2007.

July 2012 Village board adopts downtown overlay zone that allows mixed-used development.

January 2013 Village board approves a community benefits agreement with the master developer by a 3-2 vote.

November 2013 First site plan is submitted for a 336-unit, five-story rental apartment complex on a municipal parking lot across from Hempstead Town Hall.

February 2014 Danielle T. Oglesby is hired as the new commissioner of the Hempstead Village Community Development Agency.

....more in Newsday
Urbanica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #82
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 18450

Do you have any news on Patchogue various redevelopments?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #83
Urbanica

Patchogue - Downtown Rundown

At the request of NEXIS, here is a quick rundown of what I am aware of in downtown Patchogue in the last few years. Patchogue is somewhat of the poster child on what a Village on Long Island can do to re-invent itself. Patchogue was relatively rundown 2 decades ago; times have definitely changed:

1. Patchogue New Village - Massive, approx 300 rentals in the heart of downtown
2. Riverwalk - 163 condos at the western/southwestern edge of downtown.
3. Artspace Patchogue - Patchogue's answer to the Artspace projects occurring in many cities. 45 units built in 2011.
4. Copper Beech - Approx 5 years old (I think), approximately 80 townhouses in the heart of downtown
5. The Village Walk - Proposed Senior Living complex on Main St at downtown edge.

These are the major ones I know about. Main St has a really nice collection of retail, restaurants, bars, and a very active performing arts center. One of my friends commented recently about Patchogue, "A lot of people from Brooklyn have moved out there, definitely a cool vibe".

1. Patchogue New Village. Massive remake of downtown with about 300 rentals along Main St with significant retail at the street level. Recently completely (2014).

http://www.newsday.com/opinion/colum...obie-1.8592159

TRITEC Website

2. Riverwalk Patchogue - Relatively attractive townhomes, built to the street along West Ave (which was completely reconstructed itself and is a nice drive).

http://www.visionlongisland.org/smar.../04-13-12.html

http://www.theriverwalkatpatchogue.com/

3. Copper Beech - More townhouses built close to the street and immediately facing Gerard and Ocean Aves, making a nice streetwall.

http://www.empirestatefuture.org/geography/state/homes-towns-and-home-rule/attachment/copperbeach-patchogue/

4. Artspace Patchogue - Almost accross the street from Copper Beech.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/towns/artspace-patchogue-lofts-1.7586213

5. The Village Walk. Tax abatement just approved by the Village. I don't have any info regarding construction.

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.5569116.1372212027!/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/display_600/image.JPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2014, 02:05 PM   #84
Urbanica

Riverhead - Downtown Stuff

Riverhead, the county seat, is located at the mouth of the Peconic River (the biggest "river" on Long Island at 15 miles long) where the North and South Forks come together. It has a compact Village Center and relatively attractive Main St with a decent amount of restaurants and shops. The Long Island Aquarium is located at downtown's eastern edge. Downtown has been beefing up the past 5 years or so; here is a rundown:

1. Summerwind Square - completed a few years ago. 52 workforce units. I drove by over the summer, it presents well.

http://media.timesreview.com.s3.amaz...rwind_BE_C.jpg

2. Former "Blue River Estates" - Was a 48 unit rental, now will be workforce housing with the same site plan as what was Blue River Estates (rendering below). The new developer will use the same building design, I believe:

http://www.riverheadlocal.com/tag/blue-river-estates/

3. Woolworth Building - Redevelopment of a vacant (for over a decade) former Woolworth store on Main St. into ground floor retail and 19 apartments above (no rendering)

4. Hyatt Place - This was built a few years ago at the eastern edge of downtown and is adjacent to the Long Island Aquarium.

Old October 17th, 2014, 07:39 AM   #85
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Wow , I guess i'll have to take a Trip out there...
Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:43 PM   #86
Urbanica

North Hills - Dealertrack HQ - Design Change

A new design unveiled. Maybe its a little better; its in a highly visible location next to the Long Island Expressway, so hopefully it will be prominent and show well. Ground has already been broken.

http://www.spectorgroup.com/dealertrack-technologies/

Quote:
Great for jobs and keeping a .com on Long Island. However, I really wish one of these companies would opt for something that isnt so car oriented. There are a few LI downtowns that might be great for a project like this of this magnitude (Hicksville, Hempstead, Rockville Centre to name a few). Anyway, 500 jobs kept here an promises of 350 more. From:

http://libn.com/2014/04/11/dealertra...lls-expansion/

Dealertrack to add 350 jobs in North Hills expansion
By: David Winzelberg April 11, 2014

Lake Success-based Dealertrack Technologies will soon expand to a yet-to-be-built 233,000-square-foot headquarters on 9 acres in North Hills, and promises to add more than 350 new jobs to the 500 or so employees it already has here.

Terms of the deal weren’t disclosed.

The company, which provides data access and inventory management software for automotive dealers, had kicked the tires of sites in five states, as well as a few other locations nearby, including the space that Canon USA vacated in the spring of 2013, but ultimately decided to have a building designed for them built from scratch, according to industry sources.

The new environmentally-friendly, LEED-certified building planned for 3400 New Hyde Park Road is about one mile from DealerTrack’s current Lake Success headquarters and should be ready in early 2016, according to a company statement. The site is vacant land owned by Castagna Realty, which also owns the Americana shopping center in Manhasset. The new building was designed by The Spector Group in Woodbury, and will be built by a partnership between Castagna and East Setauket-based Tritec Development.

Read more: http://libn.com/2014/04/11/dealertra...#ixzz2zAxcJX2E
Old November 2nd, 2014, 01:39 AM   #87
Faela
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9071

Why is prohibited to build a tall in Nassau and suffolk counties?
Faela no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 09:50 AM   #88
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faela View Post
Why is prohibited to build a tall in Nassau and suffolk counties?
Its not prohibited , its just not a popular thing. Its Mostly a Suburban Island.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:10 PM   #89
Faela
BANNED

I've read is prohibited in Nassau once. I dont know if was right.
Thank you
Old November 2nd, 2014, 05:15 PM   #90
Middle-Island

Most (if not all) of the condo-rental construction in Long Island's downtowns is modest midrise. It's a start -- a change in the attitude east of Westbury that anything over 3 stories is a skyscraper out here.

I read about a 12-story residential proposed for Glen Cove, which I believe is still in the approval process. Long Beach has a 15-story coming. These are the only two Long Island locales designated as 'cities', however.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:21 AM   #91
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Where is that 15 story building going up in Long Beach?
Old November 4th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #92
Urbanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Where is that 15 story building going up in Long Beach?
Its the "Superblock" site at the Boardwalk, Broadway and Long Beach Blvd. The lot has been vacant for decades. I haven't heard much about this in the press in the last 6-7 months, but I have no reason to think it is still not a go. Can't wait to see these rise...there will finally be some retail (and some actual height variation) on the Boardwalk. There has been no retail whatsoever since a small commercial strip with a bar, ice cream shop, and pizza place was ripped down about 10 years ago for a somewhat non-descript mid-rise.
Old November 4th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #93
Urbanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle-Island View Post
Most (if not all) of the condo-rental construction in Long Island's downtowns is modest midrise. It's a start -- a change in the attitude east of Westbury that anything over 3 stories is a skyscraper out here.

I read about a 12-story residential proposed for Glen Cove, which I believe is still in the approval process. Long Beach has a 15-story coming. These are the only two Long Island locales designated as 'cities', however.
Also, if it actually ever gets built, Heartland Town Square, the massive mini-city proposed in Brentwood, has a few 10-15 story buildings proposed I believe.
Old November 9th, 2014, 06:08 PM   #94
Middle-Island

Quote:
Also, if it actually ever gets built, Heartland Town Square, the massive mini-city proposed in Brentwood, has a few 10-15 story buildings proposed I believe.
In some early proposals featured in Newsday, there was mention of 20 or 22 story apartments. But this is going back more than 10 years, possibly 15. In less time than that, Charles Wang's "Lighthouse" got cut from 60 stories down to 31. Latest I read, no more than nondescript mid-rises in what was to be Mitchell Field's grand redevelopment in Uniondale. Not to mention...good-bye Islanders in the process...

But to love Long Island is to be really really patient in these things. The identity here is still strongly suburban. We really have no urban areas that come close to being satellite cities of New York. I'm sure Nexis would agree as he's traveled LI, we have nothing resembling New Brunswick, and certainly nothing that could even have the potential to develop into a Fort Lee or Jersey City. Same goes for places such as White Plains and Stamford in terms of principal business centers (as they used to say at Rand McNally). We sprawl as badly as some southern cities out here. If anything, Nassau and Suffolk counties are laid out more like the LA basin than what you'd typically find in the northeast.
Old November 12th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #95
Faela
BANNED

Dont you think Long Beach is a city very badly used ? It could be a Santa Monica, Australia Gold Coast, Aventura, Costa Mesa in New York , but never developed much. Has a poor appearance. It could be a beach town with buildings , parks , malls , dont you think ?
Old November 13th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #96
Urbanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faela View Post
Dont you think Long Beach is a city very badly used ? It could be a Santa Monica, Australia Gold Coast, Aventura, Costa Mesa in New York , but never developed much. Has a poor appearance. It could be a beach town with buildings , parks , malls , dont you think ?
Faela - To a certain extent, I agree. In general, the City is pretty well kept; the residential districts are in generally nice, some really nice, both the main commercial streets Park Ave and Beech are in my opinion pretty cool, but definitely not upper end. They do get pretty crowded on weekend nights and there are a lot of restaurants and bars; overall it looks pretty good and there is definitely a funky Long Beach "scene". But, for the most part, it is still almost completely a commuter town for NYC. Where you are 100% correct without a doubt is what should be Long Beach's main draw...the ocean. The beach itself is stunning, the boardwalk is great, but the strip along Broadway next to the Ocean never developed right and is pretty unattractive. It's a hodgepodge of newer condos, older apartments, some old rooming houses from Long Beach's rough old days, and the streetscape is just plain ugly. A few years ago the upscale Allegria Hotel opened on the oceanfront, and the recent iStar proposal continues as what is hopefully a recognition that the Oceanfront needs to have more for the City to get more on the radar.

Faela liked this post
Old November 14th, 2014, 01:34 AM   #97
Urbanica

Uniondale - Nassau Coliseum Site - BASS PRO!

The exclamation point on the title of this message is clearly sarcastic. The redevelopment of the Nassau Coliseum site is a huge wasted opportunity. Aside from losing the New York Islanders (moving to Brooklyn next year), the Nassau coliseum site is dumbed down to a smaller venue (12K seats or so), a glorified bowling alley, and now, Bass Pro shops is opening a flagship store there. I can hear all my fellow Buffalo posters chuckle. This could have been an amazing redo of the hub, espousing new suburbia and smart growth, and it is turning into a strip mall with lipstick. Good work, Nassau County and the Town of Hempstead. The bulk of the shortsightedness is definitely with the Town.

Bass Pro Shops coming to Long Island

By: David Winzelberg November 13, 2014

Bass Pro Shops has signed a letter of intent to lease a new superstore that will anchor the retail component around a rebuilt Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale.

Read more: http://libn.com/2014/11/13/bass-pro-...#ixzz3Izxp8n9J
Old December 3rd, 2014, 08:18 AM   #98
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Anything proposed for Great Neck?
Old December 7th, 2014, 04:30 PM   #99
Urbanica

Hempstead - Downtown - Approvals

I missed this in the news recently, but the first two buildings of Hempstead's massive downtown redevelopment have been approved. It looks like 336 apartments in two 5 story buildings on two plots that are not adjacent. Still no renderings...

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/t...214?pts=932426

Hempstead Village redevelopment plan's first phase gets OK
Updated November 18, 2014 8:53 PM
By JOHN ASBURY

The Hempstead Village Planning Board approved two five-floor apartment buildings to be constructed in the first phase of the $2.5 billion downtown redevelopment project.

The board voted 3-2 Monday for Plainview-based Renaissance Downtowns to build the 336-unit apartments at Washington and Front streets. The site now is used for two parking lots across from Hempstead Town Hall.

...more in the article

Quote:
Supposedly, the master developer, Renaissance Downtowns, has submitted the site plan to the Village of Hempstead for Phase II of this project, which I think comprises a lot right near the train station (as opposed to Phase I, which was about 7-10 blocks away).

This makes two proposed buildings to kick off this project. I am searching everywhere for renderings...will post when I get them.

I am looking for the day when all this starts happening. If any place on Long Island should be "downtown Long Island", it should be Hempstead...it is already a small city (55K population) in its own right, with downtown laid out for larger scale development, at the end of the Hempstead line of the Long Island Railroad, and right in the center of the county.
Old December 8th, 2014, 06:12 AM   #100
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Why are the towns so huge on LI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
lirr, long island, new york, ronkonkoma